PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 35, Virginia 22

loran16
10-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Duke opens as 3 point dogs to UVA. Sagarin has it either as a pickem or with duke as favorites, depending upon which rankings you use.

OldPhiKap
10-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Reasonable opening line for a road trip, I would not be surprised to see the spread tighten up over the week. Must wins for both teams. I like our chances.

Devil549
10-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Maybe we go up to UVA wanting to prove we are better team and win an ACC game on the road.....I like we are dogs!!!!!

CameronBornAndBred
10-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Reasonable opening line for a road trip, I would not be surprised to see the spread tighten up over the week. Must wins for both teams. I like our chances.
I actually don't see this game as a "must win", but I do see it as a "should win". Obviously if we want to compete for respect in our ACC standings, and upgrade where we play a bowl game, this is a must..but if we are looking at just getting to a bowl, I don't think this one is necessary.
That being said...I like our chances. UVA is a weird team this year, but I have confidence, especially with Boone back.

awhom111
10-14-2013, 09:54 AM
TV Stations carrying the game:
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/RSN-Affiliates-October-19-Duke-at-Virginia_10-09-13_kp7cu2

I will post the blackout map whenever I see it since it will be of great interest to cord-cutters.

sagegrouse
10-14-2013, 10:06 AM
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/RSN-Affiliates-October-19-Duke-at-Virginia_10-09-13_kp7cu2

I will post the blackout map whenever I see it since it will be of great interest to cord-cutters.

Comcast Sports Net in DC. --sagegrouse

Indoor66
10-14-2013, 10:06 AM

Broken Link

Dev11
10-14-2013, 10:50 AM
I actually don't see this game as a "must win", but I do see it as a "should win". Obviously if we want to compete for respect in our ACC standings, and upgrade where we play a bowl game, this is a must..but if we are looking at just getting to a bowl, I don't think this one is necessary.
That being said...I like our chances. UVA is a weird team this year, but I have confidence, especially with Boone back.

I think it depends on how you define 'must win.' If we lose this game before the final seconds, then we probably aren't good enough to beat two more teams on our schedule.

That said, having Boone back and healthy is encouraging, and I think that we will win this game and continue on our march towards another bowl appearance.

Devil549
10-14-2013, 12:17 PM
IMO when reach must win status.... if we go into WF game with just 4 wins and then must win in Chapel Thrill if we have 5 wins. We can win at UVA, home game with NCSU, at WF and at Unc-CH. I think we can win the Miami and VT games BUT would take an almost perfect game and VT/Miami not bring their A games.

We need to get our LBs healthy, DL to keep improving and secondary to keep maturing (basically everybody out side of SRs AYW-Cockrell-Patterson) are RS freshmen & SOPH or true frosh!!!!

matt1
10-14-2013, 01:32 PM
It is not a must win, but it is one that I would definitely like to have. If we win this one, then we only need one more for bowl eligibility. Though, I am getting greedy and want more than 6 in the regular season. There is no reason that we cannot go 8-4 (beating UVa, UNC, Wake, and State).

Bob Green
10-14-2013, 01:41 PM
I agree it isn't a "must win" but it is a game we need to win. Dev11 is spot on with his analysis if we can't beat Virginia it is questionable if we can beat two other opponents left on the schedule. It all depends on how the game unfolds. Beat Virginia and we are in great shape!

For now, the Virginia game is the most important game on the schedule. We need to build on the 4-0 non-conference record by securing a conference victory.

To win, the team needs to accomplish the same things they achieved against Navy. Namely, pressure the QB, win the turnover battle, and achieve balance on offense. I was impressed with the defense, especially in the second half, although the defensive stand, with Kelby Brown's fumble recovery off a Kenny Anunike big hit on Keenan Reynolds, was arguably the defensive play of the game.

Indoor66
10-14-2013, 02:22 PM
I must be confused. I thought the next game on the schedule was ALWAYS the most important game, no matter what. Heck, it is the only game we can win this week.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Who's going to Charlottesville for this game?:cool:

loran16
10-14-2013, 02:41 PM
I agree it isn't a "must win" but it is a game we need to win. Dev11 is spot on with his analysis if we can't beat Virginia it is questionable if we can beat two other opponents left on the schedule. It all depends on how the game unfolds. Beat Virginia and we are in great shape!

For now, the Virginia game is the most important game on the schedule. We need to build on the 4-0 non-conference record by securing a conference victory.

To win, the team needs to accomplish the same things they achieved against Navy. Namely, pressure the QB, win the turnover battle, and achieve balance on offense. I was impressed with the defense, especially in the second half, although the defensive stand, with Kelby Brown's fumble recovery off a Kenny Anunike big hit on Keenan Reynolds, was arguably the defensive play of the game.

Meh, I don't think you can compare performances against Navy to what we need to do to UVA. UVA is a very different team.

In theory, UVA is an all D, No O team. In practice their D shows up in the middle of the ACC pack. They're 7th in Rushing D - basically allowing the same # of yards per carry as us (so go go running back tandem!) and 6th in passing Defense in yards per pass attempt. They've got a good amount of sacks, but really nothing scary.

On O, they're all a running game that isn't much different from ours, but they have a mediocre passing game. Still, unlike Navy, they will run a conventional offense, so our D will have to stop a passing attack, even if UVA isn't very good at it.

All in all, the team needs to:
A. Keep going with the strong O to put pressure on the weak UVA Offense - the O line will need to be huge.; and
B. Not give up big plays rushing since their passing game is weak, even if our Pass D is merely mediocre.

Bob Green
10-14-2013, 02:51 PM
To win, the team needs to accomplish the same things they achieved against Navy. Namely, pressure the QB, win the turnover battle, and achieve balance on offense.

Meh, I don't think you can compare performances against Navy to what we need to do to UVA.

All in all, the team needs to:
A. Keep going with the strong O to put pressure on the weak UVA Offense - the O line will need to be huge.; and
B. Not give up big plays rushing since their passing game is weak, even if our Pass D is merely mediocre.

There isn't a lot of difference between what I said and what you said.

awhom111
10-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Broken Link

Broken because it's not leading to the right place or browser compatibility? I have checked on a couple different browsers and the ACC website (which I seriously hate) does not work on certain browsers, especially older ones.

Here is the list in full for those who cannot get it (you should also check local cable listings):
FS Carolinas
FS South
CSN Mid-Atlantic
NESN+
YES
FS Arizona
FS Indiana
FS San Diego
FS North+
FS Midwest
FS West
FS Southwest
FS Detroit
SUN Sports/FS Florida (Check local listings if you live in Florida)
ROOT Sports Pittsburgh

loran16
10-14-2013, 04:51 PM
There isn't a lot of difference between what I said and what you said.

Well, we'll have to stop their passing attack, whereas with Navy, that was merely secondary.

OldPhiKap
10-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Well, we'll have to stop their passing attack, whereas with Navy, that was merely secondary.

Isn't it the secondary that stops the passing attack?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself).

We need an ACC win and this is the time to get our first of the season. I do consider this more than a "should" win (although the line is basically pick-'em). If we play like we did Saturday and put our foot down, folks will start taking notice. And that helps draw in scouts from the better bowls.

And heaven forbid, I would rather go into the Carolina game where the quesiton is "what bowl are we going to" instead of whether we are going to a bowl or not.

Beat the 'hoos.

loran16
10-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Isn't it the secondary that stops the passing attack?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself).

We need an ACC win and this is the time to get our first of the season. I do consider this more than a "should" win (although the line is basically pick-'em). If we play like we did Saturday and put our foot down, folks will start taking notice. And that helps draw in scouts from the better bowls.

And heaven forbid, I would rather go into the Carolina game where the quesiton is "what bowl are we going to" instead of whether we are going to a bowl or not.

Beat the 'hoos.

I second this. Especially as its likely that Carolina will be playing that game to get into a bowl!

OldPhiKap
10-14-2013, 05:37 PM
I second this. Especially as its likely that Carolina will be playing that game to get into a bowl!

True dat. They have Miami coming in on Thursday, which could mean a 1-5 start. After that, though, you could argue that we're the best team on the rest of their schedule and 4 out of their last 6 games are at home (including the game with Duke). So there's a pretty good chance that the heels are either 5-6 or 6-5 coming into the game with us.

arnie
10-14-2013, 05:47 PM
True dat. They have Miami coming in on Thursday, which could mean a 1-5 start. After that, though, you could argue that we're the best team on the rest of their schedule and 4 out of their last 6 games are at home (including the game with Duke). So there's a pretty good chance that the heels are either 5-6 or 6-5 coming into the game with us.

Duke, State and UNC all in the same boat and we all play each other. Although we could all go 1-1 in the round robin, I bet one team loses twice and falls out of bowl eligibility. State and Duke do have the advantage with weaker OOC schedules. Coupled with WF the "Big 4" is very weak again.

