PDA

View Full Version : DBR Migration to SBN

-jk
10-21-2013, 03:34 PM
The day has come: we're moving DBR's main site into the SB Nation system tomorrow during the day (if all goes according to plan). We will keep the board is its current system here. At this point, we plan to disable the SBN "fanposts" and "fanshots" as well as comments on the articles themselves, and maintain discussions here.

During the data migration, access to the site might be slow or altogether down for parts of the day. Please know we're working on it.

Of special note here, there will be a new address for the board, http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com - save it in case the migration/transition is a bumpier than expected and you want to post before the links are properly rebuilt.

-jk

OZZIE4DUKE
10-21-2013, 08:15 PM
The day has come: we're moving DBR's main site into the SB Nation system tomorrow during the day (if all goes according to plan). We will keep the board is its current system here. At this point, we plan to disable the SBN "fanposts" and "fanshots" as well as comments on the articles themselves, and maintain discussions here.

During the data migration, access to the site might be slow or altogether down for parts of the day. Please know we're working on it.

Of special note here, there will be a new address for the board, http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com - save it in case the migration/transition is a bumpier than expected and you want to post before the links are properly rebuilt.

-jk
Congratulations on the next stage of evolution! The DBR has come a long way since "juliovision"!

One question on the boards. Well, actually, two questions:
1. Will the post counts be maintained? devildeac wants to know! OK, I do too. :cool:
2. Will the zporkz carry over?

Just for posterity, in case the counts disappear...

JasonEvans (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?10-JasonEvans) Moderator and post-a-matic
02-23-2007
Today 05:45 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/image.php?u=10&dateline=1182957564&type=thumb

devildeac (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?546-devildeac) Member
02-26-2007
Today 01:53 PM

CDu (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?81-CDu) Member
02-26-2007
Today 12:09 PM

OldPhiKap (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?2448-OldPhiKap) Member
09-09-2007
Today 07:52 PM

OZZIE4DUKE (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?8-OZZIE4DUKE) Member

02-23-2007
Today 08:14 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/image.php?u=8&dateline=1195240646&type=thumb

Duvall (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?1027-Duvall) Member
02-26-2007
Today 08:08 PM

-jk
10-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Other than the url address changing, the board system will remain intact. All posts, post counts, and comments stay. There will likely be some cosmetic changes here and there as we move forward.

The main page will change rather dramatically, though the authors and editors will be the same.

-jk

OldPhiKap
10-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Congratulations on the next stage of evolution! The DBR has come a long way since "juliovision"!

1. Will the post counts be maintained? devildeac wants to know! OK, I do too. :cool:

Wow, sad that y'all let me post so often. Proving that quantity overcomes quality.

Other than the url address changing, the board system will remain intact. All posts, post counts, and comments stay. There will likely be some cosmetic changes here and there as we move forward.

The main page will change rather dramatically, though the authors and editors will be the same.

-jk

To the owners and mods, thanks for preserving the chat as is. The current format is ideal. I am sure this was not the easiest way to go, so thanks again to all concerned.

DueBlevil
10-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Do you think the decision to disable comments on the articles themselves will be a permanent one? I feel like that feature is one of the strengths of the SBN platform

JBDuke
10-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Do you think the decision to disable comments on the articles themselves will be a permanent one? I feel like that feature is one of the strengths of the SBN platform

Most likely. There is no easy way for the moderators to perform the same function on SBN's comment system, and Julio likes the more civil nature of discussions that are the DBR tradition. These boards have always been the place to discuss articles on DBR, and they'll remain so.

devildeac
10-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Wow, sad that y'all let me post so often. Proving that quantity overcomes quality.

To the owners and mods, thanks for preserving the chat as is. The current format is ideal. I am sure this was not the easiest way to go, so thanks again to all concerned.

Spork, err, speak for yourself:o.

Hey, wait, I resemble that remark.

To -jk, Julian and Devil84: (Jay) Heaps of praise upon your helmets for your relentless dedication and work here.

Dev11
10-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Most likely. There is no easy way for the moderators to perform the same function on SBN's comment system, and Julio likes the more civil nature of discussions that are the DBR tradition. These boards have always been the place to discuss articles on DBR, and they'll remain so.

That's a shame. SBN's comment feature is great for things like game threads and silly asides, since each comment takes up so little space. The DBR comment system is certainly better for more detailed discussion.

JBDuke
10-22-2013, 09:36 AM
That's a shame. SBN's comment feature is great for things like game threads and silly asides, since each comment takes up so little space. The DBR comment system is certainly better for more detailed discussion.

Which is what we try to promote here. It's why we separate in-game threads from post-game threads - to keep the "silly asides" and overreactions posted in the throes of the back-and-forth of a game from cluttering more substantial discussions. There are plenty of places on the Internet for the silly blather. There aren't very many that allow for reasoned, moderated sports discussions among fans.

Bluedog
10-22-2013, 09:37 AM

I think it makes sense otherwise you likely will have two parallel discussions going on with people not knowing what's happening in the "other" discussion. I agree it's a nice feature, but probably wouldn't work the best on DBR. Just as front page articles written by DBR aren't discussed on the article themselves - but rather on this board. In my mind, either you go full-throttle SBN having all discussion based on the articles or you keep this board as the sole place for discussions. I'm glad DBR went the second route - thank you! I know many on this board were a little nervous about the SBN migration having a big effect on the DBR discussion mechanism and sounds like that won't be a concern.

Dev11
10-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Which is what we try to promote here. It's why we separate in-game threads from post-game threads - to keep the "silly asides" and overreactions posted in the throes of the back-and-forth of a game from cluttering more substantial discussions. There are plenty of places on the Internet for the silly blather. There aren't very many that allow for reasoned, moderated sports discussions among fans.

That's fair, I just think that some discussions are better suited for more of the chat room feel.

ricks68
10-22-2013, 11:32 AM

That's what makes DBR so special to me.

ricks

ricks68
10-22-2013, 11:37 AM

Hey Oz, I got 787 as of now. Why aren't I in there? And, after this it will be 788!

ricks

DueBlevil
10-22-2013, 12:11 PM

I agree, and I also feel that by having the stories on the front page with no commenting feature and then a completely separate message board, there is the fostering of the appearance that the moderators of this site don't encourage dissent from their personal opinions, and that the opinions expressed on those stories represent the greater Duke community at large. I'm not saying that's what you all actually think, I'm just saying it gives that appearance. It would be one thing if the front page stories were simple recordings of fact or compilations of news stories, but often they are very opinionated and judgmental, and I think it would be useful for members to be able to register an opinion right alongside the article, rather in some separate message board post.

Dev11
10-22-2013, 12:36 PM
I agree, and I also feel that by having the stories on the front page with no commenting feature and then a completely separate message board, there is the fostering of the appearance that the moderators of this site don't encourage dissent from their personal opinions, and that the opinions expressed on those stories represent the greater Duke community at large. I'm not saying that's what you all actually think, I'm just saying it gives that appearance. It would be one thing if the front page stories were simple recordings of fact or compilations of news stories, but often they are very opinionated and judgmental, and I think it would be useful for members to be able to register an opinion right alongside the article, rather in some separate message board post.

Right, that's also part of the problem. Will the front page articles continue to be written by "DBR," or will they have an author attached? I consider myself an active member here but not an 'original' member, so I have no connection to whomever writes those pieces (in fact, I don't know who that person is).

-jk
10-22-2013, 12:58 PM
I think Julian's name will be attached to the vast majority of the posts.

We've worked hard to build a vibrant, engaged community here, and have no real interest in splintering it between multiple sites. Much less take on the workload of moderating multiple sites.

PopSci disabled comments (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-09/why-were-shutting-our-comments?dom=PSC&loc=topstories&con=why-were-shutting-off-our-comments-) recently, citing studies that show they're detrimental.

And the WaPost has a nice opinion piece (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2013/09/24/down-with-comments-popular-science-makes-the-right-call/) on the annoying nature if comments.

Given all the Duke haters out there, it just doesn't seem to be a good fit for us. We'd rather keep the discussions here.

-jk

Here is a Turtle
10-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Maybe a nice test would be to allow comments on a game thread on the SBN site. Maybe as a test run to see how members here would interact in the more open SBN model where off topic banter is not as foul. Then do the post game where more rational discussion could take over here.

Side note, what is the name for the SBN site? Will it be Duke Basketball Report or a more sport neutral name?

