PDA

View Full Version : Thad Lewis, NFL Starting QB

downtowndevil
10-07-2013, 09:02 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9784909/buffalo-bills-start-thad-lewis-qb-vs-cincinnati-bengals

AceDukie77
10-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Buffalo Bills Coach Doug Marrone announced on the radio this morning that Thad Lewis will start this Sunday for the Bills home game vs the Cincinnati Bengals! Thad will be moved up from the practice squad after their starter E.J. Manual was injured last week vs the Browns. Marrone said "Thad gives us the best chance. He can extend plays, he can run, he can throw it... now he has an opportunity to show us what he has".

Good luck Thad!

MulletMan
10-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Buffalo Bills Coach Doug Marrone announced on the radio this morning that Thad Lewis will start this Sunday for the Bills home game vs the Cincinnati Bengals! Thad will be moved up from the practice squad after their starter E.J. Manual was injured last week vs the Browns. Marrone said "Thad gives us the best chance. He can extend plays, he can run, he can throw it... now he has an opportunity to show us what he has".

Good luck Thad!

Just came to post this (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9784909/buffalo-bills-start-thad-lewis-qb-vs-cincinnati-bengals)! Great news for Thad, and let's hope that Spiller shows up to help him out and take a little pressure off. The Bengals will surely be looking to bring a lot of pressure.

Good Luck, Thad!

HK Dukie
10-07-2013, 09:46 AM
So happy for Thad!

Ever since Manuel's injury I have been googling Thad's name to check if there was even a chance of him getting the position. The coach's press conf comments had not been promising, however it looks like it was either a misdirection and or the bills missed out on Freeman.

Either way go Thad!

killerleft
10-07-2013, 09:50 AM
C'mon, Thad! Sorry for the injury to Manuel, but Thad's got another chance to prove himself. Do it buddy. My Thad #9 Duke mock-jersey is wearing out, I'd be happy to get an NFL one soon.

Dev11
10-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Awesome news, thank you to everybody who posted it. I hope that one of these little windows for Thad becomes a doorway.

Bluedog
10-07-2013, 12:01 PM
And who again is putting a former Dukie in the starting QB spot? Doug Marrone! He did it with Greg Paulus when he was the HC at Syracuse much to the surprise of many. I'm mostly kidding, of course. Thad certainly has earned the spot based on his own merit, but it does seem like Marrone holds Duke athletes in high regard based on my impressions. The Cincy D has looked pretty good (particularly as of late), so it won't be easy, but I'll be cheering for Thad!

Troublemaker
10-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Congrats to Thad!

Not the best opponent to start his first game this season against; Bengals just held Brady to 6 points this past Sunday. But I'm sure Thad loves the opportunity regardless.

The Bills have a pretty good defense, too. The game will come down to who will make the fewest mistakes between Thad and Dalton. I'm not counting out Thad.

pfrduke
10-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Congrats to Thad!

Not the best opponent to start his first game this season against; Bengals just held Brady to 6 points this past Sunday. But I'm sure Thad loves the opportunity regardless.

The Bills have a pretty good defense, too. The game will come down to who will make the fewest mistakes between Thad and Dalton. I'm not counting out Thad.

I look forward (knock on wood) to the discussion this time next week of Thad outperforming Brady vs. the Bengals.

JasonEvans
10-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Don't forget, this is not Thad's first start. He had a fairly decent performance in week 17 last year for the Browns (22-32, 204 yds, 1 TD, 1 Int). He's got an opportunity here to build on that and establish himself as a legit backup QB in the NFL. That's not a bad gig.

-Jason "I may be wrong, but I think going from the practice squad to the full NFL squad probably triples or quadruples Thad's weekly paycheck!" Evans

ChrisP
10-07-2013, 01:40 PM
I look forward (knock on wood) to the discussion this time next week of Thad outperforming Brady vs. the Bengals.

