PDA

View Full Version : Shane Battier aka Batman aka Shaneo?

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-24-2013, 02:27 PM
This was too funny not to post here. The NBA marketing wizards are considering allowing nicknames to be worn on the back of the jerseys in at least one of the Nets-Heat matchups this upcoming season. You've got your regular nicknames like D-Wade and King James, and of course Battier added his own humorous twist.

Miami forward Shane Battier - who wasn't exactly thrilled about the nickname idea - said he wanted to wear "Batman" on his jersey, though was told that Warner Brothers holds the rights to that name, and other players have also had to deal with copyright-related issues with their suggested monikers. Battier said he'll go with "Shaneo" instead.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/09/23/nba-may-allow-player-nicknames-on-jerseys.ap/

alteran
09-24-2013, 02:30 PM
This was too funny not to post here. The NBA marketing wizards are considering allowing nicknames to be worn on the back of the jerseys in at least one of the Nets-Heat matchups this upcoming season. You've got your regular nicknames like D-Wade and King James, and of course Battier added his own humorous twist.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/09/23/nba-may-allow-player-nicknames-on-jerseys.ap/

It should say, "Your Daddy."

flyingdutchdevil
09-24-2013, 02:34 PM

I think Battier should go for "chalupa batman".

Billy Dat
09-24-2013, 03:17 PM
I am rarely old school about anything but I don't like this idea. I always think it's weird when I see the Spanish National team and Gasol has "Marc" on the back of his jersey and Rubio has "Ricky". But, if it makes money, its bound to happen. I wonder where they will draw the line? Seeing "White Chocolate" on the back of Jason Williams' jersey would have been pretty classic.

Dev11
09-24-2013, 03:37 PM
I am rarely old school about anything but I don't like this idea. I always think it's weird when I see the Spanish National team and Gasol has "Marc" on the back of his jersey and Rubio has "Ricky". But, if it makes money, its bound to happen. I wonder where they will draw the line? Seeing "White Chocolate" on the back of Jason Williams' jersey would have been pretty classic.

What's the one thing people remember about the XFL?

He Hate Me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Smart)

Billy Dat
09-24-2013, 04:36 PM
What's the one thing people remember about the XFL?

He Hate Me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Smart)

Great call, and that may be the best example of a nickname exceeding the exploits of the player. Who else, ala Rod "He Hate Me" Smart, was someone whose nickname you know but real name you probably don't? And I am not talking about someone like Glen "Doc" Rivers where you call him Doc instead of his first name.

Son of Sam?

tommy
09-24-2013, 05:02 PM
All I can say is thank God the following players are no longer in the league:

Marvin Barnes
Dennis Rodman
Pervis Ellison
Vernell Coles
Rafer Alston
Darryl Dawkins
Daniel Gibson

and of course:

Joel Pryzbilla

nyesq83
09-24-2013, 05:19 PM
what, they couldn't use BATT-MAN?

JNort
09-24-2013, 07:27 PM
I read this yesterday and my opinion has not changed. This is a terrible decision if they go through with it. Not only would it look stupid but its promoting individualism as opposed to the team. I wouldn't mind not having names at all but just putting the team name on the back.

NSDukeFan
09-24-2013, 08:33 PM
I read this yesterday and my opinion has not changed. This is a terrible decision if they go through with it. Not only would it look stupid but its promoting individualism as opposed to the team. I wouldn't mind not having names at all but just putting the team name on the back.

But then how do you know which one is LeBron?

rsvman
09-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Not only will they do it, but they will hire some marketing gurus to figure out how long they need to do it to maximize the money-making potential. To decide, for example, how many games is too few to pique broad interest and how many would be so many that the novelty factor would be gone and the jerseys would lose their mystique.

Too bad The Human Highlight Reel isn't still lacing up those giant shoes.

Dev11
09-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Do any Duke guys in the NBA have worthwhile nicknames? Mason would presumably be suiting up for this game.

sagegrouse
09-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Do any Duke guys in the NBA have worthwhile nicknames? Mason would presumably be suiting up for this game.

How about Uncle Drew?

yootheman
09-24-2013, 11:27 PM

what about Cerebro?

Edouble
09-25-2013, 02:26 AM

Buckets

Hendo

Dev11
09-25-2013, 08:46 AM
How about Uncle Drew?

That's a good one, of course.

Not sure I agree with Hendo and Buckets. Does anybody refer to those guys by those names?

Turk
09-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Well, the first one that came to my mind is "Tinkerbell".

For guys that didn't make the league (and going way back into the mists of time), I was fond of Marty "Big Cat" Nessley, "Thunder Dan" Meagher, John "Onion" Smith, and of course "Zooooooobs". But I guess you have to exclude the obvious contractions of last names...

moonpie23
09-25-2013, 11:46 AM
how about "Winner" ?

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-25-2013, 12:57 PM

MP2?

NovaScotian
09-25-2013, 09:15 PM
How about Uncle Drew?

i'm not so sure the nba would be cool with basically giving pepsi free advertising. though they have been thinking about putting ads on jerseys.