PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 10-08-13

jimsumner
10-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Duke definitely playing Navy this week.

There never were any serious discussions about playing anyone else.

Some quarterback updates.

Anthony Boone is doing some work but not full contact practices. Day-to-day. As are we all.

Thomas Sirk tweaked a calf muscle. Described as an overuse injury. Duke's dialing him back a bit.

Dwayne Norman seems to be back to normal and Kelby Brown is practicing. Kyler Brown is going to be awhile. Ross Cockrell says the week off helped him tremendously. "I feel really good. I enjoyed it [the bye week]." Devon Edwards and Michael Westray getting more work at safety, with Singleton out. Cut says he's more concerned with LB than safety.

Devon Edwards will replace suspended Johnell Barnes as kick returner.

Speaking of the off-week, Cut says Duke went for quality over quantity last week and is practicing this week as if they played last week.

Navy? Very dependent on QB Keenan Reynolds. He got hurt against Western Kentucky and Navy fell apart. He came back for Air Force last week and they rolled. Cut says Reynolds is smart, tough and hard to tackle. "An athlete touching the ball every play."

Ross Cockrell dissects Navy. "If you don't play your technique, they will go over the top. Their quarterback is the best player they have. He's a flat-out ball-player. You've got to attack his hips. He's pretty shifty, you've got to pull the trigger, force him to make different moves. The plan is to stop the ball behind the line of scrimmage. If we can force him to pitch it, that's great. If he wants to keep it, we need to make it tough on him. Scheme-wise, they don't do as much deep passing as Georgia Tech. They do more intermediate passing game, they use more formations, they spread out their slots into different formations."

Kenny Anunike agrees that Reynolds is the key. "This quarterback is more of a keeper than even Vad Lee. He wants to hold the ball, he wants to fake pitch it and take it up the field. If we can get to him and shut him down, we will have a great outcome this Saturday. When they do pass, we have to read that quick and keep pressure on the quarterback and keep him in the pocket. Get off blocks and make plays. Once you secure your gap with your man, make a play. We've all got to make plays."

Dave Harding referenced Navy's discipline. "What impresses me about Navy is their intensity and their discipline on every single play. It's something you would expect from a service team but these guys do it exceptionally well." It's a cliché. Doesn't mean it's not true.

Bob Green
10-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks Jim! These reports are always so informative.

Kyler Brown is going to be awhile.

This is really unfortunate as I believe Kyler Brown was really coming into his own as a linebacker. He looked solid in the 1st half against Troy before being injured.

Merlindevildog91
10-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Jim!

I realized Johnell Barnes was out with his broken hand, but I didn't realize he was suspended as well. How long is his suspension for?

jimsumner
10-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks, Jim!

I realized Johnell Barnes was out with his broken hand, but I didn't realize he was suspended as well. How long is his suspension for?

Indefinite.