PDA

View Full Version : FB: Pittsburgh 58, Duke 55

Bob Green
09-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Okay, it is past time for a game thread! Pitt is currently a 4 points favorite over Duke with the over/under set at 50.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Pitt has one of the most dangerous receivers in the ACC in Devin Street. They also have a couple of freshmen making noise in WR Tyler Boyd and RB James Conner.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pitt-big-east/pitts-boyd-named-acc-receiver-of-the-week-703615/
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pitt-big-east/pitt-wr-boyd-quickly-picking-up-honors-703684/
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pitt-big-east/freshman-rb-conner-hits-the-ground-running-703781/

Quarterback Tom Savage has thrown four interceptions in 45 pass attempts :cool: :

http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/4708263-74/duke-savage-game#axzz2fHMQmA00

I hope he throws four more on Saturday!

More Pitt articles from the Pittsburgh Tribune:

http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/4717467-74/garner-pitt-receiver#axzz2fHMQmA00
http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/4716000-74/freshmen-pitt-chryst#axzz2fHMQmA00

Bob Green
09-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Okay, the play calling has been vanilla for the first three games. I understand why for NCCU and Memphis, and I sort of understand why for Georgia Tech - Boone was out and the game probably wasn't really winnable so why show your stuff.

Pittsburgh is a team we are evenly matched with so I really hope we see more versatility in plays called. Some things I'd like to see:

1. Misdirection: the jet sweep, an end around, a reverse or something that gets an overreacting defense moving one way and the ball ultimately going the other way. Putting the slot receiver/flanker in motion opens up a lot of possibilities.

2. The toss sweep (have we seen this play run since Desmond Scott ran it for the game winning TD against Virginia two or three years ago?). We run great between the tackles, which is great! But we need to get the ball outside once and a while. I want to see a RB turn the corner and break off a long run.

3. A conventional RB Screen in the middle of the field. Let's get the ball in one of our talented running backs hands with blockers in front and room to operate. We do a good job with the wide receiver screen and the bubble screen, but I'd like to see us execute a conventional screen pass for a change. Perhaps we can catch the defense napping.

4. A trick play. We should be able to execute a double pass or a half back pass or something unique. This is a once a game type situation I am talking about.

I'm sure there are a lot more plays/formations out there we should be running so I'd really like to read some discussion on this topic. Let's talk some football!

Kewlswim
09-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Okay, the play calling has been vanilla for the first three games. I understand why for NCCU and Memphis, and I sort of understand why for Georgia Tech - Boone was out and the game probably wasn't really winnable so why show your stuff.

Pittsburgh is a team we are evenly matched with so I really hope we see more versatility in plays called. Some things I'd like to see:

1. Misdirection: the jet sweep, an end around, a reverse or something that gets an overreacting defense moving one way and the ball ultimately going the other way. Putting the slot receiver/flanker in motion opens up a lot of possibilities.

2. The toss sweep (have we seen this play run since Desmond Scott ran it for the game winning TD against Virginia two or three years ago?). We run great between the tackles, which is great! But we need to get the ball outside once and a while. I want to see a RB turn the corner and break off a long run.

3. A conventional RB Screen in the middle of the field. Let's get the ball in one of our talented running backs hands with blockers in front and room to operate. We do a good job with the wide receiver screen and the bubble screen, but I'd like to see us execute a conventional screen pass for a change. Perhaps we can catch the defense napping.

4. A trick play. We should be able to execute a double pass or a half back pass or something unique. This is a once a game type situation I am talking about.

I'm sure there are a lot more plays/formations out there we should be running so I'd really like to read some discussion on this topic. Let's talk some football!

Gag. Cough. Gag. What is the over-under our first play from scrimmage is a bubble-screen? :(

GO DUKE!

OZZIE4DUKE
09-18-2013, 10:31 PM

I've been calling for the quick pitch to Snead since the first game his freshman year. Still waiting for the first one. Maybe this week, if he plays more than the last (meaningless) series of the game.

Hey Jim, any idea why Josh didn't play last week until the end of the game?

Edouble
09-18-2013, 10:45 PM
I am confident that we will win the game. Special teams should be the difference.

gep
09-19-2013, 02:25 AM
I am confident that we will win the game. Special teams should be the difference.

I recall in the GT game that the first punt for 23 yards was by Spencer Rogers (Sr) as far as the live play-by-play on ESPN online. I attributed the 23 yard punt on that fact. But now, I look at the boxscore on goduke.com and ESPN that Will Monday punted the whole GT game... and that punt was out-of-bounds. What really happened? Does anyone have info? Thanks....

jjasper0729
09-19-2013, 07:35 AM

"We need to get a seal HERE and a seal HERE and try to run this play in the alley!"