Bob Green
10-14-2013, 08:10 PM

Which is why I stated we need to pressure the quarterback.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Some of the jovial folks sitting behind us Saturday were discussing various aspects of the Carolina schedule. They also noted that Carolina playing Miami on a school night wouldn't be a problem since their players wouldn't be expected in class the next day anyway.

Dev11
10-15-2013, 01:34 PM

What does the blackout map mean for a game that is only being carried on certain RSNs? GoDuke.com indicates that the game isn't on ESPN3.

johnb
10-15-2013, 01:50 PM
... I would rather go into the Carolina game where the quesiton is "what bowl are we going to" instead of whether we are going to a bowl or not....

I'd like that to be half the question. The other half would be a plaintive cry of, "when will Carolina ever again compete for a bowl game?"

loran16
10-15-2013, 02:35 PM
What does the blackout map mean for a game that is only being carried on certain RSNs? GoDuke.com indicates that the game isn't on ESPN3.

ESPN3 says otherwise: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/upcoming/sport/football/startDate/20131019/

awhom111
10-15-2013, 04:24 PM

The game will be on ESPN3 outside of blackout areas. Assuming you are in Denver, you should be fine on ESPN3

ESPN3 says otherwise: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/upcoming/sport/football/startDate/20131019/

Usually the blackout restrictions are late in arriving. Check again on Thursday or Friday and you might not pass the subject to blackout test now that New York based RSNs have joined the party.

Bob Green
10-15-2013, 05:13 PM
ACC Sports Journal weekly power rankings:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/acc-football-power-rankings-oct-15-0

#10: Duke
#11: North Carolina
#12: Wake Forest
#13: N.C. State
#14: Virginia

I hope Jim Young is correct with these rankings!

Dev11
10-15-2013, 07:43 PM
The game will be on ESPN3 outside of blackout areas. Assuming you are in Denver, you should be fine on ESPN3

Usually the blackout restrictions are late in arriving. Check again on Thursday or Friday and you might not pass the subject to blackout test now that New York based RSNs have joined the party.

Thanks, awhom.

loran16
10-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Duke is ahead of all 4 of those teams in Sagarin as well as one of the two Football outsiders ranking systems. So, it's very possible.

jimsumner
10-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Didn't get to post notes today-travel day.

Some highlights.

Connette practiced today. Boone will start at QB. His arm was sore Sunday but otherwise he's fine.

Kelby Brown practiced but no contact. Very sore after Saturday, lots of time in training room.

Singleton suspension lifted. Cutcliffe said the freshman did everything he was asked and lessons were learned.

Small point. But anyone wonder why McCaffrey returned Navy's first punt Saturday? Crowder had a helmet malfunction and Duke couldn't fix it in time. I asked Crowder if he would like to return kicks again and he suggested that he probably gets hit enough as it is.

Speaking of Crowder, he has 43 catches through six games. Bowl stats count. So, put him in a bowl game this season and he could be looking at a 100-catch season. Yowser!

OldPhiKap
10-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Didn't get to post notes today-travel day.

Some highlights.

Connette practiced today. Boone will start at QB. His arm was sore Sunday but otherwise he's fine.

Kelby Brown practiced but no contact. Very sore after Saturday, lots of time in training room.

Singleton suspension lifted. Cutcliffe said the freshman did everything he was asked and lessons were learned.

Small point. But anyone wonder why McCaffrey returned Navy's first punt Saturday? Crowder had a helmet malfunction and Duke couldn't fix it in time. I asked Crowder if he would like to return kicks again and he suggested that he probably gets hit enough as it is.

Speaking of Crowder, he has 43 catches through six games. Bowl stats count. So, put him in a bowl game this season and he could be looking at a 100-catch season. Yowser!

The thought of Boone and the Connette package makes me smile. Boone is another chip off the Cut block, and the time Connette had over the last few games has developed Connette from a wildcat QB to a real multiple-dimensional threat. Really nice position in which we find ourselves.

Sounds like we are moving towards more returns as well. Great report, thanks Jim as always.

nyesq83
10-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks Jim.

Ross Cockrell has been banged up since earlier this season, I wonder how he is feeling these days. He has defended against a lot of tough TD catches that were well thrown and he doesn't seem to be 100%, I think.

Then again, if our guys up front are getting tackles and hitting the QB, Ross' role should be diminished.

devildeac
10-16-2013, 09:46 AM

Duke is ahead of all 4 of those teams in Sagarin as well as one of the two Football outsiders ranking systems. So, it's very possible.

Let's see now. If we expect to/should beat all the teams "ranked" below us and then perhaps a mild upset during the year, that puts us at, nope, not going to jinx it.

loran16
10-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Let's see now. If we expect to/should beat all the teams "ranked" below us and then perhaps a mild upset during the year, that puts us at, nope, not going to jinx it.

Well, Sagarin's predictor only has us favored in 3 of the 4 games:
Duke -3 UVA
UNC -1 Duke
Duke -8 NC State
Duke -6 Wake

Meanwhile, in Jim Young's ACC Power Rankings this week, I loved to see this:

A friend of mine, while apparently watching Thad Lewis play QB for the Buffalo Bills last Sunday sent me an email asking "If you were a QB heading to college, why wouldn't you go play for Cutcliffe?" -

devildeac
10-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Well, Sagarin's predictor only has us favored in 3 of the 4 games:
Duke -3 UVA
UNC -1 Duke
Duke -8 NC State
Duke -6 Wake

Meanwhile, in Jim Young's ACC Power Rankings this week, I loved to see this:

I'll take "only" 3 outta four. It's been a looonnnggg time since we've seen something like that. Take care of business gentlemen.

Dev11
10-16-2013, 01:33 PM
I'll take "only" 3 outta four. It's been a looonnnggg time since we've seen something like that. Take care of business gentlemen.

7 wins? Yep, I'd say we'll take a winning season.

awhom111
10-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Here is the blackout map:
http://assets.espn.go.com/gameplan/images/2012/blackout/1124816.jpg

If you live in the black area, you must watch the game on the cable sports channel for your area in the list linked previously.

If you live in the green area, you may watch on ESPN3, on a cable sports channel if you get one of the ones on the list, or on ESPN GamePlan.

throatybeard
10-17-2013, 01:29 AM
I agree it isn't a "must win" but it is a game we need to win.

I'm not sure I understand this putative distinction.

Bob Green
10-17-2013, 05:07 AM
I'm not sure I understand this putative distinction.

I'll attempt to explain my thought process. If we travel to Chapel Hill, on November 30, with a 5-6 record, the Carolina game will be a "must win" game. Virginia is a game we need to win because if we cannot beat the Cavaliers can we realistically expect to win two of five against Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Miami, Wake Forest and North Carolina. Possible but certainly not close to a guarantee. A team that cannot beat Virginia probably cannot beat Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Miami or Carolina.

Personally, I believe Duke will win at least three more regular season games with a win over Virginia this Saturday the first of the three.

So I expect I've now made myself clear as mud.

matt1
10-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Here is the blackout map:
http://assets.espn.go.com/gameplan/images/2012/blackout/1124816.jpg

If you live in the black area, you must watch the game on the cable sports channel for your area in the list linked previously.

If you live in the green area, you may watch on ESPN3, on a cable sports channel if you get one of the ones on the list, or on ESPN GamePlan.

Why is Philly in the green? I mean why do we not have an ACCN affiliate anymore here?

awhom111
10-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Why is Philly in the green? I mean why do we not have an ACCN affiliate anymore here?

CSN Philadelphia is the local RSN and does not carry the ACC package.

loran16
10-18-2013, 08:23 AM
In case you guys missed it, UVA's best corner and best pass rusher are out. Should be a great help for the passing game

budwom
10-18-2013, 09:41 AM
In case you guys missed it, UVA's best corner and best pass rusher are out. Should be a great help for the passing game

And the best pass rusher, a 6-7 295 DT is also their best defensive player, period. Should give Boone more visibility downfield.
And their starting placekicker is out again, too.

But UVA can move the ball so I suspect we're going to have to put quite a few points on the board, a minimum of 30 I would think.

DukeSean
10-18-2013, 10:42 AM
But UVA can move the ball so I suspect we're going to have to put quite a few points on the board, a minimum of 30 I would think.

Their passing game is very suspect, and although they can run the ball, I don't see us giving up the lead if we take it.

loran16
10-18-2013, 11:13 AM
And the best pass rusher, a 6-7 295 DT is also their best defensive player, period. Should give Boone more visibility downfield.
And their starting placekicker is out again, too.

Just those measurements are scary. Thankfully, he's out.

Their passing game is very suspect, and although they can run the ball, I don't see us giving up the lead if we take it.

