PDA

View Full Version : Coach K talks retirement

JasonEvans
10-04-2013, 01:18 PM
You need not be afraid to read this article (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/dukes-mike-krzyzewski-on-what-hed-like-to-do-in-his-retirement).

He certainly knows what he won't do.

"I would not do games. I would never," he said. "If I’m going to sit and do color for a game, I’d rather coach the game. I don’t want to do that. I know I won’t do that. I’m involved in so many things."

-Jason "interesting article, worth linking. No real discussion of WHEN, which is good" Evans

Billy Dat
10-04-2013, 03:23 PM
On the recent round of media coverage tied to the start of practice, he talked more about how he again thought seriously about retirement because he was so disappointed in the way the 2011-12 season ended.

DBR linked to this from the front page the other day

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/duke/x1703656082/Disappointing-2011-12-season-fueled-Coach-K-s-Olympics-doubts

“I didn’t think I did a real good job,” Krzyzewski said. “I mean, the kids were good. But we didn’t get it. We just didn’t get it. So you start saying ‘Are you getting it?’ When something occurs like that, they very first thing you look at when you are the leader is the leader. Like are you as passionate? Did you want to prepare as much?”

westwall
10-04-2013, 04:34 PM
You need not be afraid to read this article (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/dukes-mike-krzyzewski-on-what-hed-like-to-do-in-his-retirement).

?? -- so WHY start a thread with this title?? To get more hits??

Edouble
10-04-2013, 06:29 PM
?? -- so WHY start a thread with this title?? To get more hits??

I doubt it. Do "hits" (views) really count for anything around here?

I'm not sure how else he would have titled the thread. Coach K talks about retirement, which he is not doing soon?

I didn't find it to be particularly misleading, plus I'm in for any thread started by Jason "I got tweets, yo" Evans, anyway!

Turtleboy
10-04-2013, 09:09 PM
It is certainly a misleading title. He is not talking about retiring, he is speculating on what he will or will not do when he retires. A more accurate title would be "K talks about not retiring." That was the main focus of the article.

Edouble
10-04-2013, 09:25 PM
It is certainly a misleading title. He is not talking about retiring, he is speculating on what he will or will not do when he retires. A more accurate title would be "K talks about not retiring." That was the main focus of the article.

Not really. Here's the title of the article: Duke's Mike Krzyzewski on what he'd like to do in his retirement

From the first/intro. paragraph: Krzyzewski also held a Q&A session with the group, and he was asked about what he wants to do in his retirement.

The focus is not that Coach K said that he is not retiring. The focus is on how he discussed what he will, or will not do, when he does retire. He talks retirement.

Turtleboy
10-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Not really. Here's the title of the article: Duke's Mike Krzyzewski on what he'd like to do in his retirement

From the first/intro. paragraph: Krzyzewski also held a Q&A session with the group, and he was asked about what he wants to do in his retirement.

The focus is not that Coach K said that he is not retiring. The focus is on how he discussed what he will, or will not do, when he does retire. He talks retirement.And specifically says he is not doing it. So to title a thread in such a manner at a time when there is plenty of speculation about when he will do it is misleading, if not provocatively so. The OP tacitly admits as much with his disclaimer.

westwall
10-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Not really. Here's the title of the article: Duke's Mike Krzyzewski on what he'd like to do[B] in his retirement[/B

EXACTLY! While I do"t relish being grouped with Turtleboy, this is why I felt the thread title was misleading and prone to generating unhelpful rumor-mongering. .

brevity
10-05-2013, 12:30 AM
How about "Coach K won't work for ESPN when he retires"? Sure, it may cause a ruckus, but it's less of a ruckus for the purposes of this board.

Edouble
10-05-2013, 01:04 AM
And specifically says he is not doing it. So to title a thread in such a manner at a time when there is plenty of speculation about when he will do it is misleading, if not provocatively so. The OP tacitly admits as much with his disclaimer.

The OP, I think, made a little joke, and it was a bit tongue and cheek. Did you honestly think you were going to click on the link to find out that Coach K was announcing his retirement?

"Plenty of speculation about when he will do it?" Coach K has gone on record as saying he'll be with Duke through 2016, when he will be almost 70 years old. What speculation are you talking about? I think the guy's gonna see where he is at that point.

Do you find the title of the actual article to be provocatively misleading too?

