PDA

View Full Version : The greatest Duke FB comeback?

Olympic Fan
10-20-2013, 01:20 PM
I need some help ...

I was trying to figure out if yesterday's rally from 22 points down was the greatest comeback in Duke history.

The football brochure only lists comebacks from halftime and second half deficits -- the biggest there was a 21-point rally (which Duke has done twice -- against Georgia Tech in 1950 and at Florida in 1962).

Obviously, the halftime deficit Saturday was 22-7 ... the 15-point comeback ranks as the seventh best rally in Duke history.

But I've checked at Duke and they don't have anything except the halftime comebacks. I've followed Duke football for many years and try as I might to rack my brain, I can't recall a bigger overall comeback. Can any of you?

The two 21-point halftime comebacks were both 21-0 at the half ... and the opponent didn't score in the second half. Of the big halftime comebacks, the only one that might be more than 22 was a Nov. 12, 1982 rally against NC State (I think that was the first night game at Wade -- with portable lights yet!). Duke was down 26-7 in the third quarter and rallied to win 27-26. But as I remember it, it was 19-7 at the half and State scored to open the third quarter and 19 was the biggest deficit.

Am I missing one? Or was Saturday the greatest comeback in Duke football history?

PS Interesting parallel the other way -- just last season, Duke led Virginia Tech 20-0 in the first quarter ... and VPI scored the last 41 points of the game.

CameronBornAndBred
10-20-2013, 01:45 PM
PS Interesting parallel the other way -- just last season, Duke led Virginia Tech 20-0 in the first quarter ... and VPI scored the last 41 points of the game.

I am sure the team will be thinking of both yesterday and last year while preparing for the now ranked 16th Hokies.
Interesting question you ask...I don't know the answer but it has to be up there. I do know yesterday was both the Wahoos' best and worst halves of the season. Nice accomplishment in one game. :D

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-20-2013, 01:55 PM
I need some help ...

I was trying to figure out if yesterday's rally from 22 points down was the greatest comeback in Duke history.

The football brochure only lists comebacks from halftime and second half deficits -- the biggest there was a 21-point rally (which Duke has done twice -- against Georgia Tech in 1950 and at Florida in 1962).

Obviously, the halftime deficit Saturday was 22-7 ... the 15-point comeback ranks as the seventh best rally in Duke history.

But I've checked at Duke and they don't have anything except the halftime comebacks. I've followed Duke football for many years and try as I might to rack my brain, I can't recall a bigger overall comeback. Can any of you?

The two 21-point halftime comebacks were both 21-0 at the half ... and the opponent didn't score in the second half. Of the big halftime comebacks, the only one that might be more than 22 was a Nov. 12, 1982 rally against NC State (I think that was the first night game at Wade -- with portable lights yet!). Duke was down 26-7 in the third quarter and rallied to win 27-26. But as I remember it, it was 19-7 at the half and State scored to open the third quarter and 19 was the biggest deficit.

Am I missing one? Or was Saturday the greatest comeback in Duke football history?

It all depends on how you define the greatest comebacks. I would pick the 1960 game with Navy as one worthy of such a list. Navy had Joe Bellino in the backfield for that game (one of two Navy players to be selected as a Heisman winner). Navy scored 10 in the first half. Duke couldn't seem to get a point no matter what they did. In the second half, Duke outscored Navy 19 to zip and won a thriller of a game.

BTW the crowd in Wallace Wade that day numbered 46,000. Duke's national ranking at the end of that season was #10 in the country. That Duke team went on to the Cotton Bowl where they beat Arkansas 7-6.

Olympic Fan
10-20-2013, 02:21 PM
It all depends on how you define the greatest comebacks. I would pick the 1960 game with Navy as one worthy of such a list. Navy had Joe Bellino in the backfield for that game (one of two Navy players to be selected as a Heisman winner). Navy scored 10 in the first half. Duke couldn't seem to get a point no matter what they did. In the second half, Duke outscored Navy 19 to zip and won a thriller of a game.

BTW the crowd in Wallace Wade that day numbered 46,000. Duke's national ranking at the end of that season was #10 in the country. That Duke team went on to the Cotton Bowl where they beat Arkansas 7-6.

I agree that was an amazing comeback as was the Clemson rally in 1989 (Duke rallied from a 14-0 halftime deficit to beat the No. 7 team 21-17). Navy was No. 4 in the nation when Duke rallied against them in 1960, Considering the competition, I could see either Navy 1960 or Clemson in 1989 argued as the "greatest" comeback for Duke.

But I'm looking for the greatest numerical comeback .. I still think Saturday's 22-0 rally is it.

PS Do all you guys know that Duke owns the greatest comeback in NCAA basketball history? Dick Groat led Duke back from a 32-point second half deficit to beat Tulane 74-72 in the consolation game of the 1950 Dixie Classic.

Devil549
10-20-2013, 07:01 PM
The 1982 game was on TBS when they showed some night games on Thursdays and Ben Bennett was reason Duke game was on. IIRC it was first night games as portable lights were brought in. Back in 1970s and earlier NCSU and ECU had lights but not Unc-ch or Duke.....don't know about WF.

matt1
10-20-2013, 07:47 PM
That Duke team went on to the Cotton Bowl where they beat Arkansas 7-6.

That was our last bowl victory, but I sense one coming soon, probably this year.

duke09hms
10-20-2013, 08:49 PM
That was our last bowl victory, but I sense one coming soon, probably this year.

dude, I've been following Duke football since 2007 . . . we're not even guaranteed to make a bowl this year man. Finishing 5-7 is a real possibility. Let's get into a bowl first before we start predicting bowl wins.

