PDA

View Full Version : 2013-2014 Captains

Dukehky
09-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Tyler Thornton and Rodney Hood voted captains for this years' team.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209269547&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Not surprised TT is a captain, but Rodney Hood!! Wow. First sophomore captains since McRoberts and Paulus, but with a veteran leader like TT probably being the number one captain, Rodney could really flourish.

Queue the people asking why Josh wasn't elected a captain. Important to note that being a senior does not justify being elected a captain. Seth was added to the list later last year as was Melchionni in 06. Additional leadership never hurts, so we'll see if Josh can earn it later in the year. The seniors really set the tone for the teams and I think TT sets a hell of a tone.

Kedsy
09-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Tyler Thornton and Rodney Hood voted captains for this years' team.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209269547&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Not surprised TT is a captain, but Rodney Hood!! Wow. First sophomore captains since McRoberts and Paulus, but with a veteran leader like TT probably being the number one captain, Rodney could really flourish.

Queue the people asking why Josh wasn't elected a captain. Important to note that being a senior does not justify being elected a captain. Seth was added to the list later last year as was Melchionni in 06. Additional leadership never hurts, so we'll see if Josh can earn it later in the year. The seniors really set the tone for the teams and I think TT sets a hell of a tone.

Don't forget Andre Dawkins is a senior too.

If Rodney has enough fire inside to be a captain, I think we're in for a fun ride this season.

NovaScotian
09-27-2013, 05:17 PM
If Rodney has enough fire inside to be a captain, I think we're in for a fun ride this season.

yea, that actually makes me super excited for this year.

i also want to reiterate my prediction that tyler thornton will be the next head coach at duke.

Native
09-27-2013, 05:19 PM
I'll echo what's been said: if K has enough trust in Rodney without ever seeing him in a real game situation to name him a captain, this is going to be a very interesting season.

Looking forward to it!

BD80
09-27-2013, 06:52 PM
This makes me believe that Rodney is likely to be gone after this year. The buzz about how good he is, the team USA invite, and to a much lesser extent, the pre-season AA mention. I believe it is a good thing, because it means the staff's anticipating a monster season for him.

Conversely, I believe it indicates the staff is anticipating that Rasheed will be back next year, else he would have been a captain too.

Henderson
09-27-2013, 08:12 PM
This makes me believe that Rodney is likely to be gone after this year. The buzz about how good he is, the team USA invite, and to a much lesser extent, the pre-season AA mention. I believe it is a good thing, because it means the staff's anticipating a monster season for him.

Conversely, I believe it indicates the staff is anticipating that Rasheed will be back next year, else he would have been a captain too.

I respectfully disagree with this approach. I don't think they name captains based on the expectations of on-court success (let alone pro-prospects), but rather based on perceived leadership qualities. It's not surprising that TT was named, being a senior, a leader, and a coach on the floor (which K loves). Not because of his anticipated on-court contribution. Not taking away anything from the potential of TT's game on court this year, but I'm saying that's not why he was chosen. Rodney Hood could be a monster for this team this year, and he may very well leave after this season, but I don't think that's why he was named a captain. I'm guessing he's earned the respect of his team mates in a way that's stood out.

Rasheed may or may not go after this year, but I don't think that entered into the captaincy discussion. K hasn't named him as a presumptive starter the way he has Amile, Rodney, and Jabari ("and maybe Quinn.") I think K is inviting Rasheed to step up and be a leader, but the selection of the captains suggests he hasn't done that yet. And I doubt very much that has anything to do with RS's pro prospects.

Native
09-27-2013, 08:29 PM
This makes me believe that Rodney is likely to be gone after this year. The buzz about how good he is...

More of aforementioned buzz (http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/09/27/3233580/mike-krzyzewski-will-build-his.html) from our good pal Laura Keeley::

The best player on the 2013-14 Duke team is…

“Rodney (Hood),” Tyler Thornton said Friday, after Duke’s first official practice. “It’s a no-brainer.”

“That guy, I didn’t know he was that good,” said Jabari Parker, echoing Thornton’s praise of Hood. “Being in practice, his jump shot is so pure.”

dcar1985
09-27-2013, 08:43 PM

Yea I'm going to disagree also, not something I believe K would do plus the fact that the captains are voted in by the players not the coaches.

sagegrouse
09-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Yea I'm going to disagree also, not something I believe K would do plus the fact that the captains are voted in by the players not the coaches.

I respectfully disagree with this approach. I don't think they name captains based on the expectations of on-court success (let alone pro-prospects), but rather based on perceived leadership qualities. .

(a) K names the captains, IMHO (where the H is typically silent) Always has; always will.

(b) Perhaps not so much on "perceived leadership qualities," but on "demonstrated leadership qualities."

sagegrouse

bluedevilsince72
09-27-2013, 09:48 PM
I think it says a lot that Quinn Cook was not named a captain (as voted on by his teammates and coaches). And was beat out by a kid that hasnt played a second. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

sagegrouse
09-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Here's the AP story (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9733606/duke-blue-devils-begin-practice-eye-final-four), as published by ESPN.

