PDA

View Full Version : Captain Josh Hairston

dukedoc
11-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Per Stephen Wiseman, Josh will join Rodney and Tyler as the third captain for this year.

Stephen Wiseman‏@stevewisemanNC
Duke names senior forward Josh Hairston as its third captain. Senior Tyler Thornton and redshirt soph. Rodney Hood previously announced.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Yay Captain Jiggy!

I lilke Josh's effort, obviously the big man does too.

Congrats.

CLW
11-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Congrats to Josh. Hopefully, he can channel a little bit of his inner Lance Thomas for his final season at Duke.

plimnko
11-06-2013, 02:58 PM
congratulations!!! shows what hard work and dedication will do for you.

jaredv
11-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Good to see Josh being recognized for his hard work.

Clay Feet POF
11-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Josh is the Classic Teamplayer!! A great Role Model

moonpie23
11-06-2013, 04:05 PM
congrats, josh….

ChillinDuke
11-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Congrats, Jiggy!

Hard not to root for a hard-working player like you.

- Chillin

Henderson
11-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Years of hard work, perseverance, being solid over his MPG, being a good student and team mate, and steadfastness are rewarded.

This Coach K guy seems to know some things.

Congrats to Josh.

adukeforduke
11-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Three captains means no captain. Definitely believe 1 or none. Football is different but basketball 3 players captains on a 12 man roster means not much to me.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Three captains means no captain. Definitely believe 1 or none. Football is different but basketball 3 players captains on a 12 man roster means not much to me.

K does this a fair amount. He must think it works.

dukedoc
11-06-2013, 08:31 PM

What matters much more than your opinion, or mine, is that of the other players on the team. K must think Josh commands respect and that others will follow his lead. The fact that we have three different guys who fit the bill of captain in K's eyes is a testament to the leadership depth on this team rather than a diminution of the role of captain.

Newton_14
11-06-2013, 08:53 PM
What matters much more than your opinion, or mine, is that of the other players on the team. K must think Josh commands respect and that others will follow his lead. The fact that we have three different guys who fit the bill of captain in K's eyes is a testament to the leadership depth on this team rather than a diminution of the role of captain.

I agree. I see no issue at all with having 3 Captains. It worked out just fine last year with Mason, Ryan, and Seth. Different years command different deals. This years appears to be a year where 3 makes sense.

Congrats to Josh, The man has worked his tail off his entire career, sitting patiently as a Freshman, "waiting his turn" like it used to be in the old days, done everything asked of him on the court (and reportedly off the court as well), never pouted, and has improved year over year. He knows his role, and he plays it. Very happy for him. Well deserved!

One more thing. For all the wailing and knashing of teeth last year over Josh taking jumpers, his shot has been really smooth here in the early going. I would like nothing better than to see him knocking down those shots consistently game after game. That would sweet redemption for him.

Captain Josh Hairston- We salute you! Well done son.

Troublemaker
11-07-2013, 01:08 AM

Except that this team really does have one true leader -- Coach K. Anything he says goes. He defines all the tactics, strategies, and habits, so there is no mixed messaging (which is what I'm assuming you fear). The 3 Captains are more like NCOs who organize and boost morale of their teammates on the court as they carry out Coach K's plans.

Des Esseintes
11-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Except that this team really does have one true leader -- Coach K. Anything he says goes. He defines all the tactics, strategies, and habits, so there is no mixed messaging (which is what I'm assuming you fear). The 3 Captains are more like NCOs who organize and boost morale of their teammates on the court as they carry out Coach K's plans.

Plus, when was the last time Duke had just one captain the whole season? I'm sure I am forgetting a year, but for the most part it seems we have two or three guys earn captain status by each season's end. And Duke tends to have good seasons. But hey, a guy on the internet thinks we should do everything differently, so K should probably look into that.

Dev11
11-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Plus, when was the last time Duke had just one captain the whole season? I'm sure I am forgetting a year, but for the most part it seems we have two or three guys earn captain status by each season's end. And Duke tends to have good seasons. But hey, a guy on the internet thinks we should do everything differently, so K should probably look into that.

I believe it was 07-08 with DeMarcus Nelson, who was the only scholarship senior that year.

Henderson
11-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Josh tweeted something to the effect that he'll remember for the rest of his life what Coach K said to him when making him a captain. Anyone know what exactly was said?

airowe
11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Josh tweeted something to the effect that he'll remember for the rest of his life what Coach K said to him when making him a captain. Anyone know what exactly was said?

Here's his interview (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=13807&id=3094409)

adukeforduke
11-07-2013, 10:38 AM

I do agree with this. I personally don't agree with Ks philosophy on naming multiple captains every year; it dilutes its prestige. That get me wrong, I am glad for Josh that he is but it would be a far greater honor for him if he was the only one. If he were to be the best leader on the team (despite being not the most talented) I would have zero problem with him being named captain by the way.

DukieInBrasil
11-07-2013, 03:13 PM
One more thing. For all the wailing and gnashing of teeth last year over Josh taking jumpers, his shot has been really smooth here in the early going. I would like nothing better than to see him knocking down those shots consistently game after game. That would sweet redemption for him.

Captain Josh Hairston- We salute you! Well done son.

I admit to being one of those gnashers. I was thinking of just that looking at the thread title, "i really hope Josh can hit that jumper this year, cuz more than likely, teams will let him have it."
Josh is one of those players who has come to epitomize what it means to buy into K's system: he could have gone to a D1 school in a non-power conference and been The Man and probably average double digit points last year and maybe even a double-double as a Sr., but chose Duke to play for a great coach, play in great games, play with great players, be a great teammate and get a great education. For all of that, i salute Josh for his hard work, dedication and being a part of what makes being a Duke basketball fan such a joy.

Henderson
11-07-2013, 04:02 PM
I do agree with this. I personally don't agree with Ks philosophy on naming multiple captains every year; it dilutes its prestige.

A captaincy isn't a prize whose value is based on its scarcity. It's an official appointment to a leadership role. I don't think the purpose of that appointment is to offer prestige. Its purpose (I think) is about publicly identifying the key leaders on a team, who are recognized as having demonstrated their capability to lead. It carries responsibility. Players appointed are honored to be so recognized, but any prestige a captaincy carries isn't diminished by having 3 rather than 1.

At least that's my understanding of what K has in mind.