PDA

View Full Version : Al Featherston's Latest

JBDuke
11-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Many of you know what a privilege it is to have Al Featherston's contributions to DBR on a regular basis. For those of you that don't know, be sure to check out Al's latest post on the main page, titled either "A Busy Weekend at Duke" or "Two Seasons Collide", depending on what page you're looking at. The article is at this link: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2013/11/7/5076324/two-seasons-collide

Al's column isn't just one article - it's several attached together. First, he discusses the relatively unusual circumstance of having games of consequence in November for both Duke football and Duke basketball providing a historical perspective on the situation that few writers can bring. Second, he talks about some of the early season challenges for the basketball team and how this team is significantly more challenged in that respect than recent Krzyzewski squads. Third, he discusses the football's teams situation, including the remaining schedule, and reasons for optimism for Duke football fans. And then in the "Notes" section at the end, we get three more items - a discussion of Duke's preseason basketball rankings, a Davidson basketball preview, and a tribute to Duke great Ace Parker, who passed away this week at the age of 101.

Excellent work, as always, from a DBR treasure.

OldPhiKap
11-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Many of you know what a privilege it is to have Al Featherston's contributions to DBR on a regular basis. For those of you that don't know, be sure to check out Al's latest post on the main page, titled either "A Busy Weekend at Duke" or "Two Seasons Collide", depending on what page you're looking at. The article is at this link: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2013/11/7/5076324/two-seasons-collide

Al's column isn't just one article - it's several attached together. First, he discusses the relatively unusual circumstance of having games of consequence in November for both Duke football and Duke basketball providing a historical perspective on the situation that few writers can bring. Second, he talks about some of the early season challenges for the basketball team and how this team is significantly more challenged in that respect than recent Krzyzewski squads. Third, he discusses the football's teams situation, including the remaining schedule, and reasons for optimism for Duke football fans. And then in the "Notes" section at the end, we get three more items - a discussion of Duke's preseason basketball rankings, a Davidson basketball preview, and a tribute to Duke great Ace Parker, who passed away this week at the age of 101.

Excellent work, as always, from a DBR treasure.

As usual, Al's article is both informative and entertaining. Very well done.

devil84
11-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Al's articles are always fascinating, informative, and well-written. This one is spectacular. Well done, Al.

Bob Green
11-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Al's the best! :D I truly enjoy reading his work.

75Crazie
11-07-2013, 11:45 AM
I never forgave the old, defunct Durham Sun when they canned Featherston and kept Dascenzo. The Sun definitely got the worst of that deal.

Kedsy
11-07-2013, 01:19 PM
It's a nice article, but I think Al uncharacteristically said a couple things that weren't entirely true:

Freshman Elliot Williams, who would play a major role later in the season, was not in the rotation in November.

Elliot Williams averaged 15.9 minutes per game in 7 November contests in 2008. He was definitely in the November rotation.

Senior center Brian Zoubek, who would play such a huge role in winning the national championship, played little early as he tried to regain his game after missing much of the previous two seasons with injuries.

Brian Zoubek averaged 16.2 mpg in 6 November games in 2009. That's not "play[ing] little," especially compared to his 18.7 mpg he played for the entire season.

I admit I may be nitpicking, as neither of the above errors are important to the article, but I'm used to relying on Al Featherston's facts, so I was a little surprised.

sagegrouse
11-07-2013, 02:57 PM
It's a nice article, but I think Al uncharacteristically said a couple things that weren't entirely true:

Elliot Williams averaged 15.9 minutes per game in 7 November contests in 2008. He was definitely in the November rotation.

Brian Zoubek averaged 16.2 mpg in 6 November games in 2009. That's not "play[ing] little," especially compared to his 18.7 mpg he played for the entire season.

I admit I may be nitpicking, as neither of the above errors are important to the article, but I'm used to relying on Al Featherston's facts, so I was a little surprised.

I hate to make a "suggestion" to a Renaissance man, but BZ averaged 23.9 minutes per game in the final 16 games, beginning with the breakout game against UMd. In the first 24 games he averaged 15.3.

sagegrouse

Kedsy
11-07-2013, 03:42 PM
I hate to make a "suggestion" to a Renaissance man, but BZ averaged 23.9 minutes per game in the final 16 games, beginning with the breakout game against UMd. In the first 24 games he averaged 15.3.

sagegrouse

That doesn't make 16 mpg "playing little." Al made it sound like Z hardly got off the bench in November 2009. I pointed out that wasn't really true, that's all.

devil84
11-07-2013, 04:18 PM
That doesn't make 16 mpg "playing little." Al made it sound like Z hardly got off the bench in November 2009. I pointed out that wasn't really true, that's all.

I remembered Zoubek going from a few minutes to lots of minutes. I had to go back and look at Zoubek's minutes:
November: 16.1
December: 10.4
January: 13.1
February: 20.5
March: 23.5
April: 29

When remembering the season in hindsight, a jump from 10-13 minutes before February (who's remembering the November games against the likes of Coastal Carolina and Radford in February?), then playing 20+ minutes makes it seem like Zoubek "played little early." I can't disagree too much with Al's assessment.

Kedsy
11-07-2013, 04:29 PM
I remembered Zoubek going from a few minutes to lots of minutes. I had to go back and look at Zoubek's minutes:
November: 16.1
December: 10.4
January: 13.1
February: 20.5
March: 23.5
April: 29

When remembering the season in hindsight, a jump from 10-13 minutes before February (who's remembering the November games against the likes of Coastal Carolina and Radford in February?), then playing 20+ minutes makes it seem like Zoubek "played little early." I can't disagree too much with Al's assessment.

Al was specifically talking about November. So I disagree with him. You're obviously free to feel differently.