PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Davidson Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
11-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Time to get started!

Duke's season opener is this Friday, November 8th, versus frequent opponent Davidson. The game is at 7 pm, and will be broadcast on ESPNU.

Please post you pre-game and in-game thoughts here.

Henderson
11-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Here's my thought on the Davidson game: I'm so freaking glad the season is starting. 7 months without Duke basketball has made me dope sick, like Chris Herren in rehab.

P.S. No offense intended to Herren. He's gone public with his addiction, has been sober for a good amount of time now, saving his marriage and his life. If you took away Duke basketball from me forever, I wouldn't do as well.

matt1
11-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Time to get started! Davidson is a good program, but they lost a lot due to graduation last year. It is the perfect game to start with- one that is against a decent team, but not one that has a good chance to win in Cameron.

OldPhiKap
11-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Davidson is always prepared and well-coached. Bob McKillop is one of the best coaches in the State of North Carolina and the country as a whole. He would absolutely crush if he were the head coach in Chapel Hill. (Ol' Roy, at Davidson, would struggle I suspect).

I would expect this to be a tough game, and hope we wear them down over time. I would really love to see us play cohesively on both ends, but that is going to take some time to develop.

ChillinDuke
11-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Davidson lost 4 seniors in starting guards JP Kulhman (8.0 ppg / 3.6 apg) and Nik Cochran (9.9 ppg / 3.3 apg) as well as starting 6'10" forward Jake Cohen (14.9 ppg / 5.3 rpg) and 18.8 mpg reserve forward Clint Mann (6.9 ppg / 2.8 rpg). This amounts to just under 50% of their total scoring output from last year, 35% of their rebounding, 62% of their assists, and 47% of minutes played. Cohen also led the team in blocks by a large margin.

So if I'm doing the math right, that means they return 2 starters: leading rebounder from last year senior forward 6'7" 230# De'Mon Brooks (13.7 ppg / 6.2 rpg) and senior guard 6'7" 210# Chris Czerapowicz (9.1 ppg / 5.0 rpg). And no that is not a typo - Czerapowicz is listed as a guard at 6'7" per Davidson's official roster: http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Assumed other starters will be returning junior guard 6'4" Tyler Kalinoski (7.6 ppg / 2.8 rpg / 1.6 apg) and returning senior guard 6'6" Tom Droney (4.2 ppg / 2.9 rpg / 2.4 apg). The only other returning player on the roster that saw more than 5 mpg last year (and barely at 5.2 mpg) is sophomore guard 6'4" Jordan Barham.

Brooks is their best player and figures to log major minutes; he has averaged 15.7/6.2 and 13.7/6.2 in back-to-back years. Kalinoski is their best returning shooter at > 36% beyond the arc on 151 attempts last year.

Davidson adds 4 freshmen to their roster (none of which were included in the RSCI top 100) in guards Jack Gibbs and Manu Giamoukis as well as frontcourt players 6'8" 220# Joe Aase and 6'8" 235# Andrew McAuliffe. Gibbs is a potential starter at PG but is only 5'11".

Frontcourt depth is a major question mark for the Wildcats who are likely to play both Brooks and Czerapowicz as their "bigs" but have little else. The two freshmen bigs provide good frames to bang around but are untested. Regardless of their lack of proven depth, they do have some height they could throw at us with 7 players listed at 6'7" or taller and 4 other players listed between 6'3" and 6'6".

Finally, Davidson is the likely favorite to win the Southern Conference this year, a fitting end to their tenure there as they will move into the much more competitive Atlantic 10 next year. McKillop is an excellent coach as others have noted, so don't sleep on this opponent regardless of player turnover. We certainly have our own issues in that department as well, and we saw how Drury played in that first half of the final exhibition.

Go Duke!

Prior year stats: http://davidsonwildcats.com/custompages/mbball/2012-13/TEAMCUME.HTM?path=mbball

- Chillin

CDu
11-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Here's my thought on the Davidson game: I'm so freaking glad the season is starting. 7 months without Duke basketball has made me dope sick, like Chris Herren in rehab.

P.S. No offense intended to Herren. He's gone public with his addiction, has been sober for a good amount of time now, saving his marriage and his life. If you took away Duke basketball from me forever, I wouldn't do as well.

If you didn't mean offense to Herren, you probably shouldn't have made the joke in the first place...

That being said, I do concur with your general sentiment in being VERY ready for the season to begin.

CDu
11-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Davidson lost 4 seniors in starting guards JP Kulhman (8.0 ppg / 3.6 apg) and Nik Cochran (9.9 ppg / 3.3 apg) as well as starting 6'10" forward Jake Cohen (14.9 ppg / 5.3 rpg) and 18.8 mpg reserve forward Clint Mann (6.9 ppg / 2.8 rpg). This amounts to just under 50% of their total scoring output from last year, 35% of their rebounding, 62% of their assists, and 47% of minutes played. Cohen also led the team in blocks by a large margin.

They lost a HUGE chunk of their team. Kulhman and Cochran did all of the ballhandling for the team last year, and Cohen was a matchup nightmare given his size and skillset (kind of Kelly-lite). I don't know much about the reserves/freshmen replacing these guys, but I suspect it will be a big dropoff.