Me too! Go Thad!!!

devildeac
10-07-2013, 01:56 PM
I'll be happy for Thad to have one of those "crazy NFL stats" games that tommy referred to on the OTB. 350 yards passing, 50 rushing, 3 TD and 0 INT would be cool. And a win, too, of course;). (I still think he's kinda short to be a QB:rolleyes:. [kidding, folks, kidding])

BD80
10-07-2013, 06:55 PM
So there are more starting NFL QBs from Duke than Notre Dame or Alabama. As many as Michigan or Stanford.

1999ballboy
10-08-2013, 03:58 AM
I like this chance for Thad. I wouldn't necessarily look for him to put up huge passing numbers, as that's not really the Bills' offensive style, but he's got a semi-decent chance to succeed with this team. Fred Jackson is better this year and adds some power to their running game, and I really like what I'm seeing out of rookie receiver Robert Woods. Actually, the Bills have one of the best rookie classes in the NFL between Woods, Manuel, and early DROY favorite Kiko Alonso. The Bengals have a very tough defensive unit (including Vinny Rey!). Bills are at home though. Hopefully that helps.

Ggallagher
10-10-2013, 09:09 AM
A couple of comments up thread mentioned the Bengals might not be the best opponent for Thad to be starting against this weekend. That's not quite the way Cincinnati's sports writers see it today. The front page of the sports section in today's Cincinnati Enquirer bears the headline:

"FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN - The Bengals face a no-name quarterback Sunday -- something that historically hasn't gone well for them"

The article points out that the Bengals have a five game winning streak against Super Bowl winning quarterbacks - but haven't done quite so well when facing Brian Hoyer, Shaun Hill or Seneca Wallace - all those "no name" folks.

Here's hoping that tradition holds.

Jim3k
10-10-2013, 05:26 PM
A couple of comments up thread mentioned the Bengals might not be the best opponent for Thad to be starting against this weekend. That's not quite the way Cincinnati's sports writers see it today. The front page of the sports section in today's Cincinnati Enquirer bears the headline:

"FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN - The Bengals face a no-name quarterback Sunday -- something that historically hasn't gone well for them"

The article points out that the Bengals have a five game winning streak against Super Bowl winning quarterbacks - but haven't done quite so well when facing Brian Hoyer, Shaun Hill or Seneca Wallace - all those "no name" folks.

Here's hoping that tradition holds.

Linky to the Enquirer article. (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20131009/SPT02/310090180/No-name-quarterbacks-have-sprung-surprises?nclick_check=1)

moonpie23
10-13-2013, 09:19 AM
fingers crossed....

throatybeard
10-13-2013, 01:15 PM
First quarter touchdown on a QB keeper for Thad Lewis.

Ima Facultiwyfe
10-13-2013, 01:20 PM
First quarter touchdown on a QB keeper for Thad Lewis.

Only able to watch the stats. Looks like he's doing just great, bless his heart!!!! Anybody know where we can actually get the game?
Love, Ima

throatybeard
10-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Only able to watch the stats. Looks like he's doing just great, bless his heart!!!! Anybody know where we can actually get the game?
Love, Ima

I've been catching the relevant bits of it on NFL Redzone, which is 155 on Dish.

He almost had a second TD but they got him at about the two yardline.

cspan37421
10-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Looks like a lot of short dumpoff passes. They're not having him throw downfield. Buffalo defense looks porous (by the stats).

loran16
10-13-2013, 02:17 PM
I've been catching the relevant bits of it on NFL Redzone, which is 155 on Dish.

He almost had a second TD but they got him at about the two yardline.

One of the tacklers was Vinny Rey. Duke on Duke crime!

Jim3k
10-13-2013, 03:58 PM
With two TD passes in the 4thQ, Lewis has tied Cincinnati at 24 all!

Bluedog
10-13-2013, 03:59 PM
With just 2 minutes left and starting at his own 14, Thad engineered a TD drive including a 40 yard TD pass to tie up the game with a minute to go! Looking good - 216 yards passing, 2 TD passes, and 1 TD run. Come on Buffalo!

4Gen
10-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Last was a 40 yard bomb to the end zone with a minute 30 keft.

