PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke at Virginia Tech Pre-Game and In-Game

loran16
10-22-2013, 11:46 AM
The line is VaTech by 13. To give a quick perspective of how this game is likely to go, Duke is ranked #40 overall, and #19 on offense by one of Football Outsiders' (a Football advanced stats site) rankings system.

VaTech is #1 on Defense in those same rankings. Expect a lot more frustration from the offense, who must absolutely avoid turnovers.

killerleft
10-22-2013, 01:05 PM
The line is VaTech by 13. To give a quick perspective of how this game is likely to go, Duke is ranked #40 overall, and #19 on offense by one of Football Outsiders' (a Football advanced stats site) rankings system.

VaTech is #1 on Defense in those same rankings. Expect a lot more frustration from the offense, who must absolutely avoid turnovers.

I don't worry about betting lines, but if Duke has ever gone into a tough away game with more serious mojo behind them than this week, it must have been long ago. I have a co-worker who's going to the game, and I wish I could join her. I'm spoiling for a fight. This time, though, a good start is a must.

Go, Devils, Go!!

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2013, 01:07 PM
The line seems fair, and shows that Duke is not considered a pushover in this game. Looks like it will be a chilly day in Blacksburg, perfect football weather. The game should end under the lights. I have no prediction on win vs loss, but I do predict we play tough and close.

loran16
10-22-2013, 01:19 PM
I don't worry about betting lines, but if Duke has ever gone into a tough away game with more serious mojo behind them than this week, it must have been long ago. I have a co-worker who's going to the game, and I wish I could join her. I'm spoiling for a fight. This time, though, a good start is a must.

Go, Devils, Go!!

I'd argue it was last year - Duke was 5-1 facing a VaTech team seemingly down on its luck, and managed to go up 20-0. Course we know how that ended.

killerleft
10-22-2013, 01:32 PM
I'd argue it was last year - Duke was 5-1 facing a VaTech team seemingly down on its luck, and managed to go up 20-0. Course we know how that ended.

Point taken, but I did say AWAY game. Let's hope we're a bit more mature, and better, like Coach Cut says. The comeback against UVA may give us a little added confidence. Perhaps it's just time to really believe we can hang with those guys. Ozzie! Help!!!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
10-22-2013, 01:34 PM
I'll be there on Saturday. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif I wish it was going to be warmer. I'm not going to let them lose this game. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif So take Duke and the points, even though we don't need them. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

budwom
10-22-2013, 01:39 PM
May I borrow some of your meds, Ozzie?

loran16
10-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Point taken, but I did say AWAY game. Let's hope we're a bit more mature, and better, like Coach Cut says. The comeback against UVA may give us a little added confidence. Perhaps it's just time to really believe we can hang with those guys. Ozzie! Help!!!!!

We were on the road last year too :-/ Back to back years of VT and Wake on the road for some reason.

Bob Green
10-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Back to back years of VT and Wake on the road for some reason.

The joys of league expansion.

DukeSean
10-22-2013, 02:17 PM
I'd like to see which Duke defense shows up for this one. VT's offense isn't that good, so if we can negate them with a good defensive performance, that'll just give us more chances to crack that VT defense. Fall behind like we did against UVA and I don't think we can manage such a comeback.

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2013, 03:06 PM
I'll be there on Saturday. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif I wish it was going to be warmer. I'm not going to let them lose this game. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif So take Duke and the points, even though we don't need them. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif
Awesome! I went a few years ago when we got completely pasted, but Lane stadium was still an amazing place to see a football game. Hopefully you will see more smiling faces in Duke section than we did that day.

Bob Green
10-22-2013, 03:39 PM
At the risk of repeating myself, we will need to establish the running game in order to ensure the talented Virginia Tech defense cannot zero in on stopping our passing game. Offensive balance is a team strength this season so we should play to our strength. We managed 22 yards rushing in 2012. A much, much better performance will be needed this Saturday.

jimsumner
10-22-2013, 04:00 PM
We were on the road last year too :-/ Back to back years of VT and Wake on the road for some reason.

Duke also played Miami at home last year.

Two new teams messed up the schedule pattern. For lots of teams.

loran16
10-23-2013, 11:52 AM
At the risk of repeating myself, we will need to establish the running game in order to ensure the talented Virginia Tech defense cannot zero in on stopping our passing game. Offensive balance is a team strength this season so we should play to our strength. We managed 22 yards rushing in 2012. A much, much better performance will be needed this Saturday.

Well Vt is only ranked #11 in Rushing D by football outsiders, compared to #3 in passing D (#1 overall). Sooo in theory it's possible. In practice, only GT has managed to crack over 3 yards per carry against VT, and even there, only 3.1 YPC was hardly a good #.

This is going to be tough - really our hopes more depend upon the d handling VT's weakness - their merely average offense. If they can play like they did during the Asack game, we have a shot.

