PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 38, NCSU 20

loran16
11-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Bye Week over! Now for more Duke Football!

Depending upon where you look, Duke opened this week as a 9 or 10 point favorite over NC State. Sagarin suggests that is actually a point or two too low - NC State has not been good, even with Mitchell coming back the last two weeks.

Prior to last week, State was ranked by FO as the 83rd ranked Offense in the country, who was better but not particularly good at running than passing. With Mitchell as their likely primary QB for next week - that's still the case....Mitchell is a solid runner but meh at best passer, so think like a worse version of Logan Thomas. Duke has plenty of experience with that this year, although Mitchell's read option runs are likely to be more frequent than Thomas'. Duke needs to shut the QB Run down. Sophomore Shardrich Thornton also has some promising running #s and should be a big part of their offense.

Passing wise however, ew. They rank second to last in pass efficiency in the ACC and their best receiver Brian Underwood missed the UNC game with an injury.

In short, NC State might be the worst offense we've played against since Memphis - but then again, UVA is nearly as bad and still put up some points on us. Can't make stupid mistakes on D.

---------

Defensively, State isn't terrible, although they're not elite - FO ranks them 50th in the Country (VT was #1 in the Country) prior to last week. They're particularly vulnerable to runs - 91st in the Country and UNC made great use of that. Again, our running backs need to feast on this opportunity.

---

In short, we SHOULD win this game, absolutely, and we deserve to be favored by double digits. Cannot afford a let down game here, and I don't think Cutcliffe will let them have one.

jimsumner
11-04-2013, 12:06 PM
How does Duke handle success? That's really the key question for me. Can Duke make the mental transition from hunter to hunted, from perennial underdog to clear favorite, from bullied to bully? Duke doesn't have much experience dealing with this particular set of emotions and circumstances. Complacency or overconfidence could be a killer.

If Duke can meet this test, it should be a good day Saturday. State is battered, bruised and falling fast. But Duke still has to answer the question.

throatybeard
11-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Duke and State are still in the same conference? Wow. I thought Duke was in the conference with Pitt and Syracuse and Boston College and Miami.

jimsumner
11-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Duke and State are still in the same conference? Wow. I thought Duke was in the conference with Pitt and Syracuse and Boston College and Miami.

Don't get me started. Expansion or no expansion, I just don't see how the ACC has deep-sixed a long-standing rivalry between two in-conference schools located 25 miles apart. Forty some thousand people ran farther than that in the NYC marathon yesterday, for crying out loud.

throatybeard
11-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Don't get me started. Expansion or no expansion, I just don't see how the ACC has deep-sixed a long-standing rivalry between two in-conference schools located 25 miles apart. Forty some thousand people ran farther than that in the NYC marathon yesterday, for crying out loud.

Speaking of the schedule, Jim, I'm looking at the basketball schedule. Do you know how this was decided?

Assuming our game versus Our Lady of Northern Indiana is a conference game, Duke plays eighteen ACC games. There are fourteen schools in the ACC who aren't us, so that means you've got to play everybody once, and just four schools twice.

Our home and homes are with, Carolina (OK), Wake Forest (sure)...and Georgia Tech and Syracuse. Duke plays the Wolfies just once, in Durham.

Syracuse makes some sense on the basis that they're really good, and ESPN wants the teams to play twice--both games are on mainline ESPN.
But the Georgia Tech games are on ESPNU and "ACC," whatever that is. I don't see that as a very good reason to split up Duke and NC State.

jjasper0729
11-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Speaking of the schedule, Jim, I'm looking at the basketball schedule. Do you know how this was decided?

Assuming our game versus Our Lady of Northern Indiana is a conference game, Duke plays eighteen ACC games. There are fourteen schools in the ACC who aren't us, so that means you've got to play everybody once, and just four schools twice.

Our home and homes are with, Carolina (OK), Wake Forest (sure)...and Georgia Tech and Syracuse. Duke plays the Wolfies just once, in Durham.

