PDA

View Full Version : Duke Elevate

Billy Dat
10-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Following the coverage of the team's Columbus Day weekend trip to NY made me think of the following quote K issued when Lebron won SI's Sportsman of the Year:

"The game is a house, and some players only have one or two windows in their house because they can’t absorb any more light,” says Mike Krzyzewski, head coach of Team USA. “When I met LeBron, he only had a few windows, but then he learned how beautiful the game can be, so he put more windows in. Now he sees the damn game so well, it’s like he lives in a glass building. He has entered a state of mastery. There’s nothing he can’t do. God gave him a lot but he is using everything. He’s one of the unique sports figures of all time, really, and he’s right in that area where it’s all come together. A voracious mind has caught up with a supreme body. The marriage is a marvel.”

I feel like K has reached some new level of mastery when it comes to the whole package of running a college basketball program, and I am not sure he could have reached this level until this moment in time because many of the seeds he planted long ago have now fully flowered.

This trip to New York is the "launch" of a new program called "Duke Elevate". Here's the official language from Duke Blue Planet, "The trip is part of our new Duke Elevate program, which has already included speakers Grant Hill, Gerald Henderson and Jay Bilas. We launched Duke Elevate because a Duke Basketball player is always a Duke Basketball player. On and off the court. In practice and on campus. You learn it, you understand it and then you own it. Duke Elevate is our way of teaching and promoting Duke Basketball’s values, standards and lessons that transcend the game. The program provides memorable experiences that will outlast the bouncing ball. Our players interact with and learn from uncommon professionals we respect at the highest level. Duke Elevate has four themes that are essential to a Duke Basketball Player: PERSPECTIVE, CHARACTER, PRIDE AND ACCOUNTABILITY. Launched officially this weekend in NYC, Duke Elevate’s mission is to help Duke Basketball players win now and forever."

To me, this is K, the master "brander" further positioning the program in the one-and-done era. How do you maintain your brand if a certain percentage of your players leave after one year? Two years? It seems to me that you more aggressively demonstrate the connection that player can have with Duke, if they want it, throughout their lifetime by (A) connecting them with past players and influential alumni from the school and (B) showing how you (K) are still connected to your alma matter.

The team flew to NYC in a chartered plane and immediately headed for dinner at "The Modern", a very upscale restaurant at MOMA. Waiting for them was a collection of alumni from former players (Singler, Zoubek, Grant) to Wall Street executives and other professionals. The guys ate, and heard the alumni speak about leveraging the Duke network to better their lives. The next day, they head up to West Point on a bucolic fall afternoon for an array of activities including an Army football game - seeing how their coach stays connected to his alma matter. They also saw "Motown" on Broadway and we know K is a huge Motown fan - further connecting himself to the players. They visited Ground Zero, again, connecting several related threads - the virtue of living in a free country, the opportunity that comes with being young and alive at this point in history, the sacrifice others have made to provide this opportunity for the players, etc.

Anyway, it struck me that, 30+ years in, K has it all mastered. He's got former players who have excelled at the highest levels of the NBA. He's got tons of current NBA players. He has former players in many NBA and college front office and coaching position as well as former players and managers that are Wall Street tycoons and innumerable icons he can ask to address his team. He's got the program financed to the point where first class trips like this are the norm. And, he uses platforms like Duke Blue Planet to show the world that this is how we roll.

It also sends a message that the program isn't for everyone. In fact, there are probably a lot of players who look at a trip like the one these kids took as "too bougy" http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bougy. But, I like that K continues to define, refine and broadcast his standards and expectations to, basically, the rest of a players life. You wanna come play for Duke? OK, well, we have certain expectations, and, we hope, you'll embrace them and let them lead you to a great life. K has become Oprah, in the best way possible. It just struck me that this trip with this team marks some kind of new peak in program mastery.

sagegrouse
10-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the post and your thoughts, Billy Dat. -- sagegrouse

CrazyNotCrazie
10-14-2013, 10:23 AM
I hate to be Debbie Downer and I'm sure Duke's compliance department completely vetted this, but how were they able to pull this trip off? The NCAA cracks down on schools that give an athlete a few extra dollars, but it allows teams to take an all-expense paid, luxury trip to NYC for expensive dinners, theater, etc. when there is no game involved? I'm really glad that Coach K figured out a way to do this, but it doesn't pass the sniff test to me unless I am missing something.

flyingdutchdevil
10-14-2013, 10:55 AM
I hate to be Debbie Downer and I'm sure Duke's compliance department completely vetted this, but how were they able to pull this trip off? The NCAA cracks down on schools that give an athlete a few extra dollars, but it allows teams to take an all-expense paid, luxury trip to NYC for expensive dinners, theater, etc. when there is no game involved? I'm really glad that Coach K figured out a way to do this, but it doesn't pass the sniff test to me unless I am missing something.

