PDA

View Full Version : UNC indictments

moonpie23
10-02-2013, 08:58 AM
http://m.newsobserver.com/observer/db_277265/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=JztPGFKS

sagegrouse
10-02-2013, 09:02 AM
http://m.newsobserver.com/observer/db_277265/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=JztPGFKS

I'm all up for it, but the link doesn't work. -- sage

UrinalCake
10-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Could someone pretend for a moment that I'm an idiot and have no idea what these indictments are all about, and then explain what exactly they are and what they potentially mean for UNC? Are these related to the previous football violations, the Blackstock investigation, or something else? Could they possibly affect basketball? And at a more basic level, what exactly is an indictment and will they become public record at any point? Please help. And thanks for forgiving my ignorance.

OldPhiKap
10-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Could someone pretend for a moment that I'm an idiot and have no idea what these indictments are all about, and then explain what exactly they are and what they potentially mean for UNC? Are these related to the previous football violations, the Blackstock investigation, or something else? Could they possibly affect basketball? And at a more basic level, what exactly is an indictment and will they become public record at any point? Please help. And thanks for forgiving my ignorance.

I think they are sealed at present, which means that the targets and sujects of the indictments is mainly speculation.

An indictment is a formal charge from a grand jury. A grand jury hears evidence from the prosecution only, and determines whether the case should go forward or not based on a low standard of proof. As the old saying goes, a DA can indict a ham sandwich. They are generally felony charges.

They are generally unsealed at the initial appearance of the defendant, when the target is first brought into court.

So I am not sure how anyone knows that these are tied to UNC at all, unless word has gotten out from someone in the court, the DA's office, or from someone who testified before the grand jury.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, I do not practice in NC and only dabble in criminal law when required.

sagegrouse
10-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Could someone pretend for a moment that I'm an idiot....

This is too tempting.... Lessee.... I'm trying, I'm trying. Nope, it's too hard.

Good question.

sagegrouse

BD80
10-02-2013, 09:36 AM

An Orange County grand jury heard from an investigator with the Secretary of State’s office this week on cases related to the 2010 football scandal at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Indictments were handed up in the cases, but court documents related to the charges were sealed and names were redacted.

For several years, the Secretary of State’s office has been investigating whether sports agents accused of providing improper benefits to players on the 2010 UNC football team also broke North Carolina laws governing their behavior.

Under state law, sports agents must register with the N.C. Secretary of State’s office and rules governing their behavior prohibit them from offering cash and gifts to woo college athletes to sign contracts.

Search warrants have been filed in Orange County related to the investigation.

Last month an affidavit was unsealed with revelations that Greg Little, a former UNC player, told state agents he had received more than $20,000 from a Georgia-based sports agent.

Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall said Tuesday he could not comment on the status of the state’s investigation

Kimist
10-02-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm all up for it, but the link doesn't work. -- sage

Try this one:

N&O Link (http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/01/3245606/indictments-in-unc-football-related.html)

k

Duvall
10-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Interesting. (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/indictment-unc-tutor-served-as-liaison-between-agent-unc-football-player/12955062/)

A former University of North Carolina tutor became the first person to appear in court Thursday in violation of the state law that regulates how agents may interact with student athletes.

Jennifer Wiley had her first court appearance in Orange County on charges of athlete-agent inducement.
She is one of those indicted earlier this week on charges related to the North Carolina Uniform Athlete Agents Act. She is one of 10 people found to have provided impermissible benefits – both academic and financial – to members of the UNC football team.

Duvall
10-03-2013, 11:59 AM
You know, it's pretty bizarre that North Carolina has a law making it a crime to try to provide professional representation to college athletes.

JasonEvans
10-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Interesting. (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/page/12745416/?break_id=8084)

Wiley among the indicted. Yikes for them! Jail is a powerful incentive to spill the beans about everything! There have got to be some very nervous people at UNC right now.

-Jason "if Wiley is indicted, you know Blake must be as well. Is there any way this could extend to Nyang'oro and his assistant?" Evans

UrinalCake
10-03-2013, 12:09 PM
There was a lot of speculation that Wiley would be one of the five that were indicted. Now I'm really curious who the others will be. It does seem like the process is moving rather quickly, unlike the NCAA 8-)

ps thank you OPK for the legal info, that really cleared things up for me!