Syracuse makes some sense on the basis that they're really good, and ESPN wants the teams to play twice--both games are on mainline ESPN.
But the Georgia Tech games are on ESPNU and "ACC," whatever that is. I don't see that as a very good reason to split up Duke and NC State.

Duke has been split with NCSU (no home/home) since expansion to 11 then 12. It truly doth sucketh. I echo Jim's "Don't get me started" in both Football and Basketball

nocilla
11-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Passing wise however, ew. They rank second to last in pass efficiency in the ACC and their best receiver Brian Underwood missed the UNC game with an injury.

Is it possible that the NCSU quarterback hasn't had the chance to get into rhythm yet? Mitchell is the QB that missed several games due to injury, correct? His first game back was against FSU, not a good defense to get your feet wet against. Then this week he played UNC without his best receiver. I don't know the health status of Underwood but if he returns and Mitchell gets another week of practice, can that be enough for Mitchell to get going?

Duvall
11-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Is it possible that the NCSU quarterback hasn't had the chance to get into rhythm yet? Mitchell is the QB that missed several games due to injury, correct? His first game back was against FSU, not a good defense to get your feet wet against. Then this week he played UNC without his best receiver. I don't know the health status of Underwood but if he returns and Mitchell gets another week of practice, can that be enough for Mitchell to get going?

Underwood is out for the rest of the season. (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/11/02/4435734/new-targeting-rule-costs-nc-state.html)

But it's definitely possible that Mitchell could be better with another week of practice. That said, UNC's defense isn't great.

loran16
11-04-2013, 03:48 PM

Mitchell was a third string QB at Arkansas who mainly played WR before transferring. He's not considered to be much of a passing threat regardless, although it's totally possible for any player to get on a hot streak. Just, less likely.

throatybeard
11-04-2013, 03:49 PM
The split with State at ACC-11 probably had to do with the conference's idiotic notion that Duke and Maryland were better partners in MBB than Duke and State. Or, more charitably, that WFU and State were better partners than Duke and anybody.

Look, I'm not anti-expansion--you do what you need to do to survive. The ACC exists as a modified but still-functional whole; the 2002 Big East does not. It's not 1969, South Carolina moved on, great, whatever. I'm not reactionary.

I just wish that, as much as possible, given the current landscape, we could get things as right as possible under the current circumstances. And if you've got four H&H slots in MBB, I can't understand how Duke and State don't make the cut for each other.

Bringing this back to football, the SEC(-12) did something interesting a few years ago. They originally pursued a 5-2-1 formula, where you had two cross-division opponents fixed, and just one floating. The decisions about who was who had a lot to do with the power programs, and the weaker programs sort of got slung together. So Mississippi State, whose SEC existence peaked in 1941, got slung together with Kentucky and newcomer South Carolina. But, after a few years, they decided to switch it to 5-1-2, one dedicated and two floating. The pairings were UF/LSU, UGA/AU, UT/Bama (the powerhouses, basically), and OM/Vandy, MSU/UK, and USC/Arkansas, the last being the newcomers.

The SEC, even at fourteen, seems like a more natural cluster of schools, insofar as everyone is in the Deep South but Kentucky, Tennessee, and newcomer Mizzou; and most of Kentucky and all of Tennessee are deeply Southern places. The current alignment is residue of that--Bama and Tennessee have a long, long rivalry, and to make the logic of the east and west totally geographic, you'd have to move Auburn to the east, which would regain their rivalry with Florida, but would require them to be Bama's cross-divisional partner, and would break up Bama and Tennessee.

The ACC at fourteen also has a 5-1-2 thing going on. I think the reason we're paired with Wake Forest is you can't break up State and Carolina. But in basketball, when there are four teams you play twice, I just don't understand how Duke-NC State doesn't make that cut.