I'm 100% positive that the staff made sure they were 100% compliant with NCAA rules. But you bring up a great point: if a player receives a $5 from an agent for a cup of coffee, then that player risks losing his eligibility. But when the university pays upwards of $5,000 per player for dinners, flights, hotels, and entertainment for non-game related activities, then it's okay.

This has nothing to do with Duke nor Coach K and his staff. They are playing within the rules. But the system that made these rules - the NCAA - is completely broken.

BD80
10-14-2013, 11:00 AM

No worries, at no time during the trip was the team allowed to have cream cheese on their bagels! Rules are rules.

Olympic Fan
10-14-2013, 12:42 PM

This is a team function ... and there is no NCAA restriction on this. It's virtually the same as football teams that hold practices far away from home as a recruiting function -- I know that Miami has held spring scrimmages as far away as Tampa in the last few years. Bear Bryant is famous for taking his first Texas A&M team far out of town for preseason workouts. This practice has long been legal -- K has just taken it to another level.

A few years ago (well, more than a few) I ran into Dean Smith at the Beverly Hills Hilton. His team was in town to play Pepperdine and they were staying one of the most expensive hotels in the city (I was just visiting ... I couldn't afford it). He was telling me that with all the NCAA restrictions, that was one of the few ways he could legally reward his players ... by always staying in five-star hotels on the road.

I salute K for find a legal way to reward his kids.

flyingdutchdevil
10-14-2013, 01:16 PM
This is a team function ... and there is no NCAA restriction on this. It's virtually the same as football teams that hold practices far away from home as a recruiting function -- I know that Miami has held spring scrimmages as far away as Tampa in the last few years. Bear Bryant is famous for taking his first Texas A&M team far out of town for preseason workouts. This practice has long been legal -- K has just taken it to another level.

A few years ago (well, more than a few) I ran into Dean Smith at the Beverly Hills Hilton. His team was in town to play Pepperdine and they were staying one of the most expensive hotels in the city (I was just visiting ... I couldn't afford it). He was telling me that with all the NCAA restrictions, that was one of the few ways he could legally reward his players ... by always staying in five-star hotels on the road.

It's playing for Duke and Coach K reward enough? Do you really need to reward them monetarily?

I have to agree with CrazyNotCrazie on this one; although 100% within the confines of NCAA law, I do find it a little suspect as well.

gep
10-14-2013, 01:26 PM
I thought about this too. But it seems more like the trips to Europe and China. After all, they did practice every day... So it was a basketball related trip, I guess?

Class of '94
10-14-2013, 02:07 PM

I hear what you're saying; but I respectfully disagree with the notion that in this context the NCAA is broken. The key to all of this is that "everything" K and Duke did were in the rules imo. They wouldn't do anything otherwise; whereas you have agents and people doing things illegally or outside of the rules. I'm sorry but I don't think teh agents who have violated the rules did it for $5. IMO, we're talking more like thousands of dollars. The moral of the story is just stay within the rules no matter how bad you think they are; and in the meantime, work through the proper channels to change them.

I think this Duke Elevate program is wonderul opportunity to educate and prepare players for life after Duke, which is what you would want any college to do for its students. It's part of the "perks" of being a student athlete that some don't want to factor in when arguing that college athletes should get paid. To me, it's similar to students having the opportunity to study abroad or take advantage of internships and experiences that are exclusive to Duke. I hope we don't get to a point where we value the money over the experiences by suggesting that it's better to pay the players or let them pocket the 5 grand per player it may have cost to do this trip (just using a number that another poster threw out as an estimate) vs spending the money on the players in this fashion. Again, I look at this program as value-added opportunities that players are given by coming to Duke and being a student athlete. And as usual, when K and Duke do something, they do it first class. I'm sure other programs will look at this and figure out a way to emulate it for their kids and programs.

Again, one could argue that these are benefits that are given to student athletes because their own athletic scholarships; and that's fine. However, students that are on academic scholarships are given additional opportunities and experiences as well; and I choose to look at this progam as another opportunity for deserving student athletes. JMO

nyesq83
10-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Isn't it better for a young man to have his University and Coaches and successful alumni legally expose you to the ability to appreciate and enjoy the finer, funner things in life, rather than engaging with outside forces who are tempting you with instant gratification.

