PDA

View Full Version : Texas AD to Retire

burnspbesq
09-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Dodds is out at the end of the current academic year.

Duke needs to be proactive and pre-emptive. It is not in Duke's interest for Kevin White's name to become part of this conversation.

hurleyfor3
09-30-2013, 09:14 PM
At least there's precedent for the Duke-to-Texas move not working out terribly well. (For the mover.)

BD80
09-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Doesn't bode well for Mack Brown.

ricks68
09-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Dodds let it be known quite a while ago that this was to be his last year.

Mack is gone either way.

ricks

Jarhead
10-01-2013, 12:01 AM

Duke needs to be proactive and pre-emptive. It is not in Duke's interest for Kevin White's name to become part of this conversation.

Sorry to say this, but didn't you just do that?

SoCalDukeFan
10-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I think Kevin White is the best AD in America.

He will be in the conversation wheter anyone here mentions his name or not.

Hopefully he stays at a world class university.

Also hopefully the Longhorns go for someone closer to home.

SoCal

CrazyNotCrazie
10-01-2013, 08:52 AM
I will miss hearing the name "DeLoss Dodds" - the name is so appropriate for the job he holds. The new AD could be filling two major jobs as Barnes hasn't exactly built up a lot of job security for himself either.

TexHawk
10-01-2013, 09:07 AM
I will miss hearing the name "DeLoss Dodds" - the name is so appropriate for the job he holds. The new AD could be filling two major jobs as Barnes hasn't exactly built up a lot of job security for himself either.

There are rumors that their long time baseball coach may be on his way out as well.

As I said in the other thread, there are rumors that it's Bob Bowlsby's job if he wants it. Though it would be a bit awkward leaving the conference commissioner's chair to lead one of the schools. Though in a certain sense, the Big12 commissioner has always been a bit of a puppet for the Texas AD.

ricks68
10-01-2013, 02:18 PM
It will be hard for anyone from out-of-state (country) to come for an interview in Austin if their passport is not current, as the fedral guvmint is shut down at the moment.:rolleyes:

ricks

jimsumner
10-01-2013, 02:29 PM
There are rumors that their long time baseball coach may be on his way out as well.

As I said in the other thread, there are rumors that it's Bob Bowlsby's job if he wants it. Though it would be a bit awkward leaving the conference commissioner's chair to lead one of the schools. Though in a certain sense, the Big12 commissioner has always been a bit of a puppet for the Texas AD.

I would think Augie Garrido should keep his bags packed.

Olympic Fan
10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
At least there's precedent for the Duke-to-Texas move not working out terribly well. (For the mover.)

I thought I was the only one who remembered that Hal Bradley left Duke for Texas!

ricks68
10-01-2013, 02:42 PM
I thought I was the only one who remembered that Hal Bradley left Duke for Texas!

And Gail Goestenkors counts too, doesn't she?

ricks

rthomas
10-01-2013, 06:02 PM
I think Kevin White is the best AD in America.

He will be in the conversation wheter anyone here mentions his name or not.

Hopefully he stays at a world class university.

Also hopefully the Longhorns go for someone closer to home.

SoCal

I agree totally. Krzyzewski is still at Duke and he could have any job in America. White must have done the right things.

A-Tex Devil
10-02-2013, 01:02 PM

I wouldn't entirely rule out White, but I think it's a longshot that Texas tries to poach him. The top three candidates in my mind are Tom Jurich at Louisville, Oliver Luck at WV, and Bernard Muir at Stanford. Bowlsby is an interesting case, but he takes such an enormous pay cut to be the Texas AD that it would seem odd for him to go that route.

Mack is gone next year barring winning out, and even then I think he retires. James Street (maybe unknown here, but Texas legend), about the most energetic 65 year old you will meet, just passed. He and Mack were good friends, and based on Mack's comments this week, that really hit home with him. If Barnes doesn't make the tourney (likely), he is gone. I think Augie sticks around regardless.

Duvall
10-02-2013, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't entirely rule out White, but I think it's a longshot that Texas tries to poach him. The top three candidates in my mind are Tom Jurich at Louisville, Oliver Luck at WV, and Bernard Muir at Stanford. Bowlsby is an interesting case, but he takes such an enormous pay cut to be the Texas AD that it would seem odd for him to go that route.

Sure, but who wouldn't take a pay cut to take their boss's job?

Jurich and Luck? It's good to see that UT arrogance has not been eroded by their recent massive underachievement in every major sport.

A-Tex Devil
10-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Sure, but who wouldn't take a pay cut to take their boss's job?

Jurich and Luck? It's good to see that UT arrogance has not been eroded by their recent massive underachievement in every major sport.