Bob Green
10-24-2013, 03:52 PM
PROBABLE
WR Johnell Barnes (hand)
LB Kyler Brown (leg)
CB Bryon Fields (upper body)

OUT
CB Jared Boyd (leg)
S Dwayne Norman (leg)
QB Thomas Sirk (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON
OT Tanner Stone (leg)
DT Jamal Wallace (leg)

So the report contains zero surprises, which is refreshing. Kyler Brown and Bryon Fields being probable is good news. I'm not sure what Johnell Barnes disciplinary status is but at last report he was suspended indefinitely.

-bdbd
10-24-2013, 04:14 PM
This seems to be a match-up of strength on strength, and weakness on weakness.

VPI's offense could only manage about 20 points against a Pitt D that yielded 56 to Duke.

This will, however, probably be the soutest test our Offense will face all season. Good time to have a breakout effort guys!

Fortunately this VPI Offense isn't likely to hang 40+ on us.

I see it as a great OPPORTUNITY for a "signature" win for our program. We're due to beat a ranked team!

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-24-2013, 04:24 PM
PROBABLE
WR Johnell Barnes (hand)
LB Kyler Brown (leg)
CB Bryon Fields (upper body)

OUT
CB Jared Boyd (leg)
S Dwayne Norman (leg)
QB Thomas Sirk (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON
OT Tanner Stone (leg)
DT Jamal Wallace (leg)

So the report contains zero surprises, which is refreshing. Kyler Brown and Bryon Fields being probable is good news. I'm not sure what Johnell Barnes disciplinary status is but at last report he was suspended indefinitely.
Johnell's situation is not clear. He's been dressed out for the past two games. Usually those who are suspended aren't in uniform complete with pads..... and certainly not at an away game.

wilko
10-24-2013, 07:41 PM
This seems to be a match-up of strength on strength, and weakness on weakness.
VPI's offense could only manage about 20 points against a Pitt D that yielded 56 to Duke.
This will, however, probably be the soutest test our Offense will face all season. Good time to have a breakout effort guys!
Fortunately this VPI Offense isn't likely to hang 40+ on us. I see it as a great OPPORTUNITY for a "signature" win for our program. We're due to beat a ranked team!

I want so VERY much for you to be 100% right. However, I am afraid to think about it too hard.
I've been hopeful in the past about such things and been disappointed too often.

Indoor66
10-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Will someone please remind me of the time of the game?

Bob Green
10-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Will someone please remind me of the time of the game?

3:30 EDT on ESPNU

Indoor66
10-24-2013, 08:16 PM
3:30 EDT on ESPNU

Thank you, Bob. I had 12:30 in my head but then thought I was wrong and got myself totally confused. That happens more often now! :p:cool:

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Thank you, Bob. I had 12:30 in my head but then thought I was wrong and got myself totally confused. That happens more often now! :p:cool:
I don't trust my memory any more! I use GoDuke.com because it's up to date with game times and TV coverage. http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22666

throatybeard
10-24-2013, 08:28 PM

I think the main thing we need to do is make sure Asack gets enough designed runs for the quarterback.

DukeHLM'13
10-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Hopefully you will see more smiling faces in Duke section than we did that day.

I'm gonna be there with 5 other 2013 grads, so you won't be alone! The group of us had a great time at UVA last weekend and we're looking for a repeat performance this weekend.

ForkFondler
10-24-2013, 09:03 PM
I think the main thing we need to do is make sure Asack gets enough designed runs for the quarterback.

His name is Connette now.

OldPhiKap
10-25-2013, 12:49 AM

My daughter would call this "Throwback Thursday"

Bob Green
10-25-2013, 05:03 AM
Here is a preview from TechSideline.com :

http://virginiatech.sportswar.com/free-content/2013/10/24/duke-preview-and-rostercard/

However, what makes Duke’s offense so dangerous this year is their running game. The Blue Devils are averaging 182.7 yards per game on the ground, and their balanced approaching is helping their passing game as well.

I'll post links to additional previews as they pop up in all the normal places today.

OldPhiKap
10-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Interesting perspective, thanks. I think the big question is: have we grown towards getting better? No stat for that.

Pretty thorough analysis. I think if we get a good start to the game (as opposed to last week), the longer we hang around or actually lead the tighter VT will start to play.

LGD!

davekay1971
10-25-2013, 08:41 AM
The balance in our offense this year is fantastic. Up against a very athletic, very good defense like VT has, our offensive balance and skill will be tested.

The front page headline that a win would be huge is an understatement. For Duke to go to VT and seal bowl eligibility this early in the season against a team that good would be monumental for this season and this program.