At least nobody bought jewelry in midtown on this trip, I hope.

Added bonus: the next trip to NY (soon, I expect) won't be so overwhelming to the young guys on the team.

Orange&BlackSheep
10-14-2013, 03:37 PM
that Coach K is able to live through the eyes of his players so well. It is so easy as a wizened, been there, done that seasoned adult to forget what it was like to be at an age where so much was new and unknown. You hear about this trip and it is such an interesting mixture of experiences for the team -- mostly as young men. Great stuff.

O&B Sheep

sagegrouse
10-14-2013, 03:41 PM
This is a team function ... and there is no NCAA restriction on this. It's virtually the same as football teams that hold practices far away from home as a recruiting function -- .... Bear Bryant is famous for taking his first Texas A&M team far out of town for preseason workouts. This practice has long been legal -- K has just taken it to another level.

Junction Boys? Well, Bear's first A&M team did train in Junction, Texas, somewhere on the Edwards Plateau. The trip was designed to weed out most of the players, so Bear could recruit some better ones. The only recruits near Junction were jackrabbits and coyotes.

sagegrouse

Henderson
10-14-2013, 06:19 PM
I hope folks who are new to this thread will read BillyDat's excellent original post from beginning to end without doing the quick skim. I think he nailed it. Duke Elevate is a statement, and he's described it beautifully. Watch the videos from this weekend's trip. Having graduated over 32 years ago, I've never been prouder to be a Duke basketball fan.

ricks68
10-14-2013, 06:57 PM
I hope folks who are new to this thread will read BillyDat's excellent original post from beginning to end without doing the quick skim. I think he nailed it. Duke Elevate is a statement, and he's described it beautifully. Watch the videos from this weekend's trip. Having graduated over 32 years ago, I've never been prouder to be a Duke basketball fan.

I guess you are classified as a Crustie, then. But I'm not sure. What do you think, guys? Is 32 years O.K.?

(I know it's not yet up to my 45. But then, we have some around here that certainly are over mine, too.)

What do you think Janet, Jim, etc.?;)

Either way, I sure do agree with Henderson's assessment of Billy Dat's great post. Kudos to Billy Dat, and kudos to Henderson for encouraging all to thoroughly read Billy Dat's post. I certainly did. Go Duke!

ricks

sagegrouse
10-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Either way, I sure do agree with Henderson's assessment of Billy Dat's great post. Kudos to Billy Dat, and kudos to Henderson for encouraging all to thoroughly read Billy Dat's post. I certainly did. Go Duke!

ricks

I agree but am somewhat confused. "Billy Dat" is a totally illiterate name. How come the post is so persuasive and readable?

sagegrouse
'53 years ago next month, I ran down the tunnel onto the football field with the stolen Navy goat. The seven unindicted coconspirators and the goat were hidden in the DUMB. There was a disgraceful melee as the Middies broke ranks and charged, but we prevailed, kept the goat, and returned it at halftime. I was just a freshman, but it was the high point of my college career. Oh, BTW the 19-10 win is Duke football's only victory over a #2-ranked team'

Billy Dat
10-15-2013, 11:25 AM
I agree but am somewhat confused. "Billy Dat" is a totally illiterate name. How come the post is so persuasive and readable?

Indeed. Had I been born after 2000, I surely would be known as "Will" and been overestimated instead of underestimated. Are we really supposed to expect that Will Hunting, born in the early 70s, with siblings known as Marky, Ricky, Danny, Terry, Mikey, Davey, Timmy, Tommy, Joey, Robby, Johnny, and Brian would be known as 'Will'.

It is interesting that the coverage of the trip has mostly sparked controversy over its high price tag and the gun photo. I am waiting for someone to catch a shot of the team giving away the new Kobe Duke Nikes at Rucker Park and say that we are providing illegal graft to potential recruits families.

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Indeed. Had I been born after 2000, I surely would be known as "Will" and been overestimated instead of underestimated. Are we really supposed to expect that Will Hunting, born in the early 70s, with siblings known as Marky, Ricky, Danny, Terry, Mikey, Davey, Timmy, Tommy, Joey, Robby, Johnny, and Brian would be known as 'Will'.

It is interesting that the coverage of the trip has mostly sparked controversy over its high price tag and the gun photo. I am waiting for someone to catch a shot of the team giving away the new Kobe Duke Nikes at Rucker Park and say that we are providing illegal graft to potential recruits families.

Don't forget the awkward Motown signing videos. Ugh.

http://instagram.com/dukeblueplanet#