Olympic Fan
10-21-2013, 01:15 AM
dude, I've been following Duke football since 2007 . . . we're not even guaranteed to make a bowl this year man. Finishing 5-7 is a real possibility. Let's get into a bowl first before we start predicting bowl wins.

Dude, I've been following Duke football since 1957 and I don't understand your negativity.

matt simply expressed a little optimism -- he "sensed" a bowl victory coming this year. Yeah, we could finish 5-7. We could also finish 12-2 (if we win out, we probably win the division, then win the title game, then win the Orange Bowl). I know that's not very likely -- in fact, it's well nigh impossible. But winning another 2-3 games is not only possible, it's not even unlikely.

We're fans ... we're not players or coaches. We have the right to look ahead.

throatybeard
10-21-2013, 03:07 AM
I've been following Rihanna since 2007.

CameronBlue
10-21-2013, 03:54 AM
I've been following Rihanna since 2007.

There's been talk of a restraining order.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-21-2013, 08:19 AM
The 1982 game was on TBS when they showed some night games on Thursdays and Ben Bennett was reason Duke game was on. IIRC it was first night games as portable lights were brought in. Back in 1970s and earlier NCSU and ECU had lights but not Unc-ch or Duke.....don't know about WF.
Mmmm, not quite right. Here's my First Nighter pin, which obviously I still have. And yes, 12-2 sounds right to me!

CameronBornAndBred
10-21-2013, 08:20 AM
Dude, I've been following Duke football since 1957 and I don't understand your negativity.

matt simply expressed a little optimism -- he "sensed" a bowl victory coming this year. Yeah, we could finish 5-7. We could also finish 12-2 (if we win out, we probably win the division, then win the title game, then win the Orange Bowl). I know that's not very likely -- in fact, it's well nigh impossible. But winning another 2-3 games is not only possible, it's not even unlikely.

Totally agree with that sentiment. Interesting note about bowl bids this year. Heather Dinich has us going to the Belk Bowl in her latest projections. She also has Wake and State staying home, even though she thinks they will be eligible.

we believe the ACC will have more bowl eligible teams than available slots
She may very well be right, and if so, know that 7, and not 6 wins this year may be the magic number.
I predicted us with 8 wins in the beginning of the year, but that total included beating Pitt. 7 is still doable. (So is 8.)
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/61906/acc-bowl-projections-week-8-3

jcastranio
10-21-2013, 08:32 AM
It was a year after my 1981 graduation.

That might have been one of the most exciting moments I have been a part of. My faulty memory recalls a death-defying last minute drive, complete with 4th down passes and a game-winning touchdown touchdown pass on just about the last play of the game (might have been fourth down, too). We all stormed the field afterward.

In addition, as I recall, played golf Friday (teacher workday), huge party at the quarry on Saturday, Cowboys - Redskins on Sunday, and to Greensboro Sunday night to see Phil Collins and Genesis. Awesome, awesome weekend. Life-changing weekend. Man, Monday morning at the high school was rough.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-21-2013, 10:34 AM

I agree regarding feeling some optimism..... and I've been following Duke football about as long as you have. Someone from my family has been in Wallace Wade for most of the games since the first one in 1929.

I also heartily agree about none of us being coaches or former Duke players. Most of the scenarios fans discuss have no connection with what's really going in behind the scenes. The talk of animosity between coaches at different schools or between players at competing schools is generally fan speak. The attempts to analyze what's in players' or coaches' minds and what their motivations are is also the stuff of fantasy. How do I know this? I know the people.

Reilly
10-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Any thread of great Duke FB comebacks has to include Duke's tie at South Carolina in 1991. We scored twice late, and I think there was a 2-point conversion and an onsides kick recovery in there (and maybe a left-handed Dave Brown pass?). A friend and I were singing "Fight, Fight Blue Devils" going through the grass field parking lots post-game ... when a menacing voice, full of malice and w/ no jokiness intended, came from a group of guys sitting in the dark on a car hood: "y'all better shut up and get the hell on home." We promptly took their kind advice.

I had the pleasure to be at the 1989 Clemson, 1991 South Carolina, and 2013 Virginia games.

loran16
10-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Totally agree with that sentiment. Interesting note about bowl bids this year. Heather Dinich has us going to the Belk Bowl in her latest projections. She also has Wake and State staying home, even though she thinks they will be eligible.

She may very well be right, and if so, know that 7, and not 6 wins this year may be the magic number.
I predicted us with 8 wins in the beginning of the year, but that total included beating Pitt. 7 is still doable. (So is 8.)
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/61906/acc-bowl-projections-week-8-3

Remember, 7 wins DOES NOT get you in automatically. A 7-5 team CAN be left out for a 6-6 team.

Olympic Fan
10-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Remember, 7 wins DOES NOT get you in automatically. A 7-5 team CAN be left out for a 6-6 team.

Worry about something else (and in another thread). If Duke gets to six wins, Duke will be in a bowl. Count on it.

CameronBornAndBred
10-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Worry about something else (and in another thread). If Duke gets to six wins, Duke will be in a bowl. Count on it.
To be fair to both Loran and I (even though Loran is wrong ;) ) the other thread was started after I posted here.
I would be surprised if any 6-6 team were chosen over a 7-5 team. I also don't think Duke goes only 6-6 this year.