Well, at least Maryland is gone soon.

loran16
11-04-2013, 04:00 PM
The split with State at ACC-11 probably had to do with the conference's idiotic notion that Duke and Maryland were better partners in MBB than Duke and State. Or, more charitably, that WFU and State were better partners than Duke and anybody.

Look, I'm not anti-expansion--you do what you need to do to survive. The ACC exists as a modified but still-functional whole; the 2002 Big East does not. It's not 1969, South Carolina moved on, great, whatever. I'm not reactionary.

I just wish that, as much as possible, given the current landscape, we could get things as right as possible under the current circumstances. And if you've got four H&H slots in MBB, I can't understand how Duke and State don't make the cut for each other.

Bringing this back to football, the SEC(-12) did something interesting a few years ago. They originally pursued a 5-2-1 formula, where you had two cross-division opponents fixed, and just one floating. The decisions about who was who had a lot to do with the power programs, and the weaker programs sort of got slung together. So Mississippi State, whose SEC existence peaked in 1941, got slung together with Kentucky and newcomer South Carolina. But, after a few years, they decided to switch it to 5-1-2, one dedicated and two floating. The pairings were UF/LSU, UGA/AU, UT/Bama (the powerhouses, basically), and OM/Vandy, MSU/UK, and USC/Arkansas, the last being the newcomers.

The SEC, even at fourteen, seems like a more natural cluster of schools, insofar as everyone is in the Deep South but Kentucky, Tennessee, and newcomer Mizzou; and most of Kentucky and all of Tennessee are deeply Southern places. The current alignment is residue of that--Bama and Tennessee have a long, long rivalry, and to make the logic of the east and west totally geographic, you'd have to move Auburn to the east, which would regain their rivalry with Florida, but would require them to be Bama's cross-divisional partner, and would break up Bama and Tennessee.

The ACC at fourteen also has a 5-1-2 thing going on. I think the reason we're paired with Wake Forest is you can't break up State and Carolina. But in basketball, when there are four teams you play twice, I just don't understand how Duke-NC State doesn't make that cut.

Well, at least Maryland is gone soon.

To be fair, Wake has been our permanent rival in Football, not Maryland. And this year Wake is our permanent rival in bball, not Maryland.

The issue is that the league only wants you to have two permanent rivals, not more, and there needs to be some overlap. UNC's permanent rivals are Duke and State - this is logical. But that also means you can't have a closed loop by having Duke's rivals be State and UNC! So it's UNC and Wake instead.

Duvall
11-04-2013, 04:45 PM
To be fair, Wake has been our permanent rival in Football, not Maryland. And this year Wake is our permanent rival in bball, not Maryland.

The issue is that the league only wants you to have two permanent rivals, not more, and there needs to be some overlap. UNC's permanent rivals are Duke and State - this is logical. But that also means you can't have a closed loop by having Duke's rivals be State and UNC! So it's UNC and Wake instead.

I mean, in theory you could have five closed loops of three in basketball, but that would leave Wake out. You could also go to a 6-2-10 model instead of a 4-4-10 model, but that would mean telling eleven schools that they will get a home-and-home with Duke (or with North Carolina) once every eleven years. Not sure how well that would go over.

ETA: Actually, I don't know if the three rival model works with 15 teams. 16, but not 15.

DukeSean
11-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Something tells me we're going to get a heavy dose of the running game in this one, and we're going to be effective at it. I could easily see us going over 200 rush yards

Jarhead
11-04-2013, 05:14 PM
It's still football season, y'all. Pick another thread to hijack, please.

alteran
11-04-2013, 05:49 PM
I mean, in theory you could have five closed loops of three in basketball, but that would leave Wake out. You could also go to a 6-2-10 model instead of a 4-4-10 model, but that would mean telling eleven schools that they will get a home-and-home with Duke (or with North Carolina) once every eleven years. Not sure how well that would go over.

This.

What I keep hearing is that Duke (and, to a lesser extent, UNC) fills basketball arenas. Freeing up the maximum number of chances to play Duke (and, to a lesser extent, UNC) is something the school's presidents are going to press for and get.

