PDA

View Full Version : Front Page: Two Phenomenal Plays

94duke
11-05-2013, 09:55 AM
I didn't see a link to the kentucky clip, so I found one on youtube.
That's pretty crazy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BuolPqdR7Y

flyingdutchdevil
11-05-2013, 10:01 AM
I didn't see a link to the kentucky clip, so I found one on youtube.
That's pretty crazy!!

The single best part of that video is how the Kentucky fan base stands up and claps after the shot. Now, there are two possible reasons for this:

1) Any time a Kentucky player scores, they applaud. Their status as an "academic" school denies them from understanding which basket is which.

2) Ashley Judd just accidentally flashed the whole stadium at the same time as the shot. I too would stand up and clap.

johnb
11-05-2013, 10:01 AM
thanks for the link.

the announcer on the play indicated that the shot would be credited to the nearest opposing player (makes sense, like a rebound), but that it only count 2 points. Is that correct? Seems like it should be a three...

blUDAYvil
11-05-2013, 10:19 AM
thanks for the link.

the announcer on the play indicated that the shot would be credited to the nearest opposing player (makes sense, like a rebound), but that it only count 2 points. Is that correct? Seems like it should be a three...

From Wikipedia:

When accidentally scoring at an opposing team's basket (basketball's equivalent of an "own goal"), the goal is credited to an offensive player.
In NCAA basketball, the rules state: "When a player scores a field goal in the opponent’s basket, it shall count two points for the opponent regardless of the location on the playing court from where it was released. Such a field goal shall not be credited to a player in the scorebook but shall be indicated with a footnote."

-bdbd
11-05-2013, 10:26 AM
From Wikipedia:

When accidentally scoring at an opposing team's basket (basketball's equivalent of an "own goal"), the goal is credited to an offensive player.
In NCAA basketball, the rules state: "When a player scores a field goal in the opponent’s basket, it shall count two points for the opponent regardless of the location on the playing court from where it was released. Such a field goal shall not be credited to a player in the scorebook but shall be indicated with a footnote."

So, I wonder how that basket how they credited that bucket in the Rivers "the shot" game in Chapel Hill was credited, when a Kerlina player tapped in a missed shot for us down the stretch...

loran16
11-05-2013, 12:47 PM
So, I wonder how that basket how they credited that bucket in the Rivers "the shot" game in Chapel Hill was credited, when a Kerlina player tapped in a missed shot for us down the stretch...

Sort of except that applied a different rule. In that case, had Zeller tipped the ball in earlier in the shot's trajectory, that would've been worth 3 points, because the shot was still taken by RYAN KELLY and not Zeller. However the refs in that case ruled the ball was already no longer a shot at the time of the tip since it wasn't going in, and thus it became zeller's own shot which would've been by rule a 2.

DBFAN
11-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Ok here is my question. On the other video of Javonte Douglas, do you guys think it is legit. It appears that he is way up there before his teammates get under it. But I'm not exactly sure that our eyes aren't playing tricks on us. He does seem to get a boost. Of course I could be wrong (it's been known to happen) and that is all pure athleticism If so then, Holy Cow

Newton_14
11-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Sort of except that applied a different rule. In that case, had Zeller tipped the ball in earlier in the shot's trajectory, that would've been worth 3 points, because the shot was still taken by RYAN KELLY and not Zeller. However the refs in that case ruled the ball was already no longer a shot at the time of the tip since it wasn't going in, and thus it became zeller's own shot which would've been by rule a 2.

Thanks for the explanation Loran. In that game, did they credit the basket to a Duke player, or did they go the footnote route and credit the two points to Duke without crediting the basket to any specific Duke player? I remember Mason being the closest Duke player to Zeller, but I don't think the gave the points to Mason did they? I am drawing a blank here, sorry.

Thanks

Duvall
11-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the explanation Loran. In that game, did they credit the basket to a Duke player, or did they go the footnote route and credit the two points to Duke without crediting the basket to any specific Duke player? I remember Mason being the closest Duke player to Zeller, but I don't think the gave the points to Mason did they? I am drawing a blank here, sorry.

Thanks

Looking at the gamebook (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205376619), it looks like they credited Kelly with a made 2-pt jumper. Which I guess would be wrong, but UNC has always done its own thing in keeping stats.