PDA

View Full Version : Wiggins CBS Sports preseason POY - Jabari 2nd team - Hood 3rd team

BD80
09-26-2013, 10:38 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23858731/andrew-wiggins-cbssportscoms-preseason-player-of-the-year

Glad this pressure isn't on Jabari who made 2nd team AA. Rodney is listed on the 3rd team. Freshmen J Randle (1st team), Gordon (2d team), (Harrison 3rd team) also listed.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23858735/cbssportscom-201314-preseason-allamerican-teams

3 UK players. 2 from Mich St and Duke. No other players from the ACC.

ChillinDuke
09-27-2013, 10:16 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23858731/andrew-wiggins-cbssportscoms-preseason-player-of-the-year

Glad this pressure isn't on Jabari who made 2nd team AA. Rodney is listed on the 3rd team. Freshmen J Randle (1st team), Gordon (2d team), (Harrison 3rd team) also listed.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23858735/cbssportscom-201314-preseason-allamerican-teams

3 UK players. 2 from Mich St and Duke. No other players from the ACC.

Wow. Quite an opening to that first article. Makes Wiggins sound uninterested in college. Some may even see it as disrespectful. I don't think that was Gary Parrish's (or Wiggins') intent, but that's kind of how it comes off.

Money quote: "...and it is at this moment when I realize that though I'm talking to an immensely gifted young man [Wiggins] who currently projects as the consensus No. 1 pick in next June's NBA Draft, Andrew Wiggins is not all that interested in trying to set scoring records [in college] because, honestly, he doesn't even know what they are, and it's never occurred to him to ask."

- Chillin

Henderson
09-27-2013, 10:20 AM
11 of the 15 players named to the three AA teams are underclassmen. For better or worse (for the players and the game), the NBA drains the swamp now.

NashvilleDevil
09-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Wow. Quite an opening to that first article. Makes Wiggins sound uninterested in college. Some may even see it as disrespectful. I don't think that was Gary Parrish's (or Wiggins') intent, but that's kind of how it comes off.

Money quote: "...and it is at this moment when I realize that though I'm talking to an immensely gifted young man [Wiggins] who currently projects as the consensus No. 1 pick in next June's NBA Draft, Andrew Wiggins is not all that interested in trying to set scoring records [in college] because, honestly, he doesn't even know what they are, and it's never occurred to him to ask."

- Chillin

I don't think it plays like that at all. Full context of that discussion is about Durant's lone year at Texas. Parrish tells him Durant averaged 26 a game and Wiggins says he didn't know that. Wiggins also says he's not sure he'll average that many a game but his team is good and that is all he cares about.

Jarhead
09-27-2013, 01:23 PM
11 of the 15 players named to the three AA teams are underclassmen. For better or worse (for the players and the game), the NBA drains the swamp now.

...and it's up to the NBA Players Association, and no one else, to do something about it. The league is only a facilitator.

Duvall
09-27-2013, 01:28 PM
...and it's up to the NBA Players Association, and no one else, to do something about it. The league is only a facilitator.

Well, the NBPA and the owners. Two sides to that negotiation.

DukieInBrasil
09-27-2013, 03:10 PM
I'll say it again, not that it makes any difference to the publications that put these things out, but i think it is really poor form to put Fr. on pre-season A-A teams, and especially to name a Fr. as the pre-season POY. Did they learn nothing from H. Barnes? He had a fine Fr. season, scoring and rebounding well for a Fr. SF, but there is a big gulf between being very good for a Fr., and being NCAA Player of the Year. Complete and utter lack of perspective, it's what you expect of teenagers, and i guess sports publications lately.

Kedsy
09-27-2013, 03:13 PM
I'll say it again, not that it makes any difference to the publications that put these things out, but i think it is really poor form to put Fr. on pre-season A-A teams, and especially to name a Fr. as the pre-season POY. Did they learn nothing from H. Barnes? He had a fine Fr. season, scoring and rebounding well for a Fr. SF, but there is a big gulf between being very good for a Fr., and being NCAA Player of the Year. Complete and utter lack of perspective, it's what you expect of teenagers, and i guess sports publications lately.

Seems to me pre-season predictions are largely about page hits. If so, the choices make perfect sense.

Wander
09-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Did they learn nothing from H. Barnes?

So if I find you an example of a senior who was voted preseason POY and then didn't come particularly close to getting that award at the end of the season, would you be against picking a senior for preseason POY?

Parrish says it best in the article: "Preseason honors aren't earnable. They are simply educated guesses about what's to come."

Duvall
09-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Parrish says it best in the article: "Preseason honors aren't earnable. They are simply educated guesses about what's to come."

To be fair, Parrish isn't really educated. So there's that.

brevity
09-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Andrew Wiggins is CBSSports.com's Preseason National Player of the Year.

And, before you scream it, yes, I know, he hasn't played a game in college yet. And yes, I know, some of you are going to insist he should've had to "earn it" on the court, and blah, blah, blah. But, with all due respect, I think that's a stupid approach because preseason honors aren't really earnable. They are simply educated guesses about what's to come. So in the same way that Kentucky couldn't possibly earn the preseason No. 1 ranking most will bestow upon it, there was no way for Wiggins to earn this.

It's merely a projection.

After I look in the mirror and admit that the version of college basketball I knew growing up is never coming back, I find myself swayed by this argument.

Think of it this way: your job is to compile a preseason All-American list in September and a final All-American list in March, and make weekly updates in between. Sort of like a poll or power ranking, but for the top 15 players. As a matter of pride, you want to be as right as possible from the beginning. So why ignore freshmen in September that you know will become impact players as the season progresses?

Russ Smith and Doug McDermott are seniors and very logical choices, based on the past few seasons, but they are not immune to injury, unfamiliar responsibilities, or diminished performance for that matter. I think our tendency, based on tradition, is to load up the preseason All-American list with these known quantities, with the full knowledge that any freshmen assigned honorary slots on the Third Team will probably move upward later. But try to make a list like that: 12 returning players, plus Wiggins, Parker, and Randle (all featured on the Third Team). You may like that list right now, and even stand by it, but it won't be an honest prediction of All-Americans by the end of the season.

jv001
09-28-2013, 08:28 AM

- Chillin

If the quote was about J. Parker, I would be saying; what a great team player he must be. We're blessed to have such a humble team player at Duke. GoDuke!