CameronBornAndBred
10-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Game weather is looking like sunny and chilly, highs in the upper 50's and obviously dropping as the lights come on. It will be below freezing Saturday night, so I expect in the 40's by the time we win. ;)

budwom
10-25-2013, 09:13 AM
VT is a team which generally controls the line of scrimmage against us when they're on defense ...I'd like to see us play well and get something
going with our running game. It won't be easy.

Reilly
10-25-2013, 09:59 AM
... I expect in the 40's by the time we win. ;)

And hell will be freezing over, per Hokie fans.

What will the 6-2 Devils be ranked after knocking off VT? # 23, I say ...

loran16
10-25-2013, 10:08 AM

It is the fifth year anniversary of the Asack game. If Boone hadn't come back yet, the resultant Connette start might've given me deja vu (although Cut would trust BC to pass much more than Asack!)

Wander
10-25-2013, 10:17 AM

It is the fifth year anniversary of the Asack game. If Boone hadn't come back yet, the resultant Connette start might've given me deja vu (although Cut would trust BC to pass much more than Asack!)

WAIT. Did we really manage to go that entire Thad Lewis in the NFL thread without making a joke about him being too short to play quarterback?

PDDuke85
10-25-2013, 10:39 AM
WAIT. Did we really manage to go that entire Thad Lewis in the NFL thread without making a joke about him being too short to play quarterback?

He's OK for the NFL, just too short for college ball.

Bob Green
10-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Virginia Tech has a couple of defensive backs who are questionable for the game due to a groin injury and a concussion:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/10/know-the-opponent-virginia-tech-hokies-2/

This could be a boost to our passing game. I'm an old fashion run to set-up the play action pass guy; however, against VT's tough defense we may have to achieve success passing the ball in order to open up the running lanes. Regardless the strategy selected, I believe we must ultimately achieve success running the ball in order to win.

sagegrouse
10-25-2013, 11:43 AM

Seriously, against Virginia Tech and its bloody-minded coach Frank Beamer, you better start with two healthy QBs. Otherwise, he will send his goons to rack up roughing penalty after roughing penalty till your guy is concussed out of the game. He did that with Thad in Durham one year -- it took four roughing penalties before he got his wish.

I would rather beat Beamer than Carolina, although wins over both would send me into ecstasy.

sagegrouse

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Virginia Tech has a couple of defensive backs who are questionable for the game due to a groin injury and a concussion:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/10/know-the-opponent-virginia-tech-hokies-2/

This could be a boost to our passing game. I'm an old fashion run to set-up the play action pass guy; however, against VT's tough defense we may have to achieve success passing the ball in order to open up the running lanes. Regardless the strategy selected, I believe we must ultimately achieve success running the ball in order to win.

I concur. Realistic, but optimistic.

A major key will be for our guys, offense and defense, to establish themselves early and get into a good rhythm. If they do that and put on a second half like the recent trends in play, this could be another history making game.;)

Bob Green
10-25-2013, 11:47 AM
This link is from the main page, but I'm posting it in case some folks are jumping straight to the forums because no one should miss this excellent Al Featherston article:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2013/10/25/5027270/looking-for-a-milestone-win

The Hokies' coach pointed out that Connette's touchdown pass to Deaver was a turning point in the Virginia game. He said it should serve as a warning not to assume that Connette is going to run … or Boone is going to throw.

"I think you defend the whole deal," Beamer said. "The naked last week was a big, big play in that ballgame. That sets up those kinds of plays if you're not careful over there on defense."

sagegrouse
10-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Seriously, against Virginia Tech and its bloody-minded coach Frank Beamer, you better start with two healthy QBs. Otherwise, he will send his goons to rack up roughing penalty after roughing penalty till your guy is concussed out of the game. He did that with Thad in Durham one year -- it took four roughing penalties before he got his wish.

I would rather beat Beamer than Carolina, although wins over both would send me into ecstasy.

sagegrouse

Reilly wrote a PM to correct me. The game was in Blacksburg, and it was 2006. As I recall, VT's offense was somewhat suspect, so Beamer devoted his player's attention to getting Lewis out of the game. From the game recap:

"There was some good stuff out there, but some stuff we have to work on," Beamer said, listing three 15-yard penalties and two blocked extra points among them.

"To come out and allow one touchdown in three games says a lot about our defense, and hopefully gives our offense confidence to go out and play with confidence because they know they have a good defense on their side," rover Aaron Rouse said.

Rouse was called for two of the three 15-yard flags, including one when he leveled Duke quarterback Thaddeus Lewis, knocking him from the game with a concussion.

Rouse said he didn't think the hit was late, but replays showed it was.

"I take full responsibility for my actions," he said. "I hope he's all right."

In all, Duke quarterbacks were 8-for-14 for 81 yards and were sacked eight times.

"I'm lucky to come out in one piece," backup QB Marcus Jones said.