When was the last time Duke played an away conference game to a less-than-packed arena? Schools relish the opportunity to play Duke (and, to a lesser extent, UNC)* on their home courts and there's no way they're going to give that up just so that we can have our (almost) 100 year basketball rivalry continue with NCSU.

This one has sailed away for good, folks.

--alteran

*Yes, I like typing that.

alteran
11-04-2013, 05:55 PM
How does Duke handle success? That's really the key question for me. Can Duke make the mental transition from hunter to hunted, from perennial underdog to clear favorite, from bullied to bully? Duke doesn't have much experience dealing with this particular set of emotions and circumstances. Complacency or overconfidence could be a killer.

If Duke can meet this test, it should be a good day Saturday. State is battered, bruised and falling fast. But Duke still has to answer the question.

That's the thing that scares me the most. Everyone is talking about winning the game over VT and what a program-changer it is for Duke, then we get a bye week to get it stuck in our heads.

And sometimes you come out of a bye week flat in the best of circumstances.

NCSU sure seems like a winnable game, but not if Duke doesn't come out there playing their best. Looking forward to Saturday.

Bob Green
11-04-2013, 06:08 PM
I'd like to see us really emphasize the run game this week. Line up with a tight end, two running backs and execute a power running game plus mix in the read option and a jet sweep or two. Once State commits a safety to stopping the run, and the linebackers start inching forward before the snap, Boone to Crowder on play action will be wide open.

We have a big talented offensive line, multiple good running backs and two quarterbacks who can run the ball so it is time to run over an opponent who struggles to stop the run.

Bob Green
11-04-2013, 06:10 PM

We beat Navy 35-7 after the first bye week so I'm hoping we have equal success on Saturday. When the schedule first came out I commented how our two bye weeks lined up nicely before two winnable homes games.

uh_no
11-04-2013, 06:32 PM
I'd like to see us really emphasize the run game this week. Line up with a tight end, two running backs and execute a power running game plus mix in the read option and a jet sweep or two. Once State commits a safety to stopping the run, and the linebackers start inching forward before the snap, Boone to Crowder on play action will be wide open.

We have a big talented offensive line, multiple good running backs and two quarterbacks who can run the ball so it is time to run over an opponent who struggles to stop the run.

wait, is bob green suggesting we use the run to set up the pass? I never would have thought :)

jimsumner
11-04-2013, 06:40 PM
That's the thing that scares me the most. Everyone is talking about winning the game over VT and what a program-changer it is for Duke, then we get a bye week to get it stuck in our heads.

NCSU sure seems like a winnable game, but not if Duke doesn't come out there playing their best. Looking forward to Saturday.

Cutcliffe made an interesting comment in Blacksburg, right after the game. He said the bye week came at a good time. Okay. The next statement would reference injuries and how the bye week gives you some time to get healthy. But that wasn't the next sentence. The next sentence was something along the lines of "We're on cloud nine right now and we'll need some time to come down."

So, a half hour or so after the final whistle, Cut was aware of the potential problem. He's been around the block a few times, so hopefully he and his staff are nipping in the bud any trends towards big-headedness.

Potato Head
11-04-2013, 07:09 PM
I'd like to see us really emphasize the run game this week.

If our quarterbacks occasionally come and go, our run game has been there all season. Even against Tech it was effective, albeit in just a small sampling.

Newton_14
11-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Cutcliffe made an interesting comment in Blacksburg, right after the game. He said the bye week came at a good time. Okay. The next statement would reference injuries and how the bye week gives you some time to get healthy. But that wasn't the next sentence. The next sentence was something along the lines of "We're on cloud nine right now and we'll need some time to come down."

So, a half hour or so after the final whistle, Cut was aware of the potential problem. He's been around the block a few times, so hopefully he and his staff are nipping in the bud any trends towards big-headedness.