Duke's Mike Krzyzewski on what he'd like to do in his retirement

...because, like it or not, that's what the article is about. Coach K is reaching the end of his coaching career.

uh_no
10-05-2013, 01:12 AM
wow....an article with an interesting tidbit that coach K won't be doing TV when he retires, and all we can do is bicker about the title?

I enjoyed Bob K when he did color, and I'm sure I would enjoy K were he to, but I can really understand not wanting to be on the sidelines and not be able to be able to affect the game....can you imagine how awful it would feel for K to be at a duke game and NOT to be sitting down there on the bench? at least when BK had had the falling out with indiana...which probably made it easier...

JasonEvans
10-05-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm sorry if folks think I was being mean or "seeking hits" when picking the thread title. I was just playing a little "wink wink" game with the board. Many threads about K get sidetracked into discussions of his successor or retirement just because we worry about it so much, so I found it amusing there we had one here where K actually talked about it, at least a little bit.

Again, sorry if I caused anyone undo stress. If it helps, I found the article because Laura Keeley tweeted about it with almost the exact same words I used in the title of my thread. So blame her, not me ;)

-Jason "I wish K would consider doing some color commentary when he is done coaching -- his insight would be fascinating to hear" Evans

sagegrouse
10-05-2013, 10:25 AM
After 30+ years, I think I am beginning to understand the deeper meaning in Coach K's words. For example, from Jason's first post:

"I would not do games. I would never," he said. "If I’m going to sit and do color for a game, I’d rather coach the game. I don’t want to do that. I know I won’t do that. I’m involved in so many things."

Translation: "Chump change." The Coach K economic colossus operates at a different level.

sagegrouse
'I mean this only as a compliment, backhanded though it may be'

devildeac
10-05-2013, 11:58 AM
After 30+ years, I think I am beginning to understand the deeper meaning in Coach K's words. For example, from Jason's first post:

Translation: "Chump change." The Coach K economic colossus operates at a different level.

sagegrouse
'I mean this only as a compliment, backhanded though it may be'

I dunno, sage, looking around a bit and not knowing how reliable some of the sources are, I've seen salaries of $500K for Bayless, $2 mil for stuart "heel boy" scott and $2-4 mil for Bilas. Couldn't find anything for Knight. I'd guess K would (conservatively) command something in that range should he retire at 70 and it would be "chump change" considering his income now, but I'd "retire" and take ~50% of my current income (plus draw down my 401k) to travel, sit in a booth or at courtside and comment about hoops (or realistically something I had good knowledge about:rolleyes:) for about 6 months/year when I reach that age;).

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/stuart-scott-net-worth/

OldPhiKap
10-05-2013, 12:52 PM
wow....an article with an interesting tidbit that coach K won't be doing TV when he retires, and all we can do is bicker about the title?

I enjoyed Bob K when he did color, and I'm sure I would enjoy K were he to, but I can really understand not wanting to be on the sidelines and not be able to be able to affect the game....can you imagine how awful it would feel for K to be at a duke game and NOT to be sitting down there on the bench? at least when BK had had the falling out with indiana...which probably made it easier...

I can see it now --

DICK VITALE: Ooooohhhh! What a bankeroo right there, dipsy-doodle AND the foul! What a PTP-er that kid is, a diper dandy on my "all-Windex" team for the way he cleans up on the glass! Ooooohhhh! He's tied it up and going to the line, the charity stripe, the free throw line, for a chance to win it here. Tell me Coach, Coach K, Michael the Magnificent, what are you telling him as he steps up to take the free throw? I bet you tell him to keep it as smooth as your tennis stroke, boy I had a chance to play some tennis with you down in Boca a few years ago, you are the Bjorn Borg of service, my friend.

K: (staring in disbelief) Dick, you are an idiot.

DV: Oh Mikey, such a kidder! I bet that's the reason Mickey fell in love with you all those years ago. And your beautiful daughters! You are a lucky man, my friend, with such lovely daughters! But better not say too much, or folks will think I'm turning into Brent Musburger! Heh heh woah! Boy, I tell you, he sure got raked over the coals for creeping out on that beautiful girlfriend of the Alabama quarterback a few years ago but I will tell you that Bent is a friend and a great guy and reeeeealy redeemed himself with that interview he had with Eminem, Mister Marshall Mathers, during the Notre Dame - Michigan game the next fall.

K: do you ever shut up and even WATCH the game? Johnson hit the free throw, the game is over.