Yeah, you ***holes! Thad received three roughing infractions in his first six passes before he was forced from the game. Poor Marcus Jones had zero experience or chance. I want Frank Beamer to rot in hell!

sagegrouse

allenmurray
10-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Reilly wrote a PM to correct me. The game was in Blacksburg, and it was 2006. As I recall, VT's offense was somewhat suspect, so Beamer devoted his player's attention to getting Lewis out of the game. From the game recap:

Yeah, you ***holes! Thad received three roughing infractions in his first six passes before he was forced from the game. Poor Marcus Jones had zero experience or chance. I want Frank Beamer to rot in hell!

sagegrouse

Beamer is a coach who will intentionally injure a player in order to win a football game. Unfortunately he is not the only one. It is the price we play to watch a barbaric sport. As I've said before, I love to watch it, but only if I don't think about it too much. Football is currently played with players of great strength and speed and rules that don't really discourage ill intent (big freakin' deal, many coaches will trade a a 15 yard penalty to eliminate a team's star player). Given that we know that any game carries the potential for a life-changing injury.

MarkD83
10-25-2013, 12:57 PM

I will also be there but will be sitting with my son in the VT student section. I will be the one in blue in the midst of all of the orange. When Duke wins I might need some help getting out of the stadium so please come by and help me out.

BTW, I am going to be at my son's tailgate but would not mind stopping by a Duke tailgate just to meet everyone and put faces with DBR names.

Mark

johnb
10-25-2013, 01:13 PM

sagegrouse

That game in 2006 led me to dislike VaTech in football and then watch for (and see) similarly dirty play from Greenberg's basketball team; interestingly, their football team angled for injuries despite their talent edge, while the basketball team may have figured physical intimidation was the only way to stay close.

I was, however, impressed by their aforementioned preview of the upcoming game (http://virginiatech.sportswar.com/free-content/2013/10/24/duke-preview-and-rostercard/).

My favorite line: "Not bad for a guy (Cockrell) whose only other offers were from small-time football programs like Liberty and UVA."

OZZIE4DUKE
10-25-2013, 01:29 PM
I will also be there but will be sitting with my son in the VT student section. I will be the one in blue in the midst of all of the orange. When Duke wins I might need some help getting out of the stadium so please come by and help me out.

BTW, I am going to be at my son's tailgate but would not mind stopping by a Duke tailgate just to meet everyone and put faces with DBR names.

Mark

We'll be tailgating with some VT fans who are friends of our friends. We are joining their tailgate. I know it won't live up to TB'CC standards, but it will still be fun. :cool: We are sitting in the Duke section, tickets procured through the Duke ticket office.http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

CDu
10-25-2013, 04:12 PM

sagegrouse

The irony is that Tech wasn't even penalized for the blatant late hit to the head that knocked Lewis out of the game.

sagegrouse
10-25-2013, 05:12 PM
The irony is that Tech wasn't even penalized for the blatant late hit to the head that knocked Lewis out of the game.

Then it should have been four roughing penalties against our QB. Lovely, lovely....

sage

CameronBornAndBred
10-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Thad got his head knocked off on Sunday and still win. Beamer prepped him well! I would love to see a montage of that game aired tomorrow. Sick way to play football.

Reilly
10-25-2013, 10:33 PM

VT/Rouse was penalized. Rouse should have been prosecuted, in my opinion. Seriously.

Begin watching at the 57 minute mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPcJ_JW6iHk

devildeac
10-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Look to see Juwan Thompson at LB tomorrow. Just a hunch;).

Reilly
10-26-2013, 04:02 AM
Look to see Juwan Thompson at LB tomorrow. Just a hunch;).

He's been playing lights out on special teams.

What's the story on CJ France ... not on the injury report but gets little time seemingly due to injury(?).

devildeac
10-26-2013, 06:09 AM
He's been playing lights out on special teams.

What's the story on CJ France ... not on the injury report but gets little time seemingly due to injury(?).

Don't know the answer to that at this time but will try to find out this AM from my source;). Your guess sounds correct about injury. IIRC, he has been on the injured reports often this year.

budwom
10-26-2013, 09:25 AM
I've been told that France has a nagging injury which has to be nursed along...hopefully he plays some...

devildeac
10-26-2013, 09:41 AM
I've been told that France has a nagging injury which has to be nursed along...hopefully he plays some...

Not surprising to hear that as many times as he's been on the injured list this year.

devildeac
10-26-2013, 09:43 AM
You put your tight end in.
You put your flanker out.
You put your QB in.
And you shake them all about.
You beat the Hokie-Pokies
And you turn them all around.
That's what it's all about.

Go Devils!

