Game ball to the defense as a unit.

mr. synellinden
10-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Closing words from Steve Levy on ESPNU:

"DUKE FOOTBALL HAS ARRIVED, FOLKS."

Damn straight.

75Crazie
10-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I'd sort of like to know, with Boone having such a sub-par game, why Connette didn't get more action. But ... at the moment I don't care.

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Hell done froze over dangit!

NYBri
10-26-2013, 07:01 PM
WOW! What a win! And to have the big three doing their visit this weekend! Campus will be rockin' tonight!

DBFAN
10-26-2013, 07:02 PM
YESSIR!!

I'm so excited---( with the voice of Mike Myers in cat in the hat)

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 07:03 PM
LET'S GO DUKE FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

DEFENSE STANDING STRONG!!!

Our signature win! WOW!! WOWOWOWOWOWOW how did this happen!

wilson
10-26-2013, 07:03 PM
Did anyone else cry? That's the second straight season the Duke football team has made me do that.
I honestly never thought I'd actually see our Devils win a game like this. And the crazy thing is that there were so many elements of our game that weren't clicking today. We've got us a good football program, folks...not just this team, or a game or two, or some of our players. Our whole program is legit now. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Coach Cut.

MulletMan
10-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Woooooooooooooo! Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaa!

:D;):D;)

And might I add, hell yeah!

burnspbesq
10-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Why can't we go 10-2?

killerleft
10-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Defense! Defense! Defense! Beautiful ugly win. Thanks, Mr. Connette! That was fine! On to the next signature win!

Duvall
Why can't we go 10-2?

Why not 12-2? Oh, FSU. Right.

Still, 10-2?

Dukehky
I remember when I said we wouldn't win this game. I was wrong. May as well win out the rest of the season now I guess.

Incredible, absolutely incredible. Good teams win games when they don't play well. With the help of Logan Thomas getting confused as to which jersey color he was wearing, arguably the biggest win of the last 50 years.

I'm just so happy. Kind of in shock too.

MulletMan
Did anyone else cry? That's the second straight season the Duke football team has made me do that.
I honestly never thought I'd actually see our Devils win a game like this. And the crazy thing is that there were so many elements of our game that weren't clicking today. We've got us a good football program, folks...not just this team, or a game or two, or some of our players. Our whole program is legit now. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Coach Cut.

I am close, and here's why...because for a 10 minute stretch, we became old Duke football. But the players said, "No. Not this time. We are not that team. We are DUKE!"

And then they won the game.

duke09hms
I CONNETTE believe this is happening!!

rthomas
10-26-2013, 07:08 PM
I feel the need to burn my couch. I am West Virginian after all.

tieguy
10-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Why can't we go 10-2?
Given how Miami played today, that's not completely totally crazy. (Which is amazing to say.) Of course, given how our O played today, we could also go 6-6 ;) Still- amazing! Cut has to lead for ACC COY again, right?

~tieguy

Skitzle
10-26-2013, 07:09 PM
I think the best way to describe how I'm feeling is this:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else feel the same way?

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 07:10 PM

Still feeling verklempt...:o

Newton_14
10-26-2013, 07:11 PM

What Wilson said!. Signature win. Huge win. The man came to build a winning culture, a winning program, and compete for championships.. He is on his way.

A great day for Duke Football. Beat the 14th ranked team in the country on their field. This aint yo daddy's Duke!!!!

-bdbd
10-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Closing words from Steve Levy on ESPNU:

"DUKE FOOTBALL HAS ARRIVED, FOLKS."

Damn straight.

Just WOW! This is a game that will be remembered in Duke lore for a very long time. Duke football has arrived indeed. And not by sneaking in the back door. That was the front door you just heard come crashing down.

The defense was just awesome tonight. Yes, VPI made some mistakes, but we had a lot to do with creating them too. And while 4 interceptions isn't "mistake-free," we managed to not make any FATAL errors. While Duke teams of the past would have found a way to lose this one in the end, this team really appears to believe. God bless them!!!

OldSchool
10-26-2013, 07:12 PM
If (1) Duke wins out, (2) Miami loses to FSU, (3) GT loses at Clemson and (4) VT loses at least one of @BC, @Miami, MD or @VA, does Duke play in the ACC Championship game?

While the future is not entirely in Duke's control, if Duke did manage to win out the chances of the other teams getting the needed loss are not unreasonable at all.

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Enjoy, but remain unsatisfied~we want and deserve more!

MattC09
10-26-2013, 07:14 PM
That defensive display was amazing. The turnaround under Cutcliffe is obvious. We went from being legally the worst football team in the FBS to back-to-back bowls. Every game left on the schedule is winnable given Miami's performances recently. Imagine if Boone hadn't been hurt for GT and Pitt.

Where does the statue of Cutcliffe go? He's the Joshua of Duke Football.

Duvall
10-26-2013, 07:15 PM
If (1) Duke wins out, (2) Miami loses to FSU, (3) GT loses at Clemson and (4) VT loses at least one of @BC, @Miami, MD or @VA, does Duke play in the ACC Championship game?

