PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question - from Dean Smith era

gofurman
10-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Who was the guy or guys he let it be known weren't going to play (ankle injury?) and then they 'miraculously' showed up perfectly healthy or 80% and ready to go at the next basketball game?? I know people have referenced that on here from time to time.

Any help here appreciated. If more than one instance please let me know. And was it vs us or someone else? Anyway, any info would be great - the name of the UNC player(s), year, anything

roywhite
10-02-2013, 07:01 AM
Who was the guy or guys he let it be known weren't going to play (ankle injury?) and then they 'miraculously' showed up perfectly healthy or 80% and ready to go at the next basketball game?? I know people have referenced that on here from time to time.

Any help here appreciated. If more than one instance please let me know. And was it vs us or someone else? Anyway, any info would be great - the name of the UNC player(s), year, anything

Seems like El-Deano used that public stance a number of times. As I recall, especially with Phil Ford.

moonpie23
10-02-2013, 08:05 AM
i seem to remember charlie scott being the recipient of some of those miracles...

Kimist
10-02-2013, 11:40 AM
I don't recall the specifics, but in a ewenc game in Cameron (last 5 years or so?) a fouled player who was not a particularly good free-throw shooter was replaced with a much better free-throw shooter after the former was deemed unable to play and virtually ready for a trip to the Duke Hospital emergency room. It was late in the close game, at a critical point.

But, within a couple of minutes, miracle of miracles!!, the "injured" player returned to the game with no lingering aftereffects.

Just another chapter in the saga known as "The Carolina Way." :rolleyes:

(I'm sure someone can provide the details....)

k

Matches
10-02-2013, 11:46 AM
I don't recall the specifics, but in a ewenc game in Cameron (last 5 years or so?) a fouled player who was not a particularly good free-throw shooter was replaced with a much better free-throw shooter after the former was deemed unable to play and virtually ready for a trip to the Duke Hospital emergency room. It was late in the close game, at a critical point.

But, within a couple of minutes, miracle of miracles!!, the "injured" player returned to the game with no lingering aftereffects.

Just another chapter in the saga known as "The Carolina Way." :rolleyes:

(I'm sure someone can provide the details....)

k

Ronald Curry. 2001. That one wasn't a Deano Production, though.

jimsumner
10-02-2013, 12:08 PM
I think this was pretty harmless. Opposing coaches always assumed that they would be facing the full force of a healthy Carolina roster.

Phil Ford did sprain an ankle in 1976, on Spring Break, between the ACC Tournament and Carolina's NCAAT opener against Alabama. Went back home to Rocky Mount and couldn't stay off the court. Rolled it pretty bad, actually. Ford played but Carolina got toasted, primarily because Leon Douglas chewed up Mitch Kupchak and had him for breakfast.

My favorite Smith rhetorical device was his penchant for grotesquely over-stating the abilities of the next opponent.

"The Orphans of the Poor have their best team in years. They take care of the ball, beat you down court, hit the open jumpers and Father Flanagan is one of the best coaches around. We'll be lucky to be competitive."

And, of course, the final would end up 104-57 or some such.

Cameron
10-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Oh, yes, the day that Ronald Curry almost died in battle. Good call. The way the wounded Ronnie sprung from his chair like Rip Van Winkle as soon as Max Owens was finished shooting his free throws for him was really quite extraordinary. Tough as nails, that kid.

Dean was a great teacher.

JTH
10-02-2013, 12:24 PM

That revealed a lot about Doherty's character. It was so blatantly obvious how quickly he seized the moment to jerk Curry out. K was disgusted and Curry looked totally embarrassed on the bench. That's one of many things that I will give Dean Smith credit for. No way he would have humiliated a player like that, not even for the win. As I recall, Curry elected not to play basketball the next year and stick with football. Same with Julius Peppers, who was a pretty solid player. I've always wondered if this incident may have influenced their decisions.

roywhite
10-02-2013, 01:43 PM
I think this was pretty harmless. Opposing coaches always assumed that they would be facing the full force of a healthy Carolina roster.

Phil Ford did sprain an ankle in 1976, on Spring Break, between the ACC Tournament and Carolina's NCAAT opener against Alabama. Went back home to Rocky Mount and couldn't stay off the court. Rolled it pretty bad, actually. Ford played but Carolina got toasted, primarily because Leon Douglas chewed up Mitch Kupchak and had him for breakfast.

My favorite Smith rhetorical device was his penchant for grotesquely over-stating the abilities of the next opponent.