-jk
10-22-2013, 03:11 PM
The site will remain "duke basketball report" - it's who we are.

We don't plan to open comments for game threads. We'd have to moderate them, and that's asking too much from our mod team.

-jk

DueBlevil
10-22-2013, 05:51 PM
I think Julian's name will be attached to the vast majority of the posts.

We've worked hard to build a vibrant, engaged community here, and have no real interest in splintering it between multiple sites. Much less take on the workload of moderating multiple sites.

PopSci disabled comments (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-09/why-were-shutting-our-comments?dom=PSC&loc=topstories&con=why-were-shutting-off-our-comments-) recently, citing studies that show they're detrimental.

And the WaPost has a nice opinion piece (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2013/09/24/down-with-comments-popular-science-makes-the-right-call/) on the annoying nature if comments.

Given all the Duke haters out there, it just doesn't seem to be a good fit for us. We'd rather keep the discussions here.

-jk

You're kind of reinforcing my point here. The examples that you bring up are about NEWS stories. Many of the posts that DBR puts on the front page are not news stories as much as they are opinion pieces. Some are news, but many are not, and even the news stories are posted with rather opinionated commentary. So you're taking your OPINION posts and elevating them to the level of being NEWS and then shutting off all ability to comment on them, apparently due to some fear about "all the Duke haters out there" (despite having zero evidence that "Duke hating" would even take place in the comments section).

I remember when you announced that you're moving to SBN, but I guess I missed the exact point of why you are doing so, since the whole point of the SBN format is to encourage discussion about a common interest

OldPhiKap
10-22-2013, 06:15 PM

I know you are not supposed to simply say "this" and copy a post that says it perfectly. And I have to spread love before sporkzing JB again, apparently.

So -- how 'bout them Braves?

(Very articulate response, and it is what makes this site so unique IMVHO)

Here is a Turtle
10-22-2013, 06:30 PM
One thing I like about SBN is that when schools play each other the two SBN sites will each have a reporter answer a series of questions to better inform fans what they are up against. Would DBR do this as well?

devil84
10-22-2013, 06:52 PM
You're kind of reinforcing my point here. The examples that you bring up are about NEWS stories. Many of the posts that DBR puts on the front page are not news stories as much as they are opinion pieces. Some are news, but many are not, and even the news stories are posted with rather opinionated commentary. So you're taking your OPINION posts and elevating them to the level of being NEWS and then shutting off all ability to comment on them, apparently due to some fear about "all the Duke haters out there" (despite having zero evidence that "Duke hating" would even take place in the comments section).

I remember when you announced that you're moving to SBN, but I guess I missed the exact point of why you are doing so, since the whole point of the SBN format is to encourage discussion about a common interest

Regarding the bolded text: clearly you haven't seen what we moderators have dealt with to keep this a civil place. We have plenty of evidence that Duke hating will take place.

BigWayne
10-22-2013, 07:02 PM

DBR is a private entity. If they want to post articles, have no comments, have no forum such as this, they are still free to do so in this country.

There are many times that DBR posts something I don't agree with. That affects how I think about the guys running it, but they can say whatever they want. It's up to me whether I want to continue to read it. I have no right to have my view online in contrast to theirs, unless I want to design and pay for my own website to do so.

If you don't like the way DBR is run, you are free to make your own website and set it up however you like. What I would expect though is that your opinion on how it should be set up might change quite a lot after a few years of running it and dealing with all of the opinions of the people that come to your site.

DueBlevil
10-22-2013, 08:06 PM
DBR is a private entity. If they want to post articles, have no comments, have no forum such as this, they are still free to do so in this country.

There are many times that DBR posts something I don't agree with. That affects how I think about the guys running it, but they can say whatever they want. It's up to me whether I want to continue to read it. I have no right to have my view online in contrast to theirs, unless I want to design and pay for my own website to do so.

If you don't like the way DBR is run, you are free to make your own website and set it up however you like. What I would expect though is that your opinion on how it should be set up might change quite a lot after a few years of running it and dealing with all of the opinions of the people that come to your site.

I figured someone would come in with the "this is our site, if you don't like it, go somewhere else" comment. Of course I don't run this site. Obviously. And please don't get me wrong: the people who run this site put a ton of work into it and do a great job!! I'm sorry if I have put people on the defensive. I was just expressing an opinion and making an argument about what my preferences are. DBR is awesome but does that mean there's not room for a dissenting opinion? Is DBR at ultimate perfection and immune to criticism? I'm just being honest here: I like the SBN model better. I just do. I like being able to read an article, comment on it, have the author comment back, etc. Sure, some people misuse it and spam and hate, whatever, but most people don't. DBR doesn't want to follow that model and that's obviously not my decision to make.

Anywho I'm not a decision maker about the direction of this site, a fact for which I am thankful because I recognize the amount of work the moderators and owners put into it, but I did want to throw out my opinion. And I will leave it be now.

-jk
10-22-2013, 08:39 PM
I think I see where you're coming from. The volume of commentary here is so far beyond what SBN is set up for that it just won't be a good fit. And we don't want to fragment our community or add work for the (volunteer) mods.

-jk

tieguy
10-22-2013, 09:17 PM
The volume of commentary here is so far beyond what SBN is set up for that it just won't be a good fit.

You guys should talk to the Every Day Should Be Saturday authors/mods. They do 4-5,000 comments *a day* on college football saturdays, and 1,000 comment days are not unusual in the offseason. And the quality of discussion there is quite high; I know of at least one former DBRer (other than myself) who posts there regularly.

This isn't to say that all SB Nation sites are good (most of the Miami-related sites are pretty awful; the SF Giants one is quite good; the Sox one is mediocre) but at least some sites do it on the SBNation platform, so it isn't impossible.

ricks68
10-22-2013, 09:26 PM
I started following DBR just after it morphed from Juliovision, and I can tell you that compared to the vast majority of other sports sites, there is no comparison regarding the quality of knowledge and conversation you get around here. If DBR changes to become just like the rest of those sites, I see no reason to continue following DBR any more than one of those sites.

If you want every day news, just Google what you want to know about each day, or follow NBC Sports or ESPN. If you want to really know what the scoop is on Duke stuff, and other news that true Duke fans are interested in (like UNC troubles, other teams of interest to us, opposing coaches, other Duke sports besides bball, ACC goings on, etc.), and get that information very quickly, then go to DBR.

I have found that DBR has so many knowledgeable fans that find and sort out information so quickly, that I usually do not have to go anywhere else. In addition, these fans will even check on the validity of the information before posting the link. On top of that, the mods prevent all the garbage from polluting DBR, so that I don't have to wade through all the trash to find the good information.

I think (no, I know) that DBR is different than most other sports sites because it is not a "superficial" fan site. While anyone can join and post, haters and immature fans are quickly weeded out by other posters and mods. Just go over to IC, the Kentucky fan site or that "turtle" site and read what goes on over there. Those "fans" are hardly ever interested in in depth learning about their teams, or furthering their knowledge about sports, etc. Most of what you see there is immature spouting off about how great their teams are and how bad the other teams are.

Now, I would also like to add that DBR is not alone in having great reporting and knowledge regarding Duke sports. Watzone also has a fantastic Duke fan site. In fact, he will sometimes come to visit with true inside information that he shares with DBR. I would highly recommend visiting his site. I'm also sure there are others.

As far as "original" members are concerned, I believe that a better term to use might be "mature", "insightful", "knowledgeable", "collegial", etc. Therefore, someone new (and not an "original") can be a great addition to the board, and is certainly welcome----------as long as they don't try to "pollute" it with the garbage you read about on other sites.

So, if what some posters are looking for is similar to what can be found on those other sites I mentioned, maybe they would be better off adding a "Duke" section over there where they can participate in the same kind of immature drivel.:rolleyes:

ricks

OldPhiKap
10-22-2013, 09:37 PM
I started following DBR just after it morphed from Juliovision, and I can tell you that compared to the vast majority of other sports sites, there is no comparison regarding the quality of knowledge and conversation you get around here. If DBR changes to become just like the rest of those sites, I see no reason to continue following DBR any more than one of those sites.

If you want every day news, just Google what you want to know about each day, or follow NBC Sports or ESPN. If you want to really know what the scoop is on Duke stuff, and other news that true Duke fans are interested in (like UNC troubles, other teams of interest to us, opposing coaches, other Duke sports besides bball, ACC goings on, etc.), and get that information very quickly, then go to DBR.