So if I'm doing the math right, that means they return 2 starters: leading rebounder from last year senior forward 6'7" 230# De'Mon Brooks (13.7 ppg / 6.2 rpg) and senior guard 6'7" 210# Chris Czerapowicz (9.1 ppg / 5.0 rpg). And no that is not a typo - Czerapowicz is listed as a guard at 6'7" per Davidson's official roster: http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Well, I'm not sure I'd call Czerapowicz a guard. He's basically a lot like Lee Melchionni. He played primarily SF and occasionally some PF for them when Brooks and Cohen were in foul trouble. Very dangerous 3pt shooter and a sneaky good scorer inside the arc as well.

Brooks is their best player and figures to log major minutes; he has averaged 15.7/6.2 and 13.7/6.2 in back-to-back years. Kalinoski is their best returning shooter at > 36% beyond the arc on 151 attempts last year.

Brooks is a classic mid-major player. He has the body and athleticism of a SF but the skill set of a PF/C. As a result, he tends to dominate in the Southern Conference (where his athleticism can overwhlem teams) but struggle against major conference teams (who have the size and athleticism to match up with him).

Henderson
11-05-2013, 03:41 PM
If you didn't mean offense to Herren, you probably shouldn't have made the joke in the first place...

That being said, I do concur with your general sentiment in being VERY ready for the season to begin.

It wasn't a joke. It was an analogy. Herren has discussed publicly the feeling of being dope sick. Not to dismiss the seriousness of his addiction, just pointing out there are other forms of addiction that leave us hungry.

tommy
11-05-2013, 07:27 PM

Assumed other starters will be returning junior guard 6'4" Tyler Kalinoski (7.6 ppg / 2.8 rpg / 1.6 apg) and returning senior guard 6'6" Tom Droney (4.2 ppg / 2.9 rpg / 2.4 apg). The only other returning player on the roster that saw more than 5 mpg last year (and barely at 5.2 mpg) is sophomore guard 6'4" Jordan Barham.

Davidson adds 4 freshmen to their roster (none of which were included in the RSCI top 100) in guards Jack Gibbs and Manu Giamoukis as well as frontcourt players 6'8" 220# Joe Aase and 6'8" 235# Andrew McAuliffe. Gibbs is a potential starter at PG but is only 5'11".

Frontcourt depth is a major question mark for the Wildcats who are likely to play both Brooks and Czerapowicz as their "bigs" but have little else. The two freshmen bigs provide good frames to bang around but are untested. Regardless of their lack of proven depth, they do have some height they could throw at us with 7 players listed at 6'7" or taller and 4 other players listed between 6'3" and 6'6".

Finally, Davidson is the likely favorite to win the Southern Conference this year, a fitting end to their tenure there as they will move into the much more competitive Atlantic 10 next year. McKillop is an excellent coach as others have noted, so don't sleep on this opponent regardless of player turnover. We certainly have our own issues in that department as well, and we saw how Drury played in that first half of the final exhibition.

Go Duke!

Prior year stats: http://davidsonwildcats.com/custompages/mbball/2012-13/TEAMCUME.HTM?path=mbball

- Chillin

Also in the backcourt mix for Davidson is Brian Sullivan, a transfer from Miami (Ohio). He was All-Freshman MAC in his only year there.

Cameron
11-05-2013, 08:28 PM
It wasn't a joke. It was an analogy. Herren has discussed publicly the feeling of being dope sick. Not to dismiss the seriousness of his addiction, just pointing out there are other forms of addiction that leave us hungry.

Unlike you apparently, I am not suffering from panic attacks, muscle spasms or severe diarrhea and vomiting, but I still fully understand your eagerness for the season to start. ;) I'm ready to dive in head first and not come back up until the season is over. It is no joke when I say that my life over the next five months will completely revolve around a ball.

As for Davidson, the praise received by Bob McKillop cannot be overstated. He's simply one of the best coaches at any level in America. And with a talent as good as De'Mon Brooks on McKillop's roster -- Brooks should bring the goods to win the Southern Conference's top player honors again this season, which he achieved once before in 2011-12 -- Davidson is a dangerous team that must be taken seriously. Brooks should give our newly-minted frontcourt a solid test against one of the nation's premier players from any conference.

Hopefully, in light of the vast experience the Wildcats lost last season, notably the graduation of two-time league player of the year Jake Cohen, we can avert another Belmont-like scare in our home opener and start the season off on a positive note. It wouldn't be surprising, however, if Davidson hangs around for the first 20 or 25 minutes. Our superior talent and depth should be enough to outlast McKillop's club in the end.

Let's go Duke.

duke4ever19
11-05-2013, 08:43 PM
My wife has threatened to send me to therapy for addiction to Duke athletics on a number of occasions.
I told her to find me a support group of recovering Duke addicts and let them know that I'll bring the wings and beer if they supply the TV :p

I can hardly wait for the guys in white and Duke blue to get this thing started!