Bluedog
10-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Unfortunately, Thad sprained his foot during the game at some point. Hope he's not out long.

Edit: Thad said "I should be fine" through the official Bills twitter account.

Jim3k
10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Although the game is over and the Bengals won in OT, I thought the Board might be interested in the pregame article about Thad from the Buffalo News' interview with Nathaniel Hackett (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/lewis-approach-impresses-hackett-20131012), the Bills offensive coordinator.

Thad did pretty well. He ran for one TD and threw for two more. He was 19 for 32 with 216 passing yards, a 59.4 completion percentage. His QB rating was a pretty decent 100.5.

He will be playing some more. This was trial by fire and although he did have a couple of setbacks (stopped on the Cinci two and one lost fumble) he kept his team in the game. I'm pretty sure his coaches are satisfied with his performance, given the situation.

cspan37421
10-13-2013, 11:39 PM
I could only follow by the GameTracker or whatever it's called (Gamecast?), but it sure seems like the bulk of the reason for the loss was the Bills' defense, giving up 483 yds. Thad did lose a fumble, but Dalton got intercepted. Thad ran for one TD and threw two more, that's pretty respectable. Some rushing TDs from the backs would have been nice.

Saw that Dennis Dixon got signed too. Is Dilweg still available?

CameronBornAndBred
10-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Thad played a really solid game. He didn't fold after his fumble (don't run with the ball held out like you are palming a basketball Thad!). I was lucky and got to watch on my local CBS station. At one point in the first half, he had a great scramble for an 8 or 9 yard run. The announcers comment after was basically "if you haven't heard of Thad Lewis before today, thanks to plays like that, you will know his name now".

TruBlu
10-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Thad played a really solid game. He didn't fold after his fumble (don't run with the ball held out like you are palming a basketball Thad!). I was lucky and got to watch on my local CBS station. At one point in the first half, he had a great scramble for an 8 or 9 yard run. The announcers comment after was basically "if you haven't heard of Thad Lewis before today, thanks to plays like that, you will know his name now".

I listened on XM Radio to the Bengals broadcast team while driving home from Durham. The Bengal's announcers repeatedly (almost every possession by the Bills) referred to Thad as " . . . the young quarterback from Duke University".

It was very good to hear those words.

CrazyNotCrazie
10-14-2013, 09:27 AM
I know there is nothing less interesting than hearing about other people's fantasy football teams, but I lost this week, and if I had started Thad instead of Peyton Manning, I would have won, as Thad outscored Manning by about 10 points!

cspan37421
10-14-2013, 09:44 AM
I know there is nothing less interesting than hearing about other people's fantasy football teams, but I lost this week, and if I had started Thad instead of Peyton Manning, I would have won, as Thad outscored Manning by about 10 points!

That's actually pretty interesting.

And Thad's on pace to run for 11 TDs, throw for 22, with zero interceptions. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

sagegrouse
10-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Thad wasn't even listed as an option on ESPN Gridiron Challenge.

sagegrouse

BD80
10-14-2013, 10:51 AM
... if I had started Thad instead of Peyton Manning, I would have won, as Thad outscored Manning by about 10 points!

Must have something to do with the coaching they each got in college ...

I know there is nothing less interesting than hearing about other people's fantasy football teams, ...!

How about:

1. Posts on DBR predicting the minutes players would/should get this season

2. Complaints from Maryland fans/officials that they are not being treated well by the ACC

3. Complaints from ol' roy about how hard he works or how much he cares

4. Reminiscence about how much better the Cameron Crazies were back in the day (yes, I know the meaning of "irony")

5. Big Ten/Eleven/whatever football

6. Complaints from Maryland fans/officials that the Big Ten/Eleven/whatever isn't going to be as fun/profitable/feasible as they thought