While the future is not entirely in Duke's control, if Duke did manage to win out the chances of the other teams getting the needed loss are not unreasonable at all.

Yes. I think that results in a three-way tie, with Duke having head-to-head wins over VT and Miami.

Actually, I don't think we need the GT loss in tha scenario, just Duke winning out plus a Miami loss plus a VT loss.

Skitzle
On the day of the first duke basketball game of the season, this board will pretty much only be talking football.

That HAS to be a first!

-bdbd
Duke is 6-2 and playing very good football, beating a top-15 team on their field, huge comebacks, etc.

Don't be surprised to see Duke start getting votes for being ranked.

I need the bye to catch my breath. This program just has so much momentum right now... Incredible.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Enjoy, but remain unsatisfied~we want and deserve more!

Forget one game at a time! I'm willing to bet anyone here $100 we don't lose next week!

TruBlu
10-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Have been telling my son for years that we needed a signature win to get some national attention, and to help with recruiting.

This qualifies!

Now, a few more wins and a bowl victory will be wonderful!

GO DUKE!

OldSchool
10-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Yes. I think that results in a three-way tie, with Duke having head-to-head wins over VT and Miami.

Duke has:
State at home
Miami at home
@ Wake
@ NC

If Duke plays reasonably well, all of these games are winnable. It's not like we have to play @FSU which would require a perfect game and some breaks going our way.

Duke football, in the hunt in November!

4Gen
10-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Dear DUAA: Please advise where I can buy bowl tickets. Any date, any place. Sincerely, John (1974)

CDu
10-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Waiting for loran to tell us everything we did wrong. (Just kidding!)

That was awesome. So proud of the defense for hanging on when the offense wasn't clicking at all. So happy and so confused at the same time!

Devilnole
10-26-2013, 07:23 PM

Amen. So happy for Coach Cut and our boys. First win over ranked opponent since I was a soph in 71. Is that right?

4Gen
10-26-2013, 07:27 PM
'71 Soph? Me too. I remember a newspaper clipping posted at Mirecourt explaining why Duke couldnt beat USC. (I know. Newspapers. I'm old. You are too.)

Son of Mojo
10-26-2013, 07:28 PM
At the Captain's house as well as mine, this is how we're celebrating. Everybody strut!!! ;) Great win with things not going our way often in adverse conditions and hostile environment. Just think--this COULD be a one loss, ranked team. If some more wins get racked up this could really become a special season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRFFvT9MxME

burnspbesq
10-26-2013, 07:29 PM
When do we get to hang our Virginia state championship banner?

NYBri
10-26-2013, 07:30 PM
I think the best way to describe how I'm feeling is this:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else feel the same way?

Yup!

hudlow
10-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Many great plays from several different individuals today.

The Defense stood strong and rattled a very good offense.

But, Coach Cut holds this team together.

And I think he's hittin' his stride!!!

Go Duke!

Son of Jarhead
10-26-2013, 07:36 PM
... the team has EARNED that!

We also need this week off, got some key guys dinged today.

Way to go, Blue Devils!

gus
10-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Amen. So happy for Coach Cut and our boys. First win over ranked opponent since I was a soph in 71. Is that right?

No.

1994 against no. 13 Virginia. There was also a win over no. 7 Clemson in 1989

A win over Virginia Tech would validate Duke football's progress (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2013/10/25/5027270/looking-for-a-milestone-win)

DukieInKansas
10-26-2013, 07:41 PM
WOW! That was fun. A bit nerve wracking but fun, never the less.

Thank you to the whole team and staff!

burnspbesq
10-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Stats are ugly, with a capital UGH.

If all you had were the stats, and someone asked you to guess the score, you'd say Duke lost 24-3.

JBDuke
10-26-2013, 07:44 PM

First win on the road over a ranked opponent since 1971. Last win over a ranked opponent was UVA in Wallace Wade in 1994.

Newton_14
10-26-2013, 07:45 PM
... the team has EARNED that!

We also need this week off, got some key guys dinged today.

Way to go, Blue Devils!

Dang straight! People, clear your damn calendars, get some tickets (GoDuke has plenty) and get your tails to that State game and fill Wally Wade with Blue! Please! Native, handcuff every single student on campus and drag them in there if you have too!

COME TO THE GAME!!

Let's give our guys a true home field advantage against the Pack! This team can get to 7-2 with a win against State. Really wish Boone had been healthy all year. Might not have mattered against GaTech (but could have) but I absolutely believe we smoke PItt with Boone at QB. How sweet it would be to be 7-1 right now with only one conference loss.