You can't go wrong with Lombardi!

arnie
09-19-2013, 07:36 AM
I recall in the GT game that the first punt for 23 yards was by Spencer Rogers (Sr) as far as the live play-by-play on ESPN online. I attributed the 23 yard punt on that fact. But now, I look at the boxscore on goduke.com and ESPN that Will Monday punted the whole GT game... and that punt was out-of-bounds. What really happened? Does anyone have info? Thanks....

He simply shanked his 1st punt. It happens to the best. The D held up well and only allowed a long field goal afterwards.

DukeSean
09-19-2013, 12:46 PM
I've been calling for the quick pitch to Snead since the first game his freshman year. Still waiting for the first one. Maybe this week, if he plays more than the last (meaningless) series of the game.

Hey Jim, any idea why Josh didn't play last week until the end of the game?

Apparently Josh had flu-like symptoms, which is why he didn't play much

Bob Green
09-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Coach Cutcliffe interview on the David Glenn show:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/david-cutcliffe-interview-sept-19

Keys to the game: kicking game, field position and being opportunistic.

Bob Green
09-19-2013, 07:18 PM
My interpretation of this photo (posted at TDD) is we will be wearing white helmets on Saturday:

OZZIE4DUKE
09-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Apparently Josh had flu-like symptoms, which is why he didn't play much

Thanks. Although he looked fine when he hugged me during the Devil Walk. Guess he got a case of the Blue Flu before game time... And I didn't come down with it this week.

DukeSean
09-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Thanks. Although he looked fine when he hugged me during the Devil Walk. Guess he got a case of the Blue Flu before game time... And I didn't come down with it this week.

lucky you! seems like it's getting around the team.

But flu-like symptoms are not an excuse for a poor performance. We need to win this winnable game!

fuse
09-20-2013, 01:09 PM
lucky you! seems like it's getting around the team.

But flu-like symptoms are not an excuse for a poor performance. We need to win this winnable game!

In my limited stint as a Duke athlete, medicine was freely available to even non-scholarship players- things like Sudafed, antibiotics.
I wonder if anyone close to the program can comment on whether or not Duke players get access to flu shots?
It would seem to be a wise approach to include preventative medicine for the team.

mattman91
09-20-2013, 02:32 PM
In my limited stint as a Duke athlete, medicine was freely available to even non-scholarship players- things like Sudafed, antibiotics.
I wonder if anyone close to the program can comment on whether or not Duke players get access to flu shots?
It would seem to be a wise approach to include preventative medicine for the team.

http://www.bewellbuzz.com/general/10-reasons-flu-shots-dangerous-flu/
I would be careful on flu shots. I have never had one and only had the flu once.

DukeSean
09-20-2013, 02:49 PM

I remember being able to get whatever I needed for any sort of physical ailment as an athlete, and while I never got a flu shot myself I'm sure it would be readily available if they wanted

fuse
09-20-2013, 03:15 PM
I would be careful on flu shots. I have never had one and only had the flu once.

Thanks for sharing. Everyone's personal situation is a bit different.
I don't want to completely hijack the thread, but I had the flu really badly about a decade ago and I won't go a season without getting a flu shot.
When swine flu was going around, my youngest got the swine flu and was really, really sick. He had RSV at 1 month of age and appears to be very susceptible to the flu.
We do flu shots as a family, we're exposed via schools, sports leagues, etc.

I realize the flu shot is not a guarantee and is not for everybody.
Life is fatal- no one has survived it yet :-)

Indoor66
09-20-2013, 03:21 PM
I realize the flu shot is not a guarantee and is not for everybody.
Life is fatal- no one has survived it yet :-)

I'm with you on this one. I ALWAYS get a flu shot. I also maintain a current Pneumonia inoculation. I have had serious cases of pneumonia on a couple of occasions and am very careful about respiratory related illness. Not a guarantee, not for everyone but, IMO, is a very worthwhile inoculation.

luvdahops
09-20-2013, 03:23 PM
My interpretation of this photo (posted at TDD) is we will be wearing white helmets on Saturday:

Sure looks that way.

I'm kind of partial to the blue ones myself - I think they are very sharp. I also wouldn't mind seeing the single thick stripe motif carried down to the jerseys and pants.

Olympic Fan
09-20-2013, 03:45 PM
If anyone has paid attention to me football posts in the last couple of years, you'll know that I am a fairly optimistic Duke football supporter.

Even so, I was not all that disappointed by last week's loss to Georgia Tech -- I happen to think GT is REALLY good and is the best team we'll play this season (I guess we'll find out more about that tomorrow when UNC visits Atlanta).

On the other hand, I think tomorrow's game with Pitt is vital -- a pivotal game for this season. Win it, and I'd confidently take bets that we return to a bowl. Lose it and I think it's going to a long season.

