PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Goodman (ESPN) tweeted this about Matt Jones

dyedwab
10-30-2013, 11:16 AM
@GoodmanEspn. "The word coming out of the Duke camp from several people is that freshman Matt Jones is the team's top perimeter defender -- over Sulaimon."

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/395566971322109952

This is interesting, and, assuming its true, definitely changes the way I had been thinking about the team's early evolution this year.

Dev11
10-30-2013, 11:22 AM
@GoodmanEspn. "The word coming out of the Duke camp from several people is that freshman Matt Jones is the team's top perimeter defender -- over Sulaimon."

This is interesting, and, assuming its true, definitely changes the way I had been thinking about the team's early evolution this year.

I think Jeff Goodman is just trolling DBR. Minutes, defense first, replacing returning starter with a freshman? Crank up the "Start Matt" train now and get it over with.

CDu
10-30-2013, 11:29 AM

That is certainly consistent with what I have seen in the 3 times we have seen him this year.

BD80
10-30-2013, 11:51 AM

Even if "best" or "better than Sheed" is hyperbole, there must be some truth to the suggestion that Matt is a very good defender. That should ratchet up the competition for PT, AND improve our other perimeter players offensively by making them work in practice!

Wander
10-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Even if this turns out to be true and not just an overreaction, I doubt Rasheed would be the main guy who would lose minutes as a result.

CDu
10-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Even if this turns out to be true and not just an overreaction, I doubt Rasheed would be the main guy who would lose minutes as a result.

Yes, this is much more relevant with regard to one of the other discussions re: playing time (and as observed in the Bowie State game). Sulaimon will get his minutes, that's for sure.

FerryFor50
10-30-2013, 12:10 PM
I look at it as a positive... that means we have multiple lock down perimeter defenders!

BlueDevilBrowns
10-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Yes, this is much more relevant with regard to one of the other discussions re: playing time (and as observed in the Bowie State game). Sulaimon will get his minutes, that's for sure.

I look at it as a positive... that means we have multiple lock down perimeter defenders!

Agree with both comments.

Further, it confirms Coach K's earlier comments that while the frontcourt is pretty well "set", the backcourt rotation is still fluid. I would imagine, in November, we'll see games when 3 of the 4 backcourt guys(Cook, Sulaimon, Jones, and Dawkins) get the majority of the minutes while 1 gets less. The Odd Man Out could/would change from game-to-game depending on matchup, practice performance, and on-court production.

By January, I would guess, based on years of precedent, K would settle on 2 starters with 1 primary sub. This is all based upon the thought that Amile would lock-down the "5" spot with Jabari and Hood at the Forward positions.

johnb
10-30-2013, 12:28 PM
A great perimeter defender might have the most effect on interior minutes: Matt (and Quinn/Tyler) could help make it especially difficult for elite teams to take advantage on offense of a size advantage in the paint in a half court set. If that is true, then we could more easily shift a swing player (Sheed/Andre) into the front court. If Jabari and Rodney can adequately defend the small handful of teams that have elite 7 footers, it really opens up things on the offensive end (with Sheed/Andre playing alongside Matt/Quinn/Tyler, et al, in a 3 guard set). On the other hand, Amile is apparently one of the most improved players on the team, and he was good last year. And Marshall seems ready to play at a high level. And both Josh and Alex also seem ready to roll.

Anyway, Matt's defense is a bit of a surprise, since everything I'd read about him in high school related to his shooting, especially his ability to both slash and to catch and shoot from long distance. Comparisons are premature, but if Semi is being compared to Corey, Jabari to Grant, then it's pleasantly surprising that Matt is no longer a "young Ray Allen" (espn) but could potentially develop into a Billy King with a jump shot. Now wouldn't that be nice...

Kedsy
10-30-2013, 12:34 PM
I would imagine, in November, we'll see games when 3 of the 4 backcourt guys(Cook, Sulaimon, Jones, and Dawkins) get the majority of the minutes while 1 gets less. The Odd Man Out could/would change from game-to-game depending on matchup, practice performance, and on-court production.

Don't forget Tyler Thornton. Also, if Matt is that good and Andre is still valuable (which I completely think he is) then it's possible we could see the five backcourt guys taking minutes from the third big (Josh/Semi/Marshall/Alex), meaning we could play small (Jabari/Rodney/wing/wing/point) during much of the 15 or so minutes Amile is resting.

EDIT: JohnB beat me to the punch.

MChambers
10-30-2013, 12:39 PM
could potentially develop into a Billy King with a jump shot. Now wouldn't that be nice...

I think my head is going to explode trying to hold that thought.

Kedsy
10-30-2013, 12:39 PM

Another cool thing is I have now heard four different players (Rasheed, Matt, Tyler, Rodney) called our best defender, and both Quinn and Jabari have looked great so far on defense as well. It's refreshing to have that kind of D after the so-so (for Duke) defense of the past few years.

