PDA

View Full Version : Rasheed Sulaimon's status

Henderson
11-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Everything OK? I read the post-game reports, wasn't feeling well physically and not able fully to practice. Anything else? Starter against Davidson?

We need this guy.

mattman91
11-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Everything OK? I read the post-game reports, wasn't feeling well physically and not able fully to practice. Anything else? Starter against Davidson?

We need this guy.

I really like rasheed, I think when his head is in the game, he is an elite guard. Here's to a healthy sheed!

flyingdutchdevil
11-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Jesus... these named threads without any context always gets my heart racing.

I thought he injured his big toe or something...

Native
11-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Heard he's been sick, that's all. Some minor cold stuff going around campus right now. No big deal.

sagegrouse
11-07-2013, 06:25 AM
From the Observer's Luke DeCock:

An illness kept Sulaimon out of Duke’s second exhibition game, but he went 1-for-5 from the floor in the first and he’s so deep in Krzyzewski’s doghouse he might find notes left by Nolan Smith and Gerald Henderson (both of whom eventually found their way out). Sulaimon averaged 11.6 points last season, and only three players attempted more shots, but if anything his role has shrunk.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/11/06/4445240/decock.html#.UntYyfmsi_E#storylink=cpy

sagegrouse

Gthoma2a
11-07-2013, 07:36 AM

sagegrouse

In other words, he is an important player, who will certainly play, but he may not be the starter RIGHT NOW. This is Duke. He is still a young guy who is still growing into himself as a player. He will get there.

walras
11-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Heard he's been sick, that's all. Some minor cold stuff going around campus right now. No big deal.
Way worse than a cold going around campus -- fever, full malaise, lots of students missing class for around a week, etc.

flyingdutchdevil
11-07-2013, 09:21 AM

sagegrouse

Wow. If true, that is really surprising. I'm actually a little baffled.

I thought Rasheed was going to be in the mold of Redick / Singler / Ewing / Battier - a complete and utter Coach K favorite who sees as many minutes as he can handle.

Hope Rasheed gets up to speed.

Ichabod Drain
11-07-2013, 09:26 AM

I thought Rasheed was going to be in the mold of Redick / Singler / Ewing / Battier - a complete and utter Coach K favorite who sees as many minutes as he can handle.

I would imagine Coach K believes he can be that kind of player and may be trying to push him in that direction.

jipops
11-07-2013, 09:43 AM

We'll need him to be Rasheed if we are to have a chance to beat Kansas. Davidson could be difficult without him as well.

slower
11-07-2013, 09:51 AM
We'll need him to be Rasheed if we are to have a chance to beat Kansas. Davidson could be difficult without him as well.

Agreed.

I feel the need - the need for Sheed.

Henderson
11-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Where did the Charlotte Observer columnist come up with the "doghouse" comment? Rasheed shot poorly in the first exhibition game, OK, but Coach K doesn't get down on proven players for poor shot execution in any given game if the shot selection was good, especially if they were playing hard, making the right decisions, and playing tough defense. How many times have we heard Coach say in a post-game interview, "I thought we took good shots" even when those shots didn't fall consistently?

I hope Rasheed was just not feeling well last week. But I've got this prickly sensation making me wonder if that's the entire story. Maybe I just ate some bad shellfish.

DukeAlumBS
11-07-2013, 02:18 PM

I said last year when he was playing. He is iffy. Lo and behold look at the team we have. The competition may be too much for him. Pre season Rodney Hood up in points. I feel Dawkins will be supreme for the team. Rasheed has a lot, lot of competition! He has to produce, and make it happen! I do not thin he will start. As I said last year.

Go Duke!

Kedsy
11-07-2013, 02:22 PM
I said last year when he was playing. He is iffy. Lo and behold look at the team we have. The competition may be too much for him. Pre season Rodney Hood up in points. I feel Dawkins will be supreme for the team. Rasheed has a lot, lot of competition! He has to produce, and make it happen! I do not thin he will start. As I said last year.

Go Duke!