Newton_14
11-05-2013, 09:05 PM
My wife has threatened to send me to therapy for addiction to Duke athletics on a number of occasions.
I told her to find me a support group of recovering Duke addicts and let them know that I'll bring the wings and beer if they supply the TV :p

I can hardly wait for the guys in white and Duke blue to get this thing started!

Ha. I can relate. My wife refers to my "problem" as "obsession". Everything gets planned around Duke's Basketball Schedule with only a few exceptions on rare occasions. :)

Whatever it is, like you guys, I love it. Can't get enough. (Which is why I was really irritated when K did not allow our guys to participate in the Summer League this past summer. That was just wrong!)

On to the game. With this very new and different team of ours, I am simply looking for improvement game over game as they figure this out. The full court press and perimeter defense needs to generate more turnovers to both stop the opponent from scoring, and generate easy buckets for us. Interior defense needs to protect the paint better against the slashers attacking the basket off the dribble, and against guys posting up.

Improvement on looking to fast break more. This has been a hard habit to break, even with so many new guys who have not played for Duke before. In the two exhibition games, the staff has pleaded with the guys to push the ball quickly up the floor after both misses and makes. So far it has been a mixed bag at attempting to do that. Say what you want about Roy Williams coaching ability but the one consistent thing ingrained in most of his teams is that even after made baskets, the ball is immediately grabbed out of the net, inbounded in a flash and pushed up the floor with the pass or dribble lightening fast. Time and time again his teams in recent past have scored a layup or dunk while the other team was still celebrating their basket and failed to get back on defense quick enough. This Duke team has the horses to accomplish the same thing but they have to commit to it as a team with every player having that mindset. It is going to be a work in progress for awhile based on what I have seen so far.

Free throw shooting- This has to get better. The Drury game was just brutal. 53% or something. Really bad. Lots of work needed in this area and fast. It will cost us a game or two somewhere down the road if it doesn't get better.

The opponent Friday night is ourselves (no offense to Davidson. Great program, great coach). Let's see if the guys learned a lesson Saturday and come out of the gate strong, with good execution in all phases.

jv001
11-06-2013, 08:23 AM
They lost a HUGE chunk of their team. Kulhman and Cochran did all of the ballhandling for the team last year, and Cohen was a matchup nightmare given his size and skillset (kind of Kelly-lite). I don't know much about the reserves/freshmen replacing these guys, but I suspect it will be a big dropoff.

Well, I'm not sure I'd call Czerapowicz a guard. He's basically a lot like Lee Melchionni. He played primarily SF and occasionally some PF for them when Brooks and Cohen were in foul trouble. Very dangerous 3pt shooter and a sneaky good scorer inside the arc as well.

Brooks is a classic mid-major player. He has the body and athleticism of a SF but the skill set of a PF/C. As a result, he tends to dominate in the Southern Conference (where his athleticism can overwhlem teams) but struggle against major conference teams (who have the size and athleticism to match up with him).

I may be wrong, but I think Brooks hurt us on the boards in last years game, and we were pretty tall last year. Looking for Amile to hold his own against Brooks. It's also going to be interesting to see how the game is officiated regarding the new rules(defense). Both teams could see more minutes for the bench players if foul trouble occurs. Davidson is very well coached and will not lay down. I look for Duke to pull away in the 2nd half and win fairly easily. GoDuke!

moonpie23
11-06-2013, 08:29 AM
speaking of addiction……hating unc could be classified as such…..

I got better….

TruBlu
11-06-2013, 11:20 AM

I got better….

There are good addictions and bad addictions. Hating unc is a good addiction.

CDu
11-06-2013, 11:21 AM
I may be wrong, but I think Brooks hurt us on the boards in last years game, and we were pretty tall last year. Looking for Amile to hold his own against Brooks. It's also going to be interesting to see how the game is officiated regarding the new rules(defense). Both teams could see more minutes for the bench players if foul trouble occurs. Davidson is very well coached and will not lay down. I look for Duke to pull away in the 2nd half and win fairly easily. GoDuke!

He did get 12 rebounds in that game. But he shot 4-13 from the field. I was referring more to his value as a scorer, which appears to be MUCH better against the mid/low-majors than against BCS teams.

BD80
11-06-2013, 01:51 PM

Disproves the adage that too much of anything can be bad ...

Henderson
11-06-2013, 01:59 PM
These game count now. It's not exhibition time, it's not practice time for seeing how young guys respond to a game situation, and K knows that. It's go time.

jv001
11-06-2013, 02:46 PM
He did get 12 rebounds in that game. But he shot 4-13 from the field. I was referring more to his value as a scorer, which appears to be MUCH better against the mid/low-majors than against BCS teams.

I thought that he was grabbing lots of rebounds in that game. But the guy that scored well against us graduated. At least I think he did. GoDuke!

Billy Dat
11-06-2013, 02:56 PM
-The full court press and perimeter defense needs to generate more turnovers to both stop the opponent from scoring, and generate easy buckets for us.
-Interior defense needs to protect the paint better against the slashers attacking the basket off the dribble, and against guys posting up.
-Improvement on looking to fast break more.

