PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 9-24-13

jimsumner
09-24-2013, 03:11 PM
The narrative from Cutcliffe continues to be that effort and schemes are fine, execution and consistency are not.

For 62 plays, Duke essentially shut down Pitt. The other 17? Over 400 yards. So, cutting back big plays is an issue. "The execution was spotty. Having good plays at times isn't good enough."

Injuries? McCarthy back at practice today. Norman and Kelby Brown are maybes for Saturday. We'll know more when the official injury report comes out Thursday. "Nobody new out as of yet."

The secondary has to think "pass first, without exception. You can't take a chance. We have to teach discipline, where your eyes are, where your feet are, what you have to do. Training, training, training.

Defensive woes attributed to "thinking slowly, being flat-footed."

Illness last week? Some guys missed practice. "Never a good thing. But I'm sure they had some guys sick."

Troy? Cut and Troy coach Larry Blakeney go back a long way. Cut describes Troy as "a dangerous team with a lot of weapons." They use two quarterbacks. No. 6 Corey Robinson is the passer, No. 7 Deon Anthony is the runner. It is absolutely essential that Duke distinguish between the two.

We discussed Duke's inability to force turnovers. Cut's response. "Not to fear mistakes. See and believe and react. Make a play without fear. Do something, even if it's wrong. I like decisive people. We need to be more decisive."

I talked to some of Duke's defenders about this same problem.

Anunike-"It comes down to being a play-maker, making sure that when that opportunity presents itself, you take care of business."

Cockrell-"There were definitely turnovers there. As a defense, we want to get at least two turnovers a game. We haven't been able to do that and you see the result of the game."

Sarmiento-"There's times when the runner is carrying the ball loose and there's gang-tackling and you've to strip the ball and there's tipped balls in the air and you've got to go get them. And we aren't doing that."

Jamison Crowder leads the ACC with 30 receptions. He is sixth in the NCAA in punt return average, at 19.8 and is one of three players to have two punt-return touchdowns on the season.

Dev11
09-24-2013, 03:42 PM
No Kelby Brown would hurt.

Thanks, Jim