PDA

View Full Version : Mikaela Shiffrin, Serena, Missy Franklin, and women's basketball

tecumseh
10-09-2013, 04:02 PM
I have not visited this site in a bit so if this is redundant please disregard. But it has intelligent posters and I have been pondering this
OK please don't knee jerk me as some sort of misogynist, I mean I will watch Mikaela, Serena, Missy and thoroughly enjoy it but I find watching women's basketball pretty awful. I obviously am not alone despite tons of money and promotion of the WNBA by the NBA and ESPN it's attendance is still iffy, TV is better but considering the heavy promotion hardly impressive and very unimpressive next to women's tennis. I think the problem is the product.

I was watching some fairly skilled women basketball players and you could tell they played a different game then the men. A technical point is that they brought the ball up in front of them and did not elevate on their jump shot and their release point was like below their head. Now there is a really good girls tennis player in our town and when I watch her play her backhand looks identical to the top male player, forehands a bit different but not radically. I think women's basketball is just too different appearing on TV than the basketball we are used to watching. The Geno Auriemma, the U Conn coach talks passionately about the need to lower the rim, Ann Meyer Drysdale talks about sexier uniforms, though she does not use that word. I think it is the product and it is a niche product it just is too different from the male game and what people like about the male game, dunks, killer crossovers, spin moves, tear drop shots, double clutching are just not there.

Duvall
10-09-2013, 04:11 PM
I have not visited this site in a bit so if this is redundant please disregard. But it has intelligent posters and I have been pondering this
OK please don't knee jerk me as some sort of misogynist, I mean I will watch Mikaela, Serena, Missy and thoroughly enjoy it but I find watching women's basketball pretty awful. I obviously am not alone despite tons of money and promotion of the WNBA by the NBA and ESPN it's attendance is still iffy, TV is better but considering the heavy promotion hardly impressive and very unimpressive next to women's tennis. I think the problem is the product.

I was watching some fairly skilled women basketball players and you could tell they played a different game then the men. A technical point is that they brought the ball up in front of them and did not elevate on their jump shot and their release point was like below their head. Now there is a really good girls tennis player in our town and when I watch her play her backhand looks identical to the top male player, forehands a bit different but not radically. I think women's basketball is just too different appearing on TV than the basketball we are used to watching. The Geno Auriemma, the U Conn coach talks passionately about the need to lower the rim, Ann Meyer Drysdale talks about sexier uniforms, though she does not use that word. I think it is the product and it is a niche product it just is too different from the male game and what people like about the male game, dunks, killer crossovers, spin moves, tear drop shots, double clutching are just not there.

So don't watch it.

Bob Green
10-09-2013, 04:58 PM
...but I find watching women's basketball pretty awful.

I disagree profusely. The women execute sound fundamentals. In many respects, the women's game is more enjoyable to watch. Sure, you're not going to see high flying dunks, you will see backdoor cuts, defensive positioning, ball movement, crisp passes...the list goes on...

MartyClark
10-09-2013, 05:16 PM
I disagree profusely. The women execute sound fundamentals. In many respects, the women's game is more enjoyable to watch. Sure, you're not going to see high flying dunks, you will see backdoor cuts, defensive positioning, ball movement, crisp passes...the list goes on...

Bob, you are better man than I. I watch a lot of high school basketball in Colorado. Unless I know one of the young women or her family, I can't garner any enthusiasm for going to high school girls game. Our little suburban pocket had some great young women players for a few years, including Abbie Waner. I went to games then because I had a rooting interest in the young women.

I think you are technically correct but, to me, it just isn't that exciting.

Wander
10-09-2013, 05:39 PM

I enjoy following the Duke women's team, but I'd strongly disagree with this. Why do you think the fundamentals in the women's game are better?

One reason I don't follow the entire sport as closely is that most of the time you know the outcome of the game. I just eventually got bored watching UConn beat everyone - including really good teams - by 40. I don't think the depth of talent really warrants a 64 team tournament. But maybe that will change over time.

Bob Green
10-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Why do you think the fundamentals in the women's game are better?

Because the men too frequently substitute being big and strong with the ability to jump out of the gym for actually knowing how to play basketball. I'm not saying I'm right, but that's the way I see it. When I was a kid, basketball was a game played by tall, skinny guys. Those days are water under the bridge.

burnspbesq
10-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Ahh, the annual Why I Hate Women's Basketball post. A sure sign that the season will be starting soon.

Anybody going to the season opener at Cal (yes, awhom, I'm looking at you)?

awhom111
10-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Ahh, the annual Why I Hate Women's Basketball post. A sure sign that the season will be starting soon.

Anybody going to the season opener at Cal (yes, awhom, I'm looking at you)?

Yes, I am.

Women's Basketball just has the tendency to be the place where extreme views on both sides about women's sports tend to take their fight.