PDA

View Full Version : Seth Curry cut by Warriors

CameronBornAndBred
10-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Well damn.

The Golden State Warriors (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/gs/golden-state-warriors) have waived guard Seth Curry (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2326307/seth-curry), centerDewayne Dedmon (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2580913/dewayne-dedmon) and forward Joe Alexander (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3411/joe-alexander).
The team announced the moves Friday, a day after finishing the preseason. All three are expected to land on the Santa Cruz Warriors of the NBA Development League.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9878083/golden-state-warriors-cut-seth-curry-development-league-likely-next

I do hope that he goes to the D-League and shows off his skills, it was a move that paid off for Lance Thomas.

BigWayne
10-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Well damn.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9878083/golden-state-warriors-cut-seth-curry-development-league-likely-next

I do hope that he goes to the D-League and shows off his skills, it was a move that paid off for Lance Thomas.

Might have to get to a Santa Cruz Warrior game this year then. 10 minute drive for me.

CDu
10-25-2013, 04:05 PM
No surprise there. 6'1" guards who can't play PG, can't run, and can't jump are not exactly likely to make it in the NBA.

flyingdutchdevil
10-25-2013, 04:34 PM
No surprise there. 6'1" guards who can't play PG, can't run, and can't jump are not exactly likely to make it in the NBA.

Sadly, Nolan Smith fell victim to this as well, and he's taller, can run faster, and jump higher than Seth.

subzero02
10-25-2013, 04:37 PM
I am surprised Joe Alexander hasn't stuck in the NBA... He's got so many tools. Seth needs to become the scorer in the D-league that he would've been with us last year.

tommy
10-25-2013, 04:45 PM
I am surprised Joe Alexander hasn't stuck in the NBA... He's got so many tools. Seth needs to become the scorer in the D-league that he would've been with us last year.

?? He scored 17.5 ppg on almost 44% 3-point shooting in over 32 mpg. How much more do you realistically think he would've scored on that team, even if he had been 100% healthy?? (assuming that's what was implied by your statement)

Billy Dat
10-25-2013, 05:23 PM

I agree that Alexander is a tool
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/22/mocking-duke/?_r=0

"Sick of being an underdog despite their the spate of recent success (three appearances in the Round of 16 in four years), West Virginia players lit into Duke. West Virginia forward Joe Alexander led the charge. He had the assembled news media cracking up when a reporter told him that Duke had eight McDonald’s all-Americans.

“Who?” he asked, very skeptically.

He wasn’t done. Nor were his teammates.

Alexander on breaking down Duke on film: “We knew that coming in that they were just going to stand around and not rebound. So we were ready to exploit that.”

Alexander on the Duke mystique: ““We don’t care that they’re Duke. That doesn’t mean anything to us. People look at West Virginia like we’re this mid-major school playing all these big schools and upsetting them. That’s not the case at all.”

As for Seth, I feel bad for him, but he'll find somewhere to play. At least he comes from a wealthy family unlike a lot of other kids who come close but don't quite make the league.

CameronBornAndBred
10-25-2013, 07:03 PM
As for Seth, I feel bad for him, but he'll find somewhere to play. At least he comes from a wealthy family unlike a lot of other kids who come close but don't quite make the league.
Uhhh...Seth graduated from Duke. I'm sure wealthy parents or not, he would be just fine anyway. He is not a one and doner that chased false dreams only to fall on his face.

Henderson
10-25-2013, 07:45 PM
He'll have Coach K as one of his resume references. He'll be fine no matter what he does, and I suspect he's still got some professional basketball in his future. But those Duke connections are going to last him a lifetime.

FerryFor50
10-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Other ACC notables cut:

Lorenzo Brown
Josh Powell
CJ Leslie
Elliot Williams
Kenny Kadji

Also notable, Marcin Gortat has been traded from Phoenix to the Wizards for Emeka Okafor and a draft pick. Okafor is out indefinitely with a neck injury. That likely means more minutes for Miles Plumlee with Alex Len also still out.

Kendall Marshall was also traded to Washington and is expected to be cut (because he's not very good).

Henderson
10-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Kendall Marshall was also traded to Washington and is expected to be cut (because he's not very good).

When I saw this trade announced, I also saw that Washington expected to waive Kendall Marshall, which immediately raised the question for me: Why do you take a guy in trade if you know you are going to waive him to get down to your roster limit?

I think I must not understand NBA team economics. Can someone explain?

RoyalBlue08
10-25-2013, 08:22 PM
When I saw this trade announced, I also saw that Washington expected to waive Kendall Marshall, which immediately raised the question for me: Why do you take a guy in trade if you know you are going to waive him to get down to your roster limit?