Originally sent to OPK as a PM.

peloton
10-26-2013, 12:42 PM
...is starting to get some respect and attention. The only time I might ever pickup a USA Today is when we're on the road and the family and I are in Asheville for a niece's wedding. Terrible timing on the soon to be newlyweds' part though as I'll be able to see almost none of the Duke/VT game today...will be sure to mention that to them afterwards ;). Yesterday's sports section has a couple of paragraphs on Duke (and specifically the Hokies game) in a column titled 'Something to Prove'. After talking about the Texas Tech program (and before elaborating on the other 9 teams), the last line said, "Here are nine other teams with something to prove this weekend:" The comments regarding Duke are as follows...

"As the calendar turns to late October, things are getting excited around Durham, NC - and not just because of hoops. David Cutcliffe's football Blue Devils are in pursuit of their second consecutive bowl game, which would be a program first. No 19 Virginia Tech is a pretty big challenge, but if the Blue Devils achieve bowl eligibility Saturday, they could start aiming higher."

Obviously, nothing revelatory here (especially to Duke fans) but nevertheless it's great to see Duke football mentioned in a national publication in a positive light. These are great times to be a Duke football fan; I think we can all agree on that. That said, let's garner much more respect (and certainly attention) by beating the Hokies in Blacksburg today. Let's go Duke!

killerleft
10-26-2013, 02:28 PM
You put your tight end in.
You put your flanker out.
You put your QB in.
And you shake them all about.
You beat the Hokie-Pokies
And you turn them all around.
That's what it's all about.

Go Devils!

Originally sent to OPK as a PM.

LOL, system prevents sporkle. It would be nice, if someone were to ask us at about seven this evening, "Have you driven a Beamer lately?", if we could answer, "Why yes, actually... yes, we have!"

The bowl game is gravy. If we want real respect we have to eventually win a game such as today's. Go Duke!

DownEastDevil
10-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Boone starting slow again. Every throw has been too long!

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Boone with the INT but great stand by our D to stop VT on 4th and 11 from our 31. Still 0-0.

jimsumner
10-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Boone continues to struggle with accuracy early. It's windy. But still.

ChrisP
10-26-2013, 03:59 PM
I know this is a big game but come ON guys! Cut out the stupid penalties!!! How do you manage to get a delay of game right after you just had a false start penalty? Seriously? Boone needs to settle down. I feel ok about our D thus far, but now it's the offense that's letting us down. And yeah, I know VT has a great D but honestly, Boone has just been off - we've had several chances to pick up some significant yardage with guys open that Boone just missed (badly).

Hope we can calm down and just play soon.

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 03:59 PM
VT defense living up to its reputation, Boone is 1-6 for 13 yds and 1 INT. Also shot ourselves in the foot with 3 penalties for 15 yds on the last drive.

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 04:01 PM
INT by DUKE! Garret Paterson with the pick! Knockin on the door of the VT red zone!

ChrisP
10-26-2013, 04:04 PM
It was a nice pick but how in the world did Patterson manage to run straight into the ONE VT player that could have possibly tackle him short of the 20 yard line? And then another terrible throw by Boone :(

DownEastDevil
Boone is really bad right now!!

duke09hms
Ugh INT by VT! And Boone gives it right back in the VT red zone. Cmon defense, we gonna need you today

CDu
10-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Man, VT has looked vulnerable so far, but we keep letting them off the hook. Boone needs to settle down. He's had a nightmare start.

jimsumner
10-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Boone has replicated last week's slow start. Can he replicate the turn around?

killerleft
10-26-2013, 04:10 PM
0-0 after one quarter. Gotta generate offense. Still, on even terms.

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 04:11 PM
uh oh

CDu
Yikes, Boone looks bad. Just missing open receivers.

JBDuke
Boone long again on a potential TD pass. <sigh>

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Can't find a link to watch the game. Are Boone's bad passes due to pressure or inaccuracy? Or both?

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Boone has replicated last week's slow start. Can he replicate the turn around?

I choose to look for the turn around instead of calling for the sky to fall. Anthony's still coming back from that injury. At least field position has been good for us.

Any word on Ross Cockrell's ankle?

ChrisP
10-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Might be time to give Connette a try. Normally, I think Boone is the more accurate passer but...um not so much today. And he's had time - O-line has been really solid, I think but Boone keeps missing open receivers. Ugh, I seriously think we could be up 14-0 if Boone could have just completed a couple more passes. Both times he missed Crowder deep, Jamison had at least 2 steps on his man and nothing but grass between him and the endzone :(

davekay1971
10-26-2013, 04:15 PM
I hate to pick n individuals in a team game like football...but this is on Boone right now. He's simply missing open looks. He's getting time and his receivers are creating space. He's just missing them.

Great performance by our D so far. Hope they can keep it even until Boone settles down.

throatybeard
10-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Does Zack Asack have any eligibility left?

boudreau
10-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Can't find a link to watch the game. Are Boone's bad passes due to pressure or inaccuracy? Or both?