Steve Logan pretty much called this one today on his radio show. He said "
I am telling you this Duke team is special, and they believe! Beware of a team that believes because they will not fear you. If I am a Vatech fan I am scared to death about this game. I was at the DUke practice on Tuesday, and they looked sharp and confident. I am telling you they can win this game today" end quote.

bbosbbos
10-26-2013, 07:48 PM
I do not know football well, but I am very happy today

OZZIE4DUKE
10-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Why can't we go 10-2?
You're the second person to say that tonight. I'm the other one, while walking out of the stadium! I told y'all we'd win today! We're going bowling!

killerleft
10-26-2013, 07:58 PM
'71 Soph? Me too. I remember a newspaper clipping posted at Mirecourt explaining why Duke couldnt beat USC. (I know. Newspapers. I'm old. You are too.)

I don't think we played them in '71, but Stanford went down that day! Ernie Jackson with the pick!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Kenny Anunike promised this win as part 2 of my birthday gift. Part 1 was delivered in Charlottesville last Saturday. Kenny keeps his promises;).

devildeac
10-26-2013, 08:02 PM
You put your tight end in.
You put your flanker out.
You put your QB in.
And you shake them all about.
You beat the Hokie-Pokies
And you turn them all around.
That's what it's all about.

Go Devils!

Originally sent to OPK as a PM.

Damn. I shoulda put a score with this post in the pre-game thread this AM.

burnspbesq
10-26-2013, 08:05 PM
You're the second person to say that tonight. I'm the other one, while walking out of the stadium! I told y'all we'd win today! We're going bowling!

Glad to see you made it out alive, Larry. Sixty thousand surly drunks is the definition of a hostile environment.

sagegrouse
10-26-2013, 08:09 PM
On the ESPN crawl... Only team to win this year with four interceptions.... Only team to win this year which was 0 for 11 on third down.

Sage Grouse answers:

1. If the other team has four interceptions, why should this be a surprise?

2. Who needs third downs when you are so good on fourth down?

I love this notoriety!

sagegrouse

devildeac
10-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Football School!!!

burnspbesq
10-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Pretty good weekend for Duke sports: so far, three wins over ranked teams (FB vs. VPISU, VB vs. FSU, FH vs. BC).

Here is a Turtle
10-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Thank you Duke. No I can believe that we can beat VT at home. Even though we got 26 injured players... Smh

Definitely should get votes this week.

Atldukie79
What Wilson said!. Signature win. Huge win. The man came to build a winning culture, a winning program, and compete for championships.. He is on his way.

A great day for Duke Football. Beat the 14th ranked team in the country on their field. This aint yo daddy's Duke!!!!

Actually, it is my daddy's Duke...he still tells me about the 1938 team!:D
Ok, this year's team isn't in that realm...but beating a ranked team
This is just a tremendous win.

Merlindevildog91
We did a 5K this morning in Yadkinville, NC, then drove to Durham for the basketball game (thanks, Ozzie!) Both of us walked out of Cameron like old people, stiff, sore, etc.

We made a couple of stops then drove home listening to the football game. I screamed so loudly out the window near the Greensboro tank farm the pipelines are probably still rattling.

When we passed the gym on the way home, I told my husband I could go in the gym and run a 5K on the treadmill with all the excess energy I had.

He told me no. Probably just as well, since I do have to get out of bed in the morning.

But it is a great day to be a Blue Devil.

devildeac
10-26-2013, 08:15 PM
When do we get to hang our Virginia state championship banner?

Anytime. It goes right next to last year's North Carolina state championship banner.

Oh, wait a minute. We haven't beaten Richmond yet...

:rolleyes:

devildeac
10-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Waiting for loran to tell us everything we did wrong. (Just kidding!)

That was awesome. So proud of the defense for hanging on when the offense wasn't clicking at all. So happy and so confused at the same time!

There is some irony in that. We did a lot of things wrong. However, in (many, many, many) years past, those mistakes would come back and bite us on the butt (and many other places, too). This year however, our much maligned defense played solid football and came up with a bunch of huge plays.

davekay1971
10-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Watched it till the end...and I remain speechless. Years of watching Duke football conditioned me to expect us to fall apart and lose, particularly at the moment of Boone's fourth interception. I'm glad I'm not on the team, because the young MEN in Duke Football uniforms clearly didn't have my doubts. They stood up...the defense, getting the ball back...the o-line and Connette, converting on fourth down...Boone, making his game sealing first down run...when I, and all the Hokies fans in Lane Stadium expected them to crumble under the pressure of Va Tech's team, their crowd, and Duke's own history. This team made their own history tonight, winning a physical, defensive struggle at a top 15 team's home stadium, to become bowl eligible for the second straight season, and doing it with four regular season games to play.

Go. Duke.

tieguy
10-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Weird feeling: qualifying for a bowl when it is way, way too early to have any idea what bowl we might go to.

devildeac
10-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Pre-game/in-game posts:

MBB: 79

FB: 212

Post-game posts (so far):

MBB: 7

FB: 62

Football school!!!!!

:rolleyes:;)

DukeHLM'13
10-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Can't think of a single other time that I'm glad I missed a basketball game to see a football game, but couldn't be happier tonight. That game was a ton of fun to be at and the duke crowd, while small, was giving it all they had tonight.

moonpie23
10-26-2013, 08:43 PM
what a great birthday present. BB team rages, FB team pulls off the huge upset.

thanks duke !!

devildeac
10-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Can't think of a single other time that I'm glad I missed a basketball game to see a football game, but couldn't be happier tonight. That game was a ton of fun to be at and the duke crowd, while small, was giving it all they had tonight.

