PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Poll - Duke #1 Program for Next 3 Years

Billy Dat
09-25-2013, 12:58 PM
I know it's a pain to link to subscriber-only content, but I thought everyone would want a heads-up.

ESPN - CBB Future Power Rankings
Ranking the 25 teams most likely to have success over next three seasons
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9710359/college-basketball-future-power-rankings-teams-most-likely-succeed-next-three-seasons

Without breaking DBR rules about premium content, I'll just say that they convened a panel of 9 of their CBB writers who ranked teams according to:

COACHING (25 percent): Quality of coaching staff over next three seasons, with heavy emphasis on the head coach
CURRENT TALENT (25 percent): Quality of players currently in the program, focusing on the future
RECRUITING (25 percent): Projected quality of 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes, and recruiting momentum
PROGRAM POWER (15 percent): Fan and institutional support, facilities, resources and tradition
STABILITY (10 percent): Accounts for potential roster and coaching staff turnover

We came out #1 over Big Blue Nation and our light blue friends down the road came in at #9.

Li_Duke
09-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Mods, please delete my post if you think I'm giving too much info.

Duke tied for #1 in coaching (with 2 others), tied for #2 in current talent (with 1 other), tied for #2 in recruiting (with 2 others), and tied for #3 in program power (with 2 others). I ignored stability as who really knows when someone will retire/leave or which players will go pro.

A more interesting discussion is who the board would rank under those 4 criteria and overall. (I don't think many here disagrees with our #1 ranking overall.)

CharlestonDevil
09-25-2013, 02:22 PM
I wonder how much higher Duke's rankings would have been if Jay Bilas wasn't on the panel...

flyingdutchdevil
09-25-2013, 03:01 PM
I wonder how much higher Duke's rankings would have been if Jay Bilas wasn't on the panel...

Hahahaha. Funny, sad, and true...

SupaDave
09-26-2013, 07:06 AM

A bit of an unnecessary shot. What's higher than #1?

sagegrouse
09-26-2013, 08:30 AM

Uhhh.... Honorable Moderator, that was a tongue-in-cheek comment. -- sagegrouse

CharlestonDevil
09-26-2013, 08:36 AM

Duke wasn't in sole possesion of first place in every category, so they could have been higher, technically.

On a side note, I was watching the Duke@UNC game this week and couldn't help but notice how hard Bilas and Dickie V had to dig to find ways to compliment carolina (and even Kentucky at one point discussing the win over UF). It never ceases to amaze me how broadcasters have to say certain positive things about certain programs to appease viewers and keep them tuned in. Call the game for what it is, don't sell it to the audience. Probably why I love Bobby Knight as an announcer.

flyingdutchdevil
09-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Duke wasn't in sole possesion of first place in every category, so they could have been higher, technically.

On a side note, I was watching the Duke@UNC game this week and couldn't help but notice how hard Bilas and Dickie V had to dig to find ways to compliment carolina (and even Kentucky at one point discussing the win over UF). It never ceases to amaze me how broadcasters have to say certain positive things about certain programs to appease viewers and keep them tuned in. Call the game for what it is, don't sell it to the audience. Probably why I love Bobby Knight as an announcer.

1) This is why Bobby Knight no longer announces games

2) If you want a job, you need to praise teams, players, arenas, and fan bases.

It's like any job. Positive reinforcement goes a long, long way.

superdave
09-26-2013, 04:37 PM
1) This is why Bobby Knight no longer announces games

2) If you want a job, you need to praise teams, players, arenas, and fan bases.

It's like any job. Positive reinforcement goes a long, long way.

Woah. Just realized Knight wont be back. Will he even be in the studio for Espn or anyone else?

throatybeard
09-26-2013, 09:00 PM

I consider this a rather brilliant rejoinder to the "yeah, but think what Dean Smith would have done with that team" snark about the fact that the NC State Wolfpack were undefeated national champions in 1974.