PDA

View Full Version : Why not have a night game with UCONN?

Atldukie79
08-29-2007, 05:16 PM
I am so ready for football...I even watched an old tape of the 1938 Rose Bowl team performance! (BTW, what a totally different game from today's game).

But I am curious if anyone knows why we are playing an afternoon game against UCONN (2:00pm) in the heat rather than an evening game.

I remember when a big deal was made about installing lights for just this purpose. Though we may catch a break this weekend (highs in the upper 80's instead of high 90's) isn't this the kind of game that should be played at 7 pm?

I can tell you for sure some of the older fans will not come or maybe stay for only part of the game because of the heat.

Is there any advantage for the southern team (used to the heat) in the thinking?

Any insight?

Thanks

arnie
08-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Now that would require some preplanning - 1) the lighting must be tested prior to the game, 2) check with the AD's wife to ensure that nothing else is on the calendar, 3) make sure those participating in the Military Appreciation events can go out at night, etc. Of course the game should be at night and yes, attendance would be better.

SilkyJ
08-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Now that would require some preplanning - 1) the lighting must be tested prior to the game, 2) check with the AD's wife to ensure that nothing else is on the calendar, 3) make sure those participating in the Military Appreciation events can go out at night, etc. Of course the game should be at night and yes, attendance would be better.

best handle ever and nice post.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-29-2007, 10:17 PM
I am so ready for football..

But I am curious if anyone knows why we are playing an afternoon game against UCONN (2:00pm) in the heat rather than an evening game.

Is there any advantage for the southern team (used to the heat) in the thinking?

Any insight?

Thanks

Funny you should mention that. While at the scrimmage last week, I was talking with a highly placed Iron Duke and he said "I hope it is like this (103F) on 9/1. We've been practicing in it and UConn has been practicing in 65F weather." Their tongues would be dragging by the second quarter. Would be a big advantage for us. Hope 86F works as well.

I would be just fine sitting in 105F heat if we win the game.:D

Bluedawg
08-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Night games are usually reserved for TV or for those game that are expected to be competitive. With 99% of America expecting UConn to pull off a blowout there was no way this would be played at night.

Bluedawg
08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
I am so ready for football...

www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3231

jimsumner
08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
"With 99% of America expecting UConn to pull off a blowout there was no way this would be played at night."

Wel, in the first place UConn is a four-point favorite. In the second place, 99% of America couldn't care less.

If Duke wants to exploit the weather, they should wear white jerseys and make UConn wear dark. Seriously.

throatybeard
08-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Because the athletic administration doesn't care whether anyone comes to or stays at the games, that's why.

Atldukie79
08-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Jim's comment about jersey color begs the question: Why do home teams in football tend to wear dark jerseys while home basketball teams tend to wear white? The only functional implication is the heat (especially in the south and in the early season) where white would offer an advantage.

Any idea though why the 2 sports evolved differently in this regard?

Bluedawg
08-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Because the athletic administration doesn't care whether anyone comes to or stays at the games, that's why.

Can't agree with this...!

allenmurray
08-30-2007, 02:51 PM

I believe you are pretty close to correct. Perhaps it isn't that they don't care, perhaps it is because they don't understand anything aout college football culture.

A college football game should be an event, even more so than a basketball game. With only five or six home games each one should be a big freakin' deal. An occassional 7:00 start, playing under the lights, would make the games feel more like an event, rather than just a football game. Then even if they didn't win, which I have never expected would happen very often, it would be a great day. It is really hard to tailgate for a noon start - bacon and eggs anyone? It is also much more pleasant to watch a game in the South in early September after the sun has gone down. There were games last year where the temperature in the stands was in the mid 90s.

Since Duke football isn't going to be on TV anyway, and the entire audience is the few of us that show up, it might be nice to have a least one game every five years or so scheduled in the evening.

SilkyJ
08-30-2007, 04:37 PM

The actions of the administration would tend to suggest the opposite. A couple years back they started stopping tailgate right before the game started to try and force students to go to the game.

throatybeard
08-30-2007, 04:44 PM
The actions of the administration would tend to suggest the opposite. A couple years back they started stopping tailgate right before the game started to try and force students to go to the game.

I thought that had as much to do with the way the students were behaving with alcohol at that tailgate, but I could be wrong.

What AllenMurray said. Take Mississippi State. (As in, like watch ESPN tonight right before LSU commits heinous acts on us). Probably 11th out of 11 state schools in the SEC in atmosphere and 10th out of 11 in historical winning %age. And small fanbase for a state school. But Saturdays are a freaking festival blowout. The whole town is appropriated for the secular rite.

Duke has next to no FB atmosphere. It's so sad. The closest we come is the 48-hr period during Carolina tenting in BB.

SilkyJ
08-30-2007, 05:34 PM
I thought that had as much to do with the way the students were behaving with alcohol at that tailgate, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't say you are wrong, but it had more to do with getting students to the game. This year they have actually shortened tailgate from 4 hours before the game to 2 hours before the game, AND you have to pay 5 or 10 bucks to park, even as a student. Now that is b/c of the debauchery that goes on at tailgate. Debauchery that I fully support, I might add.