Great share Jim. Cut also brought that up on his coaches show and on the Daily Football Report with Bob Harris... Smart dude. Glad he is on our side. Bob Harris told Cut the other day on the daily show that he was starting to remind him of the gentlemen that oversees our basketball program, with the way he approaches things and runs the program.

-jk
11-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Great share Jim. Cut also brought that up on his coaches show and on the Daily Football Report with Bob Harris... Smart dude. Glad he is on our side. Bob Harris told Cut the other day on the daily show that he was starting to remind him of the gentlemen that oversees our basketball program, with the way he approaches things and runs the program.

Tough shadow...

-jk

devildeac
11-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Tough shadow...

-jk

I dunno, -jk, how many QBs have you seen K develop and send to the NFL?;)

(I sure hope 1 smilie was enough to convince -jk that I am just pulling his chain ever so gently.)

OldPhiKap
11-04-2013, 11:02 PM

(I sure hope 1 smilie was enough to convince -jk that I am just pulling his chain ever so gentlly)

Coach K has never been voted SEC Coach of the Year. Advantage, Cut. ;-)

throatybeard
11-05-2013, 08:30 AM

He isn't tall enough to coach quarterbacks.

Dev11
11-05-2013, 09:10 AM

(I sure hope 1 smilie was enough to convince -jk that I am just pulling his chain ever so gently.)

That one time Greg Paulus worked out for the Packers

devildeac
11-05-2013, 09:21 AM
That one time Greg Paulus worked out for the Packers

Considering he's still on the MBB staff at tOSU, I elected not to include him in the Manning, Manning and Lewis group.

Bob Green
11-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Here is a preview, by College Football News, posted at The Devil's Den:

http://duke.scout.com/2/1343557.html

Duke 31, State 17

loran16
11-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Here is a preview, by College Football News, posted at The Devil's Den:

http://duke.scout.com/2/1343557.html

Duke 31, State 17

Money Line:

"The Blue Devils are more talented than NC State, and they’re executing better in all phases"

That's still nice to see.

I think that article underfocuses-upon our running game (which will be more important against the poor rushing D of State) but I think its score projection is reasonable.

Personally, I'd say more likely 35-21. But i give our D less credit than others do.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2013, 01:06 PM
All season long one of our tailgate members has played out the games ahead of time on PS3, and run a number of simulated matchups. The results have been both fun and interesting, his latest was posted today for the State game.

After the stunning upset in Blacksburg, I've tweaked the rosters to more accurately reflect the current state of each team. (i.e. Duke's linebackers have been upgraded due to their performance this year)

As a result I feel we have the most accurate simulation to date. Duke began in Vegas as a nine point (-9) favorite but on one betting site it's already up to -10. 62% of all current public bets are on Duke to cover the spread. I may be biased... OR AM I? Let the numbers decide:
http://crazietalk.net/2/post/2013/11/duke-vs-ncsu-simulation-preview.html

DukeSean
11-07-2013, 04:05 PM
hmmm, when I played the same matchup last night on my PS3 NCAA '10, I destroyed State like 56-0. With chew clock mode on the whole time.

Bob Green
11-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Here is a link to the game preview at Blue Devil Nation:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/11/n-c-state-at-duke-preview/

It's a decent read, but there's a chance I'm biased.

Bob Green
11-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Coach Cutcliffe audio interview on The David Glenn Show:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/david-cutcliffe-interview-nov-7

Good stuff. Coach says keys to beating State are:

1. Containing the run. State runs for 180 ypg. Have to minimize their effectiveness.
2. Offense playing entirely different than they did at VT.
3. Successfully running the ball. Duke is a better team when they successfully run the ball.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Coach Cutcliffe audio interview on The David Glenn Show:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/david-cutcliffe-interview-nov-7

Good stuff. Coach says keys to beating State are:

1. Containing the run. State runs for 180 ypg. Have to minimize their effectiveness.
2. Offense playing entirely different than they did at VT.
3. Successfully running the ball. Duke is a better team when they successfully run the ball.

