PDA

View Full Version : Important clarification for main page

1999ballboy
10-03-2013, 01:12 PM
In the main page update with the headline "Bad News for Football, Lax," the subject of football and lacrosse players "going to a bar when [they] are likely underage" is brought up. And even though DBR expressed the point that being at a bar underage is not the main issue at hand, since it's normal college-kid behavior while fighting is not, I think it's important to clarify that it's actually not an issue at all. The incident occurred at Shooters II, which is known around Duke for being an 18-and-older club.

That being said, I agree with DBR's main point. The players should be disciplined for fighting. But even a speculative statement about their doing anything inappropriate underage could prove hurtful when no such behavior occurred.

MCFinARL
10-04-2013, 09:56 AM
In the main page update with the headline "Bad News for Football, Lax," the subject of football and lacrosse players "going to a bar when [they] are likely underage" is brought up. And even though DBR expressed the point that being at a bar underage is not the main issue at hand, since it's normal college-kid behavior while fighting is not, I think it's important to clarify that it's actually not an issue at all. The incident occurred at Shooters II, which is known around Duke for being an 18-and-older club.

That being said, I agree with DBR's main point. The players should be disciplined for fighting. But even a speculative statement about their doing anything inappropriate underage could prove hurtful when no such behavior occurred.

Agree with you in principle that speculating about underage drinking isn't a good idea if it's not known whether it occurred. But I'm not sure how the club being 18-and-older makes a difference, since the legal drinking age in North Carolina is still 21 (with some very rare exceptions that would not apply to drinking in a bar or club). Am I misunderstanding your point?

CDu
10-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Agree with you in principle that speculating about underage drinking isn't a good idea if it's not known whether it occurred. But I'm not sure how the club being 18-and-older makes a difference, since the legal drinking age in North Carolina is still 21 (with some very rare exceptions that would not apply to drinking in a bar or club). Am I misunderstanding your point?

I think the point is that being in that bar under age 21 is not illegal. Drinking in said bar would be. One could, presumably, be in said bar and not drink.

-bdbd
10-04-2013, 11:41 AM
From what I understand, they give out wrist bands or some such markers to 21+ aged customers, at the door, so only the of-age customers get served alcohol. Not at all unusual for 18 and 19-year-olds to be in there.

CPDUKEGUY24
10-04-2013, 11:48 AM

From the main page article - "So while going to a bar when you are likely underage, though illegal, is fairly normal behavior for college students, fighting is a clear violation of Duke rules and must be dealt with."

I appreciate Ballboy's clarification, and not to speak for him, but I had the same thought when I read this. The insinuation seemed to be that the act of being in a bar is the illegal part; but this is a club that allows 18+. This is only to say, be careful when making assumptions that the bar was at fault to let them in and/or the kids were at fault for something other than fighting.

cato
10-04-2013, 11:53 AM
From what I understand, they give out wrist bands or some such markers to 21+ aged customers, at the door, so only the of-age customers get served alcohol. Not at all unusual for 18 and 19-year-olds to be in there.

I recall Shooters from my time in Durham (although not the "II" part -- don't know if this is a new version, or my memory has faded). When I went, wrist bands were distributed. I suppose it is accurate to say that the only customers served alcohol at the bar were those with an ID saying they were of-age.

Parse that how you will.

Indoor66
10-04-2013, 12:07 PM
I recall Shooters from my time in Durham (although not the "II" part -- don't know if this is a new version, or my memory has faded). When I went, wrist bands were distributed. I suppose it is accurate to say that the only customers served alcohol at the bar were those with an ID saying they were of-age.

Parse that how you will.

I wonder if us old guys would have to have a wrist band. They haven't asked me if I was 21 for about 40 or 50 years! :p:cool:

1999ballboy
10-04-2013, 07:40 PM

As others have pointed out, there have not yet been any reports indicating that either athlete was drinking, nor any mentions of whether they had on wristbands. Shooters is a western themed/dance club/mechanical bull type of place. Drinking is rampant there, but it's not the only reason for people to go there. As such, they admit 18-20 year olds.

I'm just pointing out that the only issue at hand should be the fighting incident.

sagegrouse
10-04-2013, 07:44 PM
As others have pointed out, there have not yet been any reports indicating that either athlete was drinking, nor any mentions of whether they had on wristbands. Shooters is a western themed/dance club/mechanical bull type of place. Drinking is rampant there, but it's not the only reason for people to go there. As such, they admit 18-20 year olds.

I'm just pointing out that the only issue at hand should be the fighting incident.

OK, now I'll say it..... If the drinking age was 18, as it was back in the good ol' days, maybe Johnell would have been holding a beer bottle and maybe his hand would not have been broken. Can't speak for the effect on the other guy, though.

sage