PDA

View Full Version : Open men's basketball practice, 9-28

jimsumner
09-20-2013, 10:27 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209264114&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Edouble
09-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Anyone know if there is a chance that this will be broadcast a la last year's open practice at the army base?

bbosbbos
09-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Is it free? I want to go with my family.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-20-2013, 12:15 PM
If you plan to attend this practice, remember that traffic will be heavy and parking on campus limited because of the football game which kicks off at 3P. It's Homecoming Weekend and Employee Day.

Once you're on campus and have a parking place, plan to stay for the football game!;)

airowe
09-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Is it free? I want to go with my family.

Yes, it's free. Parking will cost you $10 unless you want to huck it from Erwin.

Billy Dat
09-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Very nice, a good reason to plunk down the GoDuke subscription (which can be cancelled after using it for watching the several early season exhibition games I bet they'll show - it's become an annual tradition for me and well worth the $30 some odd dollars)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23842492/duke-to-livestream-its-practice-this-weekend

jimrowe0
09-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Tradition of mine as well. They always broadcast the exhibition games, worth my 30 dollars.

mattman91
09-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Very nice, a good reason to plunk down the GoDuke subscription (which can be cancelled after using it for watching the several early season exhibition games I bet they'll show - it's become an annual tradition for me and well worth the $30 some odd dollars)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23842492/duke-to-livestream-its-practice-this-weekend

can you watch replays of games with a subscription if you miss it live?

dcar1985
09-25-2013, 09:43 PM
can you watch replays of games with a subscription if you miss it live?

Thankfully...Yes.

lotusland
09-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Thankfully...Yes.

what is the best and easiest way to stream it on my new vizio smart tv?

budwom
09-28-2013, 09:18 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209264114&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Hey, Historical Dude, tell me the last time Duke had a hoop captain who has never played an official game in a Duke uniform...

sagegrouse
09-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Hey, Historical Dude, tell me the last time Duke had a hoop captain who has never played an official game in a Duke uniform...

Hey, Budwom, I had a dumb response for you, but then I made a startling discovery: it may have been your namesake.

As a joke, I looked up the first Trinity basketball team, which played in 1905-06. Surely there was a captain, and, by definition, he would not have played before. Then I found that the list of eight stalwarts from that team included, B.S. Womble, a major figure in Duke and North Carolina, and possibly the inspiration for your posting name. First, Bunyan S. Womble was the founder of the major law firm, Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice. Second, he was the chairman of the Board of Trustees of Duke during my time as a student, having ascended to the position after the conflagration in the spring of 1960 that resulted in the resignation of President A. Hollis Edens and the Board's dismissal of Provost Paul M. Gross, who was blamed for Edens' resignation. This was a critical moment in Duke history. Third and certainly least, he was the Grandpa of my freshman roommate.

sagegrouse

budwom
09-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Hey, Budwom, I had a dumb response for you, but then I made a startling discovery: it may have been your namesake.

As a joke, I looked up the first Trinity basketball team, which played in 1905-06. Surely there was a captain, and, by definition, he would not have played before. Then I found that the list of eight stalwarts from that team included, B.S. Womble, a major figure in Duke and North Carolina, and possibly the inspiration for your posting name. First, Bunyan S. Womble was the founder of the major law firm, Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice. Second, he was the chairman of the Board of Trustees of Duke during my time as a student, having ascended to the position after the conflagration in the spring of 1960 that resulted in the resignation of President A. Hollis Edens and the Board's dismissal of Provost Paul M. Gross, who was blamed for Edens' resignation. This was a critical moment in Duke history. Third and certainly least, he was the Grandpa of my freshman roommate.

sagegrouse

Good grief! Great info, there's a coincidence. No, Bunyan S. Womble has been unknown to me until today (what a great name)...budwom was a composite I came up with as a student...many Wombles in the area, particularly
Numa Womble whose farm I lived near in Carrboro/Chapel Hill....and every gas station attendant in Durham seemed to be named Buddy (either that or someone sold gas stations dozens of shirts with the name Buddy
embroidered on them, for no good reason)....someone else pointed out to me that a noted female author from the Piedmont region has written some books with Buddy Womble as a character, but I can
happily document that I was using that (illustrious?) name at least a decade before she did...

Thanks for the great info, Sage, Sumner will have to dig deep to trump that...it's probably now appropriate that I add Bunyan S. Womble to the family tree, and make him my great grandpaw...

mr. synellinden
09-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Laura Keeley's report on the open practice (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/thoughts-from-dukes-open-basketball-practice).

OldPhiKap
09-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Laura Keeley's report on the open practice (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/thoughts-from-dukes-open-basketball-practice).

Money quote for me:

*** Literally every scholarship player had at least one stand-out moment: Marshall Plumlee (who began the scrimmage on the bench for the blue team), took a nice feed and finished with a dunk, Murphy had a nice spin move from the elbow that ended with a lay-up, Ojeleye hit a catch-and-shoot 3 in an early drill and Jones reversed under the basket to finish a lay-up and manage to knock a ball loose from Hood (he was promptly blocked at the other end by Sulaimon). And it wasn’t like I was looking for something nice to say about everyone—this isn't Little League—those plays just happened through the course of the practice.

DevilFalcon
09-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Mods, could this be integrated with the other thread about the same thing?