PDA

View Full Version : Champions Classic to continue for 3 more years

loran16
11-07-2013, 12:46 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24198819/champions-classic-renewed-for-three-more-years

The next three years look like this:

11/18/14: Kansas vs. Kentucky/Duke vs. Michigan State (in Indianapolis)
11/17/15: Kansas vs. Michigan State/Duke vs. Kentucky (Chicago)
11/15/16: Kentucky vs. Michigan State/Duke vs. Kansas (New York City)

I think I speak for all of us when I say: Hell yes.

forbiddendonut
11-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Are you more excited about: (a) the excellent matchups through 2016 or (b) the anger this will arouse in the Tarheel fanbase?

Perhaps I should add... (c) Like my children, I love them equally

brevity
11-07-2013, 01:00 PM
11/17/15: Kansas vs. Michigan State/Duke vs. Kentucky (Chicago)

No offense, but Chicago hardly seems like the venue to judge BBQ.

Dev11
11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Are you more excited about: (a) the excellent matchups through 2016 or (b) the anger this will arouse in the Tarheel fanbase?

Perhaps I should add... (c) Like my children, I love them equally

Temper (b):

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9879552/kentucky-wildcats-john-calipari-finalizing-champions-classic-unc-tar-heels-ucla-bruins-ohio-state-buckeyes

Ichabod Drain
11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24198819/champions-classic-renewed-for-three-more-years

I think I speak for all of us when I say: Hell yes.

Awesome! Though I wish they were coming back down to Atlanta one year :(

jimsumner
11-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Portions of Duke press release.

"The State Farm Champions Classic, a neutral site doubleheader featuring Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and Michigan State, has been renewed for three years as announced by ESPN Wednesday. The early-season event, matching four of the winningest programs in college basketball, will be played in Indianapolis (2014), Chicago (2015) and New York City (2016) with venues to be determined.

“The Champions Classic has turned out to be an amazing idea,” said Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski. “The quality of basketball with four outstanding programs under one roof in early November is a great way to kick off the college basketball season. We have been honored to be a part of it and are thrilled that this is going to continue for the next three years.”

The marquee matchups, which began in 2011, will continue to be the culminating games of ESPN’s College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon that provides more than 24 hours of consecutive basketball coverage to mark the start of the college basketball.

The third installment of the State Farm Champions Classic – on Tuesday, Nov. 12, from the United Center in Chicago – will showcase four of the top five teams in the nation: No. 2 Michigan State vs. No. 1 Kentucky (7:30 p.m.) and No. 5 Kansas vs. No. 4 Duke (9:30 p.m.). The inaugural game was held at Madison Square Garden in 2011 followed by the Georgia Dome in 2012.

Future Champions Classic Matchups

Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2014 (Indianapolis)

· Kansas vs. Kentucky

· Michigan State vs. Duke

Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2015 (Chicago)

· Kansas vs. Michigan State

· Kentucky vs. Duke

Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016 (New York City)

· Kentucky vs. Michigan State

· Duke vs. Kansas

· “The Champions Classic is a premier event in college basketball and an ideal way to tip-off the season,” said Nick Dawson, ESPN senior director, programming and acquisitions. “It doesn’t get much better than concluding a 24-hour marathon of hoops with four of the best programs in the country playing each other. We want to thank the schools and the cities of Indianapolis, Chicago and New York City for continuing what has become a must-see event in basketball.”