I have found that DBR has so many knowledgeable fans that find and sort out information so quickly, that I usually do not have to go anywhere else. In addition, these fans will even check on the validity of the information before posting the link. On top of that, the mods prevent all the garbage from polluting DBR, so that I don't have to wade through all the trash to find the good information.

I think (no, I know) that DBR is different than most other sports sites because it is not a "superficial" fan site. While anyone can join and post, haters and immature fans are quickly weeded out by other long-time posters and mods. Just go over to IC, the Kentucky fan site or that "turtle" site and read what goes on over there. Those "fans" are hardly ever interested in in depth learning about their teams, or furthering their knowledge about sports, etc. Most of what you see there is immature spouting off about how great their teams are and how bad the other teams are.

Now, I would also like to add that DBR is not alone in having great reporting and knowledge regarding Duke sports. Watzone also has a fantastic Duke fan site. In fact, he will sometimes come to visit with true inside information that he shares with DBR. I would highly recommend visiting his site. I'm also sure there are others.

As far as "original" members are concerned, I believe that a better term to use might be "mature", "insightful", "knowledgeable", "collegial", etc. Therefore, someone new (and not an "original") can be a great addition to the board, and is certainly welcome----------as long as they don't try to "pollute" it with the garbage you read about on other sites.

So, if what some posters are looking for is similar to what can be found on those other sites I mentioned, maybe they would be better off adding a "Duke" section over there where they can participate in the same kind of immature drivel.:rolleyes:

ricks

All this is true.

For me, I originally posted on IC instead of DBR because I really hated the twig/strand/branch organization of the former board. And IC has ironically moved to a worse posting format.

In addition to ricks' traditionally great post, I would add that the off-topic board is equally interesting, entertaining and randomly educational. If you have never ventured over there, you are missing out.

ricks68
10-22-2013, 09:46 PM
I figured someone would come in with the "this is our site, if you don't like it, go somewhere else" comment. Of course I don't run this site. Obviously. And please don't get me wrong: the people who run this site put a ton of work into it and do a great job!! I'm sorry if I have put people on the defensive. I was just expressing an opinion and making an argument about what my preferences are. DBR is awesome but does that mean there's not room for a dissenting opinion? Is DBR at ultimate perfection and immune to criticism? I'm just being honest here: I like the SBN model better. I just do. I like being able to read an article, comment on it, have the author comment back, etc. Sure, some people misuse it and spam and hate, whatever, but most people don't. DBR doesn't want to follow that model and that's obviously not my decision to make.

Anywho I'm not a decision maker about the direction of this site, a fact for which I am thankful because I recognize the amount of work the moderators and owners put into it, but I did want to throw out my opinion. And I will leave it be now.

I hope you didn't misconstrue my comments to mean for you to go somewhere else if you do not like it here. I meant that I really feel that to open up DBR to the same kind of bad stuff that is on most sites would be "inappropriate " for what DBR members appear to want "our" site to be. (Yes, even though I have had very little effect on the development or founding of DBR, I still consider myself to be a part of the DBR site.)

I am not resistant to change if it is for the better, or even a chance to be better. I am not agreeable to following DBR down the path to mediocrity, however----and it appears that those in actual control of the site content are not either.:)

Go Duke! Go DBR!

ricks

Jarhead
10-22-2013, 11:06 PM
My view on comments on front page material is that if I felt the need to so comment, I would just do it in one of the DBR forums. That seems perfectly adequate to me. For the record his post is #2589 for me, and they are all late in the evening.

JasonEvans
10-23-2013, 08:23 AM
My view on comments on front page material is that if I felt the need to so comment, I would just do it in one of the DBR forums. That seems perfectly adequate to me. For the record his post is #2589 for me, and they are all late in the evening.

Exactly. I don't get the controversy here. If you want to comment on an article, you can do it in the forums the way we have always done on DBR. We quite often have robust conversations about front-page articles. That is how the system will remain under the new format. It is not like we are saying comments on articles are disabled. The comments are merely directed to the forums instead of being attached to the article itself.

-Jason "the DBR 'pub' is always open to new patrons" Evans

devildeac
10-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Things were amazingly smooth here yesterday and I was ready to send the administrators a fine note of congratulations until I read the main page this AM and found the migration had been delayed:o. I'll save the accolades that I worked on so meticulously for later today, tomorrow or whenever the big move is completed. Continued best wishes for as smooth a transition as possible and minimal headaches in the process.

-jk
10-23-2013, 09:49 AM
The export of the old site was fairly uneventful. The import choked a couple times. The first time, they got 19,000 posts in before the choke. They'll be working on it today.

-jk

OZZIE4DUKE
10-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Things were amazingly smooth here yesterday and I was ready to send the administrators a fine note of congratulations until I read the main page this AM and found the migration had been delayed:o. I'll save the accolades that I worked on so meticulously for later today, tomorrow or whenever the big move is completed. Continued best wishes for as smooth a transition as possible and minimal headaches in the process.

Perhaps you're talking about this development?

devildeac (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?546-devildeac) Member
02-26-2007
Today 01:27 PM

JasonEvans (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?10-JasonEvans) Moderator and post-a-matic
02-23-2007
Today 09:45 AM[/QUOTE]
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/image.php?u=10&dateline=1182957564&type=thumb

alteran
10-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Exactly. I don't get the controversy here. If you want to comment on an article, you can do it in the forums the way we have always done on DBR. We quite often have robust conversations about front-page articles. That is how the system will remain under the new format. It is not like we are saying comments on articles are disabled. The comments are merely directed to the forums instead of being attached to the article itself.

-Jason "the DBR 'pub' is always open to new patrons" Evans

I DO get the controversy, if you want to call it that.

It is FAR more convenient and more user-friendly to 1) post or read comments on the bottom of an article, than it is to 2) go to a completely different area, look for a thread and HOPE-- often wrongly-- that it was titled in a way that made it clear which article it was attached to. It's ludicrous to even debate this. Imagine trying to find comments on an article from more than a couple days ago on DBR. You can do this on almost any sports blog effortlessly and it is a great function-- but it's functionally impossible on DBR.

And can you imagine trying to find an article thread on DBR after a visit by the merge fairy?

None of this, BTW, is a tragedy. It is an annoyance, and it is handled better on other boards.

I agree that DBR is probably the best team blog out there. But I visit other sites, and I do sometimes think, "man, I'd love it if DBR had THIS." It seems that DBR has determined in some cases that the price of new functionality is too high. Fair enough. But it's legit that people either want to know why, or want to make a case that you reconsider. That's not a bad thing.

devildeac
10-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Perhaps you're talking about this development?

I most certainly was not:o. I was going to post to/for Julian, -jk and Devil84 a note of hearty congrats/effusive praise/general suck-up-itude when they announced the merge/transition was complete. I was merely indicating I'd delay it a day or so when -jk said the process was not completed yet as of this AM.

Jim3k
10-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Will our DBR password work on the other SBN sites? If we are signed in here, must we sign in again on sister SBN sites?

GGLC
10-23-2013, 05:28 PM

It is FAR more convenient and more user-friendly to 1) post or read comments on the bottom of an article, than it is to 2) go to a completely different area, look for a thread and HOPE-- often wrongly-- that it was titled in a way that made it clear which article it was attached to. It's ludicrous to even debate this. Imagine trying to find comments on an article from more than a couple days ago on DBR. You can do this on almost any sports blog effortlessly and it is a great function-- but it's functionally impossible on DBR.

And can you imagine trying to find an article thread on DBR after a visit by the merge fairy?

None of this, BTW, is a tragedy. It is an annoyance, and it is handled better on other boards.

I agree that DBR is probably the best team blog out there. But I visit other sites, and I do sometimes think, "man, I'd love it if DBR had THIS." It seems that DBR has determined in some cases that the price of new functionality is too high. Fair enough. But it's legit that people either want to know why, or want to make a case that you reconsider. That's not a bad thing.

As someone who's been around since the juliovision days (as my username should at least in part demonstrate), I could not agree more with every bit of this post.

Jason C.

DueBlevil
10-23-2013, 06:04 PM

Yes this is also what I was trying to get at. You have stated it better than I did.

-jk
10-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Will our DBR password work on the other SBN sites? If we are signed in here, must we sign in again on sister SBN sites?

SBN is one system, this board is a different system. The logins aren't mutual, and won't ever be. As we aren't having comments on the SBN DBR site (just as we haven't since the very beginning of dbr/juliovision), there isn't any meaningful change.