Duvall
10-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Is there any way this could extend to Nyang'oro and his assistant?" Evans

That seems unlikely - were they involved in the agent/benefits side of the UNC football scandal at all?

oldnavy
10-03-2013, 01:20 PM
I have a feeling that this is going to get ugly.... Cheats, liars, and subpoena's are not a good combination for UNC. I suspect that loyalty toward UNC is going to quickly dissipate under oath.

JasonEvans
10-03-2013, 01:21 PM
That seems unlikely - were they involved in the agent/benefits side of the UNC football scandal at all?

From the linked article:

Nyang’oro investigation still pending

Wiley is also connected to a second, on-going investigation at UNC by the Secretary of State.

She helped player Michael McAdoo with a paper he turned in for a class in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies, a paper later found to be largely lifted from other sources. McAdoo’s work, which he used as evidence when he sued to be reinstated to the football team, shone a light on that department and especially then-Chairman Julius Nyang’oro and his administrator, Deborah Crowder.

A university review of courses in the department found independent study classes with minimal professor-student interaction and 59 instances between 2007-09 where grades were submitted with forged signatures of professors.

Woodall and the SBI have yet to determine whether Nyang’oro and Crowder, both of whom have left the university, defrauded UNC by collecting pay for classes that instructors didn't teach.

I am wondering if Wiley rolls over and does a plea bargain if she will be asked to testify about the Nyang'oro investigation too. Wiley, as a tutor and a go-between for the agents, is the bridge from the agent scandal to the academic scandal.

-Jason "you know the Secy of State's office is talking to the prosecutors about getting help in the academic fraud investigation" Evans

Olympic Fan
10-03-2013, 01:21 PM
In this case, you are right ... but there have been reports that the SBI is investigating whether Nyang'oro and Crowder -- or anybody else -- received state money for phony courses (apparently pros are paid by the course over summer school).

But while that could still blow up ... I doubt that's part of this package of indictments.

Wiley I understand -- the news came out last month that she funneled the $2,200 a money that Greg Little got from unregistered agent John Watson:

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2013/09/greglittle-09-06

I would also expect to see John Blake to show up in court. He was functioning as an agent while on UNC's football staff.

You know, it's pretty bizarre that North Carolina has a law making it a crime to try to provide professional representation to college athletes.

Obviously, that's not the case. The law requires prospective agents to register with the SOS -- and to abide by NCAA regulations.

Duvall
10-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Obviously, that's not the case. The law requires prospective agents to register with the SOS -- and to abide by NCAA regulations.

Sure. My point was that criminal sanctions for violating NCAA rules is kind of absurd.

dukeofcalabash
10-03-2013, 05:09 PM
I have a feeling that this is going to get ugly.... Cheats, liars, and subpoena's are not a good combination for UNC. I suspect that loyalty toward UNC is going to quickly dissipate under oath.

Remember, most UNC grads are still "laughing" about this problem.

Atlanta Duke
10-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Wiley's attorney is Ellliot Abrams

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/03/3250242/former-unc-tutor-connected-to.html

He is with Joseph Cheshire's firm

http://www.cheshireparker.com/our-lawyers/elliot-sol-abrams

As many may recall, Mr. Cheshire was one of the attorneys for the Duke Lacrosse defendants

Wonder who is covering her legal bills?

superdave
10-03-2013, 05:23 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/03/3250242/former-unc-tutor-connected-to.html

As many may recall, Mr. Cheshire was one of the attorneys for the Duke Lacrosse defendants

Nice article on Cheshire clients (http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20110201/ARTICLES/110209983). A who's who of the betroubled in the state.

moonpie23
10-03-2013, 05:40 PM
joe cheshire and his firm are what we call "heavy artillery"........

Indoor66
10-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Nice article on Cheshire clients (http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20110201/ARTICLES/110209983). A who's who of the betroubled in the state.

Joe Cheshire and family are and were darn fine attorneys. Choosing him is a wise choice.

lotusland
10-03-2013, 07:15 PM

I hope Pack Pride is covering the legal fees. Is that wrong? It feels so right.:D

BD80
10-03-2013, 07:17 PM

This could be REALLY good news. As long as the firm does not ALSO represent unc's interests (with a waiver of conflict) he could negotiate a deal which gets her completely off but requires her to divulge everything! These guys won't buckle under to unc pressure.

OldPhiKap
10-03-2013, 08:11 PM
This could be REALLY good news. As long as the firm does not ALSO represent unc's interests (with a waiver of conflict) he could negotiate a deal which gets her completely off but requires her to divulge everything! These guys won't buckle under to unc pressure.