That's tired. If the last 18 months have shown anything it's that DeLoss didn't have the juice in the Big XII that he was often given credit for (including by me). But he's left a lasting legacy that has put Texas in the top tier of schools nation wide (and head and shoulders #1 in $$) compared to where it was in 1981. Mack should have been fired 3 years ago, but DeLoss has a little more loyalty than some more reactionary fans like me. Whether that's good or bad, I dunno, but the dude was a game changer regardless.

As far as "arrogance," what would you suggest they do differently? Troll the FCS for Athletic Directors that might throw Texas a bone and slum it in Austin? Texas has the largest athletic budget and largest revenues available even with their crapping the bed in the 4 major sports last year. This isn't NC State trying to poach Pitino or A&M thinking they will get Saban.

And an AD search is much, much different than a coaching search. When Barnes gets fired and Texas fans inevitably start talking about getting Pitino or Donovan or whomever, I'll be right there with you casting stones at my brethren for assuming too much. I'm already tickled as hell at the Saban and Jon Gruden talk on the football side, which is ridiculous. So I'm with you there. But the Athletic Director is wholly different.

- Jurich has made Louisville, a commuter school, a top 5 revenue athletic department. Perhaps he's entrenched there. I really don't know. But he's a target of every school at this point. If Texas doesn't make the call even to get a quick "No" it would be foolish.

- Oliver Luck has Texas ties, a UT law grad, Oilers QB. He's also been on the Houston Sports Commission, securing 3 new professional sports stadiums, bringing the Dynamo to town and showing an ability to consolidate and raise funds from Texas power brokers. He has eyes on the Stanford AD job from what I understand, and in many ways that might be a better Ath Dir job than Texas. But barring loyalty to WVU, which certainly could win out, I'd think the UT job is a step up in every other way, and also familiar territory for Luck.

I guess it depends on the mentality of the candidate, but struggles on the field aside, it will be an exciting time to take over at UT. They are building a medical school in downtown Austin that will require tearing down the basketball stadium (thank god) and the tennis facilities -- hopefully creating new world class facilities in the process. I think Luck is the guy if he wants it, but we shall see.

throatybeard
10-03-2013, 02:05 AM

Well, let's see. Under the last part of his reign, Texas ran off not one, not two, but FOUR members of their conference. Four. Texas single-handedly ran CU, NU, MU, and A&M out of the conference.* Maybe they consolidated their power, but otherwise...

...I'm not even going to talk about what kind of human being would engage in such behavior.

throatybeard
10-03-2013, 02:09 AM
It's good to see that UT arrogance has not been eroded by their recent massive underachievement in every major sport.

Word.

It's part of their constitution. Don't get me wrong, I hate arrogance, and I often criticize Duke people for arrogance.

I hold Texas in a special category of arrogance, even above the really nasty Duke arrogance I often see. Duke has never run four universities out of their own conference.

throatybeard
10-03-2013, 02:11 AM

I did too, but only because Bill Brill (1931-2011) wrote a book in 1986, when I was in fourth grade, that told me so.

TKG
10-03-2013, 08:08 AM
but only because Bill Brill (1931-2011) wrote a book in 1986, when I was in fourth grade.

Whipper Snapper!

arnie
10-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Whipper Snapper!

Agreed- is he even old enough to drive?

BD80
10-03-2013, 09:36 AM
I did too, but only because Bill Brill (1931-2011) wrote a book in 1986, when I was in fourth grade, that told me so.

When I was in fourth grade, books were written on stone tablets. Boy were they heavy walking miles to school in the snow, uphill.

Tappan Zee Devil
10-03-2013, 10:51 AM
When I was in fourth grade, books were written on stone tablets. Boy were they heavy walking miles to school in the snow, uphill.

and it was uphill both ways

A-Tex Devil
10-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Link below to a long, really interesting (YMM obviously V), article on the LHN from an outsider.

THE EYE OF TEXAS: INSIDE THE LONGHORN NETWORK AS IT CONTINUES TO ENTER UNCHARTED TELEVISION TERRITORY
(http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/10/3/4798078/the-eye-of-texas-inside-the-longhorn-networks-uncharted-television)

I am sure ESPN and the University would have liked to see it get off the ground faster than it did, but it's finally hit that critical mass. The LHN is aggressive, but not harmful, it obviously struggles between critical/fair/homerism, it's slick, it's well done. And most importantly, it's playing a long game. It *can* coexist within a conference.

Anyway -- it's a long but thoughtful read, and I'll leave it here if anyone is interested in how this "evil," "greedy" network is working, cooperating, and evolving two years later.