PDA

View Full Version : Section 17

aletcher22
09-18-2013, 06:00 PM
I got a question about section 17. Do you have to be a student or are there restrictions for just a fan to sit in section 17? I am from South Dakota and a die hard fan that is looking to go to the Davidson game.

Any help would be great.

-jk
09-18-2013, 06:09 PM
There are games where students don't use their entire allotment. When this happens (or more accurately, when the Powers That Be expect it), Duke sells bleacher seats as General Admission. Arrive early...

-jk

sagegrouse
09-18-2013, 06:48 PM
There are games where students don't use their entire allotment. When this happens (or more accurately, when the Powers That Be expect it), Duke sells bleacher seats as General Admission. Arrive early...

-jk

Also, those seats come with the warning that you must stand the entire game. -- sagegrouse

JNort
09-18-2013, 10:56 PM
I got a question about section 17. Do you have to be a student or are there restrictions for just a fan to sit in section 17? I am from South Dakota and a die hard fan that is looking to go to the Davidson game.

Any help would be great.

How are you looking at the Davidson game already? When I go to the Duke site the only things I can look at are; UCLA, Elon and CTC

throatybeard
09-19-2013, 04:22 AM
I haven't looked at the census recently, but I'm pretty sure section 17 can accommodate most or all citizens of South Dakota.

Seriously though, folks.

One of the funniest things I've seen in my entire life is what Jon Stewart did to poor January Jones on The Daily Show a couple years ago. She comes onto the last segment, and you can tell he's supposed to be talking to her about Mad Men or whatever movie she's appearing in, but he goes what looks like entirely off script, off reservation, and starts giving her mess for six minutes about being from South Dakota. Apparently the Dakotas have a bit of a rivalry with each other. I can't replicate this, but I'm going to go watch it again on the external HD attached to my DVR.

Dev11
09-19-2013, 09:14 AM

Any help would be great.

Friday night during first semester, and the first regular season game, they likely will not sell off the ends of Section 17 as there should be enough student interest in the game (the freshmen should show up en masse for their first regular season Cameron game). You'd have more luck with a home game between Thanksgiving and the start of second semester.

Ichabod Drain
09-19-2013, 10:36 AM
You'd have more luck with a home game between Thanksgiving and the start of second semester.

As I am not a Duke Alumni or anything this is when I've always gone. If you can make a game after first semester classes end you can usually get tickets. The crowd's usually a lot of non-students but the atmosphere is pretty good since it's mostly people who will only make it to one game a year in Cameron.

This year it looks like those games are Gardner Webb on Dec 16 and Eastern Michigan on Dec 28.

BD80
09-19-2013, 12:42 PM
I haven't looked at the census recently, but I'm pretty sure section 17 can accommodate most or all citizens of South Dakota.

Seriously though, folks.

One of the funniest things I've seen in my entire life is what Jon Stewart did to poor January Jones on The Daily Show a couple years ago. She comes onto the last segment, and you can tell he's supposed to be talking to her about Mad Men or whatever movie she's appearing in, but he goes what looks like entirely off script, off reservation, and starts giving her mess for six minutes about being from South Dakota. Apparently the Dakotas have a bit of a rivalry with each other. I can't replicate this, but I'm going to go watch it again on the external HD attached to my DVR.

Hmm. Must be a Midwest* humor sort of thing. She is now, however, my new favorite actress - she's a Steelers fan.

*Midwest meaning the actual west of middle of the country, which should NOT include Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio or Pittsburgh (yes, Philadelphians say Pittsburgh is in the "Midwest")

throatybeard
09-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Hmm. Must be a Midwest* humor sort of thing. She is now, however, my new favorite actress - she's a Steelers fan.

*Midwest meaning the actual west of middle of the country, which should NOT include Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio or Pittsburgh (yes, Philadelphians say Pittsburgh is in the "Midwest")

I touched off a firestorm on Facebook once by referring to Pittsburgh as "my favorite eastern city."

We can have a discussion about Western Pennsylvania and Ohio, but if Illinois isn't in the Midwest, I don't know what is. Well, except maybe Little Egypt.

ForkFondler
09-19-2013, 01:40 PM
I touched off a firestorm on Facebook once by referring to Pittsburgh as "my favorite eastern city."

We can have a discussion about Western Pennsylvania and Ohio, but if Illinois isn't in the Midwest, I don't know what is. Well, except maybe Little Egypt.

If you go by geography rather than political boundary, Pittsburgh is on the eastern edge of the Midwest, Denver is on the western edge. Chicago and St Louis define the center.

When Northwestern was founded, it was.

Dev11
09-19-2013, 02:41 PM
If you go by geography rather than political boundary, Pittsburgh is on the eastern edge of the Midwest, Denver is on the western edge. Chicago and St Louis define the center.

I generally submit that the athletic conference boundaries from 15 years ago are good representations of the political regions of the country, with some ambiguity around the edges (as a resident, I'd say Denver is somewhere between Texas, Chicago, and San Francisco).

DownEastDevil
09-19-2013, 06:24 PM
How are you looking at the Davidson game already? When I go to the Duke site the only things I can look at are; UCLA, Elon and CTC

The Davidson game was offered to Iron Dukes in Section 17. They are already showing up on ebay and Stub Hub (go figure). So if someone wants to pay that ridiculous price they are available.

Tappan Zee Devil
09-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Friday night during first semester, and the first regular season game, they likely will not sell off the ends of Section 17 as there should be enough student interest in the game (the freshmen should show up en masse for their first regular season Cameron game). You'd have more luck with a home game between Thanksgiving and the start of second semester.

Wow.
Back in my day - and I guess I am approaching dinosaur status (late 60s - but after the great mid 60s teams) - as a student, you had to show up before the freshman game to get a seat. And the first game of the season was usually ~December 1 ("between Thanksgiving and the start of second semester"). Student priorities are not what they were
And we were not even "cameron crazies" back then.

Tappan Zee Devil
09-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Wow.
Back in my day - and I guess I am approaching dinosaur status (late 60s - but after the great mid 60s teams) - as a student, you had to show up before the freshman game to get a seat. And the first game of the season was usually ~December 1 ("between Thanksgiving and the start of second semester"). Student priorities are not what they were

Reading this - I guess I DO qualify as a dinosaur - or at least a Crusty Old Timer (Am I a COT? - at least I do not sleep on one).

However - I can say that in my day - (graduated 1970) - there was no question that the student section was filled (very early) for every game - and we were not "crazies" or supporting a team with a chance to win a national championship - beating uncch was sweet enough.

sagegrouse
09-19-2013, 11:30 PM

From "The Victors:"

Hail, hail to Michigan,
The champions of the WEST.

QED about something -- I'm not sure what.

Sagegrouse

Dev11
09-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Wow.

"Exams start in 9 days, I can't afford to spend 4 hours waiting in line and watching the game."

*Student spends 2 hours hanging out and having dinner with friends, another 2 hours watching Duke Basketball game on laptop in the library/dorm/bar.

Tappan Zee Devil
09-20-2013, 01:13 PM
"Exams start in 9 days, I can't afford to spend 4 hours waiting in line and watching the game."

*Student spends 2 hours hanging out and having dinner with friends, another 2 hours watching Duke Basketball game on laptop in the library/dorm/bar.

OK - I guess I can see that. We had exams in January, a week after coming back from the Christmas break (although I went to all of the January games as well).

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-20-2013, 02:01 PM

As an East Coast snob, what's this Midwest you speak of?