PDA

View Full Version : Jim Knowles named national defensive coach of the week

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-01-2013, 11:51 AM
The football program continues to earn national honors this week. Jim Knowles, defensive coordinator, has been named national defensive coach of the week.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/south-carolinas-shaw-earns-athlon-sports-player-week-honors

Bob Green
11-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Congratulations to Coach Knowles! Building off of the season's successes in order to win in November is the next step.

roywhite
11-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Congratulations to Coach Knowles! Building off of the season's successes in order to win in November is the next step.

Bob (or others), you watch these games closely:

What is the difference between the defense we saw in the 2nd half at Charlottesville and also in Blacksburg and the defense that gave up so many yards and points to Pitt and Ga Tech?

loran16
11-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Bob (or others), you watch these games closely:

What is the difference between the defense we saw in the 2nd half at Charlottesville and also in Blacksburg and the defense that gave up so many yards and points to Pitt and Ga Tech?

Well for Pitt it was notable that Pitt's yardage also declined in the 2nd half.

Our D does two things well:
1. It plays better after halftime.
2. It handles conservative traditional offenses (particularly rushing) well.

The latter is why GT was a big problem, and why Navy ceased to be a threat once we took a big lead early in the 3rd - forced to pass and play a traditional offense, Navy could not pose a threat. In addition, Navy's triple option was a standard form - we had some issues with the pitch, but they were never truly radical.

Both Pitt and GT threw radical concepts at us: both designed multiple plays from the "diamond formation," which we couldn't handle at all (Navy ran one play out of it, gained 6 yards, and never used it again). Pitt also had two star receivers, and well...our DBs are really only equipped to handle 1 (with Cockrell). In the 2nd half against Pitt, pitt became conservative and traditional, allowing us to comeback. GT didn't bother.

Bob Green
11-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Pitt and GT have big receivers who gave our secondary fits. Devin Street is 6'4", DeAndre Smelter is 6'3" and Tyler Boyd is 6'2". As far as the better performance in the 2nd half goes, we successfully pressured David Watford (Virginia) in the 2nd half, which definitely helped but I can't say the same about Logan Thomas. I really believe it comes down to successful adjustments by the coaching staff, solid depth and well conditioned athletes. As far as what the specific adjustments are, I really can't say. When I watch the games, I am guilty of watching the ball so unless something obvious happens such as Corbin McCarthy successfully executing a safety blitz for an 11 yard sack, I'm pretty oblivious to what scheme the defense is executing.

EDIT: Two more things: 1) Linebacker play was a major question mark headed into the season; however, it has proven to be a team strength. 2) The secondary is full of freshmen contributors who were better adjusted to the college game against UVa and VT as compared to GT and Pitt.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Pitt and GT have big receivers who gave our secondary fits. Devin Street is 6'4", DeAndre Smelter is 6'3" and Tyler Boyd is 6'2". As far as the better performance in the 2nd half goes, we successfully pressured David Watford (Virginia) in the 2nd half, which definitely helped but I can't say the same about Logan Thomas. I really believe it comes down to successful adjustments by the coaching staff, solid depth and well conditioned athletes. As far as what the specific adjustments are, I really can't say. When I watch the games, I am guilty of watching the ball so unless something obvious happens such as Corbin McCarthy successfully executing a safety blitz for an 11 yard sack, I'm pretty oblivious to what scheme the defense is executing.

EDIT: Two more things: 1) Linebacker play was a major question mark headed into the season; however, it has proven to be a team strength. 2) The secondary is full of freshmen contributors who were better adjusted to the college game against UVa and VT as compared to GT and Pitt.

And don't underestimate improved or good health of key players.

loran16
11-01-2013, 04:53 PM
And don't underestimate improved or good health of key players.

To be fair, we've had key d players miss big parts of games this year and still have done fine - Cockrell was out the entire 2nd half vs VaTech, for instance.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-01-2013, 05:56 PM
To be fair, we've had key d players miss big parts of games this year and still have done fine - Cockrell was out the entire 2nd half vs VaTech, for instance.
Please understand that I'm taking a different view than one so literal. I was thinking of a comparison of this year and last year. I was also thinking of the fact that we've had limited injuries which took defensive players out for the season.

nyesq83
11-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks to Ross Cockrell's leadership, and their innate talent.

And I agree the linebackers are vastly improved, and I would also give thanks specifically to Mr. Cash and his attitude.

And congrats to Coach Knowles, who is doing a fantastic job, and I hope he stays a while longer.

weezie
11-01-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm still in the happy/thrilled stage of this season's success so far. Far better minds have a much more serious grasp on the intricacies of football (I'm looking at you DitBD) than I ever will but is this just one heck of a blast or what?! :D

And you other fellows who commented above, just keep plugging away and maybe, you, too, will be in DitBD's league!

(OK, I'm teasing, OK?!) ;)