I am not sure you can do waiver of conflicts in a criminal case. In this context, at least -- part of her consideration HAS to be to spill the beans and plea. First to squeal gets the deal.

My guess is that they start with the small fish they think they can flip, then move up the chain of indictments. That is my general experience with white collar conspiracy cases, at least.

So these guys are probably unavailable for some of the bigger fish.

wilko
10-03-2013, 09:23 PM
I am not sure you can do waiver of conflicts in a criminal case. In this context, at least -- part of her consideration HAS to be to spill the beans and plea. First to squeal gets the deal.

My guess is that they start with the small fish they think they can flip, then move up the chain of indictments. That is my general experience with white collar conspiracy cases, at least.

I tell ya - this scandal makes everyday feel like Christmas morning.
I dont actually care what happens from this point as long as we can keep kicking it around for another 5 yrs.

PSurprise
10-03-2013, 09:28 PM
So when's the poll going up? Who's going to be on the list? I'm sure odds will be up in Vegas in no time, right? Although I know of one four-letter organization who (still) won't care. As Wilko said, this has been a great summer to hate on the cheaters. AND their football team is 1-3! :)

Kimist
10-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Joe Cheshire and family are and were darn fine attorneys. Choosing him is a wise choice.

That is an understatement!

Joseph B. Cheshire V is acknowledged by many to be one of the best (criminal) defense attorneys in the State of North Carolina.

As for associate Elliot Sol Abrams, he is one of the newer attorneys in the firm. But his CV is impressive, and he would not be with the firm unless he had the skills.

I'm not sure at this time who will do the heavy-lifting in the courtroom, as the court session in Hillsborough today was a pretty simple first appearance. As for the tutor, I would not be at all surprised for a serious case of "Let's make a deal!" to occur, with or without her doing her very best canary imitation re the other indicted but still unidentified parties.

In any case, attorneys from Cheshire Parker Schneider & Bryan do not come cheap!

One might even wonder who is paying those bills?? ;)

k

Turtleboy
10-04-2013, 04:29 AM
Sure. My point was that criminal sanctions for violating NCAA rules is kind of absurd.It really is, isn't it? If it is a crime, why not charge the student as well?

rocketeli
10-04-2013, 08:01 AM
It really does seem very silly to have a law making breaking an NCAA rule illegal. People often seem to forget that the NCAA is simply a private company that the members join voluntarily that has it's own rules, not a government agency or court of law. I suspect that this is one of those reactive, "feel good" laws that state legislatures like to pass now and then. In reality-land, as apart from NCAA territory, it is not, nor should it be illegal to give some one a gift, have them visit you, or have some one interview agents or lawyers they would like to hire.

One question I have, is who is driving this indictment train? UNC has nothing to gain and I would have thought they were pretty powerful around here. Is Pat McCory a state grad?

Indoor66
10-04-2013, 08:13 AM
It really does seem very silly to have a law making breaking an NCAA rule illegal. People often seem to forget that the NCAA is simply a private company that the members join voluntarily that has it's own rules, not a government agency or court of law. I suspect that this is one of those reactive, "feel good" laws that state legislatures like to pass now and then. In reality-land, as apart from NCAA territory, it is not, nor should it be illegal to give some one a gift, have them visit you, or have some one interview agents or lawyers they would like to hire.

One question I have, is who is driving this indictment train? UNC has nothing to gain and I would have thought they were pretty powerful around here. Is Pat McCory a state grad?

I believe the law in questions requires Sports Agents to register with the Secretary of State. (http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/athlete/statute.aspx) As such it provides disclosure and reporting requirements. Most professions which allow one to be involved in the financial and legal concerns of another are regulated (see Lawyer, Insurance Agent, Stock Broker, Financial Planner for examples). The statute fits with the usual regulatory scheme of things.

slower
10-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Is Pat McCory a state grad?

MCrory is a graduate of that cradle of learning, Catawba College, which also awarded him an honorary doctorate of "legal letters."

OldPhiKap
10-04-2013, 09:15 AM
"legal letters."

"If vowels are outlawed, only outlaws will use vowels"

(or for you fancy-shmancy law and order types: "f vwls r tlwd, nl[y] tlws wll s vwls")

Merlindevildog91
10-04-2013, 09:28 AM

If everyone signs off on the waiver of conflicts, the attorney/firm can proceed, but it isn't looked up on with favor and most criminal attorneys won't do it.

We in the Varnish Zone have had this happen a couple of times, but it's nerve-racking. The Virginia State Bar goes after people with a sawed-off shotgun and (IMO) isn't too worried as to who gets struck with the pellets.