Ozzie did the same thing. A man wise beyond his many years and not as dumb as I look:rolleyes:;) . I'll bet he got 100+ MPG riding back from Blacksburg today on that cloud he was driving:D.

devildeac
10-26-2013, 08:47 PM
The Thanksgiving ritual/tradition of the killing of large numbers of turkeys occurred about a month early this year:D.

SmartDevil
10-26-2013, 08:49 PM
No doubt at season's end the award will go to one of the coaches who finish very close to the top in the national rankings, but Coach Cut really is the Coach of the Year.

devildeac
10-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Extra chocolate syrup on the ice cream for dessert tonight along with an extra beer cooling in the 'fridge tonight.

PSurprise
10-26-2013, 08:58 PM
It's nice watching other football games when the Top 25 scroll at the bottom comes around to #14. It's nice to see Duke in yellow!

devildeac
10-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Almost unbelievable to realize we won today having been out-gained almost 2:1 (387 to 198), converting 0/11 third downs and time of possession almost 2:1 also (39:27 to 20:33).

Indoor66
10-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Extra chocolate syrup on the ice cream for dessert tonight along with an extra beer cooling in the 'fridge tonight.

You can't fool me. There is always an extra beer in the 'fridge! Tonight it will just taste better.

redick4pres
10-26-2013, 09:03 PM
what a great birthday present. BB team rages, FB team pulls off the huge upset.

thanks duke !!

I agree! My bday was Tuesday and this made my week! Go Duke!!!

pamtar
10-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Just saw on ESPN where Boone is No. 10 in total QBR nationally. Don't really know how thats possible but....awesome!

JBDuke
10-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Almost unbelievable to realize we won today having been out-gained almost 2:1 (387 to 198), converting 0/11 third downs and time of possession almost 2:1 also (39:27 to 20:33).

Oh, and not completing a pass in the second half!

devildeac
10-26-2013, 09:10 PM

Yea, that , too. Just like someone posted in this thread or in the pre/in-game thread that if you were shown the game stats, you'd likely guess that ours would predict/reflect about a 3 TD loss. Amazing.

CDu
10-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Just saw on ESPN where Boone is No. 10 in total QBR nationally. Don't really know how thats possible but....awesome!

That almost HAS to drop after today's clunker.

Today's game is yet another example of why people grade QBs on championships. One can be truly awful and still be the QB of a winning team.

The defense was just outstanding today. They battled through a rough game from our offense and wouldn't let us lose.

Also, gotta give TONS of credit to Martin nailing two 50+ yard field goals. How often do you see us beating Va Tech on special teams?!?!?

arnie
10-26-2013, 09:15 PM

One more win guarantees winning season - 1st since 1994. Obviously would end the longest non-winning season streak in Duke history.

jipops
10-26-2013, 09:15 PM

Which also means our All-ACC Crowder didn't even touch the ball, and Cockrell was in on only 1 play on D... and we still won.

CLT Devil
10-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Coach Cut for President!!

When I met him a few years back on one of his publicity/goodwill/excitement-building tours around the state I remember thinking that "there's something different about this Coach, he seems like he could be a great fit at Duke" with the way he preaches a family-type atmosphere and nurturing all aspects of the game and program - he really wanted to build a program rather than try and build a winning football team. Now, he gets his signature win and is putting the program back to where it belongs at an institution where everything is built around excellence.

For me, being a Charlotte native and resident, other than my 4 years in Derm, the icing on the cake is that he's building the program with so many kids not only from NC but specifically from the greater Charlotte area. There's a ton of talent there, and every player we get is one that we keep from going to NC State, Chapel Hell, Wake and even ECU. Home-grown talent means that the players' families can come to all the home games, other players from the area still in HS can come watch their former teammates hypothetically Cut doesn't have to spend quite as much time on the road because the "Duke-quality" players (student athletes applies to Duke, IMHO, but not all schools as we've learned) who would have never considered Duke are now starting to at least consider us if not sign with us. It makes us stronger and our rivals weaker, plus there's nothing like a homegrown star. We're also getting more talent and that's evident when a starter goes down and the level of play of the backup isn't such a huge dropoff that we end up getting creamed, now we plug in the next man up and can have faith that he'll do his job well...this is what I consider one of the biggest differences between the recent Cut era and everything since Goldsmith's '94 season.

Go Devils - from a long-suffering fan who's faithfully been to game after game where we would have found a way to lose this game many times over I must say that it's the sweetest feeling when a long-term plan and change in culture starts to show dividends on the field, and I have complete trust in the man at the helm doing things 'the right way' and think he really gets it when representing Duke and trying to be excellent in all he does.

Cut for President!!!

ForkFondler
10-26-2013, 09:44 PM
On the ESPN crawl... Only team to win this year with four interceptions.... Only team to win this year which was 0 for 11 on third down.