Hard to beat a balanced attack.

davekay1971
11-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Bump to the first page, right when Duke basketball is about to tip off the season opener! Why?

Because we're a FOOTBALL school now!

Go Duke! Beat everyone in red and white this weekend!

OldPhiKap
11-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Bump to the first page, right when Duke basketball is about to tip off the season opener! Why?

Some nice props during the hoops game, including some footage of Cut talking to the students.

Play hard, stay healthy, win win win.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Some nice props during the hoops game, including some footage of Cut talking to the students.

Play hard, stay healthy, win win win.
Here's a link to pictures Duke Football posted on Facebook this afternoon..... a pep rally filling the space between Cameron and Card all the way down in front of the Yoh.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=536653973077517&set=a.530413873701527.1073741832.145989688810616&type=1&theater

devildeac
11-08-2013, 11:15 PM

Football school-HA!

That was my screen name tonight in one the chat rooms.:o

Reilly
11-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Rooting for the blue team, even if they're wearing black.

nyesq83
11-09-2013, 08:05 AM
What time is the Devil Walk today?

I couldn't find a game day events schedule, did anyone else?

Gonna be leaving Richmond in a half hour...see you all there!

I will be wearing my winter jacket with the gigantic Devil D patch on the back.

May the football gods smile upon us on this crisp fall day. Go Duke!

jv001
11-09-2013, 08:56 AM
What time is the Devil Walk today?

I couldn't find a game day events schedule, did anyone else?

Gonna be leaving Richmond in a half hour...see you all there!

I will be wearing my winter jacket with the gigantic Devil D patch on the back.

May the football gods smile upon us on this crisp fall day. Go Duke!

And may, my God keep you safe on your travel to Wade today. GoDuke!

peloton
11-09-2013, 01:32 PM
We've made much improvement over the last few years, no one can (honestly) deny that. The month of November has been our nemesis though with injuries to key players and difficult games down the stretch. But Duke isn't unique in that respect as many teams must deal with the same problems. It's time to turn the corner in regard to our November games and I can think of no better way to do that than against our friends from down the road in Raleigh. Let's go Blue Devils...time to get it done against the Wolfpack! Losing 6 times in a row to them at Wallace Wade needs to come to an end now!

OldPhiKap
11-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Per ESPN, we do not play the Wuffies again until 2020. That is a sin.

Is it true we haven't played them since 2009?!?

DU82
11-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Per ESPN, we do not play the Wuffies again until 2020. That is a sin.

Is it true we haven't played them since 2009?!?

Both are correct...the 2009 last game, and that not playing again until 2020 is a sin.

It was 49-28 over at the fair grounds. Two fumbles deep on punts, IIRC. The Wolfies left that game grumbling about Russell Wilson. I thought he was the only reason it was that close, but the Pack has to have something about their team to complain about.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Both are correct...the 2009 last game, and that not playing again until 2020 is a sin.

It was 49-28 over at the fair grounds. Two fumbles deep on punts, IIRC. The Wolfies left that game grumbling about Russell Wilson. I thought he was the only reason it was that close, but the Pack has to have something about their team to complain about.

Our win over State was huge, maybe Cut's first conference road win? Anywho, it was a big step forward.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2013, 04:00 PM
BTw, I just watched the replay of K's post-game press conference last night. I loved that, as he was leavings he table, he said "Beat State!"

Even K is excited.

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Russ Cockrell not starting on defense. Possibly out for the game?

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Boone with an ugly pick, but our young defensive players are stepping up to get the ball back.

grossbus
11-09-2013, 04:38 PM
One of our typical games: up and down

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Yep now State is running all over our defense.

Indoor66
11-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Yep now State is running all over our defense.Not that last stop on 4th & 1!

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Wow State with a very risky call. Going on 4th and 1 on their own 25 and DUKE DEFENSE HOLDS!!