7. Anything Kardashian, including Lamar Odom

8. Bill Simmons' opinion of Duke Basketball

9. The opinions of Skip Bayless' or Stephen A Smith about anything

10. Old guys making silly lists

UrinalCake
10-14-2013, 11:50 AM

I actually picked up Lewis and started him over Aaron Rogers. Everyone in my league told me I was crazy, but I mean how many times in my life will a Duke alum start an NFL game? He rewarded me by outscoring Rogers 8-)

75Crazie
10-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Another very positive article: http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/despite-coming-up-thad-short-lewis-gives-bills-qb-worries-the-boot-20131013

FerryFor50
10-14-2013, 11:56 AM
I actually picked up Lewis and started him over Aaron Rogers. Everyone in my league told me I was crazy, but I mean how many times in my life will a Duke alum start an NFL game? He rewarded me by outscoring Rogers 8-)

Speaking of... is there a DBR Fantasy Football league?

Fantasy NBA? Baseball? NASCAR????

JasonEvans
10-14-2013, 01:27 PM
The Bills will reportedly sign Matt Flynn (http://tracking.si.com/2013/10/14/bills-to-sign-quarterback-matt-flynn/).

Not sure what this means for Thad. I would expect he would get the start against Miami as there is no way Flynn can be prepared and learn the playbook in less than a week. Plus, Thad played really well.

-Jason "part of this may be a need for a backup in case Thad gets hurt -- he did tweak his ankle in the game on Sunday" Evans

pfrduke
10-14-2013, 01:45 PM

Excellent. I've exercised my mod's prerogative to change the thread title accordingly.

Tom B.
10-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Excellent. I've exercised my mod's prerogative to change the thread title accordingly.

Lewis not only outperformed Brady against the Bengals -- he threw as many touchdown passes yesterday (two) as Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger combined have thrown against the Bengals' defense this year.

cspan37421
10-14-2013, 02:05 PM
The Bills will reportedly sign Matt Flynn (http://tracking.si.com/2013/10/14/bills-to-sign-quarterback-matt-flynn/).

Not sure what this means for Thad. I would expect he would get the start against Miami as there is no way Flynn can be prepared and learn the playbook in less than a week. Plus, Thad played really well.

-Jason "part of this may be a need for a backup in case Thad gets hurt -- he did tweak his ankle in the game on Sunday" Evans

Plus, Flynn has been terrible. He has the 2011 Detroit Lions secondary to thank for the bulk of his career earnings. One game. I am not worried about him winning a spot over a reasonably healthy Thad Lewis.

BlueDevilBrowns
10-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Lewis not only outperformed Brady against the Bengals -- he threw as many touchdown passes yesterday (two) as Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger combined have thrown against the Bengals' defense this year.

I think Brady should get a pass for his performance considering he was playing in a rain storm. It was almost impossible to complete a pass in that game.

Also, Brian Hoyer threw 2 TD's (1 drive of 91 yards and 1 drive of 95 yards) vs. the Bengals defense two weeks ago.

What this tells me is that Cincy gets up for the better teams(the Steelers game was week 2) and falls flat(er) for the weaker opponents. Thus, playing poorly vs. Cleveland and Buffalo.

As a Browns fan, I hated to see Thad not back with us this year, as I believe he's a SOLID 2nd QB for ANY team and better than several of the current starters in the league(and a WAY better QB than what the Browns have now).

SilkyJ
10-14-2013, 02:12 PM

Thad for MVP!!

CameronBornAndBred
10-14-2013, 02:25 PM

They have to sign another QB, no team wants to be without a dependable option. However, I am excited to see Thad get to play in his homestate. He got some good news today.

A league source tells PFT Lewis’s MRI revealed no ligament damage, and he will be labeled day-to-day with a mild foot sprain.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/14/mild-foot-sprain-for-thad-lewis/

slower
10-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Of course, he woke up the next morning and he was still Thad Lewis...and Tom Brady was still Tom Brady.

1999ballboy
10-14-2013, 02:35 PM
I keep thinking about what Thad might have done, and how people would be talking about him, if the Bills had won that coin toss. I thought he played excellent 1st and 4th quarters. He seemed to have good chemistry with his receivers.

