PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Assistant Coach to take leave of absence after another DUI

toughbuff1
10-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Dalonte Hill was just arrested for his third DUI in five years. One in Kansas and now two in Maryland. I hope they take away his driver's license for good.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-terps-dalonte-hill-leave-of-absence-20131022,0,265958.story

Here is a Turtle
10-22-2013, 05:19 PM
He needs to go. His recruiting is good but it's hard to sell kids and parents on coming to Maryland when you've had two DUIs since you got there.

vick
10-22-2013, 05:57 PM
He needs to go. His recruiting is good but it's hard to sell kids and parents on coming to Maryland when you've had two DUIs since you got there.

I would be shocked if Maryland loses a single recruit ever because an assistant coach picked up two DUIs.

Henderson
10-22-2013, 07:53 PM
I would be shocked if Maryland loses a single recruit ever because an assistant coach picked up two DUIs.

You're right, because he'll be fired tomorrow.

Oh wait. Just noticed this is about Maryland. I thought we were talking about an institution of higher educaction. Never mind.

Here is a Turtle
10-22-2013, 08:10 PM

Oh wait. Just noticed this is about Maryland. I thought we were talking about an institution of higher educaction. Never mind.

-_______-

At least spell "education" correctly...

He won't be fired tomorrow for PR reasons I assume. The school already announced he would take a leave of absense to get himself straight - to rehab I hope. I would assume that he will be quietly forced to resign or be fired when the legal proceedings are done. He's already been arrested one time for this. If he is found guilty again, it is mandatory jail time in Maryland.

moonpie23
10-22-2013, 08:18 PM
some jail time would make everyone safer.......driving drunk is the same as shooting a gun into a crowd....

Tappan Zee Devil
10-22-2013, 09:06 PM
some jail time would make everyone safer.......driving drunk is the same as shooting a gun into a crowd....

If you go to Scandinavia where alcohol is a huge problem (as it is throughout the Arctic), jail time is mandatory.

OldPhiKap
10-22-2013, 09:18 PM
If you go to Alaska, well -- you are in College Park.

devildeac
10-22-2013, 09:41 PM
If you go to Alaska, well -- you are in College Park.

If you are in Alaska, these are good ones to try:

http://www.alaskanbeer.com/home.html

Couldn't resist:o.

Here is a Turtle
10-22-2013, 09:45 PM
In Maryland, you can only get probation for a DUI once. Afterwards, it's mandatory jail time. Hill used up his probation the last time he got caught with a DUI. No doubt he gets thrown in jail.

As for the recruiting comment I made earlier. The AAU circuit is very vindictive toward Maryland for minor transgressions, especially Baltimore. I would have to dig up more info, but off the top of my head, there is a certain section that is still mad that Maryland fired Bob Wade (high school coach woefully unprepared for college recruiting), even though figuratively he ran the basketball program in the ground. That happened in the 80s. Gary Williams not heavily recruiting in Baltimore and not playing the AAU recruiting game hurt as well. Firing Hill could rub some AAU coaches the wrong way as ridiculous as it sounds. This is why I would be pleasantly surprised if he was fired right away.

ricks68
10-22-2013, 10:02 PM
-_______-

I think it's "edumacation", if I remember correctly. (My son-in-law Journalism college educator taught me that one.:))

ricks

vick
10-22-2013, 10:03 PM

Quick quiz: Dalonte Hill and Bobby Hurley were both arrested for drunk driving, and both arranged pleas which resulted in not being convicted of that charge (in Hill's case probation before judgment, in Hurley's case a plea to a lesser charge). Which one served a suspension?

Answer: Dalonte Hill, who served a two-game suspension. Bobby Hurley played every game of his senior season despite his drunk driving arrest.

This is the point where people usually accuse me of being a troll, despite my Duke degree and lifelong fandom. Somehow, whenever our guys get in legal trouble (Hurley, Casey Sanders) and aren't suspended, well we're sure K's internal discipline is sufficient. But when Hill or Mario Little or whoever isn't thrown out of their institution, well that proves how awful they are. Frankly, I think it embarrasses us when we talk like this. I don't have any idea what K would do with someone who picked up two DUIs, but considering his punishment for a single DUI was less, I'm not sure why everyone's so confident it would be harsh.

Incidentally, this is not remotely a criticism of Coach K. I would think the fact that he doesn't generally go for public punishments (suspensions and the like) and yet the program produces generally upstanding people would lead people to question whether our society's punishment-first mentality--unquestionably the harshest in the developed world--really leads to the results people think. That's probably too PPB, but it is certainly the case that Duke has had players with brushes with the law who receive much less in the way of (publicly-known) punishments than even people at Maryland, no matter how much wishful thinking we have that says otherwise.

ricks68
10-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Quick quiz: Dalonte Hill and Bobby Hurley were both arrested for drunk driving, and both arranged pleas which resulted in not being convicted of that charge (in Hill's case probation before judgment, in Hurley's case a plea to a lesser charge). Which one served a suspension?

Answer: Dalonte Hill, who served a two-game suspension. Bobby Hurley played every game of his senior season despite his drunk driving arrest.