I still think this is the best Duke team in the Cutcliffe era -- indeed, the best team since at least 1994. But the injuries are quarterback scare me. I know it wasn't all his fault, but I was disappointed how Connette played against the Jackets. For one thing, we didn't seem to do anything to play to his strengths -- no rollouts and surprisingly little read option. Were the coaches trying to protect their last experienced QB? I can understand that, but I don't think Duke can win that way.

I'm also concerned by the illness flowing through the team. I still remember how a preseason battle with Swine Flu left the 2009 team weakened for the opener. And I was a kid in 1965 when a widespread bout of food poisoning laid a very good Duke team low and led to a 3-2 home loss to Clemson.

But even if a loss is caused by bad luck or the QB injuries, it is what it is -- and I think Pitt is one of those mid-level teams that Duke needs go beat to be successful (along with Navy, Wake and Virginia). A year ago, Duke beat everybody it should have beaten and one team it probably shouldn't have (UNC). That's the kind of opportunism Duke needs at this stage of the program.

sagegrouse
09-20-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm with you on this one. I ALWAYS get a flu shot. I also maintain a current Pneumonia inoculation. I have had serious cases of pneumonia on a couple of occasions and am very careful about respiratory related illness. Not a guarantee, not for everyone but, IMO, is a very worthwhile inoculation.

Moreover, the doctors take one look at me and give me a double dose.

sage

jimsumner
09-20-2013, 04:05 PM
I get flu shots and I don't get the flu.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bob Green
09-20-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm going to keep my comments relatively short this week as I believe this game will be decided by a few factors:

1. Performance on 3rd down: the team absolutely must perform better on 3rd down, on both sides of the ball, than we did last week against Georgia Tech when we were 3-14 on offense but allowed GT to convert 11-17.

To beat Pittsburgh, we need 3rd down numbers in the neighborhood of those achieved in the Memphis game where Duke was 10-18 while holding Memphis to 2-13.

The defense needs to finish sets and get off the field and the offense needs to string together long, points producing drives.

2. Pressuring the quarterback: Pitt has perhaps the most talented receiver in the ACC in 6'4" Devin Street, plus a quality receiver lined up opposite him in freshman Tyler Boyd. The Panthers also have talent at the tight end position. If quarterback Tom Savage is able to sit in the pocket, go through his progressions and select his receiver, he will pick our secondary apart. The guys on the defensive line must make him feel the heat.

3. Balance and versatility on offense: Duke must establish both the running and passing game in order to keep Pitt's defense off balance. I expect Pitt will stack the box, focus on shutting down our running game and dare Connette to beat them via the forward pass. This is a game where we will probably have to successfully pass the football in order to open up the running game.

Items two and three are both somewhat a function of item one.

The three things I will be watching closely from my seat in Wallace Wade are 3rd down, pressuring the quarterback, and offensive balance. Pitt quarterback Tom Savage has thrown four interceptions in Pitt's two games so he has proven to be somewhat erratic when hurried.

Reilly
09-20-2013, 04:54 PM
... I think Pitt is one of those mid-level teams that Duke needs go beat to be successful (along with Navy, Wake and Virginia). ....

I've been wondering about Pitt's "mid-level" status ... I guess "mid-level" can be quite a large category that captures a lot of teams.

On one hand, Pitt was predicted to finish 5th in the 7-team Coastal division, and they are only a 4-point favorite over Duke (guess that would be 7 on a neutral field; and 10 at Pitt). They also have a string of 6 and 7 win seasons recently. All that seems to fit a 'mid-level' description.

On the other hand, if I counted right and am recalling correctly, per the Scout database, Duke has 51 three-star commits in the past 5 recruiting classes, whereas Pitt had 80 such commits. Pitt has gone to a bowl 5 straight years or something. And I think I read they had the #17 defense nationally last year, and have 7 defensive starters back. Their coach seems good from what little I know of him, and they have a big, strong QB who was highly rated coming out of h.s. and bounced around a bit, and a really good WR. In other words, seems they may have the ingredients to be a notch above the WFUs, Navys, and UVas ...

Duvall
09-20-2013, 04:56 PM
In other words, seems they may have the ingredients to be a notch above the WFUs, Navys, and UVas ...

Are WFU and UVa mid-level, though? Think they might be a notch below that.

matt1
09-20-2013, 05:03 PM
I have never had a flu shot (except for the swine flu), but I have never gotten the flu. Also, this is a little silly to discuss, as flu shots would have done no good, as this is most likely a stomach bug, as the flu does not spread in September, rather its season is about December to April.