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Not that last stop on 4th & 1!

What a dumb call by NC State coach. On their OWN 26?! Who does that, down only 1 TD in the 2nd quarter.

davekay1971
11-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Weird call by State, weird call on the throwback screen. No need for tricks there. Good solid football on third and short would have gotten the job done better.

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 05:09 PM
State having success with the run game, hope our D is looking out for the play-action pass.

walras
11-09-2013, 05:09 PM
From the TV crowd shots, it seems to be a nearly full Wallace Wade. Is it actually?

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Looking like another bad game for Boone, a 2nd ugly int. We might need more of the Cutcliffe half-time magic.

Stands look full in Wally Wade, wish I could be there.

Duke_92
11-09-2013, 05:25 PM
From the TV crowd shots, it seems to be a nearly full Wallace Wade. Is it actually?

Not sold out. But pretty full. Fortunately not as much red as with recent visits by the pack.

davekay1971
11-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Our D is playing really well, allowing us to overcome some inconsistent offense and 2 bad turnovers. We had our opportunities to put this one out of reach in the first half. Get a touchdown to open the 2nd half, and State is going to have a hard time overcoming that against our much improved D.

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Poor offense and inconsistent defense is letting State make a game of this. Gonna be another Duke FB nailbiter.

75Crazie
11-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Our offense is keeping State in the game. And now a punt return ties it. Duke is not winning this game unless the offense snaps out of its funk, and quickly.

Potato Head
11-09-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm not used to our defense being awesome and our offense being terrible. Wonder if Connette gets a run out on the next series?

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Was State supposed to have a strong D-line? Our O-line is getting beaten badly. No room for our RBs, no time for Boone.

Potato Head
11-09-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm not used to our defense being awesome and our offense being terrible. Wonder if Connette gets a run out on the next series?

Okay, I wonder if Connette gets a run out on the NEXT series...

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Boone is killing us. 3 picks.

bbosbbos
11-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Very sad.

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Thank God for our defense. Bending but not breaking, holding the NC State offense to FGs.

Offense needs to wake up now if we want to win this.

Potato Head
11-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Devon Edwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111

davekay1971
11-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Boone is suffering from a major crisis of confidence right now. Poor decisions, hesitation, all the signs of a quarterback who's overthinking it.

Well, that was a nice kickoff return...

duke09hms
Thank God for our defense. Bending but not breaking, holding the NC State offense to FGs.

Offense needs to wake up now if we want to win this.

Or Devon Edwards can make a huge play on KR. TD!

bbosbbos
We are still in the game thanks to the defense and the special team. QB play is really poor.

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Man Duke football should be on national TV. Exciting crazy games every week.

75Crazie
11-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Oh, this is killing me!

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Four turnovers AGAIN? Come on guys, we are trying to give this game away.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Okay, I asked this during VT game and got a good answer from Cut... Can we please run the damn ball?

grossbus
11-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Back to throwing to the sides. :confused:

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Guess not. Play calling has gotten pathetically conservative. Football version of four corners.

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 06:45 PM
I thought they specifically focused on the passing game the last two weeks.

Wow, thank God for our defense. Still can't wrap my mind around this new paradigm in Duke football: defense carries the offense.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Our offensive execution is offensive. Why in the world are we snapping the ball so fast. We could easily have taken another minute off the clock. What the ...?

CDu
11-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Our offensive execution is offensive. Why in the world are we snapping the ball so fast. We could easily have taken another minute off the clock. What the ...?

Agreed. Overly conservative and STILL failing to burn clock? Ridiculous. Thank goodness our defense has held so far...

bbosbbos
11-09-2013, 06:54 PM
DL is tired. We need something from offense.

grossbus
11-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Unbelievable.

davekay1971
11-09-2013, 06:56 PM
State receiver got away with two clear fouls on that play. But we let them stay in striking distance...