1999ballboy
10-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Sorry for the double post, but despite signing Matt Flynn, Thad is still expected to start (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9824447/buffalo-bills-sign-quarterback-matt-flynn-thad-lewis-expected-remain-starter?ex_cid=espnapi_public).

A-Tex Devil
10-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Did any of you fantasy football players out there take the Thad Lewis Challenge (http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/78426/saluting-the-thadchallenge-fantasy-winners) suggested by Bill Barnwell? If you did, it probably paid off!

Bob Green
10-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Thad is 12/20 for 135 yards with an interception in the 1st half.

BD80
10-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Thad is 12/20 for 135 yards with an interception in the 1st half.

But Tannehill generated FOUR touchdowns in the first half. Two for each team.

dukelifer
10-20-2013, 04:11 PM
But Tannehill generated FOUR touchdowns in the first half. Two for each team.

Victory for Thad!

uh_no
10-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Victory for Thad!

he did a good job sticking in there and moving the ball all game....sad for my fins to throw that one away though :(

Mabdul Doobakus
10-20-2013, 05:00 PM
he did a good job sticking in there and moving the ball all game....sad for my fins to throw that one away though :(

Yeah. Thad's my favorite Duke player and I'm a Fins fan...Thad did a good job of not making any key mistakes. His one INT wasn't really his fault...his arm got hit as he threw it. But that game was a lot more about the Fins screwing up and giving that game away.

BD80
10-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Yeah. Thad's my favorite Duke player and I'm a Fins fan...Thad did a good job of not making any key mistakes. His one INT wasn't really his fault...his arm got hit as he threw it. But that game was a lot more about the Fins screwing up and giving that game away.

I'm blaming Tannehill, not Thad, for my untimely departure from the DBR no mistakes league.

DukieInKansas
10-20-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm blaming Tannehill, not Thad, for my untimely departure from the DBR no mistakes league.

Anyone remaining would give Thad credit for that. It's all in your perspective.

duketaylor
10-21-2013, 01:32 PM
I actually drafted Thad in my 16th round for mojo;)
http://shillffl1.football.cbssports.com/draft/results

Have since dropped him, but raised some eyebrows when I took him.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Thaddeus coming up live on NFL Insiders on ESPN in 2 minutes. A Duke QB starting in the NFL and being interviewed on ESPN.

pbohan
10-21-2013, 03:39 PM
It was pouring raining out when brady played them, he couldnt even hold onto the ball.

Acymetric
10-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Thaddeus coming up live on NFL Insiders on ESPN in 2 minutes. A Duke QB starting in the NFL and being interviewed on ESPN.

Does anyone have a recap? Would have enjoyed seeing this one.

1999ballboy
10-22-2013, 12:19 AM
It was raining hard for like one quarter of that Pats/Bengals game. Can't we just enjoy our little snarky inside boast about Thad outplaying him? :rolleyes:

Mabdul Doobakus
10-22-2013, 05:34 AM
Does anyone have a recap? Would have enjoyed seeing this one.

I don't really have too many specifics to offer you, but generally you had a very serene Thad Lewis fielding very generic questions from the likes of Bill Polian and other boring studio hosts. I'm pretty sure I could have answered the questions for Thad, almost word for word. Thad, for his part, displayed a very even-keeled demeanor, one might say a flat affect. People on the twitter were joking that he seemed like he was stoned. I bet that serves him well on the field, but it didn't make for a very interesting interview. It was nice to see him on TV though.

I guess a couple of specifics I remember...he said he's still kind of learning bits and pieces of the offense since he missed training camp, but that he has a good handle on what they're planning to do on each game day. It sounds like maybe they are trying to simplify things just a little for him so he's not overwhelmed...not that he couldn't handle the offense given the proper amount of time, but these things are pretty complex to get all the details down in just a few weeks. He also said he has no idea when EJ Manuel is coming back and so he's not really thinking about it.

I can't remember much else. Nothing at all pertaining to Duke or his time with Coach Cut, or anything like that.