Sage Grouse answers:

1. If the other team has four interceptions, why should this be a surprise?

2. Who needs third downs when you are so good on fourth down?

I love this notoriety!

sagegrouse

Re 1, somebody with four interceptions had to win that game. Might as well be us.

cspan37421
10-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Hiring David Cutcliffe is starting to look as wise as Tom Butters' extension of Coach K.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Re 1, somebody with four interceptions had to win that game. Might as well be us.

That would be correct.:cool:

towerview road
10-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Anyone know where I can watch the post-game presser online? (Cutcliffe)

Laura Keeley tweeted that he was so excited he stood the whole time!

arnie
10-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Hiring David Cutcliffe is starting to look as wise as Tom Butters' extension of Coach K.

Whoa-slow down. The K hiring and extension win that argument by a mile. I will say that the Cut hire was wiser than the Butch Davis hire.

CameronBlue
10-26-2013, 10:54 PM
I feel the need to burn my couch. I am West Virginian after all.

Don't worry you probably have a spare one on the porch.

Tom B.
10-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Game ball to the defense as a unit.

And to Ross "Ice" Martin.

SoCalDukeFan
10-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Is to change the culture. We should now expect to go to a bowl every year. Recruiting should get better and better.

No sense in comparing K to Cut. I will just say we have the best combination of coaches in college sports.

SoCal

wilson
10-27-2013, 12:20 AM
Hiring David Cutcliffe is starting to look as wise as Tom Butters' extension of Coach K.Down here in Atlanta, they've been giving Paul Johnson the blues recently for his supposed mediocrity at GA Tech. Many of you will recall that Coach Cut was essentially our 2nd choice behind Johnson.
I'm pretty pleased with the way that worked out.

DevilWearsPrada
10-27-2013, 05:22 AM

I would love to the Post Game presser also. The Duke Football players threw the barrel of Gatorade on the back of Coach Cut. Therefore, maybe he was standing because he was soaked!!! Bless his heart. I am still excited and our coach, staff and team are so deserving!!!!

WE ARE DUKE!!!!!!

sagegrouse
10-27-2013, 06:18 AM
Five ACC football teams have become bowl eligible so far, and it is only October. Duke is joined by FSU, Clemson, Miami and Virginia Tech. Now that is nice company to be in!

As long ago Oklahoma Senator and Presidential candidate Fred Harris said following the New Hampshire primary, "The winnowing out has begun, and we've been 'winnowed in.'"

sagegrouse

gotoguy
10-27-2013, 07:33 AM

It was the first road win against a ranked opponent since 1971, a year before I matriculated. Wow!

75Crazie
10-27-2013, 08:36 AM
It was the first road win against a ranked opponent since 1971, a year before I matriculated. Wow!
I was a freshman in House P that year, and I vividly remember the post-game celebration (involving a significant amount of toilet paper) as the houses all emptied onto the quads. It was quite the initiation into college life. I am curious if the celebration of yesterday's game was notable at all.

mkline09
10-27-2013, 09:08 AM
I would love to the Post Game presser also. The Duke Football players threw the barrel of Gatorade on the back of Coach Cut. Therefore, maybe he was standing because he was soaked!!! Bless his heart. I am still excited and our coach, staff and team are so deserving!!!!

WE ARE DUKE!!!!!!

Having gone up to VT last year when the post game presser wasn't so good I can say it is a small little room, smaller than where Duke has its post game pressers and it has no lectern to stand at and reporters aren't in fixed seats. Cutcliffe standing would have been like he was addressing players giving a pep talk since you are basically right on top of one another sitting in folding chairs in a semi-circular configuration. I can only imagine how excited he must have been to have stood the entire time.

MChambers
10-27-2013, 09:37 AM
“Sometimes maybe the best team doesn’t win, and I think today was one of those days,” Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/virginia-tech-football-hokies-offensive-woes-continue-as-duke-blue-devils-score-upset/2013/10/26/7b74dd3e-3e8a-11e3-a94f-b58017bfee6c_story.html

While I will agree that Duke was fortunate to win, a losing coach should accept a loss with more grace than Foster showed.

cspan37421
10-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Whoa-slow down. The K hiring and extension win that argument by a mile. I will say that the Cut hire was wiser than the Butch Davis hire.

Point taken.

In my defense, I did say "starting to", as in, c. 1984. When we go 11-1, we can upgrade that to 1986. And so forth. :)

Duvall
10-27-2013, 09:51 AM
“Sometimes maybe the best team doesn’t win, and I think today was one of those days,” Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/virginia-tech-football-hokies-offensive-woes-continue-as-duke-blue-devils-score-upset/2013/10/26/7b74dd3e-3e8a-11e3-a94f-b58017bfee6c_story.html

While I will agree that Duke was fortunate to win, a losing coach should accept a loss with more grace than Foster showed.