That said, the main page will change dramatically! Sometime this evening - if things go as expected. We think we have it resolved. (Those damned IT folks. ;) )

-jk

matt1
10-23-2013, 06:37 PM
I am really looking forward to seeing the new site, but I am glad that we are retaining the boards feature. Ultimately, why I come here is to have discussions about Duke athletics. The forums give us the opportunity to have longer and more detailed discussions about a topic than commenting would.

-jk
10-23-2013, 06:40 PM

Since its beginning, juliovision/dbr has existed in parallel to the board. It's part of our culture. The discussions here have been more numerous and more detailed than anything posted on the main page. And we frequently anticipate the main page. Personally, I like that. We're the cool kids. :)

There is an understandable argument for attaching comments to the main site articles. However, I haven't seen any other site that presents a compelling argument for changing our (more advanced) model. We have a fabulous community here. I don't want to dilute or fragment it. It works.

Do other models work? I'm sure - it's a wide, wide world. But we've found a sweet spot, and we want to maintain it.

-jk

wilson
10-23-2013, 07:09 PM
...the main page will change dramatically!...Anybody else refreshing a little more than they probably should?

Indoor66
10-23-2013, 07:16 PM
What will I see on my screen when I log into http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/ (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/newreply.php?p=670399&noquote=1) after the change over? Will the two boards be "linked" such that I can easily move from one to the other? Will the two boards be integrated?

-jk
10-23-2013, 07:41 PM
What will I see on my screen when I log into http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/ (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/newreply.php?p=670399&noquote=1) after the change over? Will the two boards be "linked" such that I can easily move from one to the other? Will the two boards be integrated?

There will be the main site at http://www.dukebasketballreport.com and this board at http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com - separate, but akin. There will be no need to "log in" to the main page, and this one won't change except for the address.

I've just heard that the import finally finished. We'll be changing sometime this evening. Maybe in the next hour or so.

-jk

GGLC
10-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Since its beginning, juliovision/dbr has existed in parallel to the board. It's part of our culture. The discussions here have been more numerous and more detailed than anything posted on the main page. And we frequently anticipate the main page. Personally, I like that. We're the cool kids. :)

There is an understandable argument for attaching comments to the main site articles. However, I haven't seen any other site that presents a compelling argument for changing our (more advanced) model. We have a fabulous community here. I don't want to dilute or fragment it. It works.

Do other models work? I'm sure - it's a wide, wide world. But we've found a sweet spot, and we want to maintain it.

-jk

I don't think this is a sweet spot, and I don't look at us as the cool kids, but your mileage is welcome to vary. :)

-jk
10-23-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't think this is a sweet spot, and I don't look at us as the cool kids, but your mileage is welcome to vary. :)

Lots of sweet spots out there. Feel free to find yours. We've found ours.

-jk

OldPhiKap
10-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Anybody else refreshing a little more than they probably should?

I keep hitting my bookmark, but get directed to the Affordable Care Act sign-in. Then Chatbot crashes me.

I hate the interweb.

OldPhiKap
10-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Now, I'm just getting Rick-rolled.

OldPhiKap
10-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Still cannot sign on, but picked up a new client. Cannot say much, let's just say it is a foreign prince with a problem getting funds out of the country. Will be the easiest fee EVER.

GGLC
10-23-2013, 09:47 PM

-jk

I've been here since around 1997. But thanks; your hospitality is noted.

ricks68
10-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Still cannot sign on, but picked up a new client. Cannot say much, let's just say it is a foreign prince with a problem getting funds out of the country. Will be the easiest fee EVER.

Your Rick-rolled comment had me smiling, but this one is even better!:D

ricks

gep
10-23-2013, 10:21 PM

-jk

I've been with DBR since 2000-2001... and I've found my sweet spot... and it's right here.

MANY THANKS...

-jk
10-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Looks like we've just made it through the storm.

Welcome back to the boards, and to the new dbr!

-jk

OldPhiKap
10-23-2013, 10:56 PM
"Try to run
Try to hide
Break on through
To the other side"

Congrats, DBR

Jarhead
10-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Just able to get to the forums. What is the link for the front page?

-jk
10-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Just able to get to the forums. What is the link for the front page?

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com

Same as it ever was. It might take a little while to propagate across the interwebs, though.

-jk

GGLC
10-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Can someone point me to the link to these boards on the new front page? I can't find it.

-jk
10-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Can someone point me to the link to these boards on the new front page? I can't find it.

I'm not sure what you're asking - main page or forum?

Main page:

Forum:
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com

It's possible dns propagation will lag a little while.

-jk

GGLC
10-23-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking - main page or forum?

Main page:

Forum:

It's possible dns propagation will lag a little while.

-jk

When I am on the new main page (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com), I don't see a link to the forums (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com). Is the only way to get to the forums to know the address of the forums already?

-jk
10-23-2013, 11:39 PM
There will be a direct link "real soon now". I'm hoping it'll be in the next day or so.

For now, you'll need to bookmark here. It's why we published this address in the caveat.

-jk

GGLC
10-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Thanks. Hopefully it will be prominent so that the increased traffic to the main site due to the SBN migration will bring additional contributors to the forum as well.

-jk
10-23-2013, 11:43 PM
With any luck...

-jk

Troublemaker
10-24-2013, 12:42 AM
Congrats on the successful move, guys! Great work as always!

ricks68
10-24-2013, 01:19 AM
I just got on. I tried a few hours ago and got the Jack Daniels site. I thought OPK was kidding about where he was being directed to, but I guess he wasn't!

It's good now, however. Thanks jk for posting the link to the boards before the switch. I wouldn't have found it otherwise. I'm sure you will have it all straightened out very soon. Great job.

ricks

ricks68
10-24-2013, 01:24 AM
Can you please post the chronological history of DBR from the very beginning until now, including the dates that all the switches were made from Juliovision until the date we are now part of SBN. Thanks. (I think I may have been around longer than I thought, and I want to know.)

ricks

Indoor66
10-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the clarification on addresses, above. I saw the new Front Page and like the format and simplicity. I look forward to the direct links to this board. Until then, I am fully capable of using two bookmarks! Congratulations, I hope the transition is successful, both aesthetically and for the business side.

Indoor66
10-24-2013, 07:53 AM
I noticed that the Feinstein thread is closed and then noticed that the first column on the boards page is blank - the column that used to indicate the status of a thread. Is that feature gone now?

-jk
10-24-2013, 08:05 AM
I noticed that the Feinstein thread is closed and then noticed that the first column on the boards page is blank - the column that used to indicate the status of a thread. Is that feature gone now?

Nothing should have changed. I'm not seeing it that way, either - it's normal for me.

Can you try the usual suspects - clear cookies, log out and back in, close and reopen your browser - and let me know?

thanks,

-jk

JonnyWonder
10-24-2013, 09:26 AM
To the DBR Gods,

Just got on the new site. Thanks for all the hard work you guys have put into the site, it looks great!

I've been coming to the site regularly since about 2000 when I was a sophomore, and it wasn't until I saw the new site that I realized just how old-school the old DBR was. That tells me two things about DBR - first, other sites come and go, but DBR is probably the one site I've continued to come back to over the past 13 years and second, content is king - the site didn't seem old because everything on it continues to be so darn good.

I know getting to SBNation and the new site was a journey, and I just wanted to thank you all for continuing to keep our collective Blue Devil home on the internet going. I look forward to seeing all the cool new stuff you guys can do with the site.

-j

P.S. Glad the boards have stayed exactly the same...change is good, but not TOO much change!

alteran
10-24-2013, 09:46 AM
I got the following when I signed in today:

"Your Duke Basketball Report membership will be fully active in over 27 years, on Mar 10, 2041 6:28 AM PST.Until then, you won't be able to post comments, FanPosts, or FanShots. In the meantime, we hope you'll explore the community. Stick around!"

2041, baby! I can't WAIT! :cool: 2041 should be just in time for us all to comment on the NCAA's preliminary report and recommendations for possible sanctions regarding UNC's malfeasance with bogus AFAM classes and eligibility under Julius Nyang'oro's AFAM department.

All kidding aside, I like the new look, and I hope the new software works well for you guys.

