PDA

View Full Version : WRAL investigating former state FB player

Newton_14
11-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Edit: I originally posted the below post in the NC State/UNC FB game thread before this thread was created. OlyFan had a really great response to my post in that thread so I decided to move both posts to this new thread, mainly so everyone could see OLY's post. Thanks

Fedora must not have watched the Frontline episode on concussions.

A couple of interesting items from the WRAL news coverage I saw. I missed the game due to being at the Duke/Drury basketball game. Watched the WRAL news after the Florida/Georgia game, and apparently the UNC players ran to the midfield logo after the game and, uh, "celebrated" a bit. The State players took great offense to that and had several interesting comments in their post game interviews. One player compared it to Terrell Owens spiking running to midfield and spiking the ball after a TD he scored against the Cowboys when playing for San FranciscoSeveral referenced how low class things have become over at the Dump on the Hump, and one kid stated "Well it just shows a lack of class. Coach Doren would never allow us to do something that disrespectful no matter what. At the end of the day, what that is, is a direct reflection of their Head Coach and his coaching staff. That's just the bottom line". Note that none of the State kids made excuses. They accepted and fully admitted they got outplayed, but were just very outspoken about the lack of class and sportsmanship from their rivals. I found that very interesting personally.

The other thing I learned from watching the WRAL News tonight, and this probably deserves its own thread, but the power of the UNC "reach" in this state has reared its head again. For whatever reason, WRAL has assembled an "Investigative Team" of reporters to "investigate NC State Athletes". Seriously. They are running a special on it. In the advertising of it, they throw out buzzwords like "we found links to luxury vehicle", "a former player, now booster" with "ties to athlete's such as CJ Leslie", and then they show a video of the player/booster and dude is wearing a UNC hat. I did not catch his name but I believe it is the former football player who was banned by NC State from being on campus, attending any games, etc for like 10 years. I do know State recently took another measure by issuing a No Trespassing thingie to both the guy and his wife. But whatever.

Just seems very strange that they would take it upon themselves to start an official investigation of State athlete's, especially with all the crapola that has been going on in Chapel Hill for 3 years and counting. The NCAA dealt with the CJ Leslie thing, making him pay something like $400 back and sit out two games last season. As far as I know there is no current NCAA investigation going on at State, but if the NCAA does start one without starting another one at UNC it will be downright comical.

Olympic Fan
11-03-2013, 12:47 AM
The other thing I learned from watching the WRAL News tonight, and this probably deserves its own thread, but the power of the UNC "reach" in this state has reared its head again. For whatever reason, WRAL has assembled an "Investigative Team" of reporters to "investigate NC State Athletes". Seriously. They are running a special on it. In the advertising of it, they throw out buzzwords like "we found links to luxury vehicle", "a former player, now booster" with "ties to athlete's such as CJ Leslie", and then they show a video of the player/booster and dude is wearing a UNC hat. I did not catch his name but I believe it is the former football player who was banned by NC State from being on campus, attending any games, etc for like 10 years. I do know State recently took another measure by issuing a No Trespassing thingie to both the guy and his wife. But whatever.

Just seems very strange that they would take it upon themselves to start an official investigation of State athlete's, especially with all the crapola that has been going on in Chapel Hill for 3 years and counting. The NCAA dealt with the CJ Leslie thing, making him pay something like $400 back and sit out two games last season. As far as I know there is no current NCAA investigation going on at State, but if the NCAA does start one without starting another one at UNC it will be downright comical.

I agree that WRAL's bias is astounding.

Here's what happened. A little over a year ago, CJ Leslie's car was in the shop and former NC State football player CJ Leak loaned him his vehicle. Leslie drove it for three days.

NC State's administration discovered what was going on -- not the news media, not the NCAA, not the web site of an opposing school. State did exactly what a school is supposed to do in that situation -- they immediately suspended Leslie for two games and ordered him to pay back $400 -- the estimated value of the use of the car. They then submitted the information and the punishment to the NCAA for review (the NCAA can approve the punishment, increase it or decrease it upon review). NC State also sent an immediate letter of disassociation to Leak.

Later, when NC State learned that a vehicle registered to Leak's wife had picked up two parking tickets on campus, State sent the Leaks a non-trespass order.

Contrast that with UNC's dilatory action in the PJ Hairston, Leslie McDonald case ... has Fats Hayden been sent a letter of disassociation? Have the dentists who provided benefits to McDonald gotten their letter? What's been done about the multitude of parking tickets that Hayden's cars have picked up on UNC's campus in the last four months?

Yet, WRAL is going to investigate NC State.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-03-2013, 02:32 PM
http://www.wral.com/wral-investigates-former-nc-state-football-player-booster/13064627/

Cullen Browder is (surprise!) a tar heel.

Amazed they have spent so much time and effort digging in here and yet no outrage about Fats, et al. If they wanted to do a real story, it wouldn't be an accusatory piece against the pack but instead an examination of the problem of boosters with plenty of reference to the Dump. Boy, WRAL, wonder if they're getting some extra push from UNC behind the scenes on this one.

FerryFor50
11-03-2013, 02:54 PM
http://www.wral.com/wral-investigates-former-nc-state-football-player-booster/13064627/

Amazed they have spent so much time and effort digging in here and yet no outrage about Fats, et al. If they wanted to do a real story, it wouldn't be an accusatory piece against the pack but instead an examination of the problem of boosters with plenty of reference to the Dump. Boy, WRAL, wonder if they're getting some extra push from UNC behind the scenes on this one.

What's even funnier is that WRAL is headquartered ACROSS THE STREET from NCSU. You'd think they'd be on better terms...

davekay1971
11-03-2013, 03:53 PM
What's even funnier is that WRAL is headquartered ACROSS THE STREET from NCSU. You'd think they'd be on better terms...

Take a bunch of Tarheel Journo school grads and put them in close proximity with State, you're more likely to fan the hate rather than quell it. Imagine how nauseous a bunch of Dukies would be if you made them work in an office on Franklin Street!

This penny-ante lets-find-some-dirt-on-State story is right in line with Tarheel mentality. Their program has been shown, to anyone paying attention and not swimming in the powder blue Kool-aid, to be one of the dirtiest of the last 20 years. Their apologists are desperate to find some dirt on State and Duke, and State is probably number one on the hit list since the Wolfies were so instrumental in making sure the Carolina story didn't die the quiet death the Tarheels wanted it to.

To have a local broadcast station actively engaging in this kind of Carolina homerism helps explain the Wolfpack bunker mentality we all marvel at.

(egg on my face if this story ends up unearthing any kind of widespread cheating in Raleigh...but I bet we end up hearing much ado about very little)

Potato Head
11-03-2013, 07:10 PM

Well, if anyone would know the intricacies of inappropriate booster/student athlete relations it would be a UNC grad.

brevity
11-03-2013, 07:33 PM
What's even funnier is that WRAL is headquartered ACROSS THE STREET from NCSU.

Makes sense to me. After all, WRAL can't easily investigate Cleveland State; they're almost 600 miles away.