You can watch the game online here http://www.justin.tv/vtsports247#/w/7280322464/20

Password is VT2013

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Hopefully without jinxing it, Logan Thomas has been just as bad as Boone so far. That and our defense are keeping us in the game. Don't know how long it will last though, so our offense has to come alive before theirs does. Multiple golden opportunities here in the first half.

JBDuke
10-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Interesting - neither team has converted a 3rd down yet - a combined 0-9.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Count our blessings and work with that field position!

Time for our running game to begin to loosen up that VT defense.

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Martin with a 51yd FG!!

On the road against #14 VT, that'll build his confidence fo sho!

killerleft
10-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Ross Martin 51-yd. field goal, 3 - zip Duke!

ChrisP
10-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Great kick by Martin! I was afraid we were too far out to even try the FG. Glad to get points on the board. But...another great opportunity (in terms of field position) squandered. I am starting to think we might actually have a chance today, but the more opportunities we miss, the less confident I become. Ondijo probably should have had a pick 6 on VT's last possession but couldn't hang on. Plus, we had that other INT that set us up in great field position and then we promptly coughed it up to VT again without even a chance at a FG. Gotta get a bit more focused here...

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Cockrell preserves the lead with an endzone INT!

Duke MVP so far: Logan Thomas 2ints, 0TDs
VT MVP so far: Anthony Boone 2ints, 0TDs

cmon offense, turn it around!

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 04:42 PM
come on offense do something!

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 04:43 PM
SHAQ POWELL!!

40+ yd reception out of backfield!

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Shaq attack!

Powell rumbles for mighty gain.

killerleft
10-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Big INT for Ross Cockrell! Hope that ankle's all right! And Boone finally steps into one to Crowder. On the move!

JasonEvans
10-26-2013, 04:45 PM
How many tackles did Shaq break on that run? 4?

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 04:45 PM
gotta be kidding me, Boone with his 3rd int

wasting GOLDEN opportunity to pull an upset

CDu
10-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Oh, Boone. Hopefully you have a better second half, because your first half couldn't have been much worse.

ChrisP
That ball was not really tipped - Boone threw it RIGHT into the VT guy's facemask!!! Come ON man!!!!!!!

throatybeard
gotta be kidding me, Boone with his 3rd int

wasting GOLDEN opportunity to pull an upset

That pass wouldn't have been tipped if he were taller.

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Why no Connette?

grossbus
10-26-2013, 04:49 PM
That ball was not really tipped - Boone threw it RIGHT into the VT guy's facemask!!! Come ON man!!!!!!!

And the defender didn't even jump.

c'mon man

Wander
10-26-2013, 04:51 PM
That pass wouldn't have been tipped if he were taller.

Let us never forget November 22nd, 2008. As awful as the offense has looked today... we have nearly quadruple the passing yardage in the first half as we did all game on that fateful day.

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Our defense is playing out of their mind! Least we're getting good CLEAN hits on Thomas. Cmon Boone, you can do it.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Whew!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2013, 04:52 PM
I know there have been mistakes, but how about a BIG SHOUT OUT to that Duke D???

0 pts in the first half from VaTech.

Amazing.

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 04:53 PM
High enough and long enough Hokie field goal attempt doinks off the upright.

JasonEvans
10-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Our defense is playing out of their mind! Least we're getting good CLEAN hits on Thomas. Cmon Boone, you can do it.

If this D had played for even 5 minutes against Pitt we'd be 6-1 right now and this game would be nationally televised on ABC. Ha!

-Jason "leading 3-0 at half, could be better but could be a lot worse too!" Evans

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Va Tech has Duke-itis!! High enough and long enough Hokie field goal attempt doinks off the upright.

Haha just thinking that! TD passes called back from penalty.

Cmon DUKE!

GGLC
10-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Great D so far. The offense (well, Boone) has been supremely frustrating -- every time I turn the TV back on, he throws an interception. Actually, I turned it on in time to see the 40-yard run and the facemask penalty take us within the red zone, and THEN I saw the interception. I think I'll just follow online in the second half.

CDu
10-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Well, the bad news is that our offense (more specifically our QB) has looked completely awful for the first half. The good news is that we are leading at the half by 6. Crazy.

duke4ever19
It's Good!

grossbus
I missed the start of the game. Who gets the ball after the half?

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Ross Martin offensive MVP!!

51 and 53 yd FGs!!

Best time ever to get back in stride. Let's go DUKE!!

JasonEvans
-Jason "leading 3-0 at half, could be better but could be a lot worse too!" Evans

Make that 6-0. Niiice!

Devil in the Blue Dress
Ross Martin does it again.

