PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Bowie State Pre-game and In-game thread

Henderson
10-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Kedsy got us started in the Phase 0 thread with some great info about Bowie State, to which I responded. One of the mods asked me to start this Game Preview thread and include that info here to get us started for Saturday's game.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Originally Posted by Kedsy:

Our first opponent, Bowie State, was 16-14 last season but they came on at the end, winning the CIAA championship. The Bulldogs have six players who stand between 6'6" and 6'8" (inclusive), although nobody taller than 6'8", and boast two players who played Division I at one time (6'7" Brian Freeman, who played at Binghamton, and 6'4" Donald Williams, who played at Maryland Eastern-Shore).

Following up on Kedsy's info:

More thoughts about Bowie State, since they're up first. If I'm reading their stats pages right, they lost four of their top five scorers from last year. http://bsubulldogs.com/cumestats.asp...ball&year=2012. But they seem to have reloaded and have been picked to win their half of the conference again this year. http://bsubulldogs.com/news/2013/10/...px?path=mbball. Their best returning player (maybe best player period) seems to be Carlos Smith, a 6-8, 220# senior forward, who averaged 7 points and 5.1 rebounds last year and is pre-season all-conference. They bowed out in the first round of the DII tourney last year, losing to West Liberty State. Both Freeman (a grad student) and Donald Williams (senior) are transfers new to the team this year.

I think this looks to be a pretty good chance for our guys to get their feet under them in a real game situation. I expect their will be minutes to go around.

Newton_14
10-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Good write up! Thanks Henderson.

Bought my ticket tonight and can't wait for Saturday to finally see this team play against another team. Saw them in the open practice and CTC and thought they looked really good and ready to go.

It will be interesting to see who the starters are and how K runs them in and out which he will do in both of the first two games. Murphy got the start in the first exhibition the last two years but I expect his streak is broken Saturday. (Though would have been neat if Murphy could have started 5 straight years in the opening exhibition game).

For Saturday I am not going to guess on the fifth guy to start. I do think we will see Quinn, Hood, Amile, Jabari trot out there, but based on what we have seen and read so far the 5th guy could be any one of Andre, Rasheed, Tyler, Jones, or in a stretch Semi or Murphy.

Beyond that, I want to see how well they press on defense, and how fast they play on offense. Can we force a lot of turnovers while protecting the ball on our end? Despite the lack of a traditional low post center with MP2 gone, this team should be able to score in many different ways including in the post with Jabari and Amile. Shooters? Got'em. Andre, Hood, Rasheed, Quinn, Tyler, Jones, Murphy. Basically every guy except MP3 is at least capable behind the arc, none better than Dawkins. The guy is a machine. With alll the creators around him, Andre can have a big year.

Time to get it on. Lace'em up boys!

Go Duke!

JBDuke
10-24-2013, 09:01 PM
The game is this Saturday, October 26th, at 1:00 pm. It looks like the only ways to watch it are to be in Cameron or pay for the online Blue Devil Network to watch it there.

Here's the link to the BDN site. (http://www.goduke.com//mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=0&id=1021598&db_oem_id=4200) If you want to sign up for the service, there's a green button labeled "SIGN UP" on the right side of the page.

Note that, according to the goduke.com info, right now, BDN is the only way to watch this game, the second exhibition against Drury, and maybe even the Florida Atlantic game on Friday, Nov. 15th.

moonpie23
10-26-2013, 12:07 PM
I can't believe this thread hasn't been started….

I'm excited to sit by my little transistor radio and listen to the game…I even dial it a little off the station so it can have some static.. :)

Skitzle
10-26-2013, 12:11 PM
I can't believe this thread hasn't been started….

I'm excited to sit by my little transistor radio and listen to the game…I even dial it a little off the station so it can have some static.. :)

Yea was wondering when this would get started. I got out DukeBluePlanet and reintroduced my wife to all the players. Dying for the season to start!

CDu
10-26-2013, 12:44 PM
The thread has started. It just hasn't gotten any attention and fell off the front page:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?32099-MBB-Bowie-State-Pre-game-and-In-game-thread

DBFAN
10-26-2013, 12:47 PM
So will it be on the radio. I know sometimes the exhibition games are hit and miss

riverside6
10-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Live tempo based stats for duke/Bowie state

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=20174

CDu
10-26-2013, 01:04 PM
So will it be on the radio. I know sometimes the exhibition games are hit and miss

I am watching it live on goduke.com. Just started up.

DBFAN
10-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah I was looking more for the free variety

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 01:10 PM
We've got to get more than Jabari going, despite him being all we need right now. It seems to be his show early on.

CDu
10-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Yeah I was looking more for the free variety

Oh. Yeah, that wasn't gonna happen. Not with an exhibition game.