I am interested to see how this evolves, especially in lieu of the more restrictive defensive rules. None of the core line-ups has deep experience playing with each other, nor playing this style of defense, so it will likely take a long time to gel. I wonder if the coaching goal is turnovers/fast breaks or, simply, that K thinks this team's ultimate success lies in playing a game with more possessions - which can be accomplished partially by attacking earlier in the shot clock. It's obvious that our style will be different, I wonder how much will depend on forcing turnovers vs. simply forcing pace.

-Free throw shooting- This has to get better. The Drury game was just brutal. 53% or something. Really bad. Lots of work needed in this area and fast. It will cost us a game or two somewhere down the road if it doesn't get better.

This is so important.

The other things I am looking forward to observing:
-Point guard play. We've got real weapons on this team, and I am interested if Quinn Cook can grow as a playmaker/distributor. Jabari and Rodney seem like they can take almost anyone one-on-one. We've got to maximize that potential by getting them the ball in the right place at the right time. Quinn needs to do that AND pressure the ball like crazy without getting burnt on the defensive end. Obviously, Tyler needs to do the same thing but I feel like he has less of an offensive ego so it will be more natural for him. Can Quinn find the right balance of organizing the guys on offense, bulldogging on defense, but also keeping defenses honest with his shooting and driving. It's a lot to ask.

-Rotations
K threw the kitchen sink at the first two exhibition games. Will he stick by his pledge to go deeper and play 8,9,10 guys. 9 or 10 seems crazy based on his history, but if you don't go that deep, then some 'name' guys are going to be reduced to mop up time. After the starters, I assume Thornton is a lock to be in the rotation and Hairston, based on his experience and being named a captain today, figures to be, too, at least initially. That's 7 players - K's traditional depth. That leaves Matt Jones, Alex Murphy, Semi, Marshall and Andre. We'd have to go 9 just to give PT to the guy wowing everyone in the preseason (Jones) and to the DBR sentimental favorite/I mean proven Senior leader (Andre) - which means Semi/Alex/Marshall stand to not play at all? That doesn't seem possible. When you start listing it out like that, it shows that we've got tons of depth - 12 names that seem like they should get some time in games. K always says its more important to develop the starters than the bench - the depth of pretty quality play in the preseason will put that maxim to the test as much as it has since 1998/99.

camion
11-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Duke should win.

Davidson could win. It would be an upset, but not a gigantic upset.

dlthompson79
11-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I have a question. I will be spending my first game as a Crazy against Davidson. My question is what time does the gym open and is there a line for the general admission section and what time will people be getting there.
Thanks for the help!! So stoked for the season. Hood is going to be a beast!

flyingdutchdevil
11-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Duke should win.

Davidson isn't ranked (ranked 81st in Pomeroy). Duke is ranked #4. It's in Cameron. First game of the season. I beg to differ - it would be a gigantic upset.

Davidson could win. But, knowing Coach K, there isn't a doubt in my mind that Duke will lose.

Let's get this season started!!!

CDu
11-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Davidson isn't ranked (ranked 81st in Pomeroy). Duke is ranked #4. It's in Cameron. First game of the season. I beg to differ - it would be a gigantic upset.

Davidson could win. But, knowing Coach K, there isn't a doubt in my mind that Duke will lose.

Let's get this season started!!!

The bolded part reads wrong. I assume you mean that there isn't a doubt in your mind that Duke will win.

Assuming my assumption is correct, I agree. We will win.

mattman91
11-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Projected starters according to A tweet from @dukebasketball is the same lineup we saw from the Drury game...Cook, Thornton, Hood, Parker, and Jefferson. I'm guessing this is due to Sulaimon's sickness and inability to fully practice.

flyingdutchdevil
11-06-2013, 04:36 PM
The bolded part reads wrong. I assume you mean that there isn't a doubt in your mind that Duke will win.

Assuming my assumption is correct, I agree. We will win.

I've been having brain fart after brain fart for the last few months. I blame it on the Boston weather.

sagegrouse
11-06-2013, 04:38 PM
I've been having brain fart after brain fart for the last few months. I blame it on the Boston weather.

Two more ESL courses and you'll be totally illliterate like the rest of us.

sage

GGLC
11-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Projected starters according to A tweet from @dukebasketball is the same lineup we saw from the Drury game...Cook, Thornton, Hood, Parker, and Jefferson. I'm guessing this is due to Sulaimon's sickness and inability to fully practice.

What a weird starting lineup given our shooting guard depth. I feel like Thornton starting at the two spot essentially guarantees that one of Matt and Andre plays fairly minimal minutes, even if Sheed is still out.

Native
11-06-2013, 05:02 PM
I have a question. I will be spending my first game as a Crazy against Davidson. My question is what time does the gym open and is there a line for the general admission section and what time will people be getting there.
Thanks for the help!! So stoked for the season. Hood is going to be a beast!

Current undergrad Line Monitor here. Doors for students open an hour and a half before tip, while doors for General Admission folks open one hour before tip IIRC. There's usually a line beforehand, but since it's on the opposite side of Cameron from where the undergrads enter the stadium I've never been able to see how big it gets.