Thanks for all you folks do to keep a great site going, and all your work and diligence in making a great site better.

alteran
10-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Can you please post the chronological history of DBR from the very beginning until now, including the dates that all the switches were made from Juliovision until the date we are now part of SBN. Thanks. (I think I may have been around longer than I thought, and I want to know.)

ricks

After that, could you please cut down the mightiest tree in the forest? With a herring?

alteran
10-24-2013, 10:04 AM
My comment feedback (sporking) buttons have disappeared. I've logged out and back in, and tried different browsers. Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing this?

ChillinDuke
10-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Congratulations to all involved in the switch over!

The main site looks new and fresh.

The boards look the same and familiar.

And I couldn't be happier.

Congrats again!

- Chillin (tab $0.46)

PS - Do I have to close my tab now that the server has changed?

Bluedog
10-24-2013, 10:16 AM
My comment feedback (sporking) buttons have disappeared. I've logged out and back in, and tried different browsers. Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing this?

I've noticed several missing buttons, but it seems like a rendering issue and they are actually there if you put your mouse in the place they should be. I, too, don't see the feedback button, but when I move my mouse to the lower left, voila! Same with when typing a response, the undo, attachments, etc. buttons don't appear, but I can find them when I move my mouse in the area. I've only tried on Firefox, though - not sure why the migration would affect the rendering of items on the board.

Overall, nice work on the update! Front page looks slick.

Dev11
10-24-2013, 10:23 AM

"Your Duke Basketball Report membership will be fully active in over 27 years, on Mar 10, 2041 6:28 AM PST.Until then, you won't be able to post comments, FanPosts, or FanShots. In the meantime, we hope you'll explore the community. Stick around!"

Please give yourself some sort of electronic calendar reminder for this and report back then. Hopefully I'm still around and reading DBR in 2041.

ricks68
10-24-2013, 10:26 AM

I tried my sporking "button" by trying to give you some, and it works fine for me. A herring? Is that creamed or just in wine?

ricks

-jk
10-24-2013, 10:29 AM
We do seem to be having some weird button issues. Can anyone who has the problem post which browser you're using?

Thanks,

-jk

Bluedog
10-24-2013, 10:38 AM
We do seem to be having some weird button issues. Can anyone who has the problem post which browser you're using?

Thanks,

-jk

Firefox. More buttons have started to appear (different from 15 minutes ago). Feedback and multi-quote, for instance, weren't there before, but now are for me. I still do not see all the buttons for the rich text formatting when submitting a new post.

alteran
10-24-2013, 10:43 AM

Thanks,

-jk

I was using Chrome and Firefox in Windows 7. The issue has now resolved for me in both browsers.

Thanks!

GGLC
10-24-2013, 10:47 AM
One day I'll have a sporking button. :)

Skitzle
10-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Link to the Forum up on the new site :D

Any chance you can get the forum to dropdown to the subforums on the mainsite? Think like when I scroll over "blue devils" I get different options

Well done guys. Site looks great

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Massive kudos to the redesign. Also, very excited to not have to use the zoom feature on my tablet to click accurately. Having done some web work myself, I know nothing about this migration and new interface was simple.

Everyone involved gets a big high five. Great way to start the new season.

Go Duke!

-jk
10-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Firefox. More buttons have started to appear (different from 15 minutes ago). Feedback and multi-quote, for instance, weren't there before, but now are for me. I still do not see all the buttons for the rich text formatting when submitting a new post.

I was using Chrome and Firefox in Windows 7. The issue has now resolved for me in both browsers.

Thanks!

Hmm... Spontaneous resolution. Perhaps something had to propagate? I don't know... Odd, but I'll take it if it works.

-jk

BigWayne
10-24-2013, 11:29 AM

Thanks,

-jk

Firefox 24.0 on Windows 7 64 bit is missing feedback and multi-quote buttons unless you mouseover them, when they magically appear.
I did clear cookies and restart.

IE9 on Windows7 works OK. Never logged onto the site before from IE9.

Duke Parent 06
10-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Were there no article headline feeds over RSS this morning? I seem to have lost my RSS feed to Outlook mail, and can't find the RSS feed link on the web page. (I can't face coffee in the morning without the DBR RSS headlines first.):(

Merlindevildog91
10-24-2013, 11:48 AM

2041, baby! I can't WAIT! :cool: 2041 should be just in time for us all to comment on the NCAA's preliminary report and recommendations for possible sanctions regarding UNC's malfeasance with bogus AFAM classes and eligibility under Julius Nyang'oro's AFAM department.

I have the same problem as alteran, except I got on about an hour and 45 minutes later, so my membership will be activated at 8:13am PST. I did get the activation email, and I followed the instructions there, but am still getting the same message. At least it hasn't gotten any later in time.

Dang. March 10, 2041, is a Sunday, and unless I move west, it is likely I'll be in church at 8:13am PST.

But I can comment and spork here, and the site looks sharp.

-jk
10-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Were there no article headline feeds over RSS this morning? I seem to have lost my RSS feed to Outlook mail, and can't find the RSS feed link on the web page. (I can't face coffee in the morning without the DBR RSS headlines first.):(

Did you subscribe to an RSS feed from the main site or this board? I'm not sure what the main site RSS url is now, but I'm trying to find out. For the board, you'll need to edit the URL in your reader from www.duke--- to forums.duke---

-jk

-jk
10-24-2013, 11:52 AM
No one needs to join SBN for DBR. Commentary will continue here on the boards with your old board login.

-jk

-jk
10-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Anyone using an RSS reader for the main site, update it to this address:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/rss/current

-jk

A-Tex Devil
10-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Love it. For those familiar with SBN sites, it may be a little jarring not to be able to directly comment on posts. But for those familiar with DBR, I think there really shouldn't really be much of a difference once everything settles in. I like it.

Also --- there's a fun rivalry site on SBN as well which you may have seen before elsewhere -- bluevsblue.com.

And even better, the DBR contributors are going to get even more airtime (if they want it) -- when they write another one of their great articles and it gets promoted to the SBN front page!!

Dev11
10-24-2013, 12:21 PM
I look forward to the hates on SBN who can't understand why there is a separate site for those uppity Duke folk to make comments on their articles. SBN is home to fans of everything, and they are encouraged to roam free through all of the blogs.

-jk
10-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I look forward to the hates on SBN who can't understand why there is a separate site for those uppity Duke folk to make comments on their articles. SBN is home to fans of everything, and they are encouraged to roam free through all of the blogs.

Meh. Perhaps SBN will incorporate real board software at some time. Until then, I like what we have here.

-jk

devildeac
10-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Looks like we've just made it through the storm.

Welcome back to the boards, and to the new dbr!

-jk

"Riders on the storm
Riders on the storm
Into this house we're born
Into this world we're thrown
Like a dog without a bone
An actor out alone
Riders on the storm"

A hearty congrats!

I had no issues (so far) and I'm one of the dummer (sic) IT people around:o.

Jim3k
10-24-2013, 01:35 PM
-jk:

In Firefox 24.0 in my Mac, the feedback buttons only appear when mousing over the lower left of the message box.

I remained logged in after the switchover on the forum pages. But when I try the new SBN main page (home page?), I am not recognized. So when I tried to log in on that page's login box, I get a message that either my username or my password is incorrect.

If FANPOST is the button on the new SBN page taking us to the Forum pages, it doesn't work (yet). It just reloads the SBN page.

Can get there via the forum URL you provided.

Bob Green
10-24-2013, 01:55 PM
-jk:

So when I tried to log in on that page's login box, I get a message that either my username or my password is incorrect.

If FANPOST is the button on the new SBN page taking us to the Forum pages, it doesn't work (yet). It just reloads the SBN page.

There is no need to login to the SBN page. To get to the forums, use the Forum button upper left quadrant to the right of the Home button.

-jk
10-24-2013, 02:02 PM
-jk:

In Firefox 24.0 in my Mac, the feedback buttons only appear when mousing over the lower left of the message box.

I remained logged in after the switchover on the forum pages. But when I try the new SBN main page (home page?), I am not recognized. So when I tried to log in on that page's login box, I get a message that either my username or my password is incorrect.

Can get there via the forum URL you provided.

What Bob said, and we're not using fanposts. They're supposed to put a forum feed/link where the fanposts link is currently.

-jk

Saratoga2
10-24-2013, 02:10 PM
I am in my mid 70's now and have been on the site for many years with my current name and quite a while with a different name before I screwed up my computer interface and had to change to my current name. I am glad that the forum still exists, since that is what I enjoy most about the site. I don't do facebook, twitter or tweet as I would rather not see what my grandchildren are saying they are doing, but the forum doesn't require that. First time in I didn't see the forum and was concerned my use of DBR wouldn't be possible. Iam certain I can get used to it and will find it even better than before. Go Blue Devils.

