PDA

View Full Version : Big Blow to Louisville MBB

tommy
10-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Starting forward Chase Behanan is no longer a member of the Louisville basketball team, as he has been suspended by the university.

dukelifer
10-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Starting forward Chase Behanan is no longer a member of the Louisville basketball team, as he has been suspended by the university.

Did something change? The last report was that he was still enrolled in classes?

Atlanta Duke
10-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Did something change? The last report was that he was still enrolled in classes?

"Indefinite" suspension

On Thursday, the team announced that Behanan has been suspended for an indefinite term. He could come back in mid-December. But there are no guarantees that he’ll ever return. ...

It doesn’t sound as if Pitino expects Behanan to return to the rotation in the near future.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/89228/behanan-could-have-been-a-leader

Cameron
10-17-2013, 10:39 PM
From the information I've gathered, I believe this is a university matter and not a team matter, as Tommy pointed out. It appears as if the University of Louisville has suspended Behanan for at least the first semester, which is why the earliest he could possibly return is the middle of December.

Unless he's kicked out of school for good, I envision him playing this season. I like Rick Pitino, but he has really tip-toed around this issue. First he stated that Behanan had been kicked off the team, then suspended "indefinitely," before finally being ruled out for the first semester after the school apparently suspended his student status. Or maybe I am reading it wrong. I don't know.

Atlanta Duke
10-17-2013, 10:54 PM
From the information I've gathered, I believe this is a university matter and not a team matter, as Tommy pointed out. It appears as if the University of Louisville has suspended Behanan for at least the first semester, which is why the earliest he could possibly return is the middle of December.

Unless he's kicked out of school for good, I envision him playing this season. I like Rick Pitino, but he has really tip-toed around this issue. First he stated that Behanan had been kicked off the team, then suspended "indefinitely," before finally being ruled out for the first semester after the school apparently suspended his student status. Or maybe I am reading it wrong. I don't know.

Pitino said it was an athletic department call but, as you note, is not giving specifics other than indicating some sort of assault allegations are not involved

Pitino and athletic director Tom Jurich met recently and made the decision to suspend Behanan, a Cincinnati native who came to U of L out of Bowling Green High School....

Pitino didn’t elaborate on what Behanan did, though he said the junior “wouldn’t hurt a fly” and it’s nothing violent.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20131017/SPORTS02/310170068/Chane-Behanan-suspended-indefinitely-from-Louisville-basketball-team

MCFinARL
10-18-2013, 08:30 AM
According to a short item in this morning's Washington Post, "Pitino said arrangements had been made for Behanan to return after he committed the infraction but that the player violated those conditions in less than a week." So whatever is going on, it seems there may be an issue about whether Behanan has the will and maturity to take responsibility and learn from the situation.

flyingdutchdevil
10-18-2013, 09:20 AM
According to a short item in this morning's Washington Post, "Pitino said arrangements had been made for Behanan to return after he committed the infraction but that the player violated those conditions in less than a week." So whatever is going on, it seems there may be an issue about whether Behanan has the will and maturity to take responsibility and learn from the situation.

I have a lot of respect for Pitino and, while he has made some poor decisions in less than 15 seconds, I think he'll do the right thing.

Having read Wojciechowski's 'The Last Great Game,' Pitino is a coach who really cares about his players. I respect that.

JasonEvans
10-18-2013, 03:37 PM
I have a lot of respect for Pitino and, while he has made some poor decisions in less than 15 seconds, I think he'll do the right thing.

Having read Wojciechowski's 'The Last Great Game,' Pitino is a coach who really cares about his players. I respect that.

Ummm, he may care about his players on a personal level, but he sure does not care about educating them. Louisvlle has historically been one of the worst schools among all of those in the BCS at graduating its players (I believe they were around 33% grad rate last year) and is notorious for taking kids of somewhat skeptical academic abilities.

It is not all Pitino's fault. With a USN&WR ranking of #161 among national universities, Louisville is not academically in the same league with the rest of the ACC. Culturally, they are a terrible addition to the ACC.

-Jason "sigh... I fear this post will open a can of worms but I could not just let Pitino slip by as a guy worthy of respect... in my book, he ain't" Evans

Cameron
10-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Ummm, he may care about his players on a personal level, but he sure does not care about educating them. Louisvlle has historically been one of the worst schools among all of those in the BCS at graduating its players (I believe they were around 33% grad rate last year) and is notorious for taking kids of somewhat skeptical academic abilities.

It is not all Pitino's fault. With a USN&WR ranking of #161 among national universities, Louisville is not academically in the same league with the rest of the ACC. Culturally, they are a terrible addition to the ACC.