Cameron
10-30-2013, 12:40 PM

Exactly. No matter how one views the situation, or what their opinions are re Matt or Rasheed or Andre's playing time, it's a positive thing that Matt Jones is apparently starting off his college career on the right foot. It's a welcoming thought. Dude's a player and he will demonstrate that this season.

UrinalCake
10-30-2013, 12:47 PM
I wonder if we could see Sheed playing the point for stretches while Quinn is out. A backcourt of Sheed and Jones, with Rodney at the 3, could be a nightmare for opposing guards. And we have multiple guys who can bring the ball up the court, so I'm not worried about that.

BlueDevilBrowns
10-30-2013, 12:51 PM
A great perimeter defender might have the most effect on interior minutes: Matt (and Quinn/Tyler) could help make it especially difficult for elite teams to take advantage on offense of a size advantage in the paint in a half court set. If that is true, then we could more easily shift a swing player (Sheed/Andre) into the front court. If Jabari and Rodney can adequately defend the small handful of teams that have elite 7 footers, it really opens up things on the offensive end (with Sheed/Andre playing alongside Matt/Quinn/Tyler, et al, in a 3 guard set). On the other hand, Amile is apparently one of the most improved players on the team, and he was good last year. And Marshall seems ready to play at a high level. And both Josh and Alex also seem ready to roll.

Don't forget Tyler Thornton. Also, if Matt is that good and Andre is still valuable (which I completely think he is) then it's possible we could see the five backcourt guys taking minutes from the third big (Josh/Semi/Marshall/Alex), meaning we could play small (Jabari/Rodney/wing/wing/point) during much of the 15 or so minutes Amile is resting.

EDIT: JohnB beat me to the punch.

Yes, it's true that 7-footers are few and far-between these days. However, what about the large bodied, 6'7" bruisers of the world that have given us the most issues in the past(see Miami/FSU/VTech)? Those types are much more common. Hood, while long, isn't "wide" at all.

Teams will quickly realize that it's almost impossible to match our skill, so I foresee teams playing more "physical" against us(to use the NBA, think Indiana vs. Miami), requiring more frontcourt depth as opposed to backcourt.

To Kedsy's point, "small ball" may work in spurts, especially if we're down and need instant offense, but I don't see it as a long-term option.

And, you're right, I did forget about TT, my bad :o

CDu
10-30-2013, 01:04 PM
To Kedsy's point, "small ball" may work in spurts, especially if we're down and need instant offense, but I don't see it as a long-term option.

I can imagine the collective DBR heads exploding with angst if we still go to a small ball lineup with a team full of guys 6'7" and taller...

That said, I certainly do expect to see a three-guard, Hood-at-PF lineup from time to time.

devildeac
10-30-2013, 01:08 PM
I wish I could find the quote now but 2-3 weeks ago, K was asked about defense and Matt Jones and his reply was something on the order of "he gets it." Just can't remember the source/context/occasion for that.

I just found one from Duke Blue Planet:

On the effort of the freshman:
“They all bring different things. Jabari [Parker] is a special player and the more he plays the better he is going to be. He is still learning. He has a huge upside even though he is really good right now. And he knows that. Matt [Jones] is such an easy kid to play with. He was coached by a great high school coach that taught defense. You can see that. His onball defense is outstanding, it kind of sparked us. He is a gamer, he’s a tough kid. He is just a good player. Semi [Ojeleye], he is a tough player. He’s an outstanding athlete; he’s going to keep learning how to develop that athletic ability. None of them were nervous I don’t think. They played really well.”

I thought there was an earlier quote from K, too, but I may be mis-remembering that one:o.

dyedwab
10-30-2013, 01:09 PM
My reason for being intrigued by this is that I had thought of Matt as a guy who wasn't gonna get a lot of run this year, but would be a bigger components of the team in the next couple of years (think Ryan Kelly). But if he's as good a a perimeter defender as this would indicate, he'll play more earlier than I expected...

WillJ
10-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Matt Jones impressed me against Bowie State. Sad to say, as I really like the kid, but I don't think Andre Dawkins is going to play very much because he's not ahead enough on offense to make up for his defense.

tommy
10-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Exactly. No matter how one views the situation, or what their opinions are re Matt or Rasheed or Andre's playing time, it's a positive thing that Matt Jones is apparently starting off his college career on the right foot.

We don't talk like that around here, for fear it'll end up in a walking boot. :)

magjayran
10-30-2013, 07:41 PM
I think my head is going to explode trying to hold that thought.

Yeah me too

OldPhiKap
10-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Is that like saying someone is like Robert Brickey with a sweet free throw form?

oldnavy
10-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Another cool thing is I have now heard four different players (Rasheed, Matt, Tyler, Rodney) called our best defender, and both Quinn and Jabari have looked great so far on defense as well. It's refreshing to have that kind of D after the so-so (for Duke) defense of the past few years.

