PDA

View Full Version : WaPost article on Peyton Manning's comeback - and Coach Cutcliffe's role

JBDuke
10-23-2013, 07:56 AM
This is a long article from the Washington Post's Sally Jenkins. Not my favorite author, but she does turn a quality piece out every so often, including this one. It's about Peyton Manning's long comeback trail from his neck injuries, and what makes it on-topic for DBR is the significant role Duke's Coach Cutcliffe played in Manning's recovery. Cutcliffe comes off really well here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/peyton-manning-on-his-neck-surgeries-rehab--and-how-he-almost-didnt-make-it-back/2013/10/21/8e3b5ca6-3a55-11e3-b7ba-503fb5822c3e_story.html

Selover
10-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Thanks for sharing this. It's virtually impossible to not like, Peyton. I hope he can get another ring or two before he hangs it up!

BD80
10-23-2013, 08:39 AM
This is a long article from the Washington Post's Sally Jenkins. Not my favorite author, but she does turn a quality piece out every so often, including this one. It's about Peyton Manning's long comeback trail from his neck injuries, and what makes it on-topic for DBR is the significant role Duke's Coach Cutcliffe played in Manning's recovery. Cutcliffe comes off really well here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/peyton-manning-on-his-neck-surgeries-rehab--and-how-he-almost-didnt-make-it-back/2013/10/21/8e3b5ca6-3a55-11e3-b7ba-503fb5822c3e_story.html

Great article. Makes the Colts' decision more understandable, and the Broncos' offer seem a bit of a desperate gamble. It is amazing how a nerve can keep a muscle group weak for months and then all of a sudden a switch is flipped and (with work and a lot of soreness) the strength returns on almost a daily basis. That the Broncos offered him a contract before his right arm was strong again was either an act of faith or desperation.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Quite an article which reveals how hard the comeback has been and continues to be. The level of Coach Cutliffe's continuing involvement is striking. Well worth the read!

-bdbd
10-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Positive press for Cut, that's for sure.

Very surprised to see the Post's Sports department say something nice about Duke athletics.

sagegrouse
10-24-2013, 04:56 PM
From the Sally Jenkins article:

The first pass Manning threw post-surgery was to [Colorado Rockies Todd] Helton, [a teammate of Peyton's at Tennessee.] [A]nd they were so concerned with privacy that they went to an underground batting cage beneath the Rockies’ stadium. Helton took up a position about 10 yards away and held out his hands. Manning reared back, and threw.

“The ball nose-dived after about five yards,” Manning says.

It didn’t even make it halfway to Helton before it hit the ground. Helton burst out laughing — he thought Manning was joking.

“C’mon, quit kidding,” he said.

“Man, I wish I was,” Manning said.

Nerve damage is something else. I'd just as soon not find out.

Aside: Sally Jenkins's "gets" as a reporter are amazing. She was allowed, for example, to break the story of Pat Summitt's early onset Alzheimer's disease. Is she that trusted and that good (obviously she's no slouch), or does she get her access from good feelings people have towards her legendary Dad, Dan Jenkins?

Second aside: this lengthy article, two+ newspaper pages in the WaPo, is clearly destined to be a chapter in a book.

sagegrouse

Duvall
10-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Aside: Sally Jenkins's "gets" as a reporter are amazing. She was allowed, for example, to break the story of Pat Summitt's early onset Alzheimer's disease. Is she that trusted and that good (obviously she's no slouch), or does she get her access from good feelings people have towards her legendary Dad, Dan Jenkins?

Well, it helps that she's very gullible, as evidenced by her credulous coverage of Lance Armstrong (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/01/16/lance-armstrong-apologized-to-sally-jenkins/) and Joe Paterno. (http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/top-stories/180848/) It only makes sense to give access to someone that will print whatever you tell them without scrutiny of any kind.

Des Esseintes
10-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Great article. Makes the Colts' decision more understandable, and the Broncos' offer seem a bit of a desperate gamble. It is amazing how a nerve can keep a muscle group weak for months and then all of a sudden a switch is flipped and (with work and a lot of soreness) the strength returns on almost a daily basis. That the Broncos offered him a contract before his right arm was strong again was either an act of faith or desperation.

Well, if it was desperation, much of the NFL was desperate. Kansas City badly wanted Manning that offseason. As did the 49ers, coming off an NFC Championship game season. Miami, too, I think? And these were just the ones to whom Manning gave serious consideration. Teams such as the Jets wanted him and couldn't even get a returned phone call.