OldPhiKap
10-04-2013, 09:39 AM
If everyone signs off on the waiver of conflicts, the attorney/firm can proceed, but it isn't looked up on with favor and most criminal attorneys won't do it.

We in the Varnish Zone have had this happen a couple of times, but it's nerve-racking. The Virginia State Bar goes after people with a sawed-off shotgun and (IMO) isn't too worried as to who gets struck with the pellets.

In Georgia, there was an ethical ruling that a single pd office could not defend co-defendants and that it was not waivable. The state bar changed the rule to avoid the result.

And yes, most state bars take those things seriously. Agreed.

JasonEvans
10-04-2013, 12:54 PM
"If vowels are outlawed, only outlaws will use vowels"

(or for you fancy-shmancy law and order types: "f vwls r tlwd, nl[y] tlws wll s vwls")

And OPK wins the internet!!!

neuro
10-04-2013, 03:15 PM
It really is, isn't it? If it is a crime, why not charge the student as well?

Because that's not the way the law was written. Here is a list of acts which are prohibited by the agent.

§ 78C-98. Prohibited conduct.
(a)An athlete agent, with the intent to induce a studentathlete
to enter into an agency contract, shall not:
(1) Give any materially false or misleading information or
make a materially false promise or representation.
(2) Furnish anything of value to a student-athlete before
the student-athlete enters into the agency contract.
(3) Furnish anything of value to any individual other than
the student-athlete or another registered athlete agent.
(b) An athlete agent shall not intentionally:
(1) Initiate contact with a student-athlete unless the
athlete agent is registered under this Article.
(2) Refuse or fail to retain or permit inspection of the
records required to be retained by G.S. 78C-97.
(3) Fail to register as required by G.S. 78C-88.
(4) Provide materially false or misleading information in
an application for registration or renewal of
registration.
(5) Predate or postdate an agency contract.
(6) Fail to notify a student-athlete before the studentathlete
signs or otherwise authenticates an agency
contract for a particular sport that the signing or
authentication shall make the student-athlete ineligible
to participate as a student-athlete in that sport. (2003-
375, s. 2.)

And here are the penalties. Note that the SCHOOL can sue the agent. I'm sure that will never happen. Ever.

§ 78C-99. Criminal penalties.
An athlete agent who violates any provision under G.S. 78C-
98(a) is guilty of a Class I felony. (2003-375, s. 2.)

§ 78C-100. Civil remedies.
(a)An educational institution has a right of action against
an athlete agent or a former student-athlete for damages caused
by a violation of this Article. In an action under this section,
the court may award costs and reasonable attorneys' fees to the
prevailing party.
(b) Damages suffered by an educational institution under
subsection (a) of this section include losses and expenses
incurred because, as a result of the conduct of an athlete agent
or former student-athlete, the educational institution was
injured by a violation of this Article or was penalized,
disqualified, or suspended from participation in athletics by:
(i) a national association for the promotion and regulation of
athletics; (ii) an athletic conference; or (iii) reasonable
self-imposed disciplinary action taken to mitigate sanctions
likely to be imposed by an athletic organization.
(c) A right of action under this section does not accrue
until the educational institution discovers, or by the exercise
of reasonable diligence would have discovered, the violation by
the athlete agent or former student-athlete.
(d) Any liability of the athlete agent or the former
student-athlete under this section is several and not joint.
(e) This Article does not restrict rights, remedies, or
defenses of any person under law or equity. (2003-375, s. 2.)

The full text can be found here: http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/athlete/statute.aspx

Turtleboy
10-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Because that's not the way the law was written. Here is a list of acts which are prohibited by the agent.

And here are the penalties. Note that the SCHOOL can sue the agent. I'm sure that will never happen. Ever.

The full text can be found here: http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/athlete/statute.aspxWell, I guess my question becomes --Why isn't the law written that way (It's illegal to give anything of value to a student but not illegal to accept it) and why is it the state's business in the first place?

Indoor66
10-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Well, I guess my question becomes --Why isn't the law written that way (It's illegal to give anything of value to a student but not illegal to accept it) and why is it the state's business in the first place?

Because the state decided to regulate this form of financial representation, as it does most others forms. You, as a customer, do not get penalized if your financial advisor is acting in violation of the registration statutes. Why would a student in this instance?