DV: Game over! I bet that's what you were saying to yourself in the East Regional Finals in nine-teen-ninety-two, when Ricky Pitino and the Wildcats of Ken-tucky took the lead with 2.7 seconds to go. But then Christian Laettner and Grant Hill pulled off one of the greatest moments in sport. I remember where I was, I had just come back from the grocery store because I was out of bananas and I loved to pull up the old tray table in front of the television and have a bowl of Corn Flakes when I watched "Murder, She Wrote" -- boy that Angela Lansbury was great, a national treasure, remember when she was the Queen of Hearts in that movie with Sinatra, Mr. Frank Sinata, what a set of pipes he had -- but I cannot eat my Corn Flakes without fresh bananas.

K: Check, please.

All in all, a wise choice.

Jarhead
10-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Perhaps I can help. I have retired twice, 43 years ago when I retired from the Marine Corps, and 19 years ago when I retired from the American Red Cross. It was more than 5 years before my final retirement that I started wondering what I would do in retirement. Like coach K, I had no idea what I would be doing. I would imagine that as multi-talented as Coach K is he will need more than 3 years to reach a final decision, especially since his calendar is so full to at least the 2016 Olympics.

My decision to retire was made five years before I retired. That's when Mrs. Jarhead and I began traveling whenever we could to check out places and things all over the country. Concurrently I was thinking about what I would do. That part ended when we both decided to accept the idea that we didn't need to do anything. That left us with one more decision -- where?

We continued looking around, and saw so many places we liked that we could not make the decision. Youngest son in Durham took it on himself to help. He sent a list of places that would be acceptable to him. They were all about 2 hours or less from Durham. On football weekends we would visit a few of those places. One of them was Sanford, NC. It took less than an hour to say no to Sanford, but a community that was not on my son's list is just down the road from Sanford, Southern Pines. We drove there to took a look, and 2 weeks later we purchased a half acre lot in a new golf community. Three years later we built the house in which we still live.

The process we followed worked for us, but the very broad horizons that confront Coach K will make his process a whole lot different. Good luck to him, and I hope he stays for a decade or more.

noworries
10-07-2013, 11:54 AM
I can see it now --

DICK VITALE: Ooooohhhh! What a bankeroo right there, dipsy-doodle AND the foul! What a PTP-er that kid is, a diper dandy on my "all-Windex" team for the way he cleans up on the glass! Ooooohhhh! He's tied it up and going to the line, the charity stripe, the free throw line, for a chance to win it here. Tell me Coach, Coach K, Michael the Magnificent, what are you telling him as he steps up to take the free throw? I bet you tell him to keep it as smooth as your tennis stroke, boy I had a chance to play some tennis with you down in Boca a few years ago, you are the Bjorn Borg of service, my friend.

DV: Oh Mikey, such a kidder! I bet that's the reason Mickey fell in love with you all those years ago. And your beautiful daughters! You are a lucky man, my friend, with such lovely daughters! But better not say too much, or folks will think I'm turning into Brent Musburger! Heh heh woah! Boy, I tell you, he sure got raked over the coals for creeping out on that beautiful girlfriend of the Alabama quarterback a few years ago but I will tell you that Bent is a friend and a great guy and reeeeealy redeemed himself with that interview he had with Eminem, Mister Marshall Mathers, during the Notre Dame - Michigan game the next fall.

K: do you ever shut up and even WATCH the game? Johnson hit the free throw, the game is over.

DV: Game over! I bet that's what you were saying to yourself in the East Regional Finals in nine-teen-ninety-two, when Ricky Pitino and the Wildcats of Ken-tucky took the lead with 2.7 seconds to go. But then Christian Laettner and Grant Hill pulled off one of the greatest moments in sport. I remember where I was, I had just come back from the grocery store because I was out of bananas and I loved to pull up the old tray table in front of the television and have a bowl of Corn Flakes when I watched "Murder, She Wrote" -- boy that Angela Lansbury was great, a national treasure, remember when she was the Queen of Hearts in that movie with Sinatra, Mr. Frank Sinata, what a set of pipes he had -- but I cannot eat my Corn Flakes without fresh bananas.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and laughed out loud at work:cool:

throatybeard
10-08-2013, 12:28 AM
I can see it now --

My favorite part of this is how DV gets the clock in the Kentucky game wrong. I'm sure that's on purpose by OPK.

Doug.I.Am
10-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Please, for the love of GOD do not do this to me again......Exhale...

throatybeard
10-08-2013, 03:12 PM
I can see it now --

http://www.theonion.com/articles/dick-vitale-enthusiastic-about-latest-alqaeda-plot,34146/