Bud Foster, your tears are delicious.

cspan37421
10-27-2013, 09:56 AM

You are right - it was ungracious, but as you hint, not inaccurate. Statistically, they kicked our butts - just look at the box score. Fortunately for us, the box score and scoreboard are imperfectly correlated. But after some well-earned celebration, I suspect the coaching staff will have a lengthy list of things for the team to work on.

MChambers
10-27-2013, 10:03 AM
You are right - it was ungracious, but as you hint, not inaccurate. Statistically, they kicked our butts - just look at the box score. Fortunately for us, the box score and scoreboard are imperfectly correlated. But after some well-earned celebration, I suspect the coaching staff will have a lengthy list of things for the team to work on.
I agree with you, but feel compelled to point out that the Hokies have some things to work on too, like limiting turnovers, kicking field goals, and avoiding dumb penalties!

roywhite
10-27-2013, 10:35 AM

A look at the stats:
Each team scored 1 TD
Each QB had 4 interceptions
VaTech gained more yardage, but both teams missed TD opportunities when they got deep into the opponents end
**key stat -- VT kicker was 1-3 on FG attempts, with misses from 45 and 40 yards
Duke kicker Ross Martin was 2-2 on FG attempts, with makes from 51 and 53 yards

Things for Duke to work on? Sure, but there always are. Prime issue is to get better QB play

killerleft
10-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Our guys made a lot of beautiful and sure open-field tackles in this game. Every one was needed. Linebackers Helton and Brown were great! Kudos to the defense! I'm betting that Boone won't have another passing game like that, and his running was very good. 6-0 as a starter? Not bad:). If you read our stuff, Ross Martin, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! TWO 50+ yard field goals?? C'mon!!!

Feel free to add more names to the kudos list, everybody. This was a true team effort.

Indoor66
10-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Our guys made a lot of beautiful and sure open-field tackles in this game. Every one was needed. Linebackers Helton and Brown were great! Kudos to the defense! I'm betting that Boone won't have another passing game like that, and his running was very good. 6-0 as a starter? Not bad:). If you read our stuff, Ross Martin, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! TWO 50+ yard field goals?? C'mon!!!

Feel free to add more names to the kudos list, everybody. This was a true team effort.

You hit on the one thing that really stood out to me. Duke made tackles. Open field or not, if we had a shot we made the tackle. That is so different from the past. Our special team play was outstanding. Always remember, it is not how, it is how many.

loran16
10-27-2013, 10:49 AM

This is true. But I think it's worth noting why the box score was this way. VaTech was averaging 4.8 yards per play coming in to yesterday, Duke held them to 4.6 yards per play - and that's before talking about the 4 picks.

Duke's OFFENSE was the problem here - something that hasn't been the case in a long time. The D is often what it is - it's not our team's specialty by any means. But the O, well, I think we all trust Cutcliffe to fix that pretty well over the bye week. And we don't face another top 50 Defense on the schedule.

Oh and this was a road game.

We certainly didn't dominate this game even at 13-0 and there certainly are a lot of things for the coaching staff to work on. But we have a bye week to do so, and the team still performed much better than expectations, even if VaTech HAD made both those Field Goals and won the game.

uh_no
10-27-2013, 10:51 AM
This is true. But I think it's worth noting why the box score was this way. VaTech was averaging 4.8 yards per play coming in to yesterday, Duke held them to 4.6 yards per play - and that's before talking about the 4 picks.

Duke's OFFENSE was the problem here - something that hasn't been the case in a long time. The D is often what it is - it's not our team's specialty by any means. But the O, well, I think we all trust Cutcliffe to fix that pretty well over the bye week. And we don't face another top 50 Defense on the schedule.

Oh and this was a road game.

We certainly didn't dominate this game even at 13-0 and there certainly are a lot of things for the coaching staff to work on. But we have a bye week to do so, and the team still performed much better than expectations, even if VaTech HAD made both those Field Goals and won the game.

give VT credit, they have one of the best defenses in the country.

bob blue devil
10-27-2013, 10:58 AM
A look at the stats:
Each team scored 1 TD
Each QB had 4 interceptions
VaTech gained more yardage, but both teams missed TD opportunities when they got deep into the opponents end
**key stat -- VT kicker was 1-3 on FG attempts, with misses from 45 and 40 yards
Duke kicker Ross Martin was 2-2 on FG attempts, with makes from 51 and 53 yards

Things for Duke to work on? Sure, but there always are. Prime issue is to get better QB play

Where they got their yardage would be an interesting stat... Obviously, our defense got a lot tighter in the area of the field where points were at immediate risk.

Agree, we were the better field goal unit by a wide margin and that more than explains the difference between winning and losing.

CameronBlue
10-27-2013, 11:08 AM

I'd be interested to know how many times Anthony was forced to audible against Tech's complex scheme of blitz packages. Add to that the wind which was apparently a factor--8 INTs is pretty rare--probably played with Boone's head just a bit as he's still relatively inexperienced as a starter. Cut stated as much, to paraphrase, that Anthony needed to keep his head in the game a little better and stop worrying about making plays, in short to execute the game plan better. Great learning experience for Anthony, he'll be much better for it.

loran16
10-27-2013, 11:15 AM

Oh I did, #3 in pass D according to Football Outsiders (#1 is FSU actually) and #1 overall.