Turtleboy
10-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Because the state decided to regulate this form of financial representation, as it does most others forms. You, as a customer, do not get penalized if your financial advisor is acting in violation of the registration statutes. Why would a student in this instance?I am asking why is it the state's business, and it seems to me that you are saying it's because the state says it is. Is that accurate?

Also, why should the state care if I receive something of value from an agent? I feel confident it is not illegal for a theatrical agent, or a literary agent to give money up front to a student. What does being a student have to do with a sports agent doing the same thing?

DukieInKansas
10-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Aren't they going after them because they didn't register with the SoS? I don't think they care what they did or didn't give any students except as evidence of being an agent.

eta: An analogy would be going after a doctor treting people if the doctor that wasn't licensed to practice in the state.

Indoor66
10-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Aren't they going after them because they didn't register with the SoS? I don't think they care what they did or didn't give any students except as evidence of being an agent.

eta: An analogy would be going after a doctor that wasn't licensed to practice in the state.

Bingo

sagegrouse
10-04-2013, 10:36 PM
I am asking why is it the state's business, and it seems to me that you are saying it's because the state says it is. Is that accurate?

Also, why should the state care if I receive something of value from an agent? I feel confident it is not illegal for a theatrical agent, or a literary agent to give money up front to a student. What does being a student have to do with a sports agent doing the same thing?

Let's start with legislative desires and intent. The legislatures of several states want to prevent sports agents, or other individuals, from "corrupting" college athletes within the state. "Corruption," broadly defined, is making gifts or payments that would lead to their disqualification from college athletics, causing their teams to forfeit games and so forth. Do you agree that this is the likely purpose of any sports agent legislation? So, to try and construct meaningful and effective legislation, the states decided that anyone who represented college athletes and others must register in order to practice in that state. Then, for this now-defined class of people, there are rules. One rule is to not make any payments whatsoever or offer anything of value to students participating in college athletics. Mission accomplished, maybe.

But agents and others might reasonably challenge the rights of states to do this in court. Yet the state governments appear to have broad rights to regulate commerce within the state. (The federal government needs to appeal to the Interstate Commerce clause of the Constitution, but the states already have all those rights.) I dunno if the agent regulatory statutes have been tested in court, but I suspect they will withstand judicial scrutiny.

Now, you might ask, what about the economic freedoms espoused by so many, including Adam Smith, Ayn Rand, Thomas Jefferson, the 19th century English liberals (John Stuart Mill, etc.), the Cato Institute and other worthies (or not so worthies)? Under various formulations, people ought to be free to do what they want and dealings between consenting adults should automatically be permitted. Well, those are not necessarily embodied in law and almost certainly not stipulated in the U.S. Constitution.

Now, I don't think the college athletes are or can be punished for accepting money and gifts by the state, but the NCAA can rule them ineligible, and the schools can kick them out. The strong arm of the law in the form of criminal penalties falls on the sports agents and others whom the state construes are acting like sports agents but haven't bothered to register.

Anyway, that's my story, and I am sticking to it.

sagegrouse
'If you really want to see the power of the state against the citizenry, look at the statutes that are designed to protect the legal profession through sanctions against anyone who gives any advice that can be remotely construed as legal advice. These are the laws against the Unauthorized Practice of Law (UPL)'

moonpie23
10-05-2013, 08:46 AM
legal question,( since i didn't stay at a holiday inn last night)

Is there any way she can plea out of this without spilling the beans?

OldPhiKap
10-05-2013, 09:14 AM

If the evidence is weak, she could plea to a lesser charge and just admit the elements of the offense.

Typically, though, you indict those lower on the chain to get info on folks up the chain. You keep those other indictments sealed so the target does not know what you have.

The first to squeal gets the deal. Typically, the lower target's best bet (if they've got you dead to rights) is cooperate and get a reduction in sentence or charges for doing so.

Atlanta Duke
10-05-2013, 09:48 AM
In any case, attorneys from Cheshire Parker Schneider & Bryan do not come cheap!

