PDA

View Full Version : New Nike Throwback '91-'92 Jerseys Coming Soon?

BlueDevilBrowns
11-07-2013, 01:42 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/feed/sports/college/ohio-state-basketball-to-wear-alternate-throwback/fWRY8/

Looks like Duke will be wearing old-school jerseys from 1991-1992 at some point this year.

***NOTE*** I would have posted this in an existing uniform thread(as we have several already) but my PC at work wouldn't cooperate. Feel free to move if needed.

Gthoma2a
11-07-2013, 01:53 PM
I wonder if we will be able to find out prior to those games. I intend to wear my Laettner jersey that day.

wilson
11-07-2013, 02:07 PM
My goodness, I really hope this is true. I'm of the opinion that, with the extra trim and the embellishments and the black and the "sublimated designs" and all that other nonsense, the appearance of our unis has pretty much been consistently downhill since the early '90s.

Henderson
11-07-2013, 04:13 PM
My goodness, I really hope this is true. I'm of the opinion that, with the extra trim and the embellishments and the black and the "sublimated designs" and all that other nonsense, the appearance of our unis has pretty much been consistently downhill since the early '90s.

Could be a lot worse. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/21824193/photo-shabazz-muhammad-shows-off-uclas-new-sleeved-uniforms

dukebballcamper90-91
11-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Can't wait to see these. Would love for us to go back to them for every game.

flyingdutchdevil
11-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Can't wait to see these. Would love for us to go back to them for every game.

Hehehehehe. Someone needs to start a poll asking what jerseys they prefer:

a) I graduated college post 1999 and I like the current jerseys
b) I graduated college post 1999 and I dislike the current jerseys
c) I graduated college pre 1999 and I like the current jerseys
d) I graduated college pre 1999 and I dislike the current jerseys

Betting that choices a) and d) will be very popular.

MCFinARL
11-07-2013, 04:49 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/feed/sports/college/ohio-state-basketball-to-wear-alternate-throwback/fWRY8/

Looks like Duke will be wearing old-school jerseys from 1991-1992 at some point this year.

***NOTE*** I would have posted this in an existing uniform thread(as we have several already) but my PC at work wouldn't cooperate. Feel free to move if needed.

Any chance of throwback 1991-92 shorts?

wilson
11-07-2013, 05:24 PM

Betting that choices a) and d) will be very popular.I graduated (from Duke) post-1999, and I vastly prefer the pre-'99 uniforms.

Native
11-07-2013, 05:59 PM

Betting that choices a) and d) will be very popular.

I think you'd be surprised.

I'm at Duke now and really don't like the new jerseys. This is a breath of fresh air and I'd be willing to wager more than a few current students agree with me. When they make the throwback jerseys available to the public —I'm a real wanker for saying this.I assume Nike is not so stupid they won't make the throwback jerseys available to the public — they'll sell like hotcakes.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing Luol-and-JJ-era jerseys, either. Those weren't too shabby.

Duvall
11-07-2013, 06:04 PM

I'm at Duke now and really don't like the new jerseys. This is a breath of fresh air and I'd be willing to wager more than a few current students agree with me. When they make the throwback jerseys available to the public —I'm a real wanker for saying this.I assume Nike is not so stupid they won't make the throwback jerseys available to the public — they'll sell like hotcakes.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing Luol-and-JJ-era jerseys, either. Those weren't too shabby.

This is probably just the latest iteration of the special jerseys worn in rivalry games between Nike U. and UnderArmour State. Replicas of the earlier alternates were sold, so these probably will be.

Henderson
11-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Could be a lot worse. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/21824193/photo-shabazz-muhammad-shows-off-uclas-new-sleeved-uniforms

Sorry to quote myself, but I found this in my pile of "it could be worse" junk.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24198942/photo-oregon-georgetown-donning-camostyle-unis-in-south-korea

Newton_14
11-07-2013, 08:25 PM

I agree. I love those old Jerseys and most people don't realize they lasted until I believe 2004. We went to the lighter shade of blue with the black trim mixed in, in I believe the 04-05 season. That's off the top of my head without checking. The Jason Williams teams, as well as the Daniel Ewing/Redick/Shelden/Luol team definitely wore the dark blue uni's very similar to the 91/92 Champ teams..