If you want to get there early, feel free to swing by K-Ville while you wait! There's a pep rally for the State game on Saturday going on in the 'Ville starting at 4PM or so with Coach Cutcliffe and the football team —I'm a real wanker for saying this.they'll be speaking and giving out free swag to students so there should be more than a few Crazies out there.

Enjoy the game! Cheer loud!

Henderson
11-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Duke should win.

That would be total protonic reversal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaLZHiJJnE

Potato Head
11-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Is it possible for a season opener to be a trap game?

Troublemaker
11-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Nah, I don't see the trap potential. Post-Drury, the players discussed their performance like it was a loss and immediately started focusing on Davidson. In the postgame, Thornton said Davidson was going to kill Duke if our guys didn't play better on Friday. So I think there will be appropriate respect for the opponent.

In fact, based on how the players reacted after Drury, I'd be surprised if Duke isn't extremely sharp on Friday, and I think Duke will beat Davidson by a wider margin than Duke beat Drury. Davidson losing their two best guards and their best player and center Cohen from last season factors into my prediction, of course.

Henderson
11-07-2013, 05:10 PM
As of late Thursday afternoon, Duke is favored by 17.

dukestheheat
11-07-2013, 09:33 PM
(For those who are curious my son ended up going to Davidson; he's a sophomore there and is playing in their Pep Band at home basketball games!!).

Davidson does not have the athletic ability to truly compete with Duke, but this game benefits both programs. As mentioned in the scouting post, the Wildcats lost a lot of offensive firepower but even more than that, they really depended on their center, Jake Cohen. Their weakness this year will be inside the paint.

It looks like Coach McKillop will run a guard-heavy game, and keep a watch on the sophomore transfer, who is a 3 point shooter and was on the MAC All-Freshman team before enrolling at Davidson.

And, Davidson is actually predicted to finish 2nd in the Southern Conference this year, behind Elon.

Dth.

Coballs
11-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Also in the backcourt mix for Davidson is Brian Sullivan, a transfer from Miami (Ohio). He was All-Freshman MAC in his only year there.

Oh no, not Sullivan!!!

Coballs
11-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Current undergrad Line Monitor here. Doors for students open an hour and a half before tip, while doors for General Admission folks open one hour before tip IIRC. There's usually a line beforehand, but since it's on the opposite side of Cameron from where the undergrads enter the stadium I've never been able to see how big it gets.

If you want to get there early, feel free to swing by K-Ville while you wait! There's a pep rally for the State game on Saturday going on in the 'Ville starting at 4PM or so with Coach Cutcliffe and the football team —I'm a real wanker for saying this.they'll be speaking and giving out free swag to students so there should be more than a few Crazies out there.

Enjoy the game! Cheer loud!

My advice...walk into Cameron 45 minutes before tip-off to check out the Duke Hall of Fame and to watch the warmups/pre-game festivities. The rest of your pre-game experience should be spent drinking beer and seeing K-Ville on game day.

JPtheGame
11-08-2013, 12:19 AM

I work in addictions as a clinical director, have met with Chris Herren twice personally, and I can almost guarantee that Chris would laugh at your comment and agree with your assessment. Hell, he's made a second career out of saying the exact same thing. Good dude.

Kedsy
11-08-2013, 01:31 AM
Oh no, not Sullivan!!!

You're showing your age, my friend.

throatybeard
11-08-2013, 02:09 AM
s
I got better….

She turned me into a newt.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but my life with my wife got way better when I ceased insisting on the sanctity of sports on TV. I had to give up something of little value. A November MBB game here or there. Enough of those, and she stopped complaining when I had to see Masters Sunday.

What's great about this is, given that concession, she's finally starting to buy into sports as a community thing. She was all in for the MLB playoffs in October.

jv001
11-08-2013, 06:50 AM
She turned me into a newt.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but my life with my wife got way better when I ceased insisting on the sanctity of sports on TV. I had to give up something of little value. A November MBB game here or there. Enough of those, and she stopped complaining when I had to see Masters Sunday.

What's great about this is, given that concession, she's finally starting to buy into sports as a community thing. She was all in for the MLB playoffs in October.

throatybeard, I'm sure she was all in for the Cardinals and their playoff run. I thought we had em going back to St. Louie. GoRedbirds and GoDuke!

Ichabod Drain
11-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Been waiting about seven months for this...

DrChainsaw
11-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Is there a way to listen to the game, without paying? I can be really cheap when it comes to paying for things like a radio broadcast.

davekay1971
11-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Been waiting about seven months for this...

I'm with you. Seems hard to believe it's the day of the season opener. Can't wait to see our boys in action in a real game. The kids are going to have to put themselves to bed tonight...including my one year old.

Henderson
11-08-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm with you. Seems hard to believe it's the day of the season opener. Can't wait to see our boys in action in a real game. The kids are going to have to put themselves to bed tonight...including my one year old.

There are some advantages to living in the Pacific time zone. And having grown children.

flyingdutchdevil
11-08-2013, 11:38 AM
There are some advantages to living in the Pacific time zone. And having grown children.

You enjoy watching games at 4pm? I don't think I could ever get used to that.