Except he did start last year. And most likely he will start most of the games this year. Rasheed is a great defensive player and has a ton of potential as an offensive player as well. Hopefully, if he really is in K's doghouse, he'll break out of it and get back on track as the great player he can be.

slower
11-07-2013, 02:27 PM

Go Duke!

I'm guessing that yours is a minority opinion. Sheed will get it rolling.

DukeAlumBS
11-07-2013, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=slower;673967]I'm guessing that yours is a minority opinion. Minority?
Sheed will not start this year. IMO.
There is too much there for him to compete with
Rodney Hood changes this. IMO Sheed is not in the league as the bests!
I take Andre Dawkins in a clinch!
Have nice day
Jimmy

jipops
11-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Sheed will not start this year. IMO.
There is too much there for him to compete with
Rodney Hood changes this. IMO Sheed is not in the league as the bests!
I take Andre Dawkins in a clinch!
Have nice day
Jimmy

Of our 3 wing guards, Rasheed brings the most to the table with his game. He will not be competing with Hood who will be used as a hybrid forward. If Duke is to be successful this season, they will need Rasheed to bring his game.

johnb
11-07-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm eager for the season to start so that we can minimize our fantasizing about imagined divisions and frailties within our own team.

Rasheed in the doghouse? Rasheed afraid of competition? Puhleeze... Rasheed strikes me as a very talented warrior who started throughout his freshman year on a top 5 team and will likely start throughout his Duke career until he becomes an NBA first rounder. Combination of Nolan and Gerald? That sounds about right; as I seem to recall, both were great--and both kept getting better throughout their Duke careers. I expect as much from Sheed.

MCFinARL
11-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Where did the Charlotte Observer columnist come up with the "doghouse" comment? Rasheed shot poorly in the first exhibition game, OK, but Coach K doesn't get down on proven players for poor shot execution in any given game if the shot selection was good, especially if they were playing hard, making the right decisions, and playing tough defense. How many times have we heard Coach say in a post-game interview, "I thought we took good shots" even when those shots didn't fall consistently?

I hope Rasheed was just not feeling well last week. But I've got this prickly sensation making me wonder if that's the entire story. Maybe I just ate some bad shellfish.

I'm guessing (and "guessing" is the operative word) that the reporter based this mostly on the fact that Coach K would not name Rasheed a presumptive starter in his pre-season presser. It's a pretty big stretch from there to "doghouse," but the language is colorful, and it certainly got our attention--which is a major goal of most journalists.

Dukehky
11-07-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm guessing (and "guessing" is the operative word) that the reporter based this mostly on the fact that Coach K would not name Rasheed a presumptive starter in his pre-season presser. It's a pretty big stretch from there to "doghouse," but the language is colorful, and it certainly got our attention--which is a major goal of most journalists.

I had heard that Sulaimon was in the doghouse as well, before this was written. Whether it's true or not, maybe it will end up being a good thing. K doesn't do anything for no reason. Rasheed is awesome as it is, a little extra fire underneath him can't be a bad thing.

I'd almost rather him be in the doghouse than sick. Doghouse means he's still working hard and is able to come back at any time. Sick for a long period of time is never good.

Regardless, I hope he plays tomorrow night.

ricks68
11-07-2013, 03:49 PM
An illness kept Sulaimon out of Duke’s second exhibition game, but he went 1-for-5 from the floor in the first and he’s so deep in Krzyzewski’s doghouse he might find notes left by Nolan Smith and Gerald Henderson (both of whom eventually found their way out). Sulaimon averaged 11.6 points last season, and only three players attempted more shots, but if anything his role has shrunk.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

sagegrouse

I don't understand why no one has commented yet that these kind of statements from a sports reporter (other than, Jim, Barry, the late Bill Brill, etc.) probably guarantee that Rasheed will start.:rolleyes:

We have no idea what the situation is, and won't until the first real (games that are not for "sorting" things out, finding out which works best, who plays the best together under certain situations, etc.) game is played.