I think that we win tomorrow. We need to realize how important it is to get two wins in the next two weeks. Really, I would like to have bowl eligibility wrapped up before the Virginia Tech game.

alteran
09-20-2013, 05:15 PM

I don't want to get nasty about it, but that article has a lot of disinformation in it and no documentation.

TKG
09-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Gag. Cough. Gag. What is the over-under our first play from scrimmage is a bubble-screen? :(

GO DUKE!

We will keep Pitt off balance with runs between the tackles! If the bubble screens are going to work the WRs have to hold their blocks for more than one count.

Reilly
09-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Are WFU and UVa mid-level, though? Think they might be a notch below that.

I agree and that's sort of my point. Maybe Pitt can be characterized as 'mid-level' but they are a notch above those others sort-of-similarly situated.

Wins the last 5 years (2008-2012) and number of bowl appearances

Navy: 40 wins, 4 bowls
Pitt: 39 wins, 5 bowls
WFU: 27 wins, 2 bowls
UVA: 24 wins, 2 bowls
Duke: 21 wins, 1 bowl

And Pitt would seem to have better athletes than Navy, given recruiting rankings ...

Olympic Fan
09-20-2013, 11:55 PM
I've been wondering about Pitt's "mid-level" status ... I guess "mid-level" can be quite a large category that captures a lot of teams.

Pitt has also had three head coaches in the last four years ...

By "mid-level" I mean teams that offer Duke a reasonable tossup opponent -- that includes Pitt, Navy, Virginia, N.C. State and probably Wake (although Wake hasn't played up to its preseason projection).

NCCU, Memphis and Troy are the three teams Duke SHOULD beat. Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia Tech and maybe UNC are the four teams we would have to upset to beat.

Get the three we should beat and add at least three of the five tossup opponents and we're back in a bowl without having to upset anybody.

davekay1971
09-21-2013, 07:42 AM

It's a little early for the flu and flu shot at this point. My wife went ahead and got hers last week at a Walgreens, so they are available, but my medical group hasn't even received them yet to give at clinics or in the hospital. So, even if the team routinely gets the shot, they may not have gotten it yet.

TKG
09-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Does anyone know if parking at the Washington Duke for a football game is allowed?

Scorp4me
09-21-2013, 10:35 AM
If anyone has paid attention to me football posts in the last couple of years, you'll know that I am a fairly optimistic Duke football supporter.

Even so, I was not all that disappointed by last week's loss to Georgia Tech -- I happen to think GT is REALLY good and is the best team we'll play this season (I guess we'll find out more about that tomorrow when UNC visits Atlanta).

On the other hand, I think tomorrow's game with Pitt is vital -- a pivotal game for this season. Win it, and I'd confidently take bets that we return to a bowl. Lose it and I think it's going to a long season.

I still think this is the best Duke team in the Cutcliffe era -- indeed, the best team since at least 1994. But the injuries are quarterback scare me. I know it wasn't all his fault, but I was disappointed how Connette played against the Jackets. For one thing, we didn't seem to do anything to play to his strengths -- no rollouts and surprisingly little read option. Were the coaches trying to protect their last experienced QB? I can understand that, but I don't think Duke can win that way.

I'm also concerned by the illness flowing through the team. I still remember how a preseason battle with Swine Flu left the 2009 team weakened for the opener. And I was a kid in 1965 when a widespread bout of food poisoning laid a very good Duke team low and led to a 3-2 home loss to Clemson.

But even if a loss is caused by bad luck or the QB injuries, it is what it is -- and I think Pitt is one of those mid-level teams that Duke needs go beat to be successful (along with Navy, Wake and Virginia). A year ago, Duke beat everybody it should have beaten and one team it probably shouldn't have (UNC). That's the kind of opportunism Duke needs at this stage of the program.

That kind of logical and reasoned response has no place on a message board. I also agree with it completely:D

riverside6
09-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Live stats and play analysis for Duke/Pitt

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=3059

arnie
09-21-2013, 12:39 PM
It's a little early for the flu and flu shot at this point. My wife went ahead and got hers last week at a Walgreens, so they are available, but my medical group hasn't even received them yet to give at clinics or in the hospital. So, even if the team routinely gets the shot, they may not have gotten it yet.

Does the entire defense have the flue?

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Duke just looks physically outmatched upfront on defense. Pittsburgh went right down the field on that first drive, effortlessly picking up chunks of yards on runs straight up the middle. That guy Conner seems like a load, carrying multiple Duke defenders with him for yards at a time.

arnie
09-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Duke just looks physically outmatched upfront on defense. Pittsburgh went right down the field on that first drive, effortlessly picking up chunks of yards on runs straight up the middle. That guy Conner seems like a load, carrying multiple Duke defenders with him for yards at a time.