OldPhiKap
10-24-2013, 02:27 PM
After that, could you please cut down the mightiest tree in the forest? With a herring?

You wouldn't get very far in life without saying "is"

-jk
10-24-2013, 02:58 PM

ricks

Yikes! I honestly don't recall it all, but here's what my brain is tricking me into remembering, anyway:

Julian started a dbr list sometime in the very early 90s via Prodigy, before the interwebs as we know it today. (Us old folks remember: slow dial-up bbs systems, CompuServe, AOL, Prodigy.) As the internet became the thing, Julian established juliovision with a dbr section in '96 or so. DBR then moved to the current dukebasketballreport.com domain in the summer or fall of '99; the first DBR site was a custom job. As blogging became the rage, dbr moved into off-the-shelf WordPress in Jan of '07 with a custom front end. And now we have this move to the SBN blog engine yesterday.

The board - I think - started out with Mike Hemmerich via email, also in the 90s before joining DBR. James' rolled his custom SBBS - the one with posting codes - somewhere '98 or '99, though it may have been earlier. With the move to WordPress, we also moved to off-the-shelf bbs software, going through one bad, short-lived board (I don't recall which package, but it wasn't good) before opening this one a few weeks later in late Feb, '07.

If anyone can help with my iffy memory, please jump in! I wasn't very active behind the scenes until we got this board.

-jk

Newton_14
10-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Yikes! I honestly don't recall it all, but here's what my brain is tricking me into remembering, anyway:

Julian started a dbr list sometime in the very early 90s via Prodigy, before the interwebs as we know it today. (Us old folks remember: slow dial-up bbs systems, CompuServe, AOL, Prodigy.) As the internet became the thing, Julian established juliovision with a dbr section in '96 or so. DBR then moved to the current dukebasketballreport.com domain in the summer or fall of '99; the first DBR site was a custom job. As blogging became the rage, dbr moved into off-the-shelf WordPress in Jan of '07 with a custom front end. And now we have this move to the SBN blog engine yesterday.

The board - I think - started out with Mike Hemmerich via email, also in the 90s before joining DBR. James' rolled his custom SBBS - the one with posting codes - somewhere '98 or '99, though it may have been earlier. With the move to WordPress, we also moved to off-the-shelf bbs software, going through one bad, short-lived board (I don't recall which package, but it wasn't good) before opening this one a few weeks later in late Feb, '07.

If anyone can help with my iffy memory, please jump in! I wasn't very active behind the scenes until we got this board.

-jk
We also made a pretty significant change to the board SW somewhere around 2009/10 (date?)....

For those seeking memory lane, here is a link to one of the old (pre-2007, appears to be 1999) DBR boards:http://web.archive.org/web/19990129051819/www.mindspring.com/~mhemmerich/welcome.htm

-jk
10-24-2013, 03:53 PM
We also made a pretty significant change to the board SW somewhere around 2009/10 (date?)....

For those seeking memory lane, here is a link to one of the old (pre-2007, appears to be 1999) DBR boards:http://web.archive.org/web/19990129051819/www.mindspring.com/~mhemmerich/welcome.htm

The 2010 bbs change was a version upgrade with a new skin on top. A lot of cosmetic changes, but more evolutionary than revolutionary. (And no one's post - or post counts - went "poof!")

-jk

devildeac
10-24-2013, 04:22 PM

Ni (sic).

devildeac
10-24-2013, 04:23 PM

All kidding aside, I like the new look, and I hope the new software works well for you guys.

Thanks for all you folks do to keep a great site going, and all your work and diligence in making a great site better.

Merlindevildog91 said she got the same message. She looks forward to that date with great anticipation also:rolleyes:.

Merlindevildog91
10-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Merlindevildog91 said she got the same message. She looks forward to that date with great anticipation also:rolleyes:.

And right under the invite to wait until my membership becomes fully active in 2041, it says: "The new DBR-some things are worth waiting for."

SBN, I think making me wait until I am in my 70's is a little over the top.

-jk
10-24-2013, 05:09 PM
The SBN login would be for fanposts, fanshots, and comments we aren't enabling. Fanposts and fanshots are a couple SBN features we've disabled globally. Unfortunately, we can't globally disable comments, so we'd have to turn comments off article by article. Instead we set the probation period before you can comment to 9999 days.

It's part of our desire to keep the conversations in these boards (and one place for the mods to follow).

The upshot is you don't need to register on SBN for DBR. Read what you want on the main page, and just keep using your old login here.

-jk

Indoor66
10-24-2013, 06:36 PM

Thanks,

-jk

I am using Explorer 10. I still do not have the buttons to the left of the "NEW" post button and on posts I do not have any buttons at the bottom of the post - for comments, etc. This is as of 6:40 EDT, 10/24/13.

Newton_14
10-24-2013, 06:56 PM
I am using Explorer 10. I still do not have the buttons to the left of the "NEW" post button and on posts I do not have any buttons at the bottom of the post - for comments, etc. This is as of 6:40 EDT, 10/24/13.

Try deleting your Cookies. That worked for me in IE9...

Indoor66
10-24-2013, 07:01 PM

Eureka! That worked. Thanks. All buttons are there. Also, happily there is a "Forum" button on the SM Nation Front Page that works.

OldPhiKap
10-24-2013, 07:36 PM

Not only did that work for me, I lost 10 pounds. Win win.

77devil
10-24-2013, 09:08 PM
What Bob said, and we're not using fanposts. They're supposed to put a forum feed/link where the fanposts link is currently.

-jk

I receive an access denied message when I click on Forum using Firefox 24.0 which is my default browser. Works fine with IE. Any suggestions for working with Firefox?

Thanks.

BigWayne
10-24-2013, 09:51 PM
I receive an access denied message when I click on Forum using Firefox 24.0 which is my default browser. Works fine with IE. Any suggestions for working with Firefox?

Thanks.

The link on the home page is pointing to:

on IE9, this quickly forwards to

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/forum.php

In firefox, whatever is forwarding from

is not working for me. Even if you turn off the feature to warn when a page forwards, it does not seem
to recognize the forward.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums or
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/forum.php will work in Firefox.

I would suggest changing the link at the home page to be the actual place you end up instead of the page that needs to redirect you.

-jk
10-24-2013, 09:54 PM

Thanks.

That's bizarre. I'm using Firefox (and ie and chrome and safari and opera mini) and haven't had any problems with any of then. It's just a very simple link. There's nothing happening under the hood.

If you right click the forum link and select open in new tab what happens in that new tab? What's the address?

-jk

77devil
10-24-2013, 10:27 PM
That's bizarre. I'm using Firefox (and ie and chrome and safari and opera mini) and haven't had any problems with any of then. It's just a very simple link. There's nothing happening under the hood.

If you right click the forum link and select open in new tab what happens in that new tab? What's the address?

-jk

Same thing. Address is http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/. The link works if I open up a private window from the File drop down menu. Must be gremlins in my machine.

-jk
10-24-2013, 10:49 PM
I think you may be right that it's a machine/browser specific problem. Anyone else having trouble with the forum link?

-jk

JNort
10-25-2013, 12:05 AM
about the move to SBN at the moment. I want to reserve judgement until after I have gotten used to it to avoid making a hasty decision. So far it doesn't look as nice to me, the "old" version seemed much cleaner and more simple. However I won't throw the hammer down just yet.

DueBlevil
10-25-2013, 08:42 AM
I actually find the stories much more readable from a formatting standpoint now. I think the spacing/font size is more reader-friendly now

burnspbesq
10-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Some of the other SBN sites are worth a look.

CollegeCrosse is the place to be during lax season. Matt Glaude aka Hoya Suxa is a smart, funny guy and a real advocate of alternative stats. I fan-posted bracketology there in April. I could use a little help fighting off the hordes of lunactic Cuse fans.

Streaking the Lawn is a good UVa site. Those guys seem to have sources inside the UVa athletic department.

The hordes of lunatic Cuse fans referred to above normally hang out at Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician (gotta be a story behind that). You won't find a nicer group of seriously neurotic fans anywhere. It's going to be fun cruising over there for our daily dose of schadenfreude, in the grand tradition of hitting Inside Carolina after Heel losses and scandals.