CDu
10-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Offense hasn't looked great so far. Settling for a lot of semi-open 3s, of which we've hit just one. Aside from Parker, no one has really shown much on offense. But, it's still early.

Starters were what we'd expect: Parker, Jefferson, Hood, Sulaimon, and Cook. It looked like Parker took the assignment in the middle on defense, although Bowie State isn't exactly big.

First subs were Thornton, Dawkins, and Hairston for Cook, Sulaimon, and Parker. And Parker is back in there.

DBFAN
10-26-2013, 01:18 PM

:( well that's no fun

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Hairston haters just took a hit, as he hit a nice jumper. Dre playing nice pressure D as well.

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Not going so well so far, but we've got to get more control with our speed. Bowie St. is about to pull ahead at the moment. I am sure we will fix it, but not what you want with JO, TJ and JW in the stands. Nothing for Hood yet. That surprises me.

CDu
10-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Well, we look sloppy so far. 13-13 nearing the 12-minute timeout, and now Bowie State is at the line.

CDu
10-26-2013, 01:28 PM
At the under-12 timeout, we're up 3. The shooting hasn't been great 6-16 overall, 2-8 from 3. So far no Plumlee and no Murphy. Brief run for Hairston and Dawkins. Everyone else has played a decent amount.

The center position (on defense) has been manned by Parker and (briefly) Hairston.

Sloppy offensively. Not much more to say than that.

Parker has looked very good. Everyone else looks a little off early.

Interestingly, we've already gone to the 3-guard, Hood at PF lineup.

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 01:30 PM
No Semi. Rasheed hasn't done much (after I said this, he drove and drew a foul). Jones and Parker are the only guys who have hit from 3.

Jefferson helps the pressure and gets a layup out of it.

CDu
10-26-2013, 01:33 PM
No Semi. Rasheed hasn't done much (after I said this, he drove and drew a foul). Jones and Parker are the only guys who have hit from 3.

Right about Ojeleye. I had already resigned myself to him not playing much this year, so his absence is not surprising.

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Alex Murphy is in.

CDu
10-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Murphy subs in for Parker, assumes the center spot on defense. Still no Marshall. Still no Ojeleye (tip of the cap, Gthom2a).

Hood has started to make his presence felt, and Jefferson has been in the right place at the right time a few times for layups.

Stretched the lead to 6 at the under-8 timeout.

conmanlhughes
10-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Any guesses why Ojeleye isn't playing? after CTC and him getting burn with the first team, I thought he might contribute his freshman season.

langdonfan
10-26-2013, 01:47 PM

Strange. That used to happen all the time. At least here in the Durham area. I wonder if it's not available, or are stations choosing not to carry it?

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Hood is starting to get involved.

CDu
10-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Any guesses why Ojeleye isn't playing? after CTC and him getting burn with the first team, I thought he might contribute his freshman season.

Well, EVERYONE has gotten burn with the first team in practice, so I wouldn't use that as a guide. As for why he isn't playing? He's behind several guys (Parker, Hood, Hairston, Murphy, Dawkins) at the positions he can play (SF/PF). Nothing he did wrong - there's just only so much playing time to go around.

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Strange. That used to happen all the time. At least here in the Durham area. I wonder if it's not available, or are stations choosing not to carry it?

At least it's not like down the road where they only do closed door scrimmages where people can't watch them (suck) at all.

Lots of touch fouls being called.

CDu
10-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Well, we're to the under-4 timeout, and so far it's been the Parker/Hood show with a little Sulaimon and Jefferson sprinkled in.

Very little Dawkins (more Jones than Dawkins), very little Murphy, no Plumlee, no Ojeleye.

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Transition D is not good so far. That layup for them was too easy.

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Matt Jones is helping a lot for a guy this new. Pressure D and he is our main guy who looks likely to hit from 3.

adukeforduke
10-26-2013, 02:05 PM
whats the score?

HCheek37
10-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Can we get a score update? Wonder if Coach K is taking it somewhat easy on the guys during the timeouts with the recruits behind the bench or if he's sticking with his normal anger that he displays after a slow start....guess we'll have to wait for those who are at Cameron to report on this later.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Can we get a score update? Wonder if Coach K is taking it somewhat easy on the guys during the timeouts with the recruits behind the bench or if he's sticking with his normal anger that he displays after a slow start....guess we'll have to wait for those who are at Cameron to report on this later.

54-38 Duke up

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 02:07 PM

54-40 We lead.

CDu
10-26-2013, 02:08 PM
54-40, Duke with the final possession of the half.

adukeforduke
10-26-2013, 02:08 PM
54-40, Duke with the final possession of the half.