I think the Connette experiment has come to an end. Those 2 int's really ugly.

bbosbbos
09-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Very sad

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 01:01 PM

I don't know who else we have to turn to. Best thing to do might be to just run the option every play. Connette's had success running the ball, at least. I mean 0-3 passing with 2 INTs so far...

We can't tackle. This looks more like the Duke of my college years (2000-2004). We look outmatched athletically (at least on defense), and we're not making any plays even when we're in place to do so...this last kickoff being just the latest example.

arnie
09-21-2013, 01:05 PM

And maybe not! Running the ball has to be the emphasis.

throatybeard
09-21-2013, 01:05 PM

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Wow. Nice response by Duke on offense there. A big run by Connette to get well into Pittsburgh territory and then a good throw on 3rd and 14 for the TD.

I've noted at least two bad snaps by our center which have disrupted the timing of a couple of plays. One of those was on one of Connette's INTs. That needs to stop.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Pittsburgh with 238 first quarter yards. Uh...yikes.

arnie
09-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Yea. Maybe they're carrying the entire chimney too.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Pittsburgh somehow just got away with one of the most blatant pass interferences you'll ever see.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Pittsburgh somehow just got away with one of the most blatant pass interferences you'll ever see.
That was beyond ridiculous. The defender made no effort to look for the ball. Sheesh...

bbosbbos
09-21-2013, 01:20 PM

question is that nobody challenged the ref

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Oy...

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Oy...

I think that pretty much says it all.

bbosbbos
09-21-2013, 01:25 PM
:mad:

J.Blink
09-21-2013, 01:31 PM
question is that nobody challenged the ref

Cut was yelling and gesticulating wildly. Then got warned by the ref, IMHO.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Hey, I'm having fun.

Another good throw by Connette on 3rd and long (and a better catch by Crowder, who made a great adjustment to run that one down). 62 yard TD.

Defense back on the field. The defense has been managing to get off the field very quickly, albeit not the way you would want.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Are we playing with 9 men on defense? Why does there seem to be so much open field?

throatybeard
09-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Are we playing with 9 men on defense? Why does there seem to be so much open field?

Two of them fell in a flue.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Two of them fell in a flue.

LOL.

Hey, we finally got a pass interference call.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 01:47 PM
TD! We're still kind of in this, somehow.

arnie
09-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Hey, I'm having fun.

Another good throw by Connette on 3rd and long (and a better catch by Crowder, who made a great adjustment to run that one down). 62 yard TD.

Defense back on the field. The defense has been managing to get off the field very quickly, albeit not the way you would want.

This is a wild game

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Crowder with the punt return TD! You could see that one setting up well even before he caught it. Duke's sideline is amped. Now we're definitely in this one. 2 point game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-21-2013, 01:57 PM
This is a wild game

You said it! 2 pt game now... and 58 pts scored in the first half!

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Okay! Now that's some heart!

dukeofcalabash
09-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Okay! Now that's some heart!

Agreed!

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 02:06 PM
My feed just died. Don't think it's the satellite, since my other channels are working. Anyone else?

nyesq83
09-21-2013, 02:07 PM
And they promptly lose the signal, so we get baseball instead with 30 seconds left in the half...

nyesq83
09-21-2013, 02:09 PM
At least Duke has had some special teams plays to keep it fairly close...final TD is a killer

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 02:10 PM
My feed just died. Don't think it's the satellite, since my other channels are working. Anyone else?

Well, it's back in any case. Interesting half of football, to say the least. 468 yards allowed at halftime. Crowder has a rushing TD, receiving TD, and return TD. He's got a good chance at some kind of ACC player of the week award.

BlueDevilBrowns
09-21-2013, 02:11 PM
37 points allowed at the half. If Duke can't generate a pass rush, it's going to be more of the same, I'm afraid.

nyesq83
09-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Not good when your best defensive player is pushed off and allows a TD catch (perfect throw by the Pitt QB, btw).

SCMatt33
09-21-2013, 02:50 PM
I know the Defense is the biggest problem in this game, but Connette has really struggled with consistency. Duke has had several drives end solely because of a poor throw on a simple pass. Besides the interceptions, there have been a couple of third down throws where Connette has simply missed an open receiver on a short route for a first down. You have to think that if Boone were in this game, Duke would have a few more points. Not to say anything bad about Connette, because he has done a more than admirable job given the circumstances, but he's not a full time passer.

arnie
09-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Not good when your best defensive player is pushed off and allows a TD catch (perfect throw by the Pitt QB, btw).

Given up 547 yards and half way through 3rd quarter. Wonder what our defensive yards record is?

nyesq83
09-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Agreed that Connette's lack of accuracy is the root of all this evil.

OMG, that sucked

Easy TD.

Nice pass by Connette for the makeup TD.