Bob Green
10-25-2013, 09:50 AM
I think you may be right that it's a machine/browser specific problem. Anyone else having trouble with the forum link?

-jk

Yesterday, I received the Access Denied on my home computer where I use Firefox. The solution for me was the same as for the other problems folks are encountering - clear cookies and browsing history.

Highlander
10-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Anyone else having problems putting paragraphs into their post? I press the enter button during editing and I get nothing. I am on Windows 8 using IE 10.

Highlander
10-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Anyone else having problems putting paragraphs into their post? I press the enter button during editing and I get nothing. I am on Windows 8 using IE 10.

FWIW, I tested it with Firefox on Win 8 and no issues.

-jk
10-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Is anyone still having any issues with the board? I think most of them have resolved with clearing cookies and/or hitting F5 (refresh).

If anyone is still having issues, please let me know.

thanks,

-jk

OldPhiKap
10-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Is anyone still having any issues with the board? I think most of them have resolved with clearing cookies and/or hitting F5 (refresh).

thanks,

-jk

My posts have lost the edgy, sardonic wit that they had on the old board.

Other than that, the front page looks great and I am thankful that the boards function as before. Thanks, and congrats, to all!

OldPhiKap
10-25-2013, 08:09 PM
BTW, the link between the front page and the "forum" is up and running!

Indoor66
10-25-2013, 08:24 PM
My posts have lost the edgy, sardonic wit that they had on the old board.

Come on old man. What wit? At our age we seem to often fail. :mad:;):confused::cool:

ricks68
10-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Come on old man. What wit? At our age we seem to often fail. :mad:;):confused::cool:

To wit?

ricks

DevilFalcon
10-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Maybe I'm just being an old stickler, but is having betting odds front and center on 'the go to site for Duke Basketball' really the best thing? Is that the representation of Duke we want outsiders to see when they first visit?

I get that it is a way for sb nation to get more hits on that page, but it looks like they have a fair amount of things leading to other parts of their sites as is.

As far as coding/setup the site is a bit quirky on multiple mobile browsers I've tried (Chrome, Dolphin, AOSP, Firefox), but seems to be good overall. Just going to have to get used to how to get to the main articles page on mobile.

Faustus
10-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Weirdly, I still cannot access this forum through the 'new' DBR page. Now I have still old IE 7 (which just *might* be the problem, but it still works fine for me otherwise so I'm not changing that) and haven't tried clearing cookies yet (hitting f5 sure didn't change anything here) for fear of losing even this connection to the forum. In fact I only was able to get here by sheer luck - re-typing in the DBR address in manually, whereby old history memory dropped down 'Elizabeth King Forum' and by clicking that, here I am. Yikes. A weird little trap door from the past, I suppose. I'm leary of clearing cookies which might close even this back door down, but we'll see if I Man up and do it. For now I've just bookmarked this as a separate site so that I can get back to it, which frankly is ok. Otherwise, whenever I click on the forum spot on the new home page, I get 'access denied' as I did all yesterday and Weds. In fact, even when I click in this very page the Home button at upper left to access the main page, when clicking Forum there I still get 'access denied.' And that's linking from this very forum page. Very strange. And all this time I'm still logged in as 'Faustus' too. Strange times... strange times...

Should I not be able to return here after pottering around a little more, it's been a very entertaining and informative last 10 years or so, mostly lurking but always fun...

OldPhiKap
10-26-2013, 03:17 AM
Odd, I had the comment box but now it is gone. Has that happened to anyone else or is it me?

Odder still, if I hit where the box should be, the comment pop-up opens. So the feature is there, just not the icon.

cowetarock
10-26-2013, 10:35 AM

thanks,

-jk

At the time of the great transition I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and loss all of my bookmarks. Now I can not find your links list. Please restore the list or direct me to another source.

-jk
10-26-2013, 11:11 AM
At the time of the great transition I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and loss all of my bookmarks. Now I can not find your links list. Please restore the list or direct me to another source.

I'll talk with Julian and see if we can post it somewhere. Meanwhile, you can find an older version here (https://web.archive.org/web/20131005083556/http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/links/), though you'll need to edit the links to remove the archive.org part.

-jk

uh_no
10-26-2013, 12:17 PM
only quibble is it now takes 2 clicks to get to the EK board instead of 1! Any way we can get a direct links to the boards from the front page instead of having to go through the forum front page first?

Jarhead
10-26-2013, 01:45 PM
I've been unconscious, well, almost for a few days, long story. Now that I am back, I can get to the front page, but it is impossible to get to the forums from there. When I click on Forums it says, almost rudely, Access denied. In order to find the forums, I have to go to http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/. It works, but it is an extra step, similar to going to a men's clothing store, and having to leave the building to go to business suits, or to casual wear, or shoes. Some of the intimacy of the now gone format is also gone. By the way, I use firefox.

-jk
10-26-2013, 01:54 PM
I've been unconscious, well, almost for a few days, long story. Now that I am back, I can get to the front page, but it is impossible to get to the forums from there. When I click on Forums it says, almost rudely, Access denied. In order to find the forums, I have to go to http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/. It works, but it is an extra step, similar to going to a men's clothing store, and having to leave the building to go to business suits, or to casual wear, or shoes. Some of the intimacy of the now gone format is also gone. By the way, I use firefox.

I think most of the issues have resolved with clearing cookies and/or hitting F5 (refresh). Have you tried those yet?

-jk

ricks68
10-26-2013, 07:25 PM
only quibble is it now takes 2 clicks to get to the EK board instead of 1! Any way we can get a direct links to the boards from the front page instead of having to go through the forum front page first?

Can't you just put a shortcut directly to the EK board?

ricks

DukeDevil
10-26-2013, 10:28 PM
so I'm assuming the migration killed the app, as it no longer works. I started reading through to see if I could find mention of what will happen to this (honestly I took a hiatus for a while and the migration itself surprised me as I missed the announcement). Any word on if there will be a new one available to people?

DD

-jk
10-26-2013, 10:34 PM
so I'm assuming the migration killed the app, as it no longer works. I started reading through to see if I could find mention of what will happen to this (honestly I took a hiatus for a while and the migration itself surprised me as I missed the announcement). Any word on if there will be a new one available to people?

DD

Not sure about an app, but if you have an RSS reader, you can use http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/rss/current to summarize the site.

-jk

uh_no
10-27-2013, 01:47 AM
Can't you just put a shortcut directly to the EK board?

ricks

i could do a lot of things......i was simply pointing out a small area in which the change had impacted usability.

Dukeface88
10-27-2013, 02:32 PM

-jk

Just for refernce, I get the http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/ "access denied" link in IE10, but go the right page in Firefox 24.0. Clearing the cookies and refreshing didn't fix it.

-jk
10-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Just so I'm clear, you're clicking the link on the main page menu bar and getting the error, but only in IE.

Do you have any trouble reaching the board from IE if you type the address directly?

- jk

Dukeface88
10-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Just so I'm clear, you're clicking the link on the main page menu bar and getting the error, but only in IE.

Yep.

Do you have any trouble reaching the board from IE if you type the address directly?

- jk

No, that works fine.

It's not a big deal, I just figured it might help with identifying whatever the issue is.

-jk
10-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Yep.

No, that works fine.

It's not a big deal, I just figured it might help with identifying whatever the issue is.

That's data. Thanks. I'm still trying to figure why a simple link fails, but only on some machines.

If anyone still getting the "access denied" error could post the OS (windows, mac, ios, whatever) and version, as well as which browser (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, whatever) and version you're using, I'd appreciate it. I have a bad feeling it'll turn out to be a weird security setting or extension. Meanwhile I'll see if SBN can point the "forum" link directly to the EK forum.

thanks,

-jk

Faustus
10-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Well thanks hugely, jk, as it looks like the f5 somehow has fixed it for me (clearing cookies didn't for equally mysterious reasons). I think I'm good to go again (I think), which is very nice, too, as this certainly is a good time to be able to see the forum boards again.

I do wonder, though, if there are other old geezers (and/or geezerettes) like me who did not serendipidously fall down a rabbit hole like I did into the forums again without getting access through the proper spot on the new main page, and thus may not have any recourse to see this info for getting reattached to the Mother Ship. Earlier from my old browser, the alternate site for this board listed on the main page also sent me to the "access denied" screen, and there was no obvious way to see this explanatory thread. Let's hope everyone is safely home again by now.