It treats Duke as a Final Four favorite.

sage

BlueDevilBrowns
09-27-2013, 10:43 PM
I think it says a lot that Quinn Cook was not named a captain (as voted on by his teammates and coaches). And was beat out by a kid that hasnt played a second. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I don't look at Cook as being "beat out" by anybody. Some years there's just 1 captain, some years there's 2 or 3. My opinion is K picked the players(in this case 2) that were most ready to lead at this point in time.

I believe that K will add Quinn later on if Cook's ready for the added responsibility. This just provides added motivation for Cook to continue to grow and mature on the court.

Dukehky
09-27-2013, 10:45 PM

No. Not being a captain isn't a terrible thing. Let's reiterate that Seth Curry wasn't named a captain until later on last year. You don't need 12 leaders on the team. This team has K, TT, apparently Rodney Hood, and then a whole lot of really good players. That's fine with me, I don't care if Quinn wasn't named a captain, he doesn't have to be to be a great player.

Too much emphasis is put on this IMHO. It's a tremendous honor but it's not a sign of a problem for people who aren't chosen as captains.

Kedsy
09-27-2013, 10:53 PM
K hasn't named him as a presumptive starter the way he has Amile, Rodney, and Jabari ("and maybe Quinn.")

Yes, this quote was interesting. First, if K was going to name Amile as one of three definite starters, he could have at least done it awhile ago and saved us all here at DBR from our biggest off-season debate. Apparently K isn't worried about Amile being too small/thin to guard opposing centers like a lot of people on the boards are.

Second, I can't imagine Quinn and Rasheed not starting, so I'd assume this is K trying to light a fire under those two. Perhaps Rasheed has been coasting a little in practice (to the extent that we've had practice). Alternatively, K might be recognizing how much wing talent we have and is trying to light a fire under Andre, Tyler, Semi, Alex, and Matt to go for a starting role.

roywhite
09-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Yes, this quote was interesting. First, if K was going to name Amile as one of three definite starters, he could have at least done it awhile ago and saved us all here at DBR from our biggest off-season debate. Apparently K isn't worried about Amile being too small/thin to guard opposing centers like a lot of people on the boards are.

Second, I can't imagine Quinn and Rasheed not starting, so I'd assume this is K trying to light a fire under those two. Perhaps Rasheed has been coasting a little in practice (to the extent that we've had practice). Alternatively, K might be recognizing how much wing talent we have and is trying to light a fire under Andre, Tyler, Semi, Alex, and Matt to go for a starting role.

Yeah, with a team that we think may be deeper than Duke has had in a while, it seems unlikely K would name all 5 starters as practice just begins. There will be competition for playing time at some spots.

subzero02
09-27-2013, 11:12 PM

K empasized a need to blend well with Jabari and Hood... Maybe K is trying to send a message about chemistry to Cook and Sulaimon. I would love to see some of these practices... So much talent.

MCFinARL
09-27-2013, 11:47 PM

Not to mention he apparently isn't worried about whether people at DBR waste their summers in endless debate about starting lineups....;)

greybeard
09-28-2013, 02:30 AM
Quinn and Rasheed have more than enough to do this season. They will provide shape to the offense and running game, scoring and kick opportunities down the stretch, and be essential to Duke's turnover defense and runout offense. Quinn will need to grow as a scorer, aka Currie, and grow into a point of the type Duke hasn't seen since Hurley. My guess is that Sheed will be expected to produce at a very high level from day one and to grow all aspects of his game steadily throughout the season. Who knows where he might end up by the beginning of March. Really scaring people is a real possibility. Let other guys handle the captaincy. These two guys have plenty to do.

arnie
09-28-2013, 07:03 AM
Not to mention he apparently isn't worried about whether people at DBR waste their summers in endless debate about starting lineups....;)

Actually, he probably read the entire discussion and realized that Amile should start - good decision by K.

BD80
09-28-2013, 12:40 PM
I respectfully disagree with this approach. I don't think they name captains based on the expectations of on-court success (let alone pro-prospects), but rather based on perceived leadership qualities. ...

I agree that captains are chosen for leadership, but not every good leader is chosen each year. Rodney has obviously shown leadership skill, else he wouldn't have been chosen. My point is that he has 3 years of eligibility left, and if he were expected to be back, they would have given the opportunity to lead to a player with more experience at Duke.

I thought Rasheed had been considered a natural leader, including his experience on team USA, and a shoo-in for captain. Only Quin and Tyler have more time on the court for Duke. Since he wasn't selected, I infer that the coaches expect he will get the opportunity next year. Of course, not naming him a presumptive starter may indicate that he didn't meet the staff's expectations in his efforts this summer - which would indicate he is not ready to be a captain.

Actually, he probably read the entire discussion and realized that Amile should start - good decision by K.

K was also persuaded to extend the bench!

I hear he ALSO has 2 special assistants from the business school parsing the "how many minutes" discussions to plan his substitution patterns. But is expected it will take them another 2 weeks just to read the threads, 2 weeks to set up the algorithms, and a whole week for the computers to crunch the data.