Thanks gentlemen

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Sulaimon hits a 3, then dances with the ball too much on the last possession of the half. Jones ends up with it and tries to just throw it up before the buzzer, but comes up short.

Researchc
10-26-2013, 02:11 PM
54-40 Duke at the half

Player PTS AST REB PF
Rodney Hood 13 3 5 2
Jabari Parker 10 3 1 2
Rasheed Sulaimon 9 2 0 1
Amile Jefferson 9 0 3 1
Matt Jones 6 0 0 1
Josh Hairston 5 0 5 2
Tyler Thornton 2 3 0 1
Andre Dawkins 0 0 0 0
Alex Murphy 0 0 0 0
Quinn Cook 0 1 0 2
TEAM
Totals 54 12 15 12

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 02:11 PM
I wonder if I can slip these refs a few $$ and tell them to swallow the whistle in the second half.

Gthoma2a
10-26-2013, 02:13 PM
I wonder if I can slip these refs a few $$ and tell them to swallow the whistle in the second half.

Never with the high integrity of the NCAA at stake.

DukieInBrasil
10-26-2013, 02:14 PM

Word is that rules changes this year are going to have lots of whistles blown for what they were just letting happen last year. If that's the case, i would just assume that they let the players start adjusting now.

Duvall
10-26-2013, 02:14 PM

No, Duke needs to learn to adjust to the whistle.

That said, I think these points of emphasis will get discarded come spring.

FerryFor50
10-26-2013, 02:17 PM
No, Duke needs to learn to adjust to the whistle.

That said, I think these points of emphasis will get discarded come spring.

Yep. Hate how the officiating changes in March to allow more grabbing and holding.

uh_no
10-26-2013, 02:17 PM
fouls no doubt contributed....but that was TERRIBLE defense on the whole.....

a 96.6 effective defense is really just awful....that would have been good for 83rd best in the country last year (belmont), and that was over their whole season....not just against D2 patsies....

now, I'm not a sky is falling type of person, especially for 1 half against a D2 squad....but it's at least not a positive for the first half...especially considering the issues we've had for the past few years. 58% from the floor? **shudder**

lets hope it's just the guys still adjusting to eachother

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 02:19 PM
That's too bad. All the Big 1G teams are gonna be grabbing fans from the stands to finish their games.

CDu
10-26-2013, 02:20 PM
At the half, here are the key numbers:

8 guys with at least 9 minutes in the first half: Hood (17), Parker (14), Sulaimon (13), Thornton (11), Jones (10), Cook (9), Jefferson (9), Hairston (9). Murphy got 5 minutes, Dawkins 3.

Parker led us early with 10, Hood finished strong with 13. Sulaimon and Jefferson added 9, Jones had 6 and Hairston had 5. Thornton added the only other bucket.

Of note so far:
- Parker has played mostly at C defensively. He looked AMAZING early on.
- Dawkins was the first wing off the bench, but he played sparingly after that in favor of Jones.
- Cook struggled, and has been outplayed by Thornton so far.
- Hood has looked really smooth.
- Shooting was not good for the first 15 or so minutes. We heated up toward the end of the half though.
- We've been outrebounded by a D-II school who has no size.
- Thankfully, we've applied lots of pressure and forced 15 turnovers.

It appears that the emphasis on transition basketball means little playing time for Plumlee.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 02:23 PM
29 fouls called.

CDu
10-26-2013, 02:24 PM
29 fouls called.

Yeah, that's probably the most key number. :)

hurleyfor3
10-26-2013, 02:24 PM
That's too bad. All the Big 1G teams are gonna be grabbing fans from the stands to finish their games.

They'll certainly have no problem with the grabbing part.

Researchc
10-26-2013, 02:25 PM

I am little scared this year because of the new rule changes, our D will suffer at first. Duke has always been so tenacious on D and their ability to consistently draw charges will be limited. One thing that that I read was that charges will be called differently this year. The good thing about Coach K is his quick adaptability to rule changes. Does anyone else share my concern?

Researchc
10-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Wow...I missed the whole conversation while I was typing my question about the rule changes.....Great minds think alike I guess...

Duvall
10-26-2013, 02:28 PM
fouls no doubt contributed....but that was TERRIBLE defense on the whole.....

a 96.6 effective defense is really just awful....that would have been good for 83rd best in the country last year (belmont), and that was over their whole season....not just against D2 patsies....

now, I'm not a sky is falling type of person, especially for 1 half against a D2 squad....but it's at least not a positive for the first half...especially considering the issues we've had for the past few years. 58% from the floor? **shudder**

lets hope it's just the guys still adjusting to eachother

Can we make comparisons to last season? Bilasball is basically a different sport.