As for the imperfections, I really don't give a flip as long as Duke is ahead!;)

JBDuke

Actually, I prefer a 6-0 lead, thank you.

killerleft
10-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Great field goal defense! Time for those magic halftime adjustments, coaches. Just pull Boone's head out of ... Wait, 3 more from Martin, this time from 53 yards! Seriously, Boone should come around, things are looking pretty good for a fourth quarter team! 6-0.

duke4ever19
10-26-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm just glad we aren't playing Florida St. They are absolutely terrifying on both sides of the ball.

roywhite
10-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Love the fight of this Duke team. They respond well to adversity.

Boone was slightly less awful toward the end of the 2nd quarter; let's hope he settles down.

This is a winnable game, but certainly not easy.

GGLC
10-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Maybe the team didn't want to get out to too big of a lead in the first half, given what happened last year.

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Here we go! Let's go DUKE!!!
VT to start the half, come on defense.

killerleft
10-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Hokies 3rd and 10, great chance to make a big play! C'mon, DEFENSE!

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Hokies 3rd and 10, great chance to make a big play! C'mon, DEFENSE!

Now 4th and inches ... here we go!

75Crazie
Big stop! Come on O!

jimsumner
Wow.

Hopefully, Boone got some mojo on that last drive and Duke can extend lead.

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 05:30 PM
VT STOPPED ON 4TH DOWN!!!!!

Let's GO OFFENSE!!!

PDDuke85
Good D stand and a terrible 4th and inches call. Time for the offense to perform

killerleft
Big stop, YES! Offense, please. I just about hurt myself trying to twist the runner backwards!

moonpie23
10-26-2013, 05:31 PM
awesome stop………AWESOME…..

come on boone, dial it in…..

Wander
10-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Sorta clever for the announcer to notice the wristband thing on 4th down. I wonder if any of the Duke players/coaches picked up on that too?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Wait... we're too close for a FG!!! Back up!

PDDuke85
10-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Love me some 3rd quarter

cape cod
10-26-2013, 05:39 PM
I can't believe my eyes. GO DUKE!

nyesq83
Well if Boone can't throw I guess he can run. Hope they don't try to injure him...

pfrduke
That was a fantastic block by Jela Duncan on the end. Sealed off the gaping hole for Boone to run through.

grossbus
Nice

Drive!

killerleft
10-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Why didn't Asack do that? He's not Boone, and he didn't have the firepower with him. Beautifully called drive. 13-zip!

killerleft
10-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Mr. Cash! Great play all around.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Uh.... holy moly.

Is this real life?

Dukehky
10-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Come on duke!!!! Let's go get this f-ing win!!!!

grossbus
10-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Why the passes???

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 05:54 PM
VT fans are gonna be angry if this is overturned.

Make that the players, too.

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 05:57 PM
DId we just give up a 50+ yd bomb after forcing them to start at their 1?

75Crazie
10-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Ouch! Huge, huge momentum changer.

killerleft
10-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Big call at the one, bigger completion. We're still in charge, though, if we'll keep defending.

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Shoulda known they'd try a long pass on that first play, caught the D off guard.

PDDuke85
10-26-2013, 06:00 PM
What say you, offense?

jipops
10-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Defense looks worn down

killerleft
10-26-2013, 06:02 PM
What say you, offense?

Yep, game's still ours if we execute well. C'mon, guys!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Gut check time.

Are we Wake Forest?

What we need now is a long, sustained drive with ANY POINTS. Let our D get some well earned rest, make it a two score game, and then let it play out.

Dukehky
10-26-2013, 06:03 PM
That pass play was just like Matt Ryan's throw to Roddy White against the Panthers last year... I had a horrible flashback.

Boone, you wanna be Ace, it's time to make some throws buddy.

jipops
10-26-2013, 06:10 PM
That possession was awful.

wilson
10-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Boone has had a bad game today; there's no two ways about it. VA Tech's D deserves some credit, but even when he's had time and space to make a play, Boone hasn't stepped up.

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 06:12 PM
As feared, that call on the one yard line woke up the fans, and VT's offense

Terrible call on the VT offsides, terrible play by Anthony.

Can the D hold now?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Gut check time.

Are we Wake Forest?

What we need now is a long, sustained drive with ANY POINTS. Let our D get some well earned rest, make it a two score game, and then let it play out.

Orrrr... we could have a very short drive where we move backwards and give them great field position.

Come on D! Make it count!

killerleft
Well. Good punt and coverage, but we gotta step up if we want that signature win! Can somebodies make the big play? GO DUKE!

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Come on special team, offensive coaches, offense, execute!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Ahem, okay. Here we go again.

We need a sustained drive that ends in points!

Go Duke!

Sixthman
10-26-2013, 06:23 PM
A long touchdown drive now wins this game. Let's go Duke.

throatybeard
10-26-2013, 06:24 PM
The last time Duke beat a ranked team on the road, I was negative five years old.

moonpie23
10-26-2013, 06:27 PM
starting to head south… :(

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Come on... don't let the wheels fall off!!