ricks

DukeAlumBS
11-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Like you all I would like to see him play and do SCORE, and defend. It happened to "Paulus." It is not a big deal. I am sorry if sounded gruff but was not meant.
I hope he plays tonight and brings it on. We have so much talent. We have some talent. Rodney Hood leading the pre season. On top of all we have on the team. Coach is going to want to see consistent scoring, and defense. I do not believe that article is that he is in the dog house.
They have been practicing and playing up to now. We do not know how they all look to Coach K. Maybe Sheed is not doing great practice? It does not change anything.
On the other hand suppose Andre is doing it in practice above all? The preseason is not a hint of what the team has been doing in practice.
For most of you I want Sheed. Do his thing. HIT his 3 for starters.
We have other players that can fill in for now. Dawkins, maybe he is pounding his 3 in practice, and great defense! We will see. Duke by 90!

Go Duke

devildeac
11-08-2013, 11:58 AM
The reporter who did the Duke preview this AM in the Raleigh N&O stated that Rasheed had revovered from whatever was ailing (not ale-ing:rolleyes:) him last week and K said the team was at full strength to start the season, unlike last year. So, we shall see/hear tonight.

FerryFor50
11-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Wait. The goal isn't factual, accurate reporting???

devildeac
11-08-2013, 12:23 PM

Wait. The goal isn't factual, accurate reporting???

Consider your source. I think we are referring here to Luke DeCock from the Charlotte/Raleigh papers, not exactly your bastions of Duke supporting newsprint:rolleyes:.

;)

FerryFor50
11-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Consider your source. I think we are referring here to Luke DeCock from the Charlotte/Raleigh papers, not exactly your bastions of Duke supporting newsprint:rolleyes:.

;)

Doesn't "De" mean of? I'm not sure there's a translation for the last part of his name, however... :p

DukieInBrasil
11-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Doesn't "De" mean of? I'm not sure there's a translation for the last part of his name, however... :p

rooster, male chicken. Or you could delve into the vernacular...

Henderson
11-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Easy gents.

Des Esseintes
11-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Like you all I would like to see him play and do SCORE, and defend. It happened to "Paulus." It is not a big deal. I am sorry if sounded gruff but was not meant.
I hope he plays tonight and brings it on. We have so much talent. We have some talent. Rodney Hood leading the pre season. On top of all we have on the team. Coach is going to want to see consistent scoring, and defense. I do not believe that article is that he is in the dog house.
They have been practicing and playing up to now. We do not know how they all look to Coach K. Maybe Sheed is not doing great practice? It does not change anything.
On the other hand suppose Andre is doing it in practice above all? The preseason is not a hint of what the team has been doing in practice.
For most of you I want Sheed. Do his thing. HIT his 3 for starters.
We have other players that can fill in for now. Dawkins, maybe he is pounding his 3 in practice, and great defense! We will see. Duke by 90!

Go Duke

Can I just say to whoever back in Vilnius has been tutoring you in English: great job, sir. I remember when your English vocabulary was limited to "ok" and "Madonna." And now just look. Keep up the fine work! As they say in the old country, "Keep your ax arm steady. The forest is never felled on a single midsummer's eve."

slower
11-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Can I just say to whoever back in Vilnius has been tutoring you in English: great job, sir. I remember when your English vocabulary was limited to "ok" and "Madonna." And now just look. Keep up the fine work! As they say in the old country, "Keep your ax arm steady. The forest is never felled on a single midsummer's eve."

Dude, do you have an HBO comedy special airing any time soon? I'll totally DVR it. Thanks for giving me some laughs for the past couple of days - I really needed it.

throatybeard
11-08-2013, 09:08 PM
It may be my ESPNU SD, which looks like the inside of a 130yo man's cataracts, but I think Sulaimon is fine.

Gthoma2a
11-08-2013, 09:34 PM
His status is WONDERFUL. He's back to health and form.

OZ
11-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Healed!