Mind you, they've scored 27 points on back to back games and Ball State and Maryland, for their flaws, are rated as having a better D than us. Their O is incredibly inconsistent, especially if you get pressure on the QB. But it's not necessarily BAD.

30 points is probably a good goal.

devildeac
10-18-2013, 08:12 PM
I like the sound of 34-27, Blue Devils.

DU82
10-18-2013, 11:09 PM
I like the sound of 34-27, Blue Devils.

I like the sound of 35-7 Devils. I have a long drive ahead of me after the game, and want all the Wahoos cleared out before the end of the game!

DevilHorse
10-19-2013, 11:38 AM
I just noticed that the game is listed to be broadcast on the YES network at 3:30pm. For those of you in the northeast, who are expecting a blackout, this might be a place to look. The game was blacked out in central NJ on ESPN3 last week.

Larry
Devilhorse

-bdbd
10-19-2013, 12:33 PM
I believe the game is playing on Comcast in the DC area.

killerleft
10-19-2013, 12:44 PM
I just noticed that the game is listed to be broadcast on the YES network at 3:30pm. For those of you in the northeast, who are expecting a blackout, this might be a place to look. The game was blacked out in central NJ on ESPN3 last week.

Larry
Devilhorse

YES network in Greensboro, at least on the AT&T feed. Channel 1702.

BigWayne
10-19-2013, 01:50 PM

Larry
Devilhorse
It's on about a dozen of the regional networks. I have the DirecTV sports pack so I can take my pick. Will be using SportSouth instead of YES so I don't have to even skip past the promos for the hated NY teams.

mr. synellinden
10-19-2013, 02:34 PM
It's on about a dozen of the regional networks. I have the DirecTV sports pack so I can take my pick. Will be using SportSouth instead of YES so I don't have to even skip past the promos for the hated NY teams.

It's on YES in NYC on Time Warner Cable.

Channel 53.

OldPhiKap
10-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Let's go Duke! About time to taunt the Chatbot and bring us home a win!

dbcooper
10-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Fox sports south for Dish customers in NC

killerleft
10-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Fox sports south for Dish customers in NC

Yep, 1724 on AT&T in Greensboro.

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Both sides of the ball come out soft.

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 03:53 PM
yep bad start so far. Gave up a successful fake punt, a few big pass plays, and TD on UVA's first drive. Stupid penalty killed our drive.

nyesq83
10-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Both sides of the ball come out soft.

Norman out due to a knee injury, according to Moore on the sideline.

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 03:58 PM
I'd like to see our running game engaged. Sneed look tough on his carry last possession. That will also open up passing game across the middle.

nyesq83
10-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Why are the running backs not more involved?

nyesq83
10-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Watch the long pass here, no sorry I meant holding penalty

Cockrell is playing safety. That means the defense is gonna be back on its heels as they try to adjust.

Too much time on the field for them too.

grossbus
10-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Boone not sharp like he was last week.

D line getting gashed.

Hold negates INT.

killerleft
10-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Probably wouldn't have prevented an eventual touchdown, but if the player's elbow touching the ground makes him down, then Virginia didn't score on the TD play.

nyesq83
10-19-2013, 04:12 PM
I may have to turn off the radio broadcast, this is making me sick to my stomach.

3rd and long again

remember how well Ryan Kelly played when he returned and then he played only ok after that?

That's the was that AB is playing today.

In fairness, this is a rivalry game and UVA came to play.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Two straight series... No running plays. Don't get it.

nyesq83
10-19-2013, 04:15 PM
OK I'm outta here.

Sixthman
Offensive execution has been so bad that it's tough to tell whether play calling makes any sense. Defense is giving receivers way too much room.

duke09hms
Almost a quarter into the game, not looking good for the good guys, especially on offense.
We were supposed to punish their D missing their top DT and DB but only have 1 first down to their 10.
We're making UVA QB Watford look like a NFL prospect.

We should be happy to go into the 2nd quarter down only 10-0 . . . nvm 14-0.

UVA has been killing it in recruiting the last few years (4 straight years of #20-30 recruiting classes), looks like it's finally paying off.

Chicago 1995
10-19-2013, 04:20 PM
The D, sadly, isn't a surprise.

The O, however, is disappointing.

Didn't UVA give up 48 to Ball State. Our O looks scared of them. Scared.

And the D is just not good. The talent may not be there, but the gameplans, defensively, are not good.

Down 14-0 to a team that got beat by three scores by Ball State. Wasted opportunity.

killerleft
10-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Uh-oh. Without Mr. Cash, this is really an uphill battle. Gotta have lots of offense.

PDDuke85
10-19-2013, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=duke09hms;669561]Almost a quarter into the game, not looking good for the good guys, especially on offense.
We were supposed to punish their D missing their top DT and DB but only have 1 first down to their 10.
We're making UVA QB Watford look like a NFL prospect.

We should be happy to go into the 2nd quarter down only 10-0 . . . nvm 14-0.

I see a clear lack of concentration......
Drops, penalties, and of course, a complete absence of any secondary coverage.
Two defensive injuries won't help.
Hoping they can keep it close until Duke shows up in the second half.

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Make their defense play a little. Give our defense a little breather to figure our who is going to play and how to change the scheme. Can't wait until halftime to change it up. We look slow and soft on both sides if the ball. We need a little pop.

TKG
10-19-2013, 04:28 PM
We gave up 200 yards in the FIRST QUARTER..... So much for the whopping 30 minutes of defense the guys played last week against Navy. The Midshipmen lost to Toledo today.

grossbus
10-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Boone playing very tentatively.

Could be a long afternoon.

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 04:32 PM
A first down on two runs. Six yards running on first down, and then a long pass into double coverage followed by a sack. We needed to -- AT LEAST -- control the clock and buy some time. Do they program these plays before the game and follow a script?

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Boone playing very tentatively.

Could be a long afternoon.

The first down was his but he would have to put his shoulder down. I don't blame him, but if his passing is ineffective and he can't run then we need to give Connette a try.

killerleft
10-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Dang, Cash is still in! Apparently not a concussion.

dukelifer
10-19-2013, 04:38 PM
We gave up 200 yards in the FIRST QUARTER..... So much for the whopping 30 minutes of defense the guys played last week against Navy. The Midshipmen lost to Toledo today.

The rest helped them last week. UVa came out fighting - Duke needs to score to get momentum.

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 04:39 PM
We could get things on track, go into the locker room down a touchdown and open the second half with the football.

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Snead breaks a long one!
Boone is just off, killing us out there, 3-11 for 24 yds.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Why why why are we throwing on first down?

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Why why why are we throwing on first down?

It seems as if the guy calling the plays is not watching the game

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Doesn't look like we can overcome the talent differential of our ACC foes.
National #60-70 and ACC #12 Duke recruiting classes in the ACC making it hard to compete with top20-30 recruiting classes of UVA and GT. Doesn't bode well for the UNC game, but we'll have a good shot at Wake and NC State.

Our D is getting pushed around and missing on tackles. 13-3 first downs UVA. Duke down 22-0, gave up easy 2pt conversion.

loran16
10-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Curious how many of you guys are going to make excuses for the D this week.

Oh and guess what: THREE RUSHES IN THE FIRST 25 MINUTES?!?!?! 44 yards on 3 rushes. WHY ARE WE NOT RUSHING MORE?!

Chicago 1995
10-19-2013, 04:54 PM
#12 Recruiting classes in the ACC making it hard to compete with top20-30 recruiting classes of UVA and GT.

Our D is getting pushed around and missing on tackles.

Ball State put up over 500 yards against this team and won 48-27. Think they've got talent comparable to UVa?

Pitt's D -- that we put up 55 on -- held this team to 3 points. Pitt's recruiting hasn't been much the last several years either.

There's a talent disparity, but this is a team we are absolutely capable of beating, and a team there's no excuse for not being competitive against. And we're getting embarrassed. This isn't just something we can write off to recruiting rankings. It's a complete failure this week, starting with the coaching. It's not that surprising from the D, but it's really disappointing that the O is getting whipped like this. Worst case should be that we lose another Pitt like shoot out because of the longstanding problems on D. Not this.

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 04:55 PM
It will be interesting to see what kind of emotion shows up for Duke the rest of the game.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-19-2013, 04:55 PM
#12 Recruiting classes in the ACC making it hard to compete with top20-30 recruiting classes of UVA and GT.

Our D is getting pushed around and missing on tackles.

I don't think this is just talent beating us. So our defense looks bad, what else is new in the first half? Our offense is self destructing. We have had penalties, bad passes and dropped balls. Is Connette able to play? If he is he deserves a chance. Boone's comeback last week reminds me of Ryan Kelly' comeback last year, great first game and not much the next few games.

So Virginia goes for 2 what is that's about?

This is turning into an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. whipping.