I think I must not understand NBA team economics. Can someone explain?

I believe the salaries in the trades in the NBA have to balance, which is why players are often thrown into one side or another that have no other value.

subzero02
10-25-2013, 08:26 PM
I agree that Alexander is a tool
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/22/mocking-duke/?_r=0

"Sick of being an underdog despite their the spate of recent success (three appearances in the Round of 16 in four years), West Virginia players lit into Duke. West Virginia forward Joe Alexander led the charge. He had the assembled news media cracking up when a reporter told him that Duke had eight McDonald’s all-Americans.

“Who?” he asked, very skeptically.

He wasn’t done. Nor were his teammates.

Alexander on breaking down Duke on film: “We knew that coming in that they were just going to stand around and not rebound. So we were ready to exploit that.”

Alexander on the Duke mystique: ““We don’t care that they’re Duke. That doesn’t mean anything to us. People look at West Virginia like we’re this mid-major school playing all these big schools and upsetting them. That’s not the case at all.”

2010 final four... Miles Plumlee goes over Kyle Singler's back for a two handed put back dunk... Game over(even though he got a tech too)... We jumped on those mountaineers like they stole something

timmy c
10-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Other ACC notables cut:

Lorenzo Brown
Josh Powell
CJ Leslie
Elliot Williams
Kenny Kadji

Also notable, Marcin Gortat has been traded from Phoenix to the Wizards for Emeka Okafor and a draft pick. Okafor is out indefinitely with a neck injury. That likely means more minutes for Miles Plumlee with Alex Len also still out.

Miles has had a fantastic pre-season with the suns. He is a great fit for the uptempo style of play in Phoenix.

http://arizonasports.com/41/1672038/Plumlee-had-most-surprising-preseason

Miles has been terrific," Babby said. "You know, rebounding the ball, blocking shots, running the floor. I think that he was a very pleasant surprise

Wheat/"/"/"
10-25-2013, 10:51 PM
I didn't see where anyone had mentioned the Spurs waived Maggette (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/15/spurs-waive-corey-maggette-he-said-he-will-retire/) last week.

He's evidently calling it quits after 14 years...

FerryFor50
10-25-2013, 10:55 PM
I didn't see where anyone had mentioned the Spurs waived Maggette (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/15/spurs-waive-corey-maggette-he-said-he-will-retire/) last week.

There was an entire thread on it...

-jk
10-25-2013, 10:55 PM

C'mon, Wheat! You're better than this. Pay attention (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?32047-Dukies-no-longer-in-the-NBA)! (Sheesh.)

-jk

kAzE
10-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Seth has a long career in basketball ahead of him. He's too good of a shooter. Truthfully, I don't see him sticking in the NBA, either. Physically, he just wasn't dealt the same cards as his father or his brother. I could really see him do some damage in Europe or in China though, where he could be more than a role player and really have a big impact. Maybe he should have a chat with Trajan Langdon and go over his options.

FerryFor50
10-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Not liking Ryan Kelly's chances to make the Lakers' roster. He's barely played this preseason and hasn't played at all on tonight's game yet. Meanwhile, his roster competition has been playing a lot tonight - Xavier Henry and Wesley Johnson. I think Kelly starts out in the D league this year.

Dukehky
10-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Not liking Ryan Kelly's chances to make the Lakers' roster. He's barely played this preseason and hasn't played at all on tonight's game yet. Meanwhile, his roster competition has been playing a lot tonight - Xavier Henry and Wesley Johnson. I think Kelly starts out in the D league this year.

I don't think Ryan is completely back to being healthy. Some time in the D-League would probably be good for the kid. The Lakers are going to be terrible until Kobe gets back and even then Kobe is going to take 40 shots a game. Not a great situation for Kelly to be in currently, but you gotta start somewhere I guess.

Re Seth: I have said for a while that I don't think Seth is an NBA player. Seth's defense in college was semi-effective because he was crafty. Undersized and crafty probably isn't going to cut it guarding PGs in the show. He's also not the quickest. Kid can straight shoot the rock, but his release is slower than his brothers, and being so short would find it tough to get off.