Eakane
11-08-2013, 11:57 AM
If we're sincerely going to go full, 3/4 or even half court press, it will necessitate running fresh bodies in. This is our best shot at seeing Alex, Semi and MPIII, along with the other more likely suspects off the bench. I understand why Josh and Tyler will get PT first, and one way or another a rotation will be resolved between Rasheed, Jones and Andre at the point. But IMO, Alex Semi and MPIII are just too good to ride the bench.

Kedsy
11-08-2013, 12:06 PM
If we're sincerely going to go full, 3/4 or even half court press, it will necessitate running fresh bodies in.

As I mentioned in the Phase 0 thread, this isn't necessarily true. The three Duke teams that played the fastest pace in the last 17 years also played the three shortest benches in Coach K's entire tenure at Duke. So Coach K might continually run in fresh bodies, especially against teams like Davidson, but it's far from given.

Eakane
11-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Fast pace is not the same as pressing full court, although one sometimes leads to the other. In the past 17 years or so, we've full court pressed only slightly more than we've gone zone, which is rare.

I've been fooled by K before, believing we were going to run more players in than the usual 6-7 rotation he settles on. But this time he's backed it up with an excellent reason -- the talent and athleticism of the players potentially coming in off the bench lend itself to more than the standard man-you-ball defense (which granted, also takes a supreme effort).

One of the many great things K has done in his tenure is adapt his strategy to fully exploint the particular talents of a given team. Unless someone's not hustling at practice, there's no reason not to take advantage of what this group brings to the table. I want to see Parker and Hood on the floor as much as possible, but I think it only makes them better if they get a breather, while Semi and Alex get a chance to show they belong too.

It's a win win.

Troublemaker
11-08-2013, 01:16 PM
If we're sincerely going to go full, 3/4 or even half court press, it will necessitate running fresh bodies in. This is our best shot at seeing Alex, Semi and MPIII, along with the other more likely suspects off the bench. I understand why Josh and Tyler will get PT first, and one way or another a rotation will be resolved between Rasheed, Jones and Andre at the point. But IMO, Alex Semi and MPIII are just too good to ride the bench.

I agree that the full court press will mean a lengthier rotation, but at the same time, one doesn't need a 12-man rotation to full-court press. I think Coach K will press with a 9-man rotation (maybe even 8) and in games where Duke gets a big enough lead, starting hopefully with the game tonight, the 10th, 11th, and 12 man will then get playing time. It'll be like the Bowie St exhibition game when Semi and MP3 didn't even get into the game until the second half but ended up playing solid minutes because Duke was way ahead. But, in close games, I wouldn't expect to see the 10th, 11th, and 12th men.

Troublemaker
11-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Is there a way to listen to the game, without paying? I can be really cheap when it comes to paying for things like a radio broadcast.

One or more of these 12 stations should have it: http://tunein.com/radio/stations/Duke-Blue-Devils-Radio-Stations-a37610/

flyingdutchdevil
11-08-2013, 05:54 PM
OH MY GOD!!!!!

I more hour! It's nearly here! I'm so excited!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

moonpie23
11-08-2013, 06:26 PM
I am READY !!!!!!! gonna do my regular and listen to bob harris on the radio (2.5 seconds ahead of the action, usually) and watch the action !!

LET'S ROCK!!!!

riverside6
11-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Davidson, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=19838

Thornton gets the start once again.

TNDukeFan
11-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Anybody have one that's working?

summerwind03
11-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Other than the invite only Dbr chat, anyone else chatting tonight?

Gthoma2a
11-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Okay, shots are falling. That's a good sign.

If they keep officiating this way throughout the season, they will ruin the tempo of the game.

TNDukeFan
11-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Anybody have one that's working?

http://www.day.to/watch/live/streaming/online/free/en-vivo/5/69418/november-8-2013/davidson-vs-duke.html

davekay1971
11-08-2013, 07:11 PM
2 on Amile already. He's going to have to learn how to play aggressively but still stay on the floor for 30+ minutes per game. That's a skill, and one he absolutely has to learn this season.

pfrduke
11-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Okay, shots are falling. That's a good sign.

If they keep officiating this way throughout the season, they will ruin the tempo of the game.

If the teams start to adjust to the style of officiating, it could open the game up quite a bit and improve tempo. It's on the players to adjust (and, hopefully, the refs to be consistent through the season).

Gthoma2a
11-08-2013, 07:22 PM
"From watching the old stuff, they always brought energy," Parker said. "They were never comfortable, and teams were afraid of them. I think nowadays, teams aren't afraid of us but are more highly anticipated in looking forward to beating us. We need to have that mentality back from the late 90s where teams were afraid to play and schedule us."

Jabari Parker.
http://m.fayobserver.com/articles/2013/11/06/1294558?path=/articles/2013/11/06/1294558

I've been thinking about this all day. I hope that we can find a way to separate like we used to. We finally have the potential to play that style again. I hope to see it start tonight. 40 point drubbings are something that I miss. We are running so far, but teams are able to get back on defense so far. I want to see us run and wear them down.

NICE TO SEE RASHEED KNOCK IT DOWN!

Jabari's putting forth the effort for it so far.

davekay1971
11-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Wow. This team has weapons. Big time weapons.