-Jason "sigh... I fear this post will open a can of worms but I could not just let Pitino slip by as a guy worthy of respect... in my book, he ain't" Evans

While I like Rick Pitino, as noted in my post above, it is purely because of his masterful ability as a basketball coach and innovator of the game. Kentucky is one of those handful of schools that I never want to see succeed in anything, whether basketball or badminton, but damn if those Wildcats of the nineteen nineties where not fun to watch. The man can recruit and coach the hell out of a basketball team. My admiration for Rick Pitino, however, extends no further than he can toss a basketball.

tommy
10-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Per Pitino, Behanan will now be back "in a short period of time." (http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/blogs/sports_blog/article_4a4481f0-3d14-11e3-8524-001a4bcf887a.html?_dc=352277562720.7011) Wasn't it only a week or so ago that he was "no longer part of our basketball team?" I'm shocked, just shocked . . .

Duvall
10-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Per Pitino, Behanan will now be back "in a short period of time." (http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/blogs/sports_blog/article_4a4481f0-3d14-11e3-8524-001a4bcf887a.html?_dc=352277562720.7011) Wasn't it only a week or so ago that he was "no longer part of our basketball team?" I'm shocked, just shocked . . .

Still a week longer than Hairston, though.

tommy
12-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Behanan is off the team again. Sounds like this time it's permanent. Significant loss for the Cardinals, as he was averaging 7.6 points and 6.3 boards. Here's the link.

(http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10215391/kevin-ware-louisville-cardinals-redshirt-chane-behanan-dismissed)It also includes the news that Kevin Ware is looking like he's going to have to medically redshirt this season after a valiant effort to make it back to health.

FerryFor50
12-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Behanan is off the team again. Sounds like this time it's permanent. Significant loss for the Cardinals, as he was averaging 7.6 points and 6.3 boards. Here's the link.

(http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10215391/kevin-ware-louisville-cardinals-redshirt-chane-behanan-dismissed)It also includes the news that Kevin Ware is looking like he's going to have to medically redshirt this season after a valiant effort to make it back to health.

Must have really learned his lesson the first time...

At least Pitino waited to see if he could beat UK. :rolleyes:

luburch
12-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Awfully convenient that this happened right after the Kentucky game. The only thing I can think of is that they gave him until the end of the month to get his act together and he wasn't able to.

Bluedog
12-30-2013, 02:33 PM
Definitely hurts...I was watching "Men of March: Rick Pitino" on CBS on Saturday and he had mentioned the fact that there are a couple guys on Louisville's team that would DEFINITELY be kicked out already if he was the coach at Kentucky still. But he said that he has learned throughout the years (from his person experiences) that in his mind it's better to give guys a second chance and to learn from their mistakes, and help them to improve on their ways, rather they kick them off. I'm sure he was talking about Behanan ... but after a certain point, you have no choice as it sounds like the University was no longer willing to bend anymore to keep him on the team. (I'm all for second chances under certain circumstances, but a university should have high standards for ethics and academics that apply just as much to its athletes as to any other student.)

uh_no
12-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Awfully convenient that this happened right after the Kentucky game.

i'm sure a game in december was much more important to the UL than a potential championship run /s

FerryFor50
12-30-2013, 02:37 PM
i'm sure a game in december was much more important to the UL than a potential championship run /s

Well, it *is* UK. Pitino's former coaching gig and the Kentucky version of Duke/UNC. Not that far-fetched...

uh_no
12-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Seeing as it was a University issue, the team probably had little say. It would be like saying Duke waited until after the acc championship to suspend jela

FerryFor50
12-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Seeing as it was a University issue, the team probably had little say. It would be like saying Duke waited until after the acc championship to suspend jela

Jela's suspension had to do with academics. We can assume that Behanan's suspension had nothing to do with academics since the reason behind it was not mentioned. Generally when a report doesn't mention the transgression, it's usually something a little more nefarious than academic issues.

What you are suggesting is that a university would never put athletic interests ahead of ethics... I think we both can see the flaw in that logic. :)

I suspect that Behanan was having issues well after his initial suspension and well before the Kentucky game. The timing of the suspension is interesting, to say the least.

uh_no
12-30-2013, 04:44 PM
What you are suggesting is that a university would never put athletic interests ahead of ethics...

Thank you for the straw man. All I am saying is that there is zero basis for supposing the uk/ul had anything to do with the timing of this suspension... Ams saying so is akin to unc posters who supposed similar things about jela. For all we know he could have been busted doingpot in a dorm after getting back forum from the game....