El_Diablo
Well, hopefully our defense can force a turnover after our upcoming three and out! :)

EDIT: Nevermind...showing some signs of life!

75Crazie
It had to happen, giving them too many chances.

How in the world did our offense get so bad so fast?

duke09hms
Contrary to what everyone in the Duke program said, guess we didn't come down from the VT win yet.

If we don't turn this around now ... Hello Military Bowl.

davekay1971
11-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Contrary to what everyone in the Duke program said, guess we didn't come down from the VT win yet.

Hello Military Bowl.

No need to give up when our team is still fighting. And no need to act like any bowl is disappointing.

hudlow
11-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Heckuva straightarm on that last State TD....

grossbus
11-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Need a TD, please

davekay1971
11-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Heckuva straightarm on that last State TD....

To the facemask, right in front of the ref.

bbosbbos
11-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Proud of Connette. Very brave.

duke09hms
Thank you Brandon Connette!

ChrisP
Great, GREAT run by Connette for the TD! I thought he was going to get stuffed for sure. How did he do that??? :D

grossbus
11-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Thought he had blown it when he came to a dead stop on the cut back.

ChrisP
11-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Of course, that poor clock management earlier looks potentially problematic now...

davekay1971
11-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Connette is playing with so much more confidence than Boone. Great drive.

bbosbbos
11-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Go go go, defense

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Cmon defense, yallve done great all game, just one more stand.

75Crazie
11-09-2013, 07:04 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChrisP
11-09-2013, 07:05 PM
I was seriously about to type "A pick 6 would be lovely here" and...it happened. Spooky?!? :D :D

davekay1971
WOW!!!!!!!

One of the best defensive plays I've seen in a long time!

duke09hms
PICK SIX!

Devon Edwards, star in the making. Really saved our offense.

Defense gets game ball.

grossbus
11-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Wow. Just wow!

bbosbbos
11-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Omg omg

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 07:07 PM
For the next few years, our secondary is in GOOD HANDS.

ChrisP
11-09-2013, 07:09 PM

Agreed. And wow, I did not see this defense earlier in the year so major kudos to those guys for fighting and getting better and better. I am getting a little worried about our offense though these past 2 games. We simply cannot keep turning it over like we've been doing and expect to have a chance to win. In any case, I'm happy tonight.

ChrisP
11-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Devon Edwards for President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loran16
If we did a man of the match thread for football, it'd better be unanimously DeVon Edwards today.

Dr. Rosenrosen
One. Man. Show!!!!!!!!!

duke09hms
HOLY @(#*&)(@#*%&)@(%_@

WOW, Devon Edwards with 3 TDs! LEGGOOOOOOO

75Crazie
11-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Second this!

I gotta say, though, next week I want our real offense back.

grossbus
Game ball? They should give him the bell!

duke09hms
Love how he pursued that endzone RELENTLESSLY

dayummmmmmmm, love that attitude.

bbosbbos
11-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Hear you, hear you

HOLY @(#*&)(@#*%&)@(%_@

WOW, Devon Edwards with 3 TDs! LEGGOOOOOOO

davekay1971
11-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Umm...is Devon Edwards the best open field runner on our team? Can he play both ways? And keep returning kicks? Wow again.

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 07:13 PM
What was that, like 3 TDs in a minute. Can't believe we're going to be 7-2.

Paging the Duke offense, paging the Duke offense. You're needed next week.

davekay1971
11-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Hmmph. Edwards would have run it back for a TD.

duke09hms
11-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Can we call the PICK-12 the DEVON?

75Crazie
11-09-2013, 07:17 PM
In spite of the problems on offense, I think the key to this game (besides the above-and-beyond defensive play) was Connette stepping up and leading that one drive after State took the lead for the last time. That put the pressure back on the State offense, which just couldn't handle it.

wsb3
11-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Bob Harris super excited over back to back interception returns for a touchdown. Wow 7 wins.

Dukehky
11-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Go Duke. That is all.