JPtheGame
Want a sleeper for the tourney this year?
Just look at teams that shoot free throws well.
Going to be a lot of games of HORSE to watch in 13-14

kAzE
Okay . . . I guess we're not going to have any problems shooting from deep.

FerryFor50
11-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Really impressed with Hood. Plays under control and is fluid. Uses his length well.

Loving Parker. Great court vision and instincts.

Liking that lots of guys are getting minutes.

Not liking Josh Hairston's newfound love of shooting 3s. :)

kAzE
11-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Nice to see how deep we're going in to the rotation this early in the game. Still haven't seen Andre yet though.

davekay1971
11-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Not liking Josh Hairston's newfound love of shooting 3s. :)

I'm okay with it, as long as he's taking open looks and can hit enough to keep defenses honest. Josh is going to spend a lot of his PT at the 4, and guys like Parker, Hood, Sulaimon, and Cook are going to be a lot better off if the lane is not crowded. If Josh makes his man come out and guard him in the corner, rather than hanging back and clogging the lane so our drivers can't drive, our offense will be much better. Think of Josh's 3 point attempts as a loss leader, if you will.

kAzE
11-08-2013, 07:33 PM
I didn't catch the tip, who started over Sulaimon? I assume Thornton?

Gthoma2a
11-08-2013, 07:34 PM
I didn't catch the tip, who started over sulaimon?

Tyler.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Only 12 minutes in to the season but if K gets Parker to stay for a 2nd year, it would be nothing short of a miracle.

That guy is amazing.

Also, if I didn't know it, I would think I was watching an ESPN Classic presentation of the 1999 team.

davekay1971
11-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Also, if I didn't know it, I would think I was watching an ESPN Classic presentation of the 1999 team.

Elton got skinny.

duke4ever19
11-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Only 12 minutes in to the season but if K gets Parker to stay for a 2nd year, it would be nothing short of a miracle.

That guy is amazing.

I've been wondering what team this years' squad most resembles. 1999 is a good comparison. We don't have Brand, but they skill level and pace is close.

jay
11-08-2013, 07:36 PM
I didn't catch the tip, who started over Sulaimon? I assume Thornton?

Yes, Thornton.

kAzE
11-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Boy Rodney is such a polished scorer. I'm pretty confident that he will lead the team in scoring.

FerryFor50
11-08-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm okay with it, as long as he's taking open looks and can hit enough to keep defenses honest. Josh is going to spend a lot of his PT at the 4, and guys like Parker, Hood, Sulaimon, and Cook are going to be a lot better off if the lane is not crowded. If Josh makes his man come out and guard him in the corner, rather than hanging back and clogging the lane so our drivers can't drive, our offense will be much better. Think of Josh's 3 point attempts as a loss leader, if you will.

I'll feel better when he hits one. It's an ugly jumper, though...

FerryFor50
11-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Good thing about the new officiating emphasis on fouls... Won't be many threads complaining about who didn't play because everyone will be in foul trouble.

Gthoma2a
11-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Who is deep enough to deal with all of these fouls in a close game? Todd had best be really working on his game, if this keeps up all season...

kAzE
11-08-2013, 07:41 PM

I dunno, he got pulled from the game pretty quick after that 3 point attempt haha.

duke4ever19
11-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Good thing about the new officiating emphasis on fouls... Won't be many threads complaining about who didn't play because everyone will be in foul trouble.

This.

I'm very frustrated with the change, but I believe the guys will adjust and be able to use it to their advantage.

throatybeard
11-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Aesthetics in Duke basketball have generally gotten worse and worse over the last two decades, but I kind of like this white Iron D on a blue field at center court.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-08-2013, 07:44 PM
I've been wondering what team this years' squad most resembles. 1999 is a good comparison. We don't have Brand, but they skill level and pace is close.

It's true we don't have beef inside, but we're really "long" to counter the lack of size. Other than TT and Cook, everyone seems 6'8" out there. Our length is causing Davidson fits on the perimeter.

Gthoma2a
11-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Can't wait for Davidson to get tired. We can really run then... if we still have anyone eligible.

bluedev_92
11-08-2013, 07:50 PM
What's up with Dawkins - snuck in last minute of the half...

kAzE
11-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Wow, I guess Jabari just isn't ever going to miss a shot.

Nice to see that opponents still respect Andre's shot. Quinn got a wide open layup because Andre's man refused to help off of Andre in the corner.

subzero02
11-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Hood and especially Parker are as good as advertised... Our ft shooting aside from Parker is a concern

FerryFor50
11-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Hood and especially Parker are as good as advertised... Our ft shooting aside from Parker is a concern

They might want to get better at it. Looks like they will be shooting a lot of them.

Wildling
11-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Anyone besides me think Parker's game resembles Mr.Hill's type of game? Just more of a polished scorer. Which is scary to think about!

FerryFor50
11-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Anyone besides me think Parker's game resembles Mr.Hill's type of game? Just more of a polished scorer. Which is scary to think about!

I don't. Parker has more of a post game... A little less athletic but more well rounded.

Potato Head
11-08-2013, 08:03 PM

I think Carmelo (as one analyst just said) and Kevin Durant both seem like reasonable comparisons as well. Not bad.