I seem to remember Quinn giving TT (who protects the ball very well) a fit in the BW game. If Quinn can up his on the ball pressure, we may have the makings of a very special team. Pressure defense leads to turnovers leads to Hood, Rasheed, Cook, Parker, Semi, Murphy, etc... in the open court.... WOW! Can't wait.

jv001
10-31-2013, 04:31 PM
I seem to remember Quinn giving TT (who protects the ball very well) a fit in the BW game. If Quinn can up his on the ball pressure, we may have the makings of a very special team. Pressure defense leads to turnovers leads to Hood, Rasheed, Cook, Parker, Semi, Murphy, etc... in the open court.... WOW! Can't wait.

Your post has me dreaming of lot's of run outs for slams. Maybe to an 85-90 points per game season. A fan can dream can't they?

Kedsy
10-31-2013, 05:49 PM
Your post has me dreaming of lot's of run outs for slams. Maybe to an 85-90 points per game season. A fan can dream can't they?

Call it dreaming if you want, but I think your scenario is pretty reasonable for this team.

vick
10-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Call it dreaming if you want, but I think your scenario is pretty reasonable for this team.

Man I hope. The national lead last year was 80.4, so if anyone is in the 90 range (and isn't playing a Loyola/Grinnell style gimmick), I feel like it's pretty likely the officials have managed to clean up the game

Kedsy
11-01-2013, 12:51 AM
Man I hope. The national lead last year was 80.4, so if anyone is in the 90 range (and isn't playing a Loyola/Grinnell style gimmick), I feel like it's pretty likely the officials have managed to clean up the game

Duke scored between 88 and 92 ppg four seasons in a row in the late 90s, early 00s:

1998-99: 91.8 ppg
1999-2000: 88.0 ppg
2000-01: 90.7 ppg
2001-02: 88.9 ppg

I expect we may play a pace similar to those teams, and if we do it stands to reason we have a decent chance of scoring in the 90 range.

Either way, we'll know soon enough.

MChambers
11-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Duke scored between 88 and 92 ppg four seasons in a row in the late 90s, early 00s:

1998-99: 91.8 ppg
1999-2000: 88.0 ppg
2000-01: 90.7 ppg
2001-02: 88.9 ppg

I expect we may play a pace similar to those teams, and if we do it stands to reason we have a decent chance of scoring in the 90 range.

Either way, we'll know soon enough.
If the officials are really going to crack down on defensive fouls, as the first exhibition suggests, then scores should be up across the board.

JBDuke
11-01-2013, 07:41 AM
If the officials are really going to crack down on defensive fouls, as the first exhibition suggests, then scores should be up across the board.

We'll see about that. First, they may "emphasize" things for the first month or so and then revert to something closer to the norm. Wouldn't be the first time, and the inconsistency would muck with team productivity. Second, if teams don't adapt quickly to the new officiating, then we may see games with extra stoppages, which can interrupt the flow of a game and impair offensive production as well.

jv001
11-01-2013, 07:44 AM

And college basketball with look like college basketball and not look like a college football game. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
11-01-2013, 08:46 AM

I hope they do, and I hope the players and coaches adjust quickly, because I am not eager to watch three-hour basketball games.

sagegrouse

devildeac
11-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I hope they do, and I hope the players and coaches adjust quickly, because I am not eager to watch three-hour basketball games.

sagegrouse

Hey sage, let's be reasonable. The exhibition was "only" 2 hours and 20 minutes last Saturday:rolleyes:.

MChambers
11-01-2013, 11:45 AM

sagegrouse
I'm also not eager to watch a wrestling match, so I like the new emphasis.

gep
11-01-2013, 02:55 PM
I hope they do, and I hope the players and coaches adjust quickly, because I am not eager to watch three-hour basketball games.sagegrouse

Hey sage, let's be reasonable. The exhibition was "only" 2 hours and 20 minutes last Saturday:rolleyes:.

Not only that... imagine what would happen to the 2-hour time slots for games on ESPN, etc. Miss the entire first half if they stay on the earlier game, miss the entire second half if they switch to the current game. :confused:

JasonEvans
11-02-2013, 12:22 PM
All I want to know is if we can measure defense with cinder blocks.

How else are we going to determine the best defender?

--Jason "http://harv-higam1.homestead.com/cinder-blocks-texture.jpg" Evans

BD80
11-02-2013, 05:16 PM
All I want to know is if we can measure defense with cinder blocks.

How else are we going to determine the best defender?

--Jason Evans

Not to brag, but I used to play defense much like a cinder block.

I also remember when Eric Snow treated Chris Collins like a pylon. Chris thought he had a charge and flopped even though Snow was able to completely avoid him, giving the impression that Snow went by Chris so fast that it blew him over.