Except when they allegedly are providing pro bono representation (a situation that no doubt has changed now that major litigation expenses are being incurred)

This N&O story stated Joe Cheshire has been representing Ms. Wiley since at least the spring of 2012

After her father sought his counsel, Cheshire agreed to advise Wiley at no charge, he said, because he believed in her and was sickened by “the extent people would go to destroy her life for their own sales, amusement, or simple irrational hatred for one university.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/15/1932081/former-unc-ch-tutor-had-horrible.html

Mr. Cheshire also has gone to bat for the former head ball coach

He batted back any contentions that Butch Davis, the Tar Heel football coach fired amid the investigation, had any idea Wiley helped players with homework outside the tutoring center.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/15/1932081/former-unc-ch-tutor-had-horrible.html

No surprise Mr. Cheshire is a Tar Heel - class of 1970

http://www.cheshireparker.com/our-lawyers/joseph-blount-cheshire-v

Merlindevildog91
10-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Sure. She could plead guilty or no contest and say nothing, or say she doesn't know anything.

arnie
10-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Except when they allegedly are providing pro bono representation (a situation that no doubt has changed now that major litigation expenses are being incurred)

This N&O story stated Joe Cheshire has been representing Ms. Wiley since at least the spring of 2012

After her father sought his counsel, Cheshire agreed to advise Wiley at no charge, he said, because he believed in her and was sickened by “the extent people would go to destroy her life for their own sales, amusement, or simple irrational hatred for one university.”

He batted back any contentions that Butch Davis, the Tar Heel football coach fired amid the investigation, had any idea Wiley helped players with homework outside the tutoring center.

So the coverup will continue. Maybe Jim Martin can testify to the integrity of the athletic program - claim Wiley was ensuring the student athletes had enough to eat.

77devil
10-05-2013, 04:48 PM
K

Cheshire and his firm ably defended the falsely accused Duke lacrosse players. He's alright by me.

Trinity_93
10-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Cheshire and his firm ably defended the falsely accused Duke lacrosse players. He's alright by me.

Ditto this. Never interested in playing whatever semipro team UNC fields again, and the mere existence of Cheshire's firm is clearly worth more than the entire Duke law school since only one of the aforementioned has any understanding of the legal concept "innocent until proven guilty."

Atlanta Duke
10-05-2013, 05:28 PM

Mr. Cheshire is more than all right. He is one of the finest criminal defense lawyers in the State of North Carolina and has done admirable work in the community. Plus anyone who winds up his firm bio with this statement appears to have his priorities in perspective

Mr. Cheshire has been married for 43 years to Carolyn Beale Cheshire. They have two grown sons, of which they are mighty proud, and two horses and two dogs.:D

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=667912

Unless the indictment has caused a change in perspective, I quoted the references to "simple irrational self-hatred for one university" and the statement regarding what Butch Davis knew to indicate Ms. Wylie appears to be a team player rather than someone inclined to cut a deal

DukieInKansas
10-05-2013, 06:53 PM
The fact that Mr. Cheshire went to UNC just proves that everyone has a fault. :-)

Given his representation of the players during the hoax, I am more than willing to overlook the fault.

devildeac
10-09-2013, 10:07 PM
BAM! The second hammer falls. Any folks have any thoughts about this one? The first one appears to have generated more interests/posts than this one thus far. Who's Next? (not to be confused with the album/LP/CD of the same name;))

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/sports-agent-connected-to-unc-scandal-charged/12976259/

Atlanta Duke
10-10-2013, 12:02 AM
BAM! The second hammer falls. Any folks have any thoughts about this one?

Terry Watson is represented by attorney Russell Babb

Mr. Babb is true Carolina blue - UNC undergrad (Morehead Scholar) and UNC Law degrees - bonus points for being co-captain of the 1995 UNC football team

http://www.tharringtonsmith.com/page/russell-d-babb

Orange County DA Jim Woodall is bringing in reinforcements

Woodall said he plans to deputize Erin Finucan and Dena King from the Secretary of State’s office and Mitch Garrell, a former prosecutor in Durham who is now in a new white-collar crimes post created by the N.C. Conference of District Attorneys. Woodall and the three spent time with state investigators recently studying the North Carolina law that regulates the behavior of sports agents.

“We had to figure out what the law was and how to write the indictments,” Woodall said.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/09/3266760/georgia-sports-agent-charged-in.html

rocketeli
10-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Now I see what UNC thinks they will get out of this process. Just as the academic issues were discovered, lo and behold, to be the work of only one rogue African-American and everything else was move, along, nothing to see here--these indictments paint the picture that the problem was due to a few rogue outsiders and nothing to do with any pattern of institutional culture or wrong doing on UNC's part. A few powerless people will be convicted of felonies and have their lives impacted negatively in show trials and everything will be hunky-dory for the university. They think that because they have already served a penalty for the football violations they will not have the NCAA back bcause that would be some sort of "double jeopardy"

UNC may not have considered the following--those outsiders may be willing to name names and the NCAA is not a court of law or a legal entity. They can come back with more sanctions anytime, if there seems to be new findings.