PDA

View Full Version : Laura on Wes Chesson to the Duke HoF

Jim3k
10-11-2013, 03:28 AM
News and Observer linky (http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/10/3270266/duke-football-player-wes-chesson.html)

On November, 22, 1969, with the score tied 7-7 in the third quarter, Duke quarterback Leo Hart kneeled down, mimicking tying his shoe. The Tar Heels’ defenders took note and didn’t break their huddle, and, suddenly, wide receiver Wes Chesson took a direct snap and ran 53 yards for the go-ahead touchdown in a 17-13 win.

“It was the easiest touchdown I ever scored,” Chesson said, “And the only one anybody remembers.”
Chesson will be remembered this weekend, when he is enshrined in the Duke Athletics Hall of Fame.

Read the rest for yourself.

Turtleboy
10-11-2013, 05:06 AM
Sprint Killer Left it was called, IIRC.

Kimist
10-11-2013, 09:07 AM
I could not get the Jim3k link to work.

Try this one:

Trick play link (http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/10/3270266/duke-football-player-wes-chesson.html)

k

Olympic Fan
10-11-2013, 01:42 PM
It can be argued that -- in the context of his time -- Chesson was one of the -- if not THE -- greatest receiver in Duke history.

Technically, he rates 28th in ACC history in receiving yards.

But that's warped because he played just three varsity seasons -- he's the only player from the pre-freshman eligibility era on that list. The next oldest guys on the ACC list are Clarkston Hines and Ricky Proehl, who played in 1986-89. That means that Chesson held the ACC receiving record for 19 years -- 1970-89.

Even more significantly, teams didn't throw nearly as much in that era -- Roman Gabriel was an all-American QB in 1960, passing for 937 yards in the season.

So Chesson was a lot more than the Shoestring Play.

I was there that day. I saw it. When Leo kneeled to tie his shoe, my first through was that he was hurt.

Then I noticed that the offensive line was lined up far to the left. WR Marcel Courtilet (sp?) leaned over and picked up the ball and lateralled it to Wes.

What's interesting is that there's no film of the play. The game was not on TV and the coaches' films were turned off between plays. The only film I've ever seen was a coaching film that shows Chesson running down the sideline about 30 yards out.

I can't agree that it was the greatest play in Duke history because the game was so insignificant. It was a 2-6-1 Duke team against a 5-4 UNC team. It was big ... but give me Randy Cuthbert's TD run against Clemson in 1989 or Bolo Perdue's punt block against Pitt in 1938 as my pick for the greatest play in Duke history.

Atldukie79
10-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the recollections, Olympic Fan. I too was there that day. I believe I was dressed in my Boy Scout uniform. Back in the day boy scouts would get dressed and come to the stadium several hours before game time. Duke would feed us a hot dog, coke, chips and maybe a cookie before we performed our role as ushers.

My vantage point was the end zone, most likely section 15, up high. Just as the film cameras missed the first part of the play, I recall most of us in the stands did as well. I had not recalled that the UNC defensive huddle positioned with backs to the line was instrumental to the decision to use the play. I had thought that Leo Hart's acting job of fiddling with his shoe where the prior play had ended being the central deception.

But I did see the ball picked up and flipped to Chesson.

Does anyone recall if the coaches had to alert the referees prior to the game to be aware of the possibility of that trick play? I seem to recall that happened.

I kept looking for a repeat of that play for hte next twenty years...Maybe its time to break it out again!

cspan37421
10-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Just as the film cameras missed the first part of the play, I recall most of us in the stands did as well.

I wonder how common that is - I suspect very common. If I may take a quick tangent:

Living in the UK as a middle schooler, my dad takes me to Arsenal v. Manchester United, at Highbury. I'm pulling for the home team, but my own soccer club at my grade level was (named after) Manchester United! (I didn't understand the rivalries then ... I was in awe of most of them and loved most of them).

After a couple good scoring chances for the Gunners goes sour, they have a great chance and one guy hits the post and it bounces off. In disbelief, I look to the sky, then to my feet, shaking my head. I totally miss the put-back that puts Arsenal ahead.

34 years later ...! I find the highlights of the match on Youtube! I finally get to see it! (it starts around 2:05 of this clip):

http://youtu.be/PuudpJJJ75Y

So here's hoping that Chesson's (most famous) TD was captured by someone in the stands, and that it will eventually be found and shared.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-13-2013, 08:49 AM
I wonder how common that is - I suspect very common. If I may take a quick tangent:

Living in the UK as a middle schooler, my dad takes me to Arsenal v. Manchester United, at Highbury. I'm pulling for the home team, but my own soccer club at my grade level was (named after) Manchester United! (I didn't understand the rivalries then ... I was in awe of most of them and loved most of them).

After a couple good scoring chances for the Gunners goes sour, they have a great chance and one guy hits the post and it bounces off. In disbelief, I look to the sky, then to my feet, shaking my head. I totally miss the put-back that puts Arsenal ahead.

34 years later ...! I find the highlights of the match on Youtube! I finally get to see it! (it starts around 2:05 of this clip):

http://youtu.be/PuudpJJJ75Y

So here's hoping that Chesson's (most famous) TD was captured by someone in the stands, and that it will eventually be found and shared.
Perhaps someone had their cell phone video filming? Oh, wait... :p