JBDuke
11-08-2013, 08:04 PM

I don't. Parker has more of a post game... A little less athletic but more well rounded.

Yeah. I don't see Grant's game here. What I see more of is Lamar Odom's game.

FerryFor50
11-08-2013, 08:06 PM

Also, Grant's jumper wasn't this good his freshman year.

Atldukie79
11-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Love this team.
1) We are pushing the ball, but show some restraint if the quick open shot is not there.
2) Hood and Jabari are the real deal
3) Defense is behind...
4) FG defense a bit off

Of course its only a half...

moonpie23
11-08-2013, 08:09 PM
this is usually when i'm criticizing………….i'm not…..

the new rules and take on officiating with me a work in process...

duke4ever19
11-08-2013, 08:12 PM

Hmm nice observation. Odom is a very good comparison.

FerryFor50
11-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Shooting 73% from the field so far. Yikes!

Wildling
11-08-2013, 08:21 PM

Time will tell. I don't recall much of Odom's collegiate career.

FerryFor50
11-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Time will tell. I don't recall much of Odom's collegiate career.

That's because there wasn't much of one. I think he put in maybe a year at Rhode Island after sitting out a year for NCAA violations.

duke09hms
11-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Wasn't there a poster who kept claiming Andre would beat out Rasheed at the wing?

umm yeah

Gthoma2a
11-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Wasn't there a poster who kept claiming Andre would beat out Rasheed at the wing?

umm yeah

If we are referencing me, I did say that Rasheed wouldn't be the starter until he got out of his funk, but I honestly didn't know if it would be Matt or Dre that took his spot. It turned out that it was Tyler. With that said, Rasheed looks to be out of his slump. I would love him to start now that he is playing well.

Actually, I don't care if he starts. The minutes are what matter, not who is starting. He has had a heck of a game... AND HE DIDN'T START.

MarkD83
11-08-2013, 08:31 PM
I am glad we have a lot of depth. We discuss all of the time that K only plays 7-8 players but with the new foul rules he will have to play 9-10 just to keep bodies on the court.

duke09hms
11-08-2013, 08:35 PM
If we are referencing me, I did say that Rasheed wouldn't be the starter until he got out of his funk, but I honestly didn't know if it would be Matt or Dre that took his spot. It turned out that it was Tyler. With that said, Rasheed looks to be out of his slump. I would love him to start now that he is playing well.

Actually, I don't care if he starts. The minutes are what matter, not who is starting. He has had a heck of a game... AND HE DIDN'T START.

Nah it was someone else who was quite adamant Andre would beat out Rasheed for minutes. But yeah I agree, minutes are what's important. I do think a Quinn-Tyler starting lineup might give up too much size at the guard spots though.

Gthoma2a
11-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Nah it was someone else who was quite adamant Andre would beat out Rasheed for minutes. But yeah I agree, minutes are what's important. I do think a Quinn-Tyler-Sheed starting lineup might give up too much size though.

I totally agree about the size thing. I don't expect the same starters against Kansas. They are looking human tonight, by the way.

Wow! That play was amazing.

These games are going to ruin ESPN's scheduling. I hate that we are going to be 9 PM start times a lot this year.

Potato Head
11-08-2013, 08:45 PM
LeBron James is literally the laziest possible comparison for Jabari Parker.

BlueDevilBrowns
11-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Ah, "Stall Ball", how I've missed you.

duke09hms
11-08-2013, 08:46 PM
It's early but our defense could use a lot of work. Davidson is scoring way too easily. I know what counts is points-per-possession, but they're on pace to hang close to 80 on us. In our 2010 year, we held teams to what like 60-62 ppg.

Gthoma2a
11-08-2013, 08:51 PM
I love seeing us run. If we get a little more polished with it (speed wise), I'm never going to stop talking trash at work. It is already pretty close to that.

Henderson
11-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Four players with 20+ points. Quinn has 21, with 8 assists and no turnovers. One more rebound, and Rodney will have a double double.

NashvilleDevil
11-08-2013, 08:55 PM
It's early but our defense could use a lot of work. Davidson is scoring way too easily. I know what counts is points-per-possession, but they're on pace to hang close to 80 on us. In our 2010 year, we held teams to what like 60-62 ppg.

Duke is on pace for 115 so what if they score 80?

These new rules will be interesting because if they continue to call it like this teams will have a tough time keeping up with Duke even when they're not shooting 70%+

Henderson
11-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Laura Keeley tweets: "No problem with the offensive flow tonight."

Wildling
11-08-2013, 08:58 PM

These new rules will be interesting because if they continue to call it like this teams will have a tough time keeping up with Duke even when they're not shooting 70%+

Can someone point me in the direction to the new rules? I'm a little behind on current events :o

duke09hms
11-08-2013, 08:59 PM

I'd rather have a lockdown defense that we know we can rely on. See Duke 2002.
Different sport, but last night Stanford's physical D shut out Oregon's 50+ppg offense late into the 4th. Defense wins championships. Duke 2010.

-jk
11-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Duke 111, Davidson 77

Thanks for those who came to DBR Chat!

-jk