PDA

View Full Version : Downloadable Schedule

dukejunkie
10-02-2013, 11:37 AM
In years past I've downloaded the schedule from: http://www.scacchoops.com/Schedule.asp?sTeam=DU

It seemed to do the best job uploading to my phone. I'm looking to download it this year and upload it to my Google Calendar but it won't work. I know that GoDuke's uploadable schedule didn't include television info when sent to my calendar last year so I figured a workaround.

Can anybody help make the csv from scacchoops work or suggest an alternative that will input all game info into Google Calendar. I like having whether it is a home game included.

This used to be easier! Thanks.

jacone21
10-02-2013, 12:24 PM
In years past I've downloaded the schedule from: http://www.scacchoops.com/Schedule.asp?sTeam=DU

It seemed to do the best job uploading to my phone. I'm looking to download it this year and upload it to my Google Calendar but it won't work. I know that GoDuke's uploadable schedule didn't include television info when sent to my calendar last year so I figured a workaround.

Can anybody help make the csv from scacchoops work or suggest an alternative that will input all game info into Google Calendar. I like having whether it is a home game included.

It looks like their csv is missing commas between the values. The header row is properly comma separated, but the rest of the file is not.

I used notepad++ to remove the extra whitespace and add commas. Try this file (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8nINtfEQnQZQU1tMzZfSEVERDA/edit?usp=sharing) and let me know if it works.

ETA: Looking a bit more closely, some of the game times and such don't look quite right. The site owners probably need to update their file.

Bluedog
10-02-2013, 01:13 PM

I figured it out using the SCACC link (I, too, like the fact that it has the TV info), but it wasn't super straightforward as I used Outlook as the intermediary. I couldn't directly import into Google calendar after fixing the formatting issues in the csv, but could to Outlook.

1. Download csv
2. Open in Excel. Copy and paste row 1 headings on to a new tab.
3. Going back to first tab, highlight the first column, navigate to Data -> Text to Columns
4. Delimited, Next, Next, Ok
5. Copy the headers back to the first tab. Delete the second tab.
6. Save file as csv
7. In Outlook, create a new calendar.
8. File -> Open -> Import
9. Import from another program or file -> Next -> Comma Separated values (Windows)
10. Choose cvs file. Do not import duplicate items. Next. Select appropriate calendar -> Next.
11. Select checkbox. Confirm Map Custom Fields looks good. Choose Finish.
12. With calendar selecting in Outlook, choose File -> Save Calendar.
13. Choose filename, save as an iCal file.
14. In Google Calendar, import the iCal file into a new calendar or existing.
15. Voila! It exists in Google Calendar with the TV and times.

Note that if you're not in Eastern Time zone, you can simply change your computer's time zone to eastern prior to importing to Outlook, import it, change it back, and then import into google calendar. The times will then be updated for your time zone!

Also note that Google allows you to subscribe to Duke basketball to automatically import it. If you go to Browse Interesting Calendars, you can choose sports. HOWEVER, the major drawback for this is that it does NOT sync to your phone and you can only view that calendar on a desktop. That's a dealbreaker for me. There are a lot of threads about this annoyance if you google it.

Hope that helps!

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-02-2013, 02:57 PM
This iCal link should work too. It's from the iOS app 'The Score' (I like it a lot better than ESPN's app).

You only need to add this once, it should update in your calendar for future seasons.

api.thescore.com/ncaab/teams/329.ics

dukejunkie
10-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Worked but no TV times. Thank you very much for trying. I will give Bluedog's suggestion a try but looks confusing!

It looks like their csv is missing commas between the values. The header row is properly comma separated, but the rest of the file is not.

I used notepad++ to remove the extra whitespace and add commas. Try this file (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8nINtfEQnQZQU1tMzZfSEVERDA/edit?usp=sharing) and let me know if it works.

ETA: Looking a bit more closely, some of the game times and such don't look quite right. The site owners probably need to update their file.

BD80
10-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Worked but no TV times. Thank you very much for trying. I will give Bluedog's suggestion a try but looks confusing!

It looks confusing, but consider it more carefully. It is actually simple, just very detailed - it describes each action at each step - through each drop down choice

superdave
10-02-2013, 03:56 PM
This iCal link should work too. It's from the iOS app 'The Score' (I like it a lot better than ESPN's app).

You only need to add this once, it should update in your calendar for future seasons.

I used this link on my iphone and it was easy.

dukejunkie
10-02-2013, 04:06 PM
You are right. Bluedog- Thank you very much. I'm good to go until next year when this happens again!

It looks confusing, but consider it more carefully. It is actually simple, just very detailed - it describes each action at each step - through each drop down choice

Rich
10-02-2013, 04:54 PM

I used this link on my iphone and it was easy.

Yes, but this one doesn't show the TV network either. BlueDog's worked for me for use in Outlook, although I had to insert a 15 minute reminder into each calendar entry.

riverside6
10-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Wow, had no clue that the files weren't comma delimited like they should be. I'll get that fixed and updated shortly.

So sorry!

riverside6
10-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Just like that, the file on our site should be fixed.

Bluedog
10-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Just like that, the file on our site should be fixed.

Thanks riverside6 - great site you have! Just to let you know, though, now not all the columns line up with the appropriate headers. Before there were multiple commas between some of the empty fields, so it worked (when converting Text to Columns), but perhaps those duplicate commas were ignored. For example, Meeting Organizer says "TV: ESPN" - that should be under Description. It's a bit misaligned.

riverside6
10-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks riverside6 - great site you have! Just to let you know, though, now not all the columns line up with the appropriate headers. Before there were multiple commas between some of the empty fields, so it worked (when converting Text to Columns), but perhaps those duplicate commas were ignored. For example, Meeting Organizer says "TV: ESPN" - that should be under Description. It's a bit misaligned.

Ok, I'll look into that as well. Thanks for the feedback.

riverside6
10-02-2013, 09:00 PM

I fixed the issues mentioned above and did an import into Outlook succesfully. All looks good. Let me know if you have any other issues.

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Yes, but this one doesn't show the TV network either. BlueDog's worked for me for use in Outlook, although I had to insert a 15 minute reminder into each calendar entry.

No, it doesn't have the network, but it does add the score after the game ends. I use the app to get the viewing options.