SCMatt33
09-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Not a bad design on the fake attempt, but given down, distance, time and score, Pitt was clearly playing for a fake. It still almost worked, but you can't ask your punter to make a perfect pass. A pass that led the receiver to the sideline would have given him a chance to run away from the tackle and make the yards, but the pass forced the receiver to reach inside and he was dead in the water when the catch was made.

cspan37421
09-21-2013, 03:16 PM

There is a lot of misleading information on that site. I would not rely on it. Approved vaccines save lives, and wise people get them.

A good resource for people with questions about vaccines and other medical modalities is sciencebasedmedicine.org. [I am not affiliated with them.]

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Play-by-play announcer with possibly the worst call of a touchdown ever.

nyesq83
09-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Hope Connette isn't seriously hurt. Shoulda gone for 1 point in hindsight. Here comes the rain. Who will it favor?

mgtr
09-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Play-by-play announcer with possibly the worst call of a touchdown ever.

But he was prescient -- just a little early!

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Looks to be raining pretty hard. I don't think it will affect the game TOO much, but you just have worry a little more about securing the ball on those option tosses.

grossbus
09-21-2013, 03:31 PM
A little bummed. Supposed to be getting this game on sun, but a different game showing. Watch espn has the game, but blacked out here.

Sounds like the team is hanging tough despite all the bad breaks.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 03:31 PM
I GUESS Conette threw that because he thought the defender wasn't looking. I don't know how else to explain that decision.

Dukehky
09-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Connette has just played his heart out, but he has made some absolutely terrible mistakes. That last pick was atrocious.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Oy Connette. That'll probably do it.

This team needs to find a way to get the ball in Crowder's hands more often.

nyesq83
09-21-2013, 03:39 PM
This pick 6 - he didn't even see the defender

arnie
09-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Connette has just played his heart out, but he has made some absolutely terrible mistakes. That last pick was atrocious.

Are you referencing the awful pick at approximate. 3:31 or the awful pick 6 at approx 3:38 today?

uh_no
09-21-2013, 03:42 PM

and this one was just as bad....and resulted in 6 for pitt....he's just not a quality passer, and he's in a role where he needs to be, and the results have unfortunately shown.....some great drives, some terrible drives....and credit to the receivers for making some great catches on underthrown balls

he's working his tail off to win games, but I think we all know that our season hinges on the ability to get a better passer under center

arnie
09-21-2013, 03:47 PM
and this one was just as bad....and resulted in 6 for pitt....he's just not a quality passer, and he's in a role where he needs to be, and the results have unfortunately shown.....some great drives, some terrible drives....and credit to the receivers for making some great catches on underthrown balls

he's working his tail off to win games, but I think we all know that our season hinges on the ability to get a better passer under center

Hard to believe he hasn't given the freshman a single series- I don't think the redshirt issue should be a factor now

Dukehky
09-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Are you referencing the awful pick at approximate. 3:31 or the awful pick 6 at approx 3:38 today?

Based on the time that I wrote the post, I was referring to his 3rd pick of the day. His fourth was, well, bad. His first two picks of the game also gave Pitt their lead which they didn't really expand. Duke's defense was porous to say the least but the offense can't put them in positions where they have to save the day.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 03:48 PM
That brings us to 1117 combined yards.

FerryFor50
09-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Can't turn it over that much and expect to win. Unless you can force turnovers yourself...

throatybeard
09-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Look on the bright side, folks. If Carl Franks were still coach, it would be 58-3 instead of 58-48.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Wow. Fumbled punt. A quick strike here and Duke still has a shot.

Dukehky
09-21-2013, 03:53 PM
So you're sayin there's a chance!!!!!

FerryFor50
09-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Hey look! A turnover! Now punch it in!

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Crowder is electric.

uh_no
09-21-2013, 03:55 PM
So you're sayin there's a chance!!!!!

score a TD, kick it away, and the defense has stopped them for most of the half.....get it back and kick the FG to tie

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Sure looks to me like Connette scored there. They would get 20 or so seconds back too.

nyesq83
09-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Does Vegas know football odds? 58-54

SCMatt33
Why hasn't the clock reset???

uh_no
Sure looks to me like Connette scored there. They would get 20 or so seconds back too.

yes sir.

so do we go onside with NO TO left, or do we let the defense do its job????

i vote for kicking it away

Dukehky
09-21-2013, 03:58 PM
score a TD, kick it away, and the defense has stopped them for most of the half.....get it back and kick the FG to tie

With no time outs, you gotta onside kick it. Cut is a ballsy old bastard, I'd be surprised if he kicked it away.

nyesq83
Does Vegas know football odds? 58-54 uh make that 58-55

Dr. Rosenrosen
Right!!!!!!!!! There are at least 10 or 20 seconds that ticked off!!!

mattman91
what the hell am I watching?