This is the point where people usually accuse me of being a troll, despite my Duke degree and lifelong fandom. Somehow, whenever our guys get in legal trouble (Hurley, Casey Sanders) and aren't suspended, well we're sure K's internal discipline is sufficient. But when Hill or Mario Little or whoever isn't thrown out of their institution, well that proves how awful they are. Frankly, I think it embarrasses us when we talk like this. I don't have any idea what K would do with someone who picked up two DUIs, but considering his punishment for a single DUI was less, I'm not sure why everyone's so confident it would be harsh.

Incidentally, this is not remotely a criticism of Coach K. I would think the fact that he doesn't generally go for public punishments (suspensions and the like) and yet the program produces generally upstanding people would lead people to question whether our society's punishment-first mentality--unquestionably the harshest in the developed world--really leads to the results people think. That's probably too PPB, but it is certainly the case that Duke has had players with brushes with the law who receive much less in the way of (publicly-known) punishments than even people at Maryland, no matter how much wishful thinking we have that says otherwise.

Gee, I guess whatever Coach K must have done, must have worked then, didn't it? And, isn't that supposed to be the idea, isn't it?

Whatever the guy down the road in Hell (or some other coaches) did, can't say that, can they? Bazinga!!

(Just thought I'd point that out. Not criticizing what you said.)

ricks

toughbuff1
10-22-2013, 10:30 PM

A couple points. First of all, Hurley's DUI was 20 years ago. I think peoples perceptions have probably changed in the last twenty years. If one of our current players got a DUI I would bet Coach K would suspend him. Also, this was not Hill's first DUI, but his third. I'm willing to give a little leeway to someone who makes a stupid mistake, I mean people are human, but when that mistake is repeated multiple times then there is a big problem. Hill deserves to go to jail, and while in jail I hope he takes his free time to figure out how to get better.

vick
10-22-2013, 10:42 PM
A couple points. First of all, Hurley's DUI was 20 years ago. I think peoples perceptions have probably changed in the last twenty years. If one of our current players got a DUI I would bet Coach K would suspend him. Also, this was not Hill's first DUI, but his third. I'm willing to give a little leeway to someone who makes a stupid mistake, I mean people are human, but when that mistake is repeated multiple times then there is a big problem. Hill deserves to go to jail, and while in jail I hope he takes his free time to figure out how to get better.

I think it's fairly likely he would now too, though I doubt it would be that severe on a first offense. Look, I'd be fine with a fairly lengthy suspension here--maybe a firing, but that's probably too much, but certainly the semester or even the season wouldn't be out of line IMO. I just find the absolute certainty so many fans have that Duke's discipline is significantly more stringent* than other programs (and furthermore, that this is necessarily good--as ricks68 pointed out, rightly to me, whatever Duke does seems to work) to be baffling and not really based on any actual evidence. That's my last word on this matter since it's not really provable because you can always parse incidents in such a way as to make them not comparable.

* I'm referring to things that are publicly known such as suspensions and dismissals; I'm aware that reporters can know about internal discipline and the like.

Henderson
10-22-2013, 11:28 PM
-_______-

Good substantive comment. I hope when you are 54 and (may it never happen) have the bad luck to develop Parkinson's, you will appreciate what a challenge a touch screen presents.

brevity
10-23-2013, 12:49 AM
In Maryland, you can only get probation for a DUI once. Afterwards, it's mandatory jail time. Hill used up his probation the last time he got caught with a DUI. No doubt he gets thrown in jail.

I lived in a state where a 3rd arrest for DUI (with two previous convictions within a certain period of time) brought an automatic felony charge. Unfortunately for the driving public, it doesn't look like any of that applies here. I can't tell whether the Kansas arrest in 2008 or the Maryland arrest in 2012 resulted in convictions for DUI or lesser charges. I don't know what would constitute a felony DUI in Maryland anyway, or if a Kansas conviction would even be a factor to a Maryland prosecutor.

I do know that three DUI incidents for a public figure at the ripe old age of 34 is alarming.

Here is a Turtle
10-23-2013, 04:20 AM
I lived in a state where a 3rd arrest for DUI (with two previous convictions within a certain period of time) brought an automatic felony charge. Unfortunately for the driving public, it doesn't look like any of that applies here. I can't tell whether the Kansas arrest in 2008 or the Maryland arrest in 2012 resulted in convictions for DUI or lesser charges. I don't know what would constitute a felony DUI in Maryland anyway, or if a Kansas conviction would even be a factor to a Maryland prosecutor.

I do know that three DUI incidents for a public figure at the ripe old age of 34 is alarming.

Multiple DUI arrests can lead to a felony in Maryland, but there is no set number on how many. Usually though, it's a felony if a driver gets in an automotive accident, criminal speeding, or BAC of .20% or higher. The laws aren't strict enough clearly. It is very hard to get a felony charge for DUI in the state of Maryland. However, he will have to spend time in jail (probably a weekend, maybe a week) and get a 120 day license suspension.

Also, I don't think the Kansas conviction counted toward his number in Maryland, and he plead guilty and got probation in 2012.

royalblue
10-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Should we ask Dean how to deal with the issue?
I guess not as he has had less than a desired result with Phil Ford. The standard should be high on Player and Coach but a Coach has less room for more mistakes in my opinion because of the leadership he should be giving to the team.

toughbuff1
11-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Well, Dalonte Hill quietly resigned from the team, and they hired Juan Dixon as a special assistant.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-terps-basketball-juan-dixon-dalonte-hill-dustin-clark-20131127,0,7640382.story

moonpie23
11-27-2013, 03:17 PM
"improper equipment"……..:rolleyes: