PDA

View Full Version : Munich for Two Days

Bluedog
11-05-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm going on a business trip to Switzerland soon and have almost two full days in Munich (as a long layover) over a weekend. Suggestions/helpful tidbits/must sees? I'd like to go to Dachau, but not sure if that's enough time or worthwhile since my time is so limited. I arrive very early on a Saturday and leave late Sunday night. Booked a hotel near the Nordfriedhof metro stop for the night, but can change that if necessary. Also if you have any suggestions of places to go in Basel, Switzerland, let me know. I won't have much time for leisure there, but I figure I'll at least have some of the evenings. I appreciate the help!

hurleyfor3
11-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Been to Munich twice, never done Dachau.

Lots of good daytrips by train. Salzburg and Garmisch-Partenkirschen come to mind. I think the Bundesbahn sells an all-weekend train ticket for a very reasonable price (I recall 29 euro, and I think it was also good on Munich S and U-bahn trains, but that was several years ago) and which is valid for Salzburg.

Munich has three very well-known art museums; the Alte is amazing and the Neue is very good but I found the Moderne to be kind of meh. They may not be open when you're there though. German store and attraction hours aren't as bad as they were 20 years ago, but the country is still mostly closed on Sundays. The Deutsches Museum is cool if you're into sciencey stuff. Personally I can't do more than one museum in a day. Munich has a weekend market near the main square (the Marienplatz), and it's one of those cities where just walking around for a few hours can be fun.

Then there's the obvious route of partaking in what Munich is most famous for. You'll have plenty of material for the "Ymmm, beer" thread.

-jk
11-05-2013, 06:34 PM
German store and attraction hours aren't as bad as they were 20 years ago, but the country is still mostly closed on Sundays.

Um, as the kids say, "this". I've had several business trips to Germany, and this was always hanging over my head. Plan for it.

-jk

Pacer
11-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I was last there about 25 years ago. I only really remember 2 things. Glockenspiel (sp?) and Dachau. Of those, Dachau is much more important to see. Its easily the #1 thing I'd recommend.

asbcheeks
11-06-2013, 04:07 PM
I was in Basel for a day and overnight this past spring, and I think even that was too long of a stay. FC Basel have Chelsea at home in Champs League in a couple weeks; that would be a fun night out.

DukeAlumBS
11-08-2013, 11:19 AM
I spent some time in England and Germany some years back. Drink the Lowenbrau there, even if made my Miller! Germany I really enjoy. Dachau, Garmisch I recommend.
You have the weekend. Enjoy the city itself a lot there. Again a great place to see in a weekend!
Jimmy