SCMatt33
Gotta get the ball 10 yards down the field this time.

Mabdul Doobakus
Come on now. He scored with 3:42 left. How are the refs missing this? How is no one on the coaching staff pointing this out to the refs?

This is a huge oversight.

EDIT: Oh wait. They put it back. NEVERMIND.

Dukehky
09-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Where's Brendan Fowler?!!!!?? Tell him to go get the ball, he's good at that!

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Onside kick?!?!?!?!?

SCMatt33
09-21-2013, 04:00 PM
I don't get this onside kick play. The ball has no chance to go 10 yards. You're completely relying on the other team to drop it.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 04:01 PM
I don't really disagree with the onside kick call. You have no time outs, one first down and it's probably over. The same is still true.

uh_no
09-21-2013, 04:01 PM
I don't get this onside kick play. The ball has no chance to go 10 yards. You're completely relying on the other team to drop it.

sort of like a punter dropping a snap?

with it raining, it's not a bad bet....at least as good as any other onside attempt in the rain

Dukehky
09-21-2013, 04:02 PM
I have no problem with the onside kick. I don't like that version of it though. I'm partial to the ones where you tap it straight and the kicker tries to jump on it. Mostly because that's the only one I've ever seen work.

SCMatt33
09-21-2013, 04:03 PM
sort of like a punter dropping a snap?

with it raining, it's not a bad bet....at least as good as any other onside attempt in the rain

Yeah, but this seems to be their standard play. They tried it against Gtech last week and they just let it roll out of bounds.

uh_no
09-21-2013, 04:05 PM
welp so much for that. good try boys.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-21-2013, 04:05 PM
I have no problem with the onside kick. I don't like that version of it though. I'm partial to the ones where you tap it straight and the kicker tries to jump on it. Mostly because that's the only one I've ever seen work.

There are some kickers who can get it to short hop twice and then bounce into the air. I have no idea how they do that, but it's something they work on. I'm guessing that's not in our kicker's repertoire.

That was one hell of a catch on 3rd down. Good show by our guys keeping this interesting.

nyesq83
09-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Bless them all!

So proud of fighting through adversity, and beating the point spread!

Dukehky
09-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Horrible missed holding call on that big pass play just iced the game for Pitt. Horrendous. Bologna, many many curse words very loudly. The dog is scared, the neighbors are scared. This was a winnable game and one that as a building program Duke needed to win. I understand the back-up qb is a huge issue, but the opportunities were there.

That's it for me on Duke vs. Pitt; everybody have fun at homecoming as we just pound the bejesus out of Troy.

loran16
09-21-2013, 04:13 PM
You know, I can't wait to go through the original duke football threads this year and find each and every one of you who insisted duke's d would be improved and/or a strength.

58 freaking points, and Pitt basically gifted us by going super conservative on their last 3 drives. What a joke. Cutcliffe get someone else to recruit your D please. Now.

Indoor66
09-21-2013, 04:15 PM
You know, I can't wait to go through the original duke football threads this year and find each and every one of you who insisted duke's d would be improved and/or a strength.

58 freaking points, and Pitt basically gifted us by going super conservative on their last 3 drives. What a joke. Cutcliffe get someone else to recruit your D please. Now.

I see that some of the cheerful attitude carries over to football as well as basketball!

nyesq83
09-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Pitt had that QB and two great receivers last week.

How many points can we attribute to pass interceptions? 28? 35?

JNort
09-21-2013, 04:32 PM

While yes our D is bad it is still much better. I mean you can't be good all the time or else no team would ever allow over 20 points. Alabama has given up a 42 point game this year already to an equal opponent and Clemson allowed 35 to an equal opponent. Obviously you don't wanna give up 58 points to someone at your teams own level of play or worse but hey its gonna happen from time to time.

uh_no
09-21-2013, 04:40 PM
While yes our D is bad it is still much better. I mean you can't be good all the time or else no team would ever allow over 20 points. Alabama has given up a 42 point game this year already to an equal opponent and Clemson allowed 35 to an equal opponent. Obviously you don't wanna give up 58 points to someone at your teams own level of play or worse but hey its gonna happen from time to time.

it doesn't help when the offense is unable to stay on the field, which hapened all game last week, and for a couple stretches this week....the quick score on the long pass didn't help either....the first quarter was atrocious, yes, but we improved as the game went on...the pick 6 late made the second half look worse than i think it actually was....they went 3 and out something like 7 times in the second half

throatybeard
09-21-2013, 04:54 PM
I don't know. If I'm Jim Knowles, I'm updating my résumé, just as a precaution.