"The Orphans of the Poor have their best team in years. They take care of the ball, beat you down court, hit the open jumpers and Father Flanagan is one of the best coaches around. We'll be lucky to be competitive."

And, of course, the final would end up 104-57 or some such.

I confess to missing Dean somewhat. He really was better at playing the role of the villain than Ole Roy....had much more style and subtlety.

He could slyly criticize the officiating, which he did often on his weekly TV show with his designated straight man, John Kilgo. "Sure would like to see that 4th foul on Al Wood again".

Also to Dean's credit, I think he actually liked his fanbase, which doesn't seem to be the case with Ole Roy.

greybeard
10-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Curry stunk on the basketball court. I think that that fairly explains his decision to stick with football. Peppers was a top five pick by the NFL.

There are plenty of injuries that hurt like hell for a few minutes, seeming to reflect a significant injury but end up not hurting so much. If an athlete is in considerable pain would you have him shoot a free throw.

By the way, if you keep a guy in after the trainer comes out and the player hadn't just popped up, is your team charged a time out? If so, rotten rule, a Hobson's choice. That wouldn't change whether foul shots are involved or not, imo. Does anyone know what the rule was/is?

Olympic Fan
10-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Curry stunk on the basketball court. I think that that fairly explains his decision to stick with football. Peppers was a top five pick by the NFL.

There are plenty of injuries that hurt like hell for a few minutes, seeming to reflect a significant injury but end up not hurting so much. If an athlete is in considerable pain would you have him shoot a free throw.

By the way, if you keep a guy in after the trainer comes out and the player hadn't just popped up, is your team charged a time out? If so, rotten rule, a Hobson's choice. That wouldn't change whether foul shots are involved or not, imo. Does anyone know what the rule was/is?

Disagree about Curry ... at least in 2001. For most of his career, trying to play football and basketball hurt him in both sports. But when he took over at point guard in 2001, that's what energized a UNC team that was off to a slow start. Like the rest of that team, he struggled in the last few weeks and he was never a factor again.

As for the phony injury and free throw replacement act ... it used to happen all the time (amazing how often Kenny Dennard got hurt just long enough for Steve Gray to shoot his FTs). It became so common that the NCAA changed the rules and let the opposing coach pick the FT shooter in the case of an injured player. At first, he had the pick of an entire roster, but they quickly changed the rule to limit his choice to the players on the court. Once they changed the rules, amazing how many fewer injuries there were late in close games. But, yes, the Curry substitution in the 2001 Duke game was a particularly obvious example of the tactic.

As for Dean's miraculous injury cures ... one4 example was the 1998 ACC title game. Antawn Jamison was "doubtful" for the game with a pulled groin. He heroicallky played 36 minutes and had 22 points and 18 rebounds to win the Case award as the MVP. There was a 1987 game at NC State, when Kenny Smityh was not supposed to play with an ankle injury and heroically came off the bench and scored like 30 points ... it happened a lot, but those are two that pop to mind.

Nothing illegal about what Dean did ...

Indoor66
10-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Nothing illegal about what Dean did ...

You are right,, just a statement about his character.

grit74
10-02-2013, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=

Nothing illegal about what Dean did ...[/QUOTE]

Don't think Dean was the coach in 1998.

But I can see that his successor was like having Dean still there.

sagegrouse
10-02-2013, 06:54 PM
That revealed a lot about Doherty's character. It was so blatantly obvious how quickly he seized the moment to jerk Curry out. K was disgusted and Curry looked totally embarrassed on the bench. That's one of many things that I will give Dean Smith credit for. No way he would have humiliated a player like that, not even for the win. As I recall, Curry elected not to play basketball the next year and stick with football. Same with Julius Peppers, who was a pretty solid player. I've always wondered if this incident may have influenced their decisions.

I think the general understanding was that Curry and Peppers hated Doherty's guts. This episode may have been a small part of it.

sagegrouse

Olympic Fan
10-03-2013, 01:51 AM
I think the general understanding was that Curry and Peppers hated Doherty's guts. This episode may have been a small part of it.

sagegrouse

Curry and Peppers DID hate Doherty's guts -- so did most of the team. But it had nothing to do with the fake injury in Cameron (Curry was an enthusiastic participant). Doherty was an abusive and arrogant prick. Even the guys he recruited himself (Felton, May, etc.) hated him.

Agree that Gut, not Dean, was the coach in 1998 when Jamison had his miraculous recovery ... but Gut learned "the Carolina Way" at Dean's side.

throatybeard
10-03-2013, 01:57 AM
I have lot of problems with Dean Smith.

This is not among them.