Waynne
10-26-2013, 02:29 PM
According to scacchoops.com, Bowie State shot 57.7% from the field, including 50% from three point land. I doubt Coach K is very happy with our defensive effort so far. I imagine he'll point that out during the half.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 02:29 PM
I am little scared this year because of the new rule changes, our D will suffer at first. Duke has always been so tenacious on D and their ability to consistently draw charges will be limited. One thing that that I read was that charges will be called differently this year. The good thing about Coach K is his quick adaptability to rule changes. Does anyone else share my concern?

Sulaimon already called for 2 fouls. I'm concerned that we won't be able to apply the pressure on defense needed to spark the fast break offense we want from this team.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Neither team can get anything going here with the parade of whistles.

Researchc
10-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Neither team can get anything going here with the parade of whistles.

Is this going to be the new look of College Basketball? If so, let me go find a tall building......

Duvall
10-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Is this going to be the new look of College Basketball? If so, let me go find a tall building......

We had to destroy college basketball in order to save it.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Duke was able to string some good offense together. Amile looks good. 66-47. Up 19

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Well, if it hurts us on defense, it will almost certainly help on offense... If we can hit free throws. But who the heck wants to watch a free throw contest. I'm more worried about being annoyed watching games with little to no flow.

CDu
10-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Well, if it hurts us on defense, it will almost certainly help on offense... If we can hit free throws. But who the heck wants to watch a free throw contest. I'm more worried about being annoyed watching games with little to no flow.

The hope is that it is a short-term problem to fix the larger problem: ugly, bloody games with no fouls called.

Researchc
10-26-2013, 02:42 PM

If I wanted to watch basketball games with little to no flow, I would buy NBA League Pass....I love college basketball because of the uptempo pace. I love the fact if you look away for two seconds, you may have missed an important part of the game.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Commentators are saying how efficient Parker, Hood and Jefferson have been. 70-51 Duke on a Parker put-back Dunk on a fast break.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Did the commentators just say Semi hadn't lifted a weight in his life before showing up at Duke? That can't be right.

conmanlhughes
10-26-2013, 02:46 PM
ojeleye has entered the game

CDu
10-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Did the commentators just say Semi hadn't lifted a weight in his life before showing up at Duke? That can't be right.

Hyperbole for sure. I don't believe he's been in any sophisticated weight training program before. But he's almost certainly lifted weight before - probably many times.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Hyperbole for sure. I don't believe he's been in any sophisticated weight training program before. But he's almost certainly lifted weight before - probably many times.

Oh, I think it's a reference to Coach K's joke last week at Countdown to Craziness.

conmanlhughes
10-26-2013, 02:52 PM
plumlee has entered the game now with 11:32 left

CDu
Marshall checks in with 11:04 to go in the game.

FerryFor50
Any idea why Andre has played a grand total of 3 minutes? Injury? Doghouse?

CDu
10-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Any idea why Andre has played a grand total of 3 minutes? Injury? Doghouse?

No idea. He was the first wing off the bench, but did nothing. Jones came in and has played well. Maybe that's why?

Jim3k
10-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Can't see the game , but I'm betting that Jones's PT over Dawkins is meaningless insofar as Dawkins's future will be. K knows what Dawkins can do; he's giving Jones an opportunity to display his wares.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Marshall putting in some good work. Getting to the line (which admittedly isn't hard in this game). 84-55

Researchc
10-26-2013, 03:03 PM
To anyone watching the game, how is Quinn looking? His stat line is far from impressive, but that can be deceiving. I am ready for him to have a huge year.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 03:06 PM
90 - 57 Duke, on some free throws from a technical foul called on a Bowie St. player trash talking while being down by over 30. The Ghost of young John Henson is with Bowie St.

Utley
10-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Any Okajoneslow sightings/references?

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 03:13 PM
To anyone watching the game, how is Quinn looking? His stat line is far from impressive, but that can be deceiving. I am ready for him to have a huge year.

Both Quinn and Thornton have distributed the ball without really looking for a shot. They both blended into the offense. It's interesting that no one player has dominated the game, while Duke is up by over 30.

It is now 101-65.

Furniture
10-26-2013, 03:14 PM

I'm watching. Can't remember seeing him the second half!

CDu
10-26-2013, 03:16 PM

Not the best of performances from Cook. Not the worst, either. But he was just nonexistent throughout.

In the first half, he played less than Thornton. In the second half, with the blowout, he didn't play much at all.

But when he was in there, he wasn't doing a whole lot.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Game over. 103-67

HCheek37
10-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Game over. 103-67

Thanks for the updates guys...will be interesting to hear some quotes from Coach if he does a post-game presser. Unfortunately didn't seem to be the high flying show that would have been nice to put on for the recruits but in the end if a Bowie St is their deciding factor then it wasn't meant to be.

For those that were there...how was the crowd? Any chants for the recruits?