But Boone overthrew receivers constantly and for some reason, Cut basically cut out our Running Backs out of the offense. 12 carries in 54 plays? What the heck is that Cut?

DukeHLM'13
10-27-2013, 12:49 PM

Second this question. I would love to see what Cut had to say after the game and it doesn't look like its on GoDuke yet. Anyone know another place to find it?

75Crazie
10-27-2013, 01:08 PM
In all of the articles I've read, not one gave kudos to the guy that broke up the pass that became our last interception: Breon Borders, a freshman cornerback. That, along with the Connette fourth-down run, sealed the game and had to be the plays of the game. I did see one reference to the tandem of Borders and Bryon Fields, another freshman cornerback, who together had six pass break-ups and who played the whole fourth quarter while Cockrell was sidelined with (I believe) an ankle injury. Major props to those two young guys!

loran16
10-27-2013, 01:44 PM
In all of the articles I've read, not one gave kudos to the guy that broke up the pass that became our last interception: Breon Borders, a freshman cornerback. That, along with the Connette fourth-down run, sealed the game and had to be the plays of the game. I did see one reference to the tandem of Borders and Bryon Fields, another freshman cornerback, who together had six pass break-ups and who played the whole fourth quarter while Cockrell was sidelined with (I believe) an ankle injury. Major props to those two young guys!

Borders also picked off UVA to end that game too. Looks like the kids have potential. Gonna need it next year (Cockrell graduating)

brevity
10-27-2013, 01:59 PM
ESPN has posted (http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings) the AP and USA Today polls for Week 10. Virginia Tech has dropped out of both polls. Duke has 2 AP votes and 8 coaches' votes. It's a start.

weezie
10-27-2013, 02:15 PM
"Alls" I know is, I can't wait to hit these Piedmont Virginia hills and dales tomorrow and spread the love amongst the woeful, sad-sad turkeys. :cool:

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Don't forget to vote for Coach Cutcliffe in the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year poll. The last time he got any good press in that poll was 6 years ago.;)

Wander
10-27-2013, 06:00 PM
ESPN has posted (http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings) the AP and USA Today polls for Week 10. Virginia Tech has dropped out of both polls. Duke has 2 AP votes and 8 coaches' votes. It's a start.

We'd be ranked right now if we could only hold Pitt to like, 50 points. Still, I think there's a chance we sneak into the Top 25 if we beat NC State in two weeks, and we'll definitely be ranked (and in the ACC championship race!) if we beat both NC State and Miami in the next three weeks.

devildeac
10-27-2013, 06:08 PM
We'd be ranked right now if we could only hold Pitt to like, 50 points. Still, I think there's a chance we sneak into the Top 25 if we beat NC State in two weeks, and we'll definitely be ranked (and in the ACC championship race!) if we beat both NC State and Miami in the next three weeks.

I dunno. Folks may forget about us during our bye week:rolleyes:.

nyesq83
10-27-2013, 06:08 PM

Quite the accomplishment - in another article Duke's freshmen in the secondary are thanking the seniors, especially Ross Cockrell, midway through the season.

Confession: I went to HS with Ross' dad, who played at Columbia 1979-1983.

I saw Ross' dad play only for a half game (senior year homecoming, which WWHS lost in the second half) because every Saturday in the fall of 1978 I was running as part of a nationally ranked cross country team racking up first place finishes and trophies elsewhere on Long Island or in the Bronx at Van Cortlandt Park, or Poughkeepsie.

SO I am incredibly proud and happy for the Cockrell family and it is with a great sense of satisfaction that I say I am so proud of Ross, who sacrificed a lot of "fun" at Duke the last four oops five years, as he is such a great team leader and a young man of great integrity - and a role model as a fine human being, the ultimate Dukie.

Breon and Bryon are lucky to have Ross as a mentor. The rest of the coaching staff are pretty darn good too.

nyesq83
10-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Just wanna win every last game each year. The rest is gravy.

killerleft
10-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Just wanna win every last game each year. The rest is gravy.

That's aiming mighty low there, Lou. Yay, basketball?

throatybeard
10-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Virginia Tech has dropped out of both polls.

That's kind of not helping, actually. Better for us, perception-wise, if they had hung in at like #22 or something.

nyesq83
10-27-2013, 07:52 PM
That's aiming mighty low there, Lou. Yay, basketball?

I hope you are OK with that.

Newton_14
10-27-2013, 08:44 PM
That's kind of not helping, actually. Better for us, perception-wise, if they had hung in at like #22 or something.

Totally agree but feared it would happen. A sign or more disrespect of our guys imo. "Wow these guys lost to Duke at home so no way they should be ranked" seems to be how that played out. Disheartening. Need VaTech to go back on a winning streak and for Duke to keep winning to overcome that perception.

