QB Thomas Sirk (leg)

WR Jack Wise (upper body)

DT A.J. Wolf (leg)

OUT FOR SEASON

OT Tanner Stone (leg)

OldPhiKap
09-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks, Jim.

Here's hoping for continued recovery of our guys, and that we do not add to the list measurably after Saturday's dust has settled.

Bob Green
09-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Jim, thanks again for these reports. It appears we escaped the Georgia Tech game injury free. That's the good news. The potentially bad news is reports floating around about the flu sweeping through the team and affecting around 15 players. Do you have any additional information?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Jim, thanks again for these reports. It appears we escaped the Georgia Tech game injury free. That's the good news. The potentially bad news is reports floating around about the flu sweeping through the team and affecting around 15 players. Do you have any additional information?
Not entirely injury free after GA Tech... Corbin McCarthy was injured in that game and is now questionable. I understand that his rehab is going well, but will not be hurried.

jimsumner
09-19-2013, 02:46 PM

Cut mentioned Tuesday that a handful of players were sick. I've heard nothing further.

Seems a tad early for the flu. Still, a bad cold can be, well bad.

Getting DeWalt-Ondigo back is significant. If McCarthy is out, I would expect to see true freshman Chris Holmes and/or true freshman Deondre Singleton see the field Just not a lot of experienced depth at safety.

Bob Green
09-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Not entirely injury free after GA Tech... Corbin McCarthy was injured in that game and is now questionable. I understand that his rehab is going well, but will not be hurried.

Thanks for the information on McCarthy's rehab. I completely overlooked him when reviewing the injury report.

Olympic Fan
09-19-2013, 04:54 PM
If McCarthy is out, I would expect to see true freshman Chris Holmes and/or true freshman Deondre Singleton see the field Just not a lot of experienced depth at safety.

Just to be clear, if McCarthy is out, then fifth-year senior Anthony Young-Wiseman will start in his place.

If we need another sub at safety, then it gets dicey. I doubt we see Holmes (it looks like he'd redshirting), but Singleton has played and is back from injury. But before him, there's redshirt freshman Devon Edwards (who has played 40 snaps in the first three games after being switched from corner to safety in preseason) and or former walk-on Christian Conway, who played seven snaps at safety against Georgia Tech. Or Ross Cockrell could switch to safety (as he's done before) and Cut could use one of his two superb true freshman corner prospects -- Byron Fields and/or Breon Borders.

We are running out of depth at safety, but at the moment, we're okay without burning any redshirts. Another injury or two and that changes.

jimsumner
09-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Just to be clear, if McCarthy is out, then fifth-year senior Anthony Young-Wiseman will start in his place.

If we need another sub at safety, then it gets dicey. I doubt we see Holmes (it looks like he'd redshirting), but Singleton has played and is back from injury. But before him, there's redshirt freshman Devon Edwards (who has played 40 snaps in the first three games after being switched from corner to safety in preseason) and or former walk-on Christian Conway, who played seven snaps at safety against Georgia Tech. Or Ross Cockrell could switch to safety (as he's done before) and Cut could use one of his two superb true freshman corner prospects -- Byron Fields and/or Breon Borders.

We are running out of depth at safety, but at the moment, we're okay without burning any redshirts. Another injury or two and that changes.

Just to be clear, I never suggested that Holmes and/or Singleton would start. But playing Holmes should be under consideration. Cut was real high on him all of a month ago.

And Duke likely could nurse Singleton's injury and get an injury redshirt. But the need is too great.

And we are forgetting former wide receiver Nick Hill, now a safety. He's been here a long time without actually playing. Maybe it's his time. Or not.

Be interesting to see if DE Britton Grier plays. He's apparently healthy. But he's never redshirted and I've been told that Duke might want to hold him out. His position is upper-class heavy and Duke wants to balance the classes. Ditto with Erich Schneider.

For the record, Young-Wiseman, a fifth-year senior is the only safety with any real experience who is neither a freshman nor a sophomore. Augie Campbell and Chris Tavarez had eligibility this year but both gave up the sport. And Duke moved Braxton back to wide receiver. So, it's a really young group

Bob Green
09-20-2013, 06:45 AM
I hope this article, which is linked on DBR's Main Page, is overblowing the situation:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/x1435696341/Duke-practice-field-doubles-as-triage-area-as-flu-like-symptoms-strike

A couple of tweets earlier in the week indicated the presence of an issue, but this article makes it sound pretty serious.

“We’ve had a lot of fevers, flu-like symptoms,” Cutcliffe said. “We’ve probably had intermittently 15 guys miss practice due to being really sick, not a little sick. We have a lot of them that are practicing sick. I’m hoping it will run its course as we rest up a little bit here toward the end of the week.”