Newton_14
10-27-2013, 07:29 PM

DD

I have the I-Phone 4S and my App works fine since the change. No issues at all. Goes straight to the new board. What kind of phone do you use?

Jarhead
10-27-2013, 10:35 PM

- jk

I'm using Firefox v24, and I was getting the access denied response on clicking the main page menu, but I found other ways to get to the forums. The F5 key did it, but not now. Now I get there using the main page menu bar. I hope it stays that way. At least we still have the forums, but I miss the old main page, all of the links and the high quality Duke-centric information that it provided. Now I have decided to bookmark the link that gets me to the forums, and to GoDuke.Com. I'll try to get used to the new stuff, though.

wtpeters
10-28-2013, 10:36 AM
New format is visually appealing. However, I find the navigation in DBR to be difficult, but I am managing!

allenmurray
10-29-2013, 08:39 AM
New format is visually appealing.

I think it looks . . . generic. DBR used to have a distinctive look, now it looks like any other fan site.

GGLC
10-29-2013, 12:02 PM
I find it both generic and confusing. Weirdly, I have much less trouble navigating the SBNation homepage and the Niners Nation site, which are the two other SBN pages I frequent.

-jk
10-29-2013, 12:25 PM
I find it both generic and confusing. Weirdly, I have much less trouble navigating the SBNation homepage and the Niners Nation site, which are the two other SBN pages I frequent.

I think Julian's still getting used to it, and what he can do with it.

-jk

J.Blink
10-29-2013, 11:36 PM

I agree that the new DBR does look more "generic." I don't hink that can be denied, but it's also not necessarily a bad thing. I normally don't comment on site changes like this one, as I recognize in myself that I rarely like changes to sites with comfortable interfaces--I'm not even going to mention Facebook (though I like iOS7, oddly enough)!

The old DBR had its charm, but it looked dated. I personally found the text-heavy list of articles on the left far, far easier to navigate than the new graphical layout, but I'm sure I'll get used to the new system. I'm taking my own opinion with a grain of salt here.

On the plus side, I imagine that searchability and archives will be vastly improved now that DBR is on the sbnation platform.

Two questions:

1) Will comments ever be enabled for DBR posts? I can see that being a draw for the site.

2) Will the schedules ever come back? I used those frequently.

wtpeters
10-30-2013, 11:20 AM
There was an RSS feed on the news items on the old DBR. I don't see any such feed now. Any help?

-jk
10-30-2013, 02:06 PM
I agree that the new DBR does look more "generic." I don't hink that can be denied, but it's also not necessarily a bad thing. I normally don't comment on site changes like this one, as I recognize in myself that I rarely like changes to sites with comfortable interfaces--I'm not even going to mention Facebook (though I like iOS7, oddly enough)!

The old DBR had its charm, but it looked dated. I personally found the text-heavy list of articles on the left far, far easier to navigate than the new graphical layout, but I'm sure I'll get used to the new system. I'm taking my own opinion with a grain of salt here.

On the plus side, I imagine that searchability and archives will be vastly improved now that DBR is on the sbnation platform.

Two questions:

1) Will comments ever be enabled for DBR posts? I can see that being a draw for the site.

2) Will the schedules ever come back? I used those frequently.

As we've said before, at this point we want to keep the discussions in these forums. We want to neither fragment the community, nor put a greater mod burden on the volunteers.

Julian is just beginning to get a feel for how the new software works. As time marches on, he'll add more functionality back in. Meanwhile, GoDuke has a nice schedule.

-jk

-jk
10-30-2013, 02:08 PM
There was an RSS feed on the news items on the old DBR. I don't see any such feed now. Any help?

You can find the new RSS feed here: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/rss/current

-jk

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-02-2013, 09:17 AM
My only negative feedback is that on my Android tablet, there is not a link to get to the forum. I have it bookmarked, so it isn't a big deal, but just thought I would toss it out there.

Thanks to everyone who put in hard work

-jk
11-02-2013, 10:19 AM
My only negative feedback is that on my Android tablet, there is not a link to get to the forum. I have it bookmarked, so it isn't a big deal, but just thought I would toss it out there.

Thanks to everyone who put in hard work

In the mobile view of SBN, you can find the newish icon for a menu - it's the one with three horizontal bars off to the right of the DBR logo. It shows the forum link.

-jk

Jarhead
11-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Now that I can find everything such as all of those links (I really missed them), and I have gotten used to the topography, I am finally comfortable with the New DBR. Thanks for a job well done. Do you think you might be able help the DHS?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-04-2013, 12:29 PM
In the mobile view of SBN, you can find the newish icon for a menu - it's the one with three horizontal bars off to the right of the DBR logo. It shows the forum link.

-jk

Not on my Samsung. That pulls up "SB Nation, all 312 blogs and search."

No forums.

-jk
11-04-2013, 12:41 PM

No forums.

This is the mobile view on Safari on my iphone, with the three-bar icon off to the right of the DBR logo:

This is the menu I get, with the forum link:

Are you not seeing these? What browser are you using?

-jk

devil84
11-04-2013, 03:31 PM

No forums.

Not sure why it goes there, but scroll up.

3658My Samsung phone starts at the top of the menu, and if I scroll all the way down -- WAY, WAY down -- I'll see the SBNation, all 312 blogs, and Search options (pictures shows the screen scrolled down). I have to scroll past a blank blue portion that's about 2 full pages long, or 7 of the plus signs in the quote bubble icons in the white margin on the left of the screen. Keep scrolling up.

[EDIT: The picture shows the menu scrolled down. For me, it opens at the top, like -jk's pic, above.]

-jk
11-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Not sure why it goes there, but scroll up.

3658My Samsung phone starts at the top of the menu, and if I scroll all the way down -- WAY, WAY down -- I'll see the SBNation, all 312 blogs, and Search options (pictures shows the screen scrolled down). I have to scroll past a blank blue portion that's about 2 full pages long, or 7 of the plus signs in the quote bubble icons in the white margin on the left of the screen. Keep scrolling up.

Nice find - I never even knew that part of the menu was there!

-jk

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-04-2013, 07:37 PM
I have the same menu devil84 does in Chrome on my Galaxy. I don't get -jk's menu anywhere.

As I say, it isn't a big deal, just sort of an odd quirk.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-04-2013, 07:42 PM
On a lark, I installed Firefox and got the same result.

-jk
11-04-2013, 07:45 PM
I have the same menu devil84 does in Chrome on my Galaxy. I don't get -jk's menu anywhere.

As I say, it isn't a big deal, just sort of an odd quirk.

Except what devil84 got was after scrolling way down on the menu. What do you get if you scroll way up?

-jk

cowetarock
11-05-2013, 02:17 AM
I requested. You delivered. Thank you.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-05-2013, 06:24 AM
Except what devil84 got was after scrolling way down on the menu. What do you get if you scroll way up?

-jk

My menu is the same as his, only it pops up in normal fashion at the top of the screen. Scrolling up and/or down doesn't lead to any hidden gems.

-jk
11-06-2013, 09:36 AM
My menu is the same as his, only it pops up in normal fashion at the top of the screen. Scrolling up and/or down doesn't lead to any hidden gems.

I stopped by my local Verizon Wireless store yesterday, and looked at the site on several phones. All showed the menu appropriately. Is anyone else having trouble using the menu icon on smart phones?

-jk

DrChainsaw
11-06-2013, 10:09 AM
I stopped by my local Verizon Wireless store yesterday, and looked at the site on several phones. All showed the menu appropriately. Is anyone else having trouble using the menu icon on smart phones?

-jk

This is the same problem I have on Kindle Fire - the menu that gets pulled up has only "SB Nation, all 312 blogs and search." I have tried scrolling way down, but haven't found anything yet.

94duke
11-06-2013, 01:57 PM
No problem with Chrome Browser on Samsung Galaxy Note running Android 4.1.2.

nmduke2001
11-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Any news on the schedule with the TV listing? I know it's now available on GoDuke.com but it's awfully nice to have it here. Thanks.

devil84
11-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Any news on the schedule with the TV listing? I know it's now available on GoDuke.com but it's awfully nice to have it here. Thanks.

Yes, I like easy links, too. Originally, I had thought Julio had a link to a schedule in the Forums or Library tabs on the main page. It's not there now, though. So I added a Resources link in the menu bar (under the menu bar to select each forum). It will open a drop-down menu with a link to the GoDuke.com schedule that will open in another tab. As soon as we get our own up and running, I'll change it to point to ours.

Enjoy!