LIke you I was hoping Tech would stay somewhere in the Top 25 even if it was just 25th. In the loss against Alabama, it was special teams to did the Hokies in far moreso than Alabama just lining up and rollin them on offense. It would have been a must closer game were it not for all the great returns by Bama in the kicking game. This Tech team is still darn good, especially on defense. We just beat them at their own game with stellar defense ourselves.

Wander
10-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Need VaTech to go back on a winning streak and for Duke to keep winning to overcome that perception.

Don't give up on the division championship! We need Virginia Tech to lose at least one more game, since we'd hold the tiebreaker over them if we finish with matching ACC records. This is far more important than whatever marginal benefits come from having VT ranked #22 instead of unranked.

ForkFondler
10-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Totally agree but feared it would happen. A sign or more disrespect of our guys imo. "Wow these guys lost to Duke at home so no way they should be ranked" seems to be how that played out. Disheartening. Need VaTech to go back on a winning streak and for Duke to keep winning to overcome that perception.

Nobody who looks at computer ranking thinks that. The Coastal division is comprised of 6 teams ranked in the 20-60 range, plus UVa as the outlier. All good teams, no great teams. We can beat the crap out of one another, and as long as no one loses to the hapless Cavs, we'll still all be 20-60. Third place Atlantic (MD) is ranked lower than sixth place Coastal (Pitt), so there's that.

sagegrouse
10-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Losing to Duke can be hazardous to your career? Mebbe so. Here's a CYA quote from the VT defensive coordinator, Bud Foster:

Now here's a more honest quote from wide receiver Willie Byrn:

“We’re getting down there and getting where we need to be, but then once we get there, something happens and you just can’t have those setbacks,” wide receiver Willie Byrn said. “You can have them every once in a while and . . . make incredible plays to overcome them, but a lot of the times if you turn the ball over and if you have execution problems, the other team is gonna beat you. Duke was certainly good enough to do that today.”

Uhh.... Mr. Foster, how do you define "best team?" What about missed field goals, four interceptions, and a general inability to put the ball in the endzone? Looks to me that the best team did win, if how a team plays is what determines the best team.

sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
10-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Losing to Duke can be hazardous to your career? Mebbe so. Here's a CYA quote from the VT defensive coordinator, Bud Foster:

Now here's a more honest quote from wide receiver Willie Byrn:

Uhh.... Mr. Foster, how do you define "best team?" What about missed field goals, four interceptions, and a general inability to put the ball in the endzone? Looks to me that the best team did win, if how a team plays is what determines the best team.

sagegrouse

De Nile is not just a river in Egypt, Mr. Foster.

Years gone bye, we would lose games we could have won. Last two, we have won games we could have lost. That is a sign of a program in the right direction. Any Duke basketball fan already understands that. Foster, by contrast, does not.

wilson
10-27-2013, 10:23 PM
De Nile is not just a river in Egypt, Mr. Foster.

Years gone bye, we would lose games we could have won. Last two, we have won games we could have lost. That is a sign of a program in the right direction. Any Duke basketball fan already understands that. Foster, by contrast, does not.With all of the injuries our football players have suffered on penalized hits from Hokies over the years, and the generally thuggish play we've come to expect from their basketball teams, class is not really the first thing I'd look for from one of their coaches.

OldPhiKap
10-27-2013, 10:27 PM
With all of the injuries our football players have suffered on penalized hits from Hokies over the years, and the generally thuggish play we've come to expect from their basketball teams, class is not really the first thing I'd look for from one of their coaches.

It is sad that the three worst cheap shot teams in the conference -- VT, GT and UNC -- are all in our division. Hope we came through the game relatively well and glad we have a bye week.

Potato Head
10-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Tech fans aren't gonna take the "Duke was better than us" excuse very well, so I can't say I really blame the coach for saying that. It stinks that people still think that we suck at football, but it sure makes the (all the more frequent) victories sweeter. Imagine all the UNC fans out there still expecting their team to beat us this season.

throatybeard
10-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Don't give up on the division championship! We need Virginia Tech to lose at least one more game, since we'd hold the tiebreaker over them if we finish with matching ACC records. This is far more important than whatever marginal benefits come from having VT ranked #22 instead of unranked.

This is a very good point. I fear that with our losses to GT and Pitt, the division is too crowded, but I suppose it's possible.

devildeac
10-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Ten Duke FB threads (including Thad's) on page 1 :cool:.

Football school;):rolleyes:.

CameronBornAndBred
10-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Game is replayed tonight on ESPNUHD at 9:30. We will win tonight, too.

gep
10-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Also... if you get ESPN3 or WatchESPN, the game can be replayed. Usually available at least for 7 days, up to 30 days I think. Great on AppleTV.

devildeac
10-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Nice read here:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=acc&id=62425&src=desktop&wjb

Dukehky
10-30-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm just really excited about the fact that knock on wood we're beating VT in Cameron that the crowd can start a "Just like football" chant. I enjoy those. I guess they were funnier when we were terrible at football, but still, that chant at a football school is humerous.