I hate the Nike uniform extortion prices scam, but will definitely succumb to the pressure and buy one of the throwback jerseys when they come out! Wonder if we will wear them in the Maryland game again. It is usually Maryland home game I believe when we wear these (against non-Nike opponent)

Potato Head
11-07-2013, 08:26 PM

Simpler is always better...

and camo is always terrible.

wilson
11-07-2013, 08:47 PM
I agree. I love those old Jerseys and most people don't realize they lasted until I believe 2004. We went to the lighter shade of blue with the black trim mixed in, in I believe the 04-05 season.On a permanent basis, you're about right. However, the erosion began far sooner. If I'm not mistaken, the first time black appeared on a Duke uniform (a basketball uniform, anyway) was in January 199. The team came out in black jerseys and Ricky Price hit a buzzer-beating 3 from the corner to beat the Twerps in Cole Fieldhouse.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1996-02-29/sports/1996060074_1_timeout-terps-maryland
And really, the uniform erosion began in 1994-5, with the addition of the weird contrasting shoulder panels to the jerseys:
There were a lot of things to forget about that season, of course, and frankly the uniforms aren't even that close to the top of that list. In retrospect, they're not that bad. I'd happily take them back if we could get rid of the black in return. But they were still an adulteration, and I consider them the beginning of a dispiriting trend.

Duvall
11-07-2013, 08:52 PM
On a permanent basis, you're about right. However, the erosion began far sooner. If I'm not mistaken, the first time black appeared on a Duke uniform (a basketball uniform, anyway) was in January 199. The team came out in black jerseys and Ricky Price hit a buzzer-beating 3 from the corner to beat the Twerps in Cole Fieldhouse.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1996-02-29/sports/1996060074_1_timeout-terps-maryland

No, Duke wore blue in that game. The black jerseys first appeared against St. Joseph's in the Preseason NIT that following fall.

Newton_14
11-07-2013, 08:53 PM
On a permanent basis, you're about right. However, the erosion began far sooner. If I'm not mistaken, the first time black appeared on a Duke uniform (a basketball uniform, anyway) was in January 199. The team came out in black jerseys and Ricky Price hit a buzzer-beating 3 from the corner to beat the Twerps in Cole Fieldhouse.
And really, the uniform erosion began in 1994-5, with the addition of the weird contrasting shoulder panels to the jerseys:
There were a lot of things to forget about that season, of course, and frankly the uniforms aren't even that close to the top of that list. In retrospect, they're not that bad. I'd happily take them back if we could get rid of the black in return. But they were still an adulteration, and I consider them the beginning of a dispiriting trend.

Good points and while I don't dislike the Black uni's at all, I despised those gawd-awful 94-95 uni's. Awful.

wilson
11-07-2013, 08:56 PM
No, Duke wore blue in that game. The black jerseys first appeared against St. Joseph's in the Preseason NIT that following fall.I stand corrected. My general impression of the black units' origin was reasonably accurate though, and my broader point remains: our sartorial decline has been a long and gradual process.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-07-2013, 09:34 PM
I stand corrected. My general impression of the black units' origin was reasonably accurate though, and my broader point remains: our sartorial decline has been a long and gradual process.

When we used the black jersey as an alternate to the normal blue road jersey on special occasions, I thought they were boss.

In 04-05, when we incorporated the black as a trim color in the home jersey and then later used it a ton in the blue road jersey, it lost it's juice.

But the worst change of all was the slightly lighter shade of blue Nike gave us in 04-05. Not cool.

throatybeard
11-08-2013, 12:13 AM

It's interesting that you say that, grasshoppa! If there was a Luol era, it was the only year he was here, and that was 2003-04. And that was the last year the blue uniforms were unmolested. Not worn for every road game, but still not messed up. The iconic picture of Duhon beating UNC is where it's at. In 2004-05, they introduced the black trim on the blue unis.

I don't know why neither Duke, nor, now, Carolina (FB), can't figure out that black looks awful as a trim color for blue. Actually, worse for dark blue than for light blue. Although they're liable to smear some particularly ugly light blue argyle on it.

I've given up. I reserve the right to talk about history, but I'm pretty sure Duke will never again have road uniforms that appeal to me. I've made my peace with that. I have VHS tapes of the Before Time.

At least I didn't go to Oregon.

sagegrouse
11-08-2013, 09:38 AM
At least I didn't go to Oregon.

Or Maryland. -- sage