I agree that Seth's basketball future probably lies overseas, and there is nothing wrong with that. Seth, if for some reason you read this, please prove me wrong. I would love nothing more than to see the Curry Brothers lighting it up in the NBA. Some of my favorite texts I got last year were "Steph's on a heat check," the more Curry in the NBA the better.

subzero02
10-26-2013, 12:56 AM
?? He scored 17.5 ppg on almost 44% 3-point shooting in over 32 mpg. How much more do you realistically think he would've scored on that team, even if he had been 100% healthy?? (assuming that's what was implied by your statement)

Didn't realize he was waived due to injury and I have not followed his career at all

Wheat/"/"/"
10-26-2013, 06:56 AM
C'mon, Wheat! You're better than this. Pay attention (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?32047-Dukies-no-longer-in-the-NBA)! (Sheesh.)

-jk

My bad...I've been busy:)

Indoor66
10-26-2013, 07:08 AM

Poker, fishing, hiding from what is going on at the Dump on the Hump - Who has time?

miramar
10-26-2013, 09:05 AM
If Ryan doesn't make it with the Lakers, I think he would have a much better experience in Europe than in the D-League. Same goes for Seth. European basketball isn't too exciting, at least for me, but it would be a great learning experience on and off the court for both of them.

brevity
10-26-2013, 11:52 AM
There was an entire thread on it...

Yeah, but with an uninformative name: "Dukies no longer in the NBA". Jason over-moderated with that decision, especially since (1) Maggette deserves his own thread, and (2) the thread morphed into discussing the very active Luol Deng.

miramar
10-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Other ACC notables cut:

Lorenzo Brown
Josh Powell
CJ Leslie
Elliot Williams
Kenny Kadji

Elliot Williams was only at Duke for one season because of personal reasons, and his bad luck has continued now that his injuries have apparently derailed his NBA career. He has made $4 million at the age of 24, but he was the 22nd pick in 2010 (Portland, of course) and his career may be over after playing only 24 games. Real shame.

Billy Dat
10-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Uhhh...Seth graduated from Duke. I'm sure wealthy parents or not, he would be just fine anyway. He is not a one and doner that chased false dreams only to fall on his face.

You're right, and I meant to go back and add some of what you said. My bad, but the family $, let alone the shooter DNA, don't hurt!

wk2109
10-26-2013, 04:20 PM

Coach K said Seth might have led the nation in scoring if he'd been completely healthy. Too bad we'll never know.

NSDukeFan
10-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Coach K said Seth might have led the nation in scoring if he'd been completely healthy. Too bad we'll never know.

I think we should just assume that he would have.

awhom111
10-26-2013, 08:30 PM
If Ryan doesn't make it with the Lakers, I think he would have a much better experience in Europe than in the D-League. Same goes for Seth. European basketball isn't too exciting, at least for me, but it would be a great learning experience on and off the court for both of them.

In your first year, you might as well try to make it in the D League route since impressing there is the quickest path to a short term NBA deal. Most of the teams overseas have completed their rosters for the season with only a few slots open for training camp cuts.

Seth could easily make a career for himself in Europe where he could fill the combo guard role nicely. Ryan seems like the type who could be a great player in Europe.

WiJoe
10-26-2013, 09:17 PM

Friendly advice: If you don't know what you're typing about, perhaps you shouldn't flap your fingers. That might cut it at the weak blue sites, but not this one.

awhom111
11-01-2013, 09:27 PM
I have seen some rumors floating around from Europe that Cedevita Zagreb, the team that Nolan Smith plays for, has been trying to sign Seth, but that he is not interested.

Apparently one of the Spanish teams chasing him before NBA training camp was Gran Canaria, where they were looking for someone who could replace Jon Scheyer.

throatybeard
11-02-2013, 01:07 AM

Well, sure, but I kind of don't understand this prevalent (it's not just you) attitude that everyone who went to Duke is going to skate into "just fine." The world is a tough place. Just graduating from a Duke isn't enough to make it to "just fine." It takes timing, luck, hard work, connections, and probably something else I'm forgetting.

JNort
11-02-2013, 01:41 AM
Well, sure, but I kind of don't understand this prevalent (it's not just you) attitude that everyone who went to Duke is going to skate into "just fine." The world is a tough place. Just graduating from a Duke isn't enough to make it to "just fine." It takes timing, luck, hard work, connections, and probably something else I'm forgetting.

While yes your statements are true he still has a better start than roughly 85% of american graduates just by going to Duke as opposed to a community college.

sagegrouse
11-02-2013, 09:11 AM

While yes your statements are true he still has a better start than roughly 85% of american graduates just by going to Duke as opposed to a community college.

Throaty, I think you are saying, "Every day is an audition," and you gotta bring it every day if you want to come back tomorrow. Seth's advantage is that he will get a bunch of auditions and not just in basketball. And I expect he will do extremely well.

sagegrouse