PDA

View Full Version : Barry Jacobs "short name" piece

Nacho
10-28-2013, 11:06 AM
I love Barry Jacobs, but I have to call a foul on his comparison of Ko to another Hawaiian hoopster.
maybe I am being too literal, but that lefty (referring to his dominant shooting hand, of course) Barry Obama, would have played his undergrad hoops at Columbia by way of Occidental. He did not go to Harvard until he was a 26 yr old grad student, where perhaps he tore it up in the intramural leagues.

hurleyfor3
10-28-2013, 11:15 AM
His statement that Obama was "a left-handed forward who went on to bigger things once he graduated Harvard, where he did not play on the varsity" is still true.

The all-time Pittsburgh sports figure with the shortest name would have to be Ed Ott, catcher for the '79 Pirates. The Steelers had Jack Ham, of course. The Penguins had Syl Apps (junior).

Once stylistic concern is that Jacobs used "PU" for Pitt. I've never seen this used to denote Pitt anywhere else. It's either "Pitt" or UP (in acronyms such as UPMC).

tommy
10-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I think Ed Ott wins the gold trophy for shortest combined first/last name in sports history, although Mel Ott is not far behind.

As far as Obama goes, I see him not as a forward at all, but rather a kind of skinny, crafty lefthanded 2-guard, one who by his own admission was not bashful with his shot. Maybe like a Manu Ginobili-type???

BDevilU
10-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Jacobs missed at least one "three letter" player:

William "Bill" Suk, Duke, 1973-1975

BDevilU
10-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I think Ed Ott wins the gold trophy for shortest combined first/last name in sports history, although Mel Ott is not far behind.

As far as Obama goes, I see him not as a forward at all, but rather a kind of skinny, crafty lefthanded 2-guard, one who by his own admission was not bashful with his shot. Maybe like a Manu Ginobili-type???

Li Na, who lost to Serena Williams yesterday in the WTA Championship final.

flyingdutchdevil
10-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Li Na, who lost to Serena Williams yesterday in the WTA Championship final.

Li Na also won the 2011 Australian Open, but who's counting...

tommy
10-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Even though the last name is nothing special, I do think special acknowledgement should go to the UNLV hoops player from I think it was the '90's named H Waldren. Could've been Walgren or Walden, but definitely the first name was just H. Awesome.

-jk
10-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Jacobs missed at least one "three letter" player:

William "Bill" Suk, Duke, 1973-1975

Um, could be early onset, but I remember him as "Billy", never "Bill".

(And if you're out there, Billy, we still have your instrument.)

-jk

BDevilU
10-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Um, could be early onset, but I remember him as "Billy", never "Bill".

(And if you're out there, Billy, we still have your instrument.)

-jk

Be that as it may, his official stat page in the GoDuke database says "Bill Suk".

In any case, Jacobs missed him... or maybe not. The article claims "28, to be exact" with such short names yet the list below does not contain 28 names.