Dev11
10-22-2013, 09:16 AM
People on the twitter were joking that he seemed like he was stoned.

He's always given interviews like that. Oh well, at least he can play quarterback in the NFL.

JasonEvans
10-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Thad had a tough day at the office yesterday against Nawlins.

His stats looked ok, 22-39 for 234 yards and a TD with 1 INT, but he also had a pair of fumbles and the Saints were all over him all game, forcing a lot of bad throws. It wasn't really his fault as New Orleans blitzed a ton and hit him hard all game long. The Bill's O-line seemed to let at least one Saint through on each passing play and at one point in the 3rd or 4th quarter, the Saints took consecutive roughing the passer penalties. They popped him a lot and he did seem to get a bit jittery with his throws as a result.

It was a tough situation for a young QB. I hope he does not get trashed too much by the coaching staff or in the media as the Saints were just all over him all game long.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3463217/thadhit_medium.gif

EJ Manuel is still at least 3 weeks from coming back and there is no talk of anyone other than Thad being the starter until that time.

-Jason "here are Thad's post-game comments (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Thad-Lewis-They-threw-the-kitchen-sink-at-us/c258f4b7-7f8c-4c07-a148-33d5b9b16b06)" Evans

Bluedog
10-28-2013, 09:28 AM
EJ Manuel is still at least 3 weeks from coming back and there is no talk of anyone other than Thad being the starter until that time.

Thad has his work cut out for him next week vs. KC, but then has more winnable games @Pitt and vs. the Jets. They then have a bye week followed by hosting (currently 2-5) the Falcons. Overall, Thad certainly hasn't looked out of his element as a starting NFL QB, which is always a good sign. Hope he continues to get the nod.

1999ballboy
10-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Thad did not practice today and is questionable against the Chiefs. Doug Marrone cited contusions on his ribs and a flu virus. Jeff Tuel and Matt Flynn are ready to start if their numbers are called.

I suspect that EJ Manuel may be a week away from returning, so the Bills are no longer worried about establishing continuity with any one consistent backup to Manuel. I think they're looking at who's the best guy for this week's matchup overall. If Thad's healthy enough, he may have to prove that he's still the guy in practice.

Marrone's comments (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Doug-Marrone-Bills-QB-situation-challenging/01c3ec1f-bbf5-49c4-aef5-fdd947b8695b)

BD80
10-30-2013, 07:41 PM
... Thad, for his part, displayed a very even-keeled demeanor, one might say a flat affect. ...

AKA the Ben Affleck effect?

Thad has his work cut out for him next week vs. KC, but then has more winnable games @Pitt ...

Hey. Just hey. Words can hurt.

throatybeard
11-02-2013, 07:42 PM
The problem with Thad Lewis is that's he's not tall enough to coach the big men for Duke men's basketball.

tommy
11-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Tuel played today in Thad's absence and the Bills led the unbeaten Chiefs for a good chunk of this game. Tuel's numbers were not very impressive though overall (18 of 39 for 229 yards, 1 TD and 2 INT's, for a QB rating of just 52.2). Thad's ratings have been better than that, though to be fair, the Chiefs' defense is one of the very best in the league. Nevertheless, if Manuel isn't ready to play next week, I'd be a bit surprised if the Bills didn't go back to Thad. Which would be nice.

1999ballboy
11-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Even if Thad doesn't start another game, one has got to think he remains EJ Manuel's backup throughout the season... if healthy, of course.

Duvall
11-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Manuel cleared to practice, Matt Flynn released. Looks like Thad and Tuel will be the backups the rest of the way.

Son of Jarhead
12-20-2013, 12:23 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Lewis-a-wiser-QB-in-Bills-offensive-system/8a8d99db-2da9-4814-9d81-8174a213b0d2

Thad is getting another start! Against Miami again, this time at home in Buffalo. Here is Thad talking to the media about getting the start:
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Thad-Lewis-You-never-know-when-your-next-start-is/2bd40e82-b874-4608-a71e-b7129374f43e

Go Thad!!!!