Go Duke

duke09hms
Not looking good folks. Failing to cash in on all those early opportunities killed us.

Boone w/ 4 INTs, ugh.

davekay1971
Need to settle down. Our team playing very nervous.

nyesq83
Forced.

IBleedBlue
10-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Is there a broadcast link the people up here in great white north can watch on?

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 06:31 PM
On the bright side, we'll have a nice pair of CBs over the next few years, seeing as Fields and Borders are both freshmen.

They're on the Cockrell development plan.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Come on..... Hold em to a fg!!! Control your own destiny

nyesq83
10-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Do something good!

killerleft
10-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Great field goal defense again! C'mon, Blue Devils! Win it!

Spencer's Daddy
is there a broadcast link the people up here in great white north can watch on?

espnu!!

FerryFor50
Missed FG. Now a nice, long drive is what they need. Just 6 min to burn...

Kimist
Is there a broadcast link the people up here in great white north can watch on?

On ESPNU. Further upthread is a web link w/password (it's a bit slow).

IBleedBlue
10-26-2013, 06:35 PM
espnu!!

ESPNU doesn't work here in Canada. Any other suggestions?

IBleedBlue
10-26-2013, 06:37 PM
On ESPNU. Further upthread is a web link w/password (it's a bit slow).

Found it thanks!

Kimist
10-26-2013, 06:37 PM
ESPNU doesn't work here in Canada. Any other suggestions?

Did you try justintv link???

FerryFor50
10-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Or not.... Let's go D!

nyesq83
Why did we not run the football three times?

Dr. Rosenrosen
Why have we quit running!? Just don't get it.

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 06:39 PM
ugh boone. Looks like Crowder is getting shut down by the VT CB. Either that or Boone is making terrible QB decisions.

Spencer's Daddy
10-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Why aren't we running? This is a horrible QB performance for the ages, and when we need to waste the clock, we try to pass?

Acymetric
10-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Can anyone explain why we wasted a timeout there?

killerleft
10-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Were we gonna try a fake punt there before the timeout? Or just didn't get set right?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Can someone who isn't at work following along on Gamecast explain why on earth we were passing in that series?

Mabdul Doobakus
10-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Anthony Boone has been awful. Bad throws, bad decisions, looks jittery.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Another INT! This is an all time ugly game. I could go for some QB runs here.

Dr. Rosenrosen
Yes. Now run the damn ball!

nyesq83
Can someone who isn't at work following along on Gamecast explain why on earth we were passing in that series?

No. No, we cannot.

killerleft
Interception! Yes!

grossbus
First downs!!!

75Crazie
10-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Boone's head just doesn't appear to be in the game.

throatybeard
Why did we waste yet another timeout? How do you let the playclock get that low?

CDu
Boone is falling prey to the pressure.

killerleft
Please make a good play, Duke!

Acymetric
10-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Why did we waste yet another timeout? How do you let the playclock get that low?

If you were looking for legitimate criticism of Cut over the years clock management is probably it. Come on guys HANG IN THERE!

Mabdul Doobakus
10-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Exactly what I've been wanting to see for several drives now. That worked so well on the TD drive.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Better use these TO's to draw a great running play.

CDu
10-26-2013, 06:47 PM
This is a huge review. Please stand!

CDu
10-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Correct call unfortunately.

killerleft
Punt or go for it? Big game on the line. Try to draw them offside?

pfrduke
I know the goal is to burn clock in that situation, but with such a close conversion, I wonder if a quick snap on 1st down wouldn't have been the better way to go.

That said, love the call to go on 4th.

duke09hms
10-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Tim Tebow converts on the 4th Down!!!

grossbus
Connette!!

CDu
Holy moly!!!!

killerleft
Yow! One more first down, please.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2013, 06:52 PM
/bangs his head on the desk unable to process.....

duke4ever19
Boone! Nice run

throatybeard
ASACK!!!!!

Oops, I mean

CONNETTE!!!!

CDu
I know the goal is to burn clock in that situation, but with such a close conversion, I wonder if a quick snap on 1st down wouldn't have been the better way to go.

That said, love the call to go on 4th.

Yup on both points.

75Crazie
10-26-2013, 06:53 PM
/bangs his head on the desk unable to process.....
This

killerleft
10-26-2013, 06:53 PM
One more, please, or can we run the clock out?

DownEastDevil
10-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Connette is Money!!!!!

pfrduke
The victory formation is the prettiest of formations.

FerryFor50
HUGE win. Might we see Duke break into the top 25?

CDu
10-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Ballgame!

killerleft
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grossbus
One for the Defense!!!!

Udaman
Unbelievable!!!! Go Duke!!!

arnie
HUGE win. Might we see Duke break into the top 25?

Unbelievable