FerryFor50
12-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Thank you for the straw man. All I am saying is that there is zero basis for supposing the uk/ul had anything to do with the timing of this suspension... Ams saying so is akin to unc posters who supposed similar things about jela. For all we know he could have been busted doingpot in a dorm after getting back forum from the game....

How is that a straw man?

You suggested that the suspension was out of Pitino's control and handled by the university. My argument was that it's not unprecedented for a university to put $$ and athletics ahead of ethics.

Since the report did nothing to quell any speculation, and instead was vague, all we are left with is speculation. You're right - this could have happened after the game. Or it could have happened weeks prior.

uh_no
12-30-2013, 05:24 PM
How is that a straw man?

You took my statement and bastardized it to apply to every decision ever made by a university sports team ever... which is trivial to attack....the definition of a straw man argument

FerryFor50
12-30-2013, 05:31 PM
You took my statement and bastardized it to apply to every decision ever made by a university sports team ever... which is trivial to attack....the definition of a straw man argument

No, I didn't. That might have been how you interpreted it. It was more of a thinly veiled shot at UNC's recent woes. :)

luburch
12-31-2013, 09:09 AM

Well I know that's not true because Pitino claimed Behanan knew it was coming and that's why he played so poorly against UK

duke96
01-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Sounds like drug and/or alcohol issues.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10231602/chane-behanan-louisville-cardinals-work-john-lucas

jv001
01-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Sounds like drug and/or alcohol issues.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10231602/chane-behanan-louisville-cardinals-work-john-lucas

The article says that the number of teams interested in Behanan is in the double figure range. I hope one of those schools is not unc, because I hope the young man get's better not worse. GoDuke!

TruBlu
01-03-2014, 09:17 AM
The article says that the number of teams interested in Behanan is in the double figure range. I hope one of those schools is not unc, because I hope the young man get's better not worse. GoDuke!

But, if he transfers to UNC-CH, he will get in better shape from ole Roy making him run extra laps, then will get a nice house to rent. Plus, he will get a nice ride in a felon's rental car while temporarily on the team.

Just kidding. I hope that he (like any struggling young man) finds his way.

sagegrouse
01-03-2014, 09:23 AM
But, if he transfers to UNC-CH, he will get in better shape from ole Roy making him run extra laps, then will get a nice house to rent. Plus, he will get a nice ride in a felon's rental car while temporarily on the team.

Just kidding. I hope that he (like any struggling young man) finds his way.

It seems obvious that he should just transfer to the University of Colorado or Colorado State. He may have to restrict his "drug of choice" somewhat, but it is probably easier in the long run.

Ichabod Drain
01-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Didn't know if it warrants it's own thread but Jeff Goodman is reporting that Mitch McGary will undergo back surgery Tuesday. Most Likely out for the year. Real shame and a big hit for Michigan.

tommy
01-03-2014, 10:56 AM

UNC is not on his list but, surprisingly, Northwestern is. Chris Collins, really?

Actually I think there's only a slim chance Behanon transfers anywhere. I think he's gonna just forget about college and do the best he can to prepare for next year's draft.

superdave
01-03-2014, 11:49 AM
UNC is not on his list but, surprisingly, Northwestern is. Chris Collins, really?

Actually I think there's only a slim chance Behanon transfers anywhere. I think he's gonna just forget about college and do the best he can to prepare for next year's draft.

What are the rules on guys like him going to the D-League during the season?

(Asking for my buddy SchmeeJay Schmairston)

TruBlu
01-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Are you saying UNC is in the D-League? Explains a lot if true.

subzero02
01-03-2014, 05:17 PM

I was thinking the same thing... Could the D-League become the island of misfit toys for collegiate rejects... Grant, Behanan, and Schmairston could be trailblazers( or whatever their d-league affiliate is ;-) )

Ichabod Drain
01-03-2014, 07:15 PM

He can go to one of the three D-League teams that are not associated with an NBA team.

Newton_14
01-03-2014, 10:45 PM
He can go to one of the three D-League teams that are not associated with an NBA team.

I thought he could go to any of the D League teams, but have to go through the draft this June before being allowed to play in the NBA. Do the rules really limit him and others in the same scenario to just those three unaffiliated teams?

Thanks

tommy
01-27-2014, 06:06 PM
It seems obvious that he should just transfer to the University of Colorado or Colorado State. He may have to restrict his "drug of choice" somewhat, but it is probably easier in the long run.

Great call on Chane Behanon, Sage! Colorado State it is!