CLW
11-08-2013, 10:31 PM
K specifically mentioned the "dog house" comments and wasn't pleased and said Sheed was not in any "dog house" but just has had a "bad fall" (i.e. hasn't been playing well) but indicated he had a good week of practice this week.

devildeac
11-08-2013, 10:52 PM

I think it's French. Or maybe Swahili;):rolleyes:.

devildeac
11-08-2013, 10:53 PM
K specifically mentioned the "dog house" comments and wasn't pleased and said Sheed was not in any "dog house" but just has had a "bad fall" (i.e. hasn't been playing well) but indicated he had a good week of practice this week.

Doghouse? What doghouse? Woof indeed!

NYBri
11-08-2013, 11:21 PM
From doghouse to penthouse.

Henderson
11-09-2013, 01:11 AM

He didn't just mention the dog house comment in the post-game press conference. He waited for DeCock to ask a question then dressed him down about it for about 20 seconds, followed by, "Now what was your question?" He was clearly ticked.

He also said of Rasheed, "He's finally in shape," which sounded like Rasheed's conditioning wasn't great earlier in the fall, affecting his practice and play.

flyingdutchdevil
11-09-2013, 07:38 AM
He didn't just mention the dog house comment in the post-game press conference. He waited for DeCock to ask a question then dressed him down about it for about 20 seconds, followed by, "Now what was your question?" He was clearly ticked.

He also said of Rasheed, "He's finally in shape," which sounded like Rasheed's conditioning wasn't great earlier in the fall, affecting his practice and play.

Out of shape? Can that even be possible at Duke now that they made the stupid decision of closing down the Dillo? I would think eating the Loop would automatically get you in shape.

(that is me venting over the closure of the Dillo. I had fond memories there...sigh)

freshmanjs
11-09-2013, 09:23 AM

not sure why "bad fall" is in quotes, as that is not what coach k said. he said he didn't have a good fall or something like that. why use quotes if you are going to put something in there that wasn't said?

Henderson
11-09-2013, 09:53 AM
not sure why "bad fall" is in quotes, as that is not what coach k said. he said he didn't have a good fall or something like that. why use quotes if you are going to put something in there that wasn't said?

Agreed. Quotation marks are like capitalization. It's good to use them correctly.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Quotes, like capitalization, can sometimes be loosely used or not.

Maybe quotes are like our friend "literally," as in, they can either refer to their definition or the exact opposite of what you should be able expect.

/groan

Missed last night's game due to scheduling conflict. Can't wait for Tuesday.

Go Duke!

freshmanjs
11-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Quotation marks are like capitalization. It's good to use them correctly, but not essential to make a point.

disagree strongly. misquoting someone is very different from using caps incorrectly (as i've done in this post). i actually read that quote and was surprised to read that Coach K had used those words. then i watched the video and learned that he actually hadn't used those words.

jimsumner
11-09-2013, 12:06 PM
K actually raised the question of Sulaimon and the non-existent doghouse about five minutes into the post-game and then re-raised it at about the 12-minute mark. Luke DeCock was not the target of the second, more-pointed comments. In fact, my sense was that K's comments were not limited to a particular person or outlet but rather a more general perception of the way he runs his program and the way he interacts with his players.

In the first of the two segments, K said that Sulaimon "has not had a good fall."

MCFinARL
11-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Maybe quotes are like our friend "literally," as in, they can either refer to their definition or the exact opposite of what you should be able expect.

/groan

Missed last night's game due to scheduling conflict. Can't wait for Tuesday.

Go Duke!

I think you are on to something here. Being old school, I agree with freshmanjs that quotation marks should be used to, well, quote people--and any departure from their exact words should be clearly indicated with brackets or ellipses.

But there is an increasing incidence of off-label use of quotation marks, including to serve the same function as air quotes--i.e., to suggest irony or cast some doubt on what is being said. This might lead to the use of quotation marks precisely to indicate that the words are NOT the exact words of the quoted person but an approximation. If this use catches on we are in a ball of confusion.

Black Mambo
11-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Sulaimon: "My range extends to the dog house".

Note that the use of quotes does not actually attest this statement to Sulaimon.