Giving up 42 to Texas A&M and giving up 58 to Pitt are two different things.

AncientPsychicT
09-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Sigh..... :(

Well, as one of the few students who stayed the entire game, I can't say I'm all that disappointed, actually. Am I bummed that we lost? Yes. Am I soaking wet? Yes. However, I feel like our guys showed tremendous heart and resolve in coming nearly all the way back. Teams that are 23 points down with 18 minutes to play normally don't give themselves a chance to win the game.

As for Connette, he was up and down today, which is better than last week, when he was only down. He showed, at times, comfort and confidence in the offense we were running, and executed more reliably leading to some pretty big plays (of note, that fake-bubble-one-way-bubble-the-other-way 73 yard TD to Crowder that was called back on a penalty; I think the awesomeness of that play blew the flags right out of the refs' pants). At other times, however, he looked unsure like he did last week and tried to force something. Unfortunately, this week his inaccuracy lead to four picks whereas last week it was primarily incompletions (or sacks). Oh well, tis the luck of the draw. If Connette keeps improving at this rate though, we should be ready for Navy in two weeks (we should roflstomp Troy next week).

As for the rain, that was fun! Props to the ~20 students that stayed the entire game with me. I know DBR's Native was one of them.
Sidenote on the rain: In the 4th when the rain came intermittently, we seemed to have much better fortune when it was raining than when it was not. So on that final Pitt drive when it momentarily cleared up, I was internally going, "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Something randomly sucky is gonna happen!" And then, the Pitt wideout made a great grab on the sidelines on 3rd down to end the game. Grrrr, stupid rain.

JNort
09-21-2013, 05:18 PM

Not when their opponents are Alabama and Duke respectively. Id say that should be a fair comparison, Bama and and A&M are comparable opponents as are Duke and Pitt.

JNort
09-21-2013, 05:19 PM
it doesn't help when the offense is unable to stay on the field, which hapened all game last week, and for a couple stretches this week....the quick score on the long pass didn't help either....the first quarter was atrocious, yes, but we improved as the game went on...the pick 6 late made the second half look worse than i think it actually was....they went 3 and out something like 7 times in the second half

Yes and 4 interceptions can make any defense look bad. You essentially give the opposing offense 4 free bonus tries at scoring that they should not have had.

BlueDevilBrowns
09-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Yes and 4 interceptions can make any defense look bad. You essentially give the opposing offense 4 free bonus tries at scoring that they should not have had.

4 interceptions makes an offense look bad while 1000 total yards and nearly 60 points given up makes the defense look bad.

There is no silver lining to this loss. this is a bad loss to a bad team at home.

To brush this off as "well, we tried our best but it's all good" proves the cliche that Duke Fans aren't serious Football fans.

If you're a fan of Duke Football, you should be upset.

devildeac
09-21-2013, 06:27 PM

According to my son-in-law, a former FB manager, most of the 15 players sick during the week were defensive players.

devildeac
09-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Pittsburgh with 238 first quarter yards. Uh...yikes.

At the half, Pitt had 468 yards, once again, according to my son-in-law. He was disgusted.

devildeac
09-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Pittsburgh somehow just got away with several of the most blatant pass interferences you'll ever see.

Fixed it for you. To the folks in the stadium, it looked like several on the same play:mad:.

devildeac
09-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Not a bad design on the fake attempt, but given down, distance, time and score, Pitt was clearly playing for a fake. It still almost worked, but you can't ask your punter to make a perfect pass. A pass that led the receiver to the sideline would have given him a chance to run away from the tackle and make the yards, but the pass forced the receiver to reach inside and he was dead in the water when the catch was made.

I'll politely disagree with this. IIRC, it was 4th and short. If you are going for it, put your regular offense on the field and let them pick up the yard or two, not some trick crap with your punter trying to get the first down on a pass. Or, better yet, let Monday punt, cover the return and make them start on their own 20-25 yard line instead of at our 30. Defense was looking pretty good at that point and I think there was plenty of time left in the game.

devildeac
09-21-2013, 06:37 PM

They ended up resetting the clock to about 3:43.

devildeac
09-21-2013, 06:40 PM
yes sir.

so do we go onside with NO TO left, or do we let the defense do its job????

i vote for kicking it away

With no time outs, you gotta onside kick it. Cut is a ballsy old bastard, I'd be surprised if he kicked it away.

Consensus with our group and in our tent after the game was we should have had Martin try to kick it in the end zone and give them the ball at their 25 and ask the D for one more stop. Not to try the onside kick with the higher likelihood that they get the ball at our ~45.

devildeac
09-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Pitt had that QB and two great receivers last week.

How many points can we attribute to pass interceptions? 28? 35?

I think it was 17. A TD and FG in the first half