PDDuke85
10-19-2013, 04:56 PM
2 point conversion with ease. Touchdown over the middle uncontested. Last offensive drive ends by throwing to triple covered Crowder...............
The boys need to quit celebrating the Navy win pretty soon.

PDDuke85
10-19-2013, 05:02 PM
I don't think this is just talent beating us. So our defense looks bad, what else is new in the first half? Our offense is self destructing. We have had penalties, bad passes and dropped balls. Is Connette able to play? If he is he deserves a chance. Boone's comeback last week reminds me of Ryan Kelly' comeback last year, great first game and not much the next few games...

Yup, Connette is able to play. I'm thinking he should run it up the middle on 3rd and short, make it easy on Virginia

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Ball State put up over 500 yards against this team and won 48-27. Think they've got talent comparable to UVa?

Pitt's D -- that we put up 55 on -- held this team to 3 points. Pitt's recruiting hasn't been much the last several years either.

There's a talent disparity, but this is a team we are absolutely capable of beating, and a team there's no excuse for not being competitive against. And we're getting embarrassed. This isn't just something we can write off to recruiting rankings. It's a complete failure this week, starting with the coaching. It's not that surprising from the D, but it's really disappointing that the O is getting whipped like this. Worst case should be that we lose another Pitt like shoot out because of the longstanding problems on D. Not this.

Yep, I agree recruiting isn't everything, but it determines win probability. Less talented teams having a bad game aren't going to carry the day - like we're seeing today. Margin of error is almost non-existent. Today, we're not executing on offense and are paying for it.
We've gotten UVA a couple times recently before their star recruits from the London era take over. They used to recruit like us, until top 20-30 classes in 2011-2013 and now a couple 5-star recruits in 2014.

Pitt's recruiting classes have been 30-40 nationally, at least in the same ballpark. And yeah, Ball State was an anomaly for UVA and probably even Duke-UNC last year. 1-5 UNC takes a 27-24 lead against #10 Miami into the last minute on Thursday due to their top 25 talent. Think 4-2 Duke can hang like that? Guess we'll find out in November. All the games we've won this year have been against less talented teams.

Hopefully we can go into the halftime only down 22-7 and come out strong with the ball in the 2nd half.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-19-2013, 05:06 PM
As an eternal optimist 7 before half and 7 after half to make this a game!

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 05:08 PM
As an eternal optimist 7 before half and 7 after half to make this a game!

Let's DO IT! 22-7!!

Damnit we really need to start shanking kickoffs out of bounds. UVA starting at their 35 with less than a minute. Holdem D!

PDDuke85
10-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Sack!

killerleft
10-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Once again we end a half with some questionable plays and a delay on calling a timeout. 3 points were available, but we handicapped ourselves.

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Wish we could have been a bit more aggressive for a FG at the end of half. Why call 2 straight runs up the middle with 46 secs left and 30 yds from FG range?

But given the way the first half has gone, I'm happy with going in 22-7 and the ball to start the 2nd half. That first drive is going to be huge.

uh_no
10-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Once again we end a half with some questionable plays and a delay on calling a timeout. 3 points were available, but we handicapped ourselves.

the clock operator screwed up. they put the time back on the clock before the next play

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 05:39 PM
In my dreams Coach Cut challenged these young men to stand up and be, whatever else, the smarter and tougher team on the field in the second half. The television interview sounds like cut either has a cold or did some screaming at halftime.

killerleft
10-19-2013, 05:40 PM
the clock operator screwed up. they put the time back on the clock before the next play

Ok, my bad.

TKG
10-19-2013, 05:41 PM
That first drive is going to be huge.

How about a wide receiver screen? They will never expect such a crafty call.

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Wow gutsy call to go for 4th and inches from our own 35. dang. Go DUKE!

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 05:45 PM
so much for a big drive coming out of halftime. After 2 first downs, Duke goes penalty, QB fumble+recovery, and then INT. At least it was an INT on a long pass.

GGLC
10-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Wow gutsy call to go for 4th and inches from our own 35. dang. Go DUKE!

I was really happy to see that. The numbers say that teams should virtually always go for it on fourth and 1 or less from anywhere outside their own twenty: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/62665328/

Good to see Cut being smart and aggressive in that respect.

uh_no
10-19-2013, 05:55 PM
I was really happy to see that. The numbers say that teams should virtually always go for it on fourth and 1 or less from anywhere outside their own twenty: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/62665328/

Good to see Cut being smart and aggressive in that respect.

it's the chip kelly school of thought...I for one am glad this sort of number crunching is coming of age in football like it has in baseball

buddy
10-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Why don't we ever put a quarterback under center at 4th and inches?

GGLC
10-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Why don't we ever put a quarterback under center at 4th and inches?

I was wondering the same thing. QB sneaks on fourth and inches are the highest percentage offensive play in football overall.

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Time for a turnover!

killerleft
10-19-2013, 06:04 PM
I was wondering the same thing. QB sneaks on fourth and inches are the highest percentage offensive play in football overall.

With Connette, at least, he's like a fullback and needs the run-up to get to speed?

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Wow huge stand from the defense to sack Watford on 3rd down. Cmon Duke, short field for the O!

PDDuke85
10-19-2013, 06:09 PM
No BUBBLE SCREENS!

PDDuke85
10-19-2013, 06:11 PM
We have a game!

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 06:12 PM
No BUBBLE SCREENS!

Hoos on heels

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 06:12 PM
We got a game on our hands!!! Only down 17-22 after 41 yd bomb to Jamison and Connette to punch it in!

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Can our D hold UVA on 3rd and 35? Why don't I feel confident about this . . .

ugh we barely forced them out after getting 23 yds

FerryFor50
10-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Can our D hold UVA on 3rd and 35? Why don't I feel confident about this . . .

ugh we barely forced them out after getting 23 yds

Forcing them to punt *is* holding them. Lots of teams play soft coverage on 3rd and long scenarios to avoid the big play.

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 06:21 PM
There's no reason we shouldn't own the fourth as well. We have momentum, we look fresher, and we still have a few big plays to come our way.

killerleft
10-19-2013, 06:21 PM
OK I'm outta here.

Didja come back?

PDDuke85
10-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Looking for #17 (sorry, not HUD) to step and be seen.

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Forcing them to punt *is* holding them. Lots of teams play soft coverage on 3rd and long scenarios to avoid the big play.

Devon Edwards saved the play with the forceout, UVA receiver stepped maybe an inch or two out of bounds.

PDDuke85
10-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Yup, the right call on 4th down

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 06:28 PM
LOVIN IT!! CONNETTE on 4th down with the passing TD to DEAVER.
Gotem with the run fake.

gotta love college football, wow

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 06:30 PM
He was downfield blocking at the five on Deaver's TD!

killerleft
10-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Looking for #17 (sorry, not HUD) to step and be seen.

But #89 will do???!!! Yip!

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-19-2013, 06:32 PM
This reminds me of the Pitt game, well hopefully not the outcome. We were so bad in the first half I almost gave up. We look like a different team this half. Now keep up the defensive effort and let's score some more!

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Coming from a Pittsburgh native, Jeremy Cash on defense reminds me a bit of Polamalu.

Can do it all, stunts at the line to time the QB snap just right.

FerryFor50
10-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Devon Edwards saved the play with the forceout, UVA receiver stepped maybe an inch or two out of bounds.

A stop's a stop. :)

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 06:35 PM
A stop's a stop. :)

haha yep, I'll take it!

cmon defense, let's holdem on 3rd and long!

GGLC
10-19-2013, 06:35 PM
That fourth down play action is one of the best things I've seen all year. I love Coach Cut.

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 06:38 PM
WTF, defense drops a possible int, deflects it in the air for UVA to convert a 3rd and 18 . . . COME ON

we do not need this momentum changer

uh_no
10-19-2013, 06:40 PM
WTF, defense drops a possible int, deflects it in the air for UVA to convert a 3rd and 18 . . . COME ON

that combined with the tip that boone threw that got intercepted....maybe our guys should be playing handball :P

Richard Berg
10-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Kelby goes down :(

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-19-2013, 06:41 PM

Amen! This is truly Duke football, almost make a great play and it boomerangs.

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Amen! This is truly Duke football, almost make a great play and it boomerangs.

haha yeah feel bad for Coach Cut, must be taking years off his life with the stress

uh_no
10-19-2013, 06:44 PM
WIDE LEFT!

woot the dropped interception catch thing just runs extra time off the clock!

let's ice this baby

PDDuke85
Wide freaking left!!!!

Richard Berg
That's 2 weeks in a row we've iced a kicker after a penalty.

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 06:46 PM
haha UVA is playing like Duke football . . . get within FG range to tie it up, false start on attempt where the FG is good, miss the further second chance try

cmon OFFENSE!!

FerryFor50
10-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Sometimes it's enough to be less crappy...

uh_no
10-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Sometimes it's enough to be less crappy...

it's not even less crappy....duke has played really well in the second half.

FerryFor50
10-19-2013, 06:49 PM
it's not even less crappy....duke has played really well in the second half.

They had to, to make up for the abysmal first half.

Now let's ice it!

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Cmon guys, please no turnovers.

Agree, been a game of 2 halves so far. We've been terrific since the last drive of the 2nd quarter, horrendous until then.

dukelifer
10-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Cmon guys, please no turnovers.

Agree, been a game of 2 halves so far. We've been terrific since the last drive of the 2nd quarter, horrendous until then.

Touchdown!

uh_no
10-19-2013, 06:53 PM
They had to, to make up for the abysmal first half.

Now let's ice it!

i don't know if bugs bunny pulled out the bottle of special stuff right before the half....but this is quite the turnaround....

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Deaver again!!! 2 TDs on the night!

Still can't get over that Connette-Deaver 4th down TD. WOW

PDDuke85
10-19-2013, 06:54 PM
So this first half strategy....
Maybe something to it??

Sixthman
10-19-2013, 06:55 PM
In my dreams Coach Cut challenged these young men to stand up and be, whatever else, the smarter and tougher team on the field in the second half. The television interview sounds like cut either has a cold or did some screaming at halftime.

I'm still dreaming the dream!

PDDuke85
Maybe something to it??

Football rope-a-dope

davekay1971
Umm...wow.

Can we get a copy of Dave Cutcliffe's halftime speech?

uh_no
10-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Umm...wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbaKze622Kg

dukelifer
10-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Umm...wow.

Probably a lot of these $&@?!

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Maybe something to it??

Maybe we needed a quarter or two to get adjusted to the step up in athleticism from Navy to UVA?
Like "holy crap these are some big fast dudes!"

killerleft
10-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Thank goodness for that TD! This is big. Real Big. Sure hope Kelby Brown is doing better than he looked, we really, really need him.

PDDuke85
10-19-2013, 07:02 PM
This is a Mike London team. Go for the touchdown now!!

DownEastDevil
10-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Curious how many of you guys are going to make excuses for the D this week.

I don't think it was anything he said, he just read loran's post to them!

NYBri
10-19-2013, 07:03 PM
What a season-turning comeback!

dukelifer
10-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Thank goodness for that TD! This is big. Real Big. Sure hope Kelby Brown is doing better than he looked, we really, really need him.

Back in the game

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Back in the game

Whew, was worried about Kelby.

Borders ices it with a pick! What is he, a freshman?

uh_no
game.

win for the good guys!

dukelifer
Ball game! Wow!

PDDuke85
10-19-2013, 07:10 PM
My favorite formation

grossbus
INT!

That should do it!!!

As was said above...WOW!

davekay1971
Once again...WOW!

Dukehky
They were just a little too jacked up from last night's excitement!!!

Big win.

3 more winnable games. Let's make it an 8-4 season Devils. (Just trying to be realistic, obviously beating VT and/or Miami would be great)

killerleft
10-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Back in the game

Woohoo! I guess he's really a tough-nosed linebacker!

GoDuke2004
10-19-2013, 07:12 PM
I'm so proud of our team and Coach Cut. This may bode well for the rest of the season. Go Duke!

uh_no
10-19-2013, 07:12 PM
GTHC.

PDDuke85
10-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Out of words to describe the how I feel now. Props to the kids and coaching staff to turn it around and play great in the second half. Pride? Ya, that's it.

Next up, Go Red Sox!

NYBri
10-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Not often we see them turn it around like this. This showed real character.

uh_no
Out of words to describe the how I feel now. Props to the kids and coaching staff to turn it around and play great in the second half. Pride? Ya, that's it.

Next up, Go Red Sox!

after the wins the past two weeks, maybe people will stop questioning these kids' "heart"....two weeks in a row some knucklehead posts saying the team is disinterested in the game....

GGLC
Fantastic game.

Well...fantastic half. ;)

75Crazie
10-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Just curious ... I'm sure there was a major butt-kicking by Cutcliffe at halftime ... but does anyone think that maybe the two-point conversion on UVAs third (and last touchdown) might have thrown enough salt in the wound to wake our guys up?

OZZIE4DUKE
10-19-2013, 07:22 PM
An amazing win for us today! So glad I'm going to VT next week to watch us become bowl elegible and 6-2! :)

wsb3
10-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Could not see game as ESPN3 blacked out a wide area but listened to the radio while sitting in my truck in the driveway. Radio broadcast bring back childhood memories when I listened about Bob Verga's deep jump shots more than I got to see them.

From 22-0 to the final score. Wow.

TKG
10-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Great win for the good guys today. But we had better put together two halves of defense next week. We are putting a lot of pressure on our offense by only playing D in the second half. It is one thing to play 30 minutes of defense against Navy and UVA but quite another to only show up for half a game against Virginia Tech in Blacksburg.

TruBlu
10-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Just curious ... I'm sure there was a major butt-kicking by Cutcliffe at halftime ... but does anyone think that maybe the two-point conversion on UVAs third (and last touchdown) might have thrown enough salt in the wound to wake our guys up?

Yep. That was the turning point(s) of the game.

nyesq83
10-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Maybe I should have watched the game at The Camel here in Richmond from the beginning.

Not having the cable video feed, I left to watch the end of the first half and the second half, and whaddya you know, we scored 35 unanswered points.

You are welcome. Kidding!

nyesq83
10-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Cutcliffe said he effectuated the football equivalent of a technical foul call on a basketball coach...

Does that sound familiar?

Institutional memory and awareness.

OldPhiKap
10-19-2013, 08:12 PM
We have gone from losing games in the second half, to taking control and winning games in the second half. It is easy to overlook such a fundamental growth step. Especially impressive on the road.

Go Cut, Go Duke!

duke09hms
10-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Very impressed by the 180 rushing yards on 4.1 ypc and holding UVA's potent run game to 2.6 ypc.

Given UVA had their top DT and DB out, our offense was expected to score like this, but hey we've been more than bitten by the injury bug over the years, so no sympathy here.

In the first half, it was very worrisome how we abandoned the run game and made their anemic passing offense look like worldbeaters with several long completions. Congrats to the team on the adjustments and awesome comeback win!

Finally! Running Connette so many times finally pays off with a 4th down pass that caught the defense cheating on the run.
http://www.theacc.com/#!/video-detail/lqNmEzZzrIqwDnu6uD51RofkWf7QJbTp

DukeHLM'13
10-19-2013, 08:25 PM
That game was a ton of fun to be at. The duke crowd was small but loud and into the game. It was great watching the UVA fans start to pour out of the stadium with about 4 minutes left. Just a great all around second half performance by the team.

Ready for the trip up to Blacksburg next weekend to see another great game!

rhynelander
10-19-2013, 08:27 PM
We have gone from losing games in the second half, to taking control and winning games in the second half. It is easy to overlook such a fundamental growth step. Especially impressive on the road.

Go Cut, Go Duke!

I was thinking the same thing, it's such a huge step, having the attitude and mentality of a winner.
Great game by the Devils.

uh_no
10-19-2013, 08:45 PM
That game was a ton of fun to be at. The duke crowd was small but loud and into the game. It was great watching the UVA fans start to pour out of the stadium with about 4 minutes left. Just a great all around second half performance by the team.

Ready for the trip up to Blacksburg next weekend to see another great game!

is it bad that a large part of me wants #6 (possibly clinching consecutive bowls for the first time in program history) to come at home?

i'm not greedy...i've followed duke for too long....i'd be ecstatic about a win at VT....

something tells me nothing will beat #6 last year though

kingboozer
10-19-2013, 08:45 PM
We have come so far under Cut, I remember when 22-0 would have been lights out for us but they busted out in the second half and never looked back! Props to the boys for a hard fought victory! I don't think it's out the question for this to be a 7-8 win season at this point, can't wait to see how it all shakes out!

JBDuke
10-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Cut's halftime speech? He used Bluto as a model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE

(Warning, the language is uncensored and not family-friendly.)

Duvall
10-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Only one more complete failure away from another bowl game!

sagegrouse
10-19-2013, 09:26 PM
I watched the first half live and then took a young relative out to dinner. It was horrible, but I was strangely (stupidly?) hopeful after we scored and got the second half kickoff.

The DVR viewing of the second half was very sweet. Agreat, great comeback by Duke and an incredibly efficient offense from the end of the second quarter on through the second half.

My impressions of the game:

First, Watford is a very erratic QB -- but he was near-perfect through the first half and quite awful after that. Usually, "erratic" players are up and down from play to play, but with Watford, it was like a switch went off when Duke scored the first time.

Second, Boone, while not actually the reverse, took well over a quarter to get his sea legs. Come to think of it, he didn't have a very fast start against Navy last week. But from the first scoring drive to the end of the game, he was a very effective QB and passer.

Third, I am beginning to believe that our defense becomes dominant in the second half. Only one-third of the points allowed have come in the second half.

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
10-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Duke continues to impress in its play, especially defense, in the second half.

Here are the cumulative scores by quarter through today's game:

Period 1 2 3 4 TOT Pct 1H Pct. 2H
OPP 51 67 28 24 170 69.4% 30.6%
DUK 49 70 59 72 250 47.6% 52.4%

We have given up 52 points in the second half of the first seven games -- that's seven points per game!

Only 30.6 percent of opponents' points have come in the second half.

Duke has outscored opponents in the second half, 131 to 52 (19-7 per game).

This could be a very special season for Duke football.

sagegrouse

uh_no
10-19-2013, 09:49 PM
I watched the first half live and then took a young relative out to dinner. It was horrible, but I was strangely (stupidly?) hopeful after we scored and got the second half kickoff.

The DVR viewing of the second half was very sweet. Agreat, great comeback by Duke and an incredibly efficient offense from the end of the second quarter on through the second half.

My impressions of the game:

First, Watford is a very erratic QB -- but he was near-perfect through the first half and quite awful after that. Usually, "erratic" players are up and down from play to play, but with Watford, it was like a switch went off when Duke scored the first time.

Second, Boone, while not actually the reverse, took well over a quarter to get his sea legs. Come to think of it, he didn't have a very fast start against Navy last week. But from the first scoring drive to the end of the game, he was a very effective QB and passer.

Third, I am beginning to believe that our defense becomes dominant in the second half. Only one-third of the points allowed have come in the second half.

sagegrouse

on watford: I think duke did a much better job putting pressure on him in the second half, forcing him into some of those terrible throws....seemed through the first half he could have a cup of tea back there while waiting for someone to get open

for boone, he certainly started making better throws, and i'm sure he's still shaking off a bit of rust, but he had a great second half. the run game was much more prevalent and effective as the game wore on, I think, so that opened things up a tad

but yeah, second half defense has been nuts....it's funny watching the in game threads go from "our defense sucks ugh here we go again" to "w00t unanswered points"

duketaylor
10-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Sage, that's 2nd half adjustments by a good coaching staff. About time that was a consideration for Duke football. K's done it for a long time. Today was a beautiful example of a program with a change of culture IMO. Expecting to win despite being down. First time I can remember such a feeling since Spurrier was around. Duke can win football games. Simple as that. What an awesome finish to the afternoon!! GO DEVILS!!

arnie
10-19-2013, 10:46 PM
We have come so far under Cut, I remember when 22-0 would have been lights out for us but they busted out in the second half and never looked back! Props to the boys for a hard fought victory! I don't think it's out the question for this to be a 7-8 win season at this point, can't wait to see how it all shakes out!

My 1st time in Charlottesville and thoroughly enjoyed the Drive home safely cheers as UVA fans left late in the 4th q. I don't recall Duke coming back from 22 Points down. Anyone know how long it's been?

OldPhiKap
10-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Sage, that's 2nd half adjustments by a good coaching staff. About time that was a consideration for Duke football. K's done it for a long time. Today was a beautiful example of a program with a change of culture IMO. Expecting to win despite being down. First time I can remember such a feeling since Spurrier was around. Duke can win football games. Simple as that. What an awesome finish to the afternoon!! GO DEVILS!!

Agreed on all points. Say what you want about the staff, they make great adjustments at half on both sides of the ball. Wish we started better, but we were dominant the entire second half. Boone stopped under throwing, we got the running game going, and the defense dialed it up nicely.

Quality road win, this is the type of game a good team wins. I think we are shaping into a good team, with upside still available.

Go Duke!

sagegrouse
10-19-2013, 11:05 PM
My 1st time in Charlottesville and thoroughly enjoyed the Drive home safely cheers as UVA fans left late in the 4th q. I don't recall Duke coming back from 22 Points down. Anyone know how long it's been?

Down 22 in the 2001 Final Four against Maryland (16-38) and won by 11 (84-73, IIRC). But maybe you were thinking of something else? -- sagegrouse

diablesseblu
10-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Down 22 in the 2001 Final Four against Maryland (16-38) and won by 11 (84-73, IIRC). But maybe you were thinking of something else? -- sagegrouse

Love that you called attention to this game! I was in Durham, listening to the game on the radio as I did errands. Picked up steaks at Cattleman's (miss you guys).
Returned to my daughter's apt. and told her to "give up" on her dad's plan to fly her to MSP for the Finals. She went (and I gave up my street cred re: prognosticating.)

Shows how much I knew (know). After that game, I now never give up on any Duke team.

gep
10-19-2013, 11:47 PM

THIS is the change in culture that is important. Expecting to win... knowing that you can win... and just go do it. GO DUKE!!!!!

-bdbd
10-20-2013, 12:18 AM

Nah -- that wasn't Duke. That was ALL on the refs. They just WANTED Duke to win. (Just ask Sweaty Gary and Billy "Fudge" Packer, and any die-hard Terper....)
:rolleyes:

1999ballboy
10-20-2013, 12:56 AM

Yep. Going for a 2PC when you don't need it at all is a blatant taunt. We responded the way that a hard-fighting team should, but I've gotta say they exceeded even my most optimistic expectations.

I think Cut got fired up after that, too. Bringing Connette out there on 4th to have everyone on the UVA defense looking for the run, then passing to Deaver, I like to think, was his own personal response to that move. Remember when fans used to be frustrated by the predictability of Connette's usage? No more!

Jim3k
10-20-2013, 06:25 AM
I don't recall Duke coming back from 22 Points down. Anyone know how long it's been?

Not certain about never before, (there are better checkers than me) but I do remember the FB game in JAX against Florida on October 6, 1962. The Gators had us down 21-0 at the half. But we scored 28 in the second half to win while skunking them. That team went 8-2. IIRC, that team turned down a Gator Bowl bid, hoping for a better one. None came, even though we ranked in the top 20 (14th, I think). [Not sure if the AP rankings actually went lower than tenth back then; there were other polls.]

sagegrouse
10-20-2013, 06:40 AM
Not certain about never before, (there are better checkers than me) but I do remember the FB game in JAX against Florida on October 6, 1962. The Gators had us down 21-0 at the half. But we scored 28 in the second half to win while skunking them. That team went 8-2. IIRC, that team turned down a Gator Bowl bid, hoping for a better one. None came, even though we ranked in the top 20 (14th, I think). [Not sure if the AP rankings actually went lower than tenth back then; there were other polls.]

Reading the tea leaves (order of listing beyond the TopTen) we were 12th in the AP and apparently #14 in the UPI (Coaches') poll. A preseason Top Ten (#8), Duke lost 14-7 in the opener on the West Coast against eventual National Champion USC and were never again in the Top Ten, despite an excellent 8-2 record. 6-0 in the ACC for yet another championship.

I could get used to being a football power again.

sagegrouse

Des Esseintes
10-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Only one more complete failure away from another bowl game!

For effing real. Can we go to the same system as basketball in which post-game and in-game are kept in separate threads? The unrelieved torrent of garbage that is in-game commentary would be a *lovely* thing to skip.

ArnieMc
10-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Yep. Going for a 2PC when you don't need it at all is a blatant taunt. We responded the way that a hard-fighting team should, but I've gotta say they exceeded even my most optimistic expectations.

I think Cut got fired up after that, too. Bringing Connette out there on 4th to have everyone on the UVA defense looking for the run, then passing to Deaver, I like to think, was his own personal response to that move. Remember when fans used to be frustrated by the predictability of Connette's usage? No more!Not only that, but London celebrating the play like they had won the Super Bowl rubbed more salt in the wound and convinced his team that they had already won the game. They relaxed after that, sure that it was a blowout.

loran16
10-20-2013, 10:38 AM
The result was great and they certainly adjusted hugely on d in the second half but can we talk about the odd offensive play calling in the first quarter?

Duke called THREE runs from a rb in the first quarter. 3. Our rbs averaged over 5 ypc AGAIN showing how questionable that seems- and we did it last game vs navy as well. We have a good running game for once, use it!

uh_no
10-20-2013, 11:40 AM
The result was great and they certainly adjusted hugely on d in the second half but can we talk about the odd offensive play calling in the first quarter?

Duke called THREE runs from a rb in the first quarter. 3. Our rbs averaged over 5 ypc AGAIN showing how questionable that seems- and we did it last game vs navy as well. We have a good running game for once, use it!

to be fair, we only had like 3 total plays in the first quarter :P

Mabdul Doobakus
10-20-2013, 12:58 PM
IMO, going for a 2 while the game is still undecided is a smart idea if you're pretty sure you can get it. This wasn't late in the 4th quarter, and UVA wasn't running up the score. They were wisely extending their lead, and unfortunately for them, it wasn't enough. I don't buy into unwritten rules in football any more than I do in baseball game. If the Duke sideline used that for motivation, great, but I don't really buy into that stuff either, plus it makes it sound like Duke wasn't trying their hardest before that play, which I doubt that was the case either.

For some reason, the team--and especially the defense--has made it a pattern that they steadily improve their play over the course of the game. Not sure if that has something to with adjustments being made by the coaching staff or whatever else, but the difference in the defensive play from the beginning to the end of games has been striking.

Bob Green
10-20-2013, 01:01 PM
to be fair, we only had like 3 total plays in the first quarter :P

I realize your post is tongue in check, but I'm compelled to respond just the same. Duke ran 13 offensive plays in the 1st quarter: nine passes for 24 yards and four rushes for 21 yards. So we averaged 5.25 yards per rushing play but only 2.67 yards per passing play in the 1st quarter.

Loran16 has a point. With the talent we have at running back and along the offensive line, we need to run the ball! Virginia seemed especially prepared to defend our horizontal passing game.

uh_no
10-20-2013, 01:48 PM
I realize your post is tongue in check, but I'm compelled to respond just the same. Duke ran 13 offensive plays in the 1st quarter: nine passes for 24 yards and four rushes for 21 yards. So we averaged 5.25 yards per rushing play but only 2.67 yards per passing play in the 1st quarter.

Loran16 has a point. With the talent we have at running back and along the offensive line, we need to run the ball! Virginia seemed especially prepared to defend our horizontal passing game.

while you're certainly correct, I still think it's hard to draw conclusions based on but 13 plays. if this was 10 years ago, I'd calculate the confidence interval....

the game plan could very well have been to try to establish the pass early, and I don't think the results after so few plays is necessarily justification for abandoning the game plan....either way, the staff realized it wasn't working and adjusted, to great effect (well I thought they adjusted, but my analysis proved both of us wrong!)

in hindsight, seeing that we ended up with 7.3 yds/pass attempt on the game, I hardly think sticking to the pass early was the worst decision that could have been made....

what some are calling for is akin to a pulling a starting pitcher if he gives up a hit to the first batter

lets take a look at some data in context and see what we can derive...here are all plays from scrimmage except for drives at the end of halves which aren't entirely valid due to clock considerations

drive 1:
1-10 rush
2-6 pass
1-25 pass
2-14 pass
3-14 pass

drive 2:
1-10 pass
2-3 pass
3-3 pass

drive 3:
1-10 pass
2-10 rush
3-6 pass

drive 4:
1-10 RUSH
2-4 RUSH
1-10 RUSH
2-4 pass
3-4 rush

drive 5:
1-10 pass
2-10 rush
1-10 pass
2-10 pass
3-5 pass

drive 6:
1-10 rush
2-10 pass
1-10 rush
2-3 rush
3-4 rush

drive 7:
1-10 pass
2-10 pass
1-10 pass
2-6 pass
1-10 rush
2-1 pass
3-1 rush
1-6 pass

drive 8:
1-10 rush
2-7 rush
3-1 rush
4-1 rush
1-10 rush
2-6 rush
1-15 rush
2-18 pass
FG

drive 9:
1-10 rush
2-6 rush
3-5 pass
4-1 rush
1-10 pass
1-10 pass
2-10 rush
3-8 pass
4-8 pass
1-10 rush
2-8 pass
3-3 rush

drive 10:
1-10 pass
1-10 rush
2-5 rush

drive 11:
1-10 rush
2-8 pass
3-4 pass
1-10 rush
2-5 rush
1-10 pass
2-10 pass
3-1 rush
4-1 pass

drive 12:
1-10 rush
1-10 pass
2-6 pass
3-2 pass
1-10 pass
2-3 rush
1-10 rush
3-8 pass
FG

so now we'll look at each 1-10, and what the play was, and whether or not we converted in 3 downs or fewer....why 3 downs? because on fourth down, we could either punt or go for it, and for the samples where we punted, we would likely count them as failures, therefore to prevent biasing our data based on fourth down decisions, we must treat all fourth downs similarly, in this case, as a failure to get a first down....this counts for punts, FGs, and conversion attempts

we went 10-15 when rushing on first down, for 66%
we went 7-12 when passing on first down, for 58%

so despite the two 3-outs on drives two and three, we had great success passing on first down once AB cooled down (going 7-10 for the remainder of the game) further, even if you DON'T disclude the perioed when AB was shaking off rust, the difference still is not statistically significant. I'd do some stuff and calculate the confidence interval, but all you need to see is if we had converted one more of those 12 passes, the success% would be equal....which implies that despite looking at the whole game, the sample size is still incredibly small

my conclusion? there was no substanial change in the play calls on first down as the game when on (in fact, in our first "failed" 6 drives, we rushed 5 times and passed 4 times, which matches the fraction for the entire game), and there is NOT enough evidence to support the argument that rushing on first down was the more successful strategy than passing

so as I said, we must look for an alternative explanation for the turnaround, and I think there are two valid explanations:

1) more aggresive playcalling on fourth down (we went for it 4 times and converted....those would have been punts in the first half)
2) anthony boone executed better, keeping more drives going, regardless of the pass/rush call on first down

Bob Green
10-20-2013, 02:04 PM
so as I said, we must look for an alternative explanation for the turnaround, and I think there are two valid explanations:

1) more aggresive playcalling on fourth down (we went for it 4 times and converted....those would have been punts in the first half)
2) anthony boone executed better, keeping more drives going, regardless of the pass/rush call on first down

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I'm an old fashioned guy who likes to see the team run to set-up the pass, but it can be equally effective to pass to set-up the run. Overall, I'm ecstatic we have balance on offense with this team.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, it was extremely satisfying yesterday seeing the Duke section still packed while the remainder of Scott Stadium was almost empty as the final seconds ticked off the clock. :cool:

Nugget
10-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Finally! Running Connette so many times finally pays off with a 4th down pass that caught the defense cheating on the run.
http://www.theacc.com/#!/video-detail/lqNmEzZzrIqwDnu6uD51RofkWf7QJbTp

That was a beautiful play call and spectacularly executed.

Also, kudos to Coach Roper or Cut or whoever called the pass to Deaver for the clinching TD. As a shell-shocked, Stockholm Syundrome, Duke fan so accustomed to seeing our team find ways to lose winnable games over the years -- heightened after seeing the sure INT bounce out of our guy's hands into a catch for a 1st down by U.Va. on 3rd and 18 earlier in the 4th Quarter -- I was fatalistically waiting for the other shoe to drop.

With about 4:30 to go and us on 2nd and 8 at their 25, you could see how this would play out from some many Duke games in the past: the fruitless runs into the line with U.Va. stacking the defense, either a made FG or a missed 40 yarder, and a 3 minute offense drive for the winning score by U.Va.

So, fantastic call to throw for the clinching td on 2nd down -- when the defense was least expecting a pass. And a perfect strike by Boone.

Devil549
10-20-2013, 02:53 PM
In participation report on GoDuke it has 12- Boehme and I saw on the TV replay I watched a #12 on ST. Looking closer to participation report AYW is not listed and he has been on special teams all year IIRC.

Did equipment manager or his assistants forget to pack #21 and AYW wear #12?

Please tell me we did not waste Boehme's RS on special teams.

uh_no
10-20-2013, 03:05 PM
In participation report on GoDuke it has 12- Boehme and I saw on the TV replay I watched a #12 on ST. Looking closer to participation report AYW is not listed and he has been on special teams all year IIRC.

Did equipment manager or his assistants forget to pack #21 and AYW wear #12?

Please tell me we did not waste Boehme's RS on special teams.

people share numbers, and since boehme was out, it didn't matter if someone wore 12

Devil549
10-20-2013, 06:51 PM
I understand two players can have same # so I will ask my question this way..... Did AYW wear 12 yesterday if not who did and did AYW play?

On roster we have two #11 and two #13 but only Boehme listed as 12.

BigWayne
10-20-2013, 08:03 PM
I understand two players can have same # so I will ask my question this way..... Did AYW wear 12 yesterday if not who did and did AYW play?

On roster we have two #11 and two #13 but only Boehme listed as 12.

From here: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209287883

## Player Solo Ast Tot TFL/Yds FF FR-Yd Intc BrUp Blkd Sack/Yds QH
12 Johndre Bennett . 1 1 . . . . . . . .

He's on the roster list as #14, but Bryon Fields is also show as #14, so Bennett was likely wearing #12 as it was available to create less duplication issues.

DU82
10-20-2013, 08:40 PM

I figured the reason we kept passing was to get Boone on track. We're probably not winning without his passing, so get him comfortable in the game. Better to do this in the first quarter than fourth. Thefts why we do the swing passes or bubble screens. Gets our QB in the flow, then we look at other plans. My thought is that RBs don't need the same in-game prep.

ForkFondler
10-20-2013, 10:45 PM

Yeah, Boone kept throwing at one white shirt surrounded by three dark jerseys. Why???

loran16
10-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Yeah, Boone kept throwing at one white shirt surrounded by three dark jerseys. Why???

That's a WR problem I touched on in the Seven Questions: While Boone has spread around the ball (as has Connette) this year, he really only has one WR he really looks for because he can trust him: Crowder. It's quite common for Boone to focus in on getting Crowder the ball, to the point where sometimes the throw is made despite coverage.

Last year, Renfree had both Vernon and Crowder as potential deep threats, and Des Scott as a slot WR for short gains. Hence less forcing the ball. But so far, Crowder hasn't found any other WRs who he trusts enough to be a clear second option. While that prevents opponents from gameplanning against our other guys, it also makes those forces more common.

ForkFondler
10-21-2013, 07:45 AM
That's a WR problem I touched on in the Seven Questions: While Boone has spread around the ball (as has Connette) this year, he really only has one WR he really looks for because he can trust him: Crowder. It's quite common for Boone to focus in on getting Crowder the ball, to the point where sometimes the throw is made despite coverage.

Last year, Renfree had both Vernon and Crowder as potential deep threats, and Des Scott as a slot WR for short gains. Hence less forcing the ball. But so far, Crowder hasn't found any other WRs who he trusts enough to be a clear second option. While that prevents opponents from gameplanning against our other guys, it also makes those forces more common.

It was usually Crowder, but there were several short (10-yard) passes up the middle in the second quarter where I think it was someone else.

Mike Corey
10-21-2013, 09:32 AM
A brief and giddy note that it's wonderful to see a football game thread at 11 pages, a huge win over Virginia once again, and such excellent analysis in the posts above. I learn every time I come to this board, but this thread had lots of goodies.

The Duke football program is alive and well, and it is awfully darn exciting.

Dev11
10-21-2013, 11:22 AM
A brief and giddy note that it's wonderful to see a football game thread at 11 pages, a huge win over Virginia once again, and such excellent analysis in the posts above. I learn every time I come to this board, but this thread had lots of goodies.

The Duke football program is alive and well, and it is awfully darn exciting.

It's time to start splitting these threads into pre/in-game and post-game, like we do with basketball. Too much information!

jimsumner
10-21-2013, 12:38 PM
I'd look for Crowder too. He's one of the best wide receivers in the country. Why wouldn't you want to exploit that?

And, yes, there is no clear No. 2 option. But Deaver, Braxton, McCaffrey and Blakeney have combined for 75 catches through seven games, an average of 10.7 catches per game. Not bad for afterthoughts. The rest of the team has added 26 receptions.

I'm perfectly comfortable with Crowder being the primary option, as long as Boone/Connette don't ignore the secondary options. It seems to me that they haven't.

loran16
10-21-2013, 12:51 PM
I'd look for Crowder too. He's one of the best wide receivers in the country. Why wouldn't you want to exploit that?

And, yes, there is no clear No. 2 option. But Deaver, Braxton, McCaffrey and Blakeney have combined for 75 catches through seven games, an average of 10.7 catches per game. Not bad for afterthoughts. The rest of the team has added 26 receptions.

I'm perfectly comfortable with Crowder being the primary option, as long as Boone/Connette don't ignore the secondary options. It seems to me that they haven't.

It's not about ignoring the secondary options, as much as it seems Boone (more than Connette) will sometimes be a little too focused upon Crowder because of that fact (hence the triple coverage). Crowder's great and will be a key, but a team is better if the QB has a 2nd and/or third option he can always rely upon, rather than 4-6 other guys (Deaver, McCaffrey, Blakeny, Braxton) who might be available from play to play. Think Vernon/Crowder/Scott from last year.

jimsumner
10-21-2013, 01:07 PM
It's not about ignoring the secondary options, as much as it seems Boone (more than Connette) will sometimes be a little too focused upon Crowder because of that fact (hence the triple coverage). Crowder's great and will be a key, but a team is better if the QB has a 2nd and/or third option he can always rely upon, rather than 4-6 other guys (Deaver, McCaffrey, Blakeny, Braxton) who might be available from play to play. Think Vernon/Crowder/Scott from last year.

If those 4-6 other guys are productive, I don't see why that's not an asset. Deaver has become a real weapon and Braxton and McCaffrey have been solid. I do wish Blakeney could fully harness his considerable gifts. Barnes could be a major talent but his off-field activities have hindered his development.

But if one guy has six catches for 70 yards for team A and two guys combine for six catches for 70 yards for team B, it looks like a wash to me.

I do wish Duke would throw more to the running backs. All four of these guys can be dangerous in space.

I suspect we're parsing pretty small differences here. But I just don't see a problem with using Crowder a lot and spreading the wealth to other viable options.

loran16
10-21-2013, 02:02 PM
I do wish Duke would throw more to the running backs. All four of these guys can be dangerous in space.

I suspect we're parsing pretty small differences here. But I just don't see a problem with using Crowder a lot and spreading the wealth to other viable options.

This. Had a nice pass to Jela Duncan in the 3Q on a 3rd or 4th and short.

As for why you'd rather have 3 solid options, it's about less thinking required - checking options A-C is a lot easier than A-F, and i feel like that indecision leads to Boone throwing it to multiple coverage too often.

jafarr1
10-21-2013, 02:11 PM
I suspect Virginia Tech will try to throw a blanket over Crowder this week, and they may be good enough to do it. Our other receiving options, be they RB, WR or TE, are going to need to step up to help fill in the gap.

jimsumner
10-21-2013, 03:46 PM
This. Had a nice pass to Jela Duncan in the 3Q on a 3rd or 4th and short.

As for why you'd rather have 3 solid options, it's about less thinking required - checking options A-C is a lot easier than A-F, and i feel like that indecision leads to Boone throwing it to multiple coverage too often.

But options A-F aren't all going to be on the field at the same time. Unless Duke uses the rare six-receiver package. :)

Duke had two elite receivers last year. They have one elite receiver this year. So, it seems like Duke is rationally utilizing its resources.

Does Boone sometimes try to force it to his best receiver? Of course. Everyone does. But Crowder has faced double coverage darn near every time he's set foot on the field this season and he has 56 catches through eight games.

Duke is 5-2 and scored 55 points in one of the losses. Georgia Tech is the only team to really shut down Duke this year and they played Duke the week after Duke lost its starting QB to injury. So, it seems like the offense is working pretty well. Doesn't mean it can't get better. But the first-team QB has completed 70% of his passes and has thrown two interceptions in 113 passes and we're complaining about indecision and throwing to the wrong guy?

OldPhiKap
10-22-2013, 07:56 PM
FoxSportsNation is showing the replay right now. UVa just went up 22-0. Now the good part starts . . . .

jimsumner
10-22-2013, 08:55 PM
FoxSportsNation is showing the replay right now. UVa just went up 22-0. Now the good part starts . . . .

I recorded the game and re-watched it Monday. Even knowing how it turned out, I still got discouraged early. :)

OldPhiKap
10-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Connette runs it in! Pulled it to 17-22!!!!!!!!!!

OldPhiKap
10-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Y'know who had a key downfield block on the Deaver 4th down ramble from Connette?

Anthony Boone.

Teamwork, baby! Great play!

Indoor66
10-23-2013, 10:11 AM
I recorded the game and re-watched it Monday. Even knowing how it turned out, I still got discouraged early. :)

Did we still win? :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
10-23-2013, 10:50 AM
I started watching yesterday at the same point. It was really funny to listen to the announcers the rest of the game knowing what the outcome was going to be. My favorite was "Mike London will not settle with just 22 points". :cool:

wilko
10-23-2013, 11:33 AM
I went back and watched what I had previously missed on TV..
Just to get the visual benefit OVER radio...

Virgina made some unforced mistakes and Duke was able to take advantage. Thats something we have not always been able to do consistently.

It was nice to see and I hope our confidence has a shot in the arm and that we come out hot and never let up vs VT. If we get behind I'm not sure our D can do to VaTech what it did to UVa.

Ever hopeful..

jimsumner
10-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Did we still win? :cool:

One of the announcers still doesn't know how to pronounce Connette.

Duvall
10-23-2013, 07:17 PM

Hopefully it wasn't Wes Durham - he's had four years to learn Connette's name!

Indoor66
10-23-2013, 07:18 PM

I'm not sure I know how to pronounce Connette. A long time away from ??? - French, maybe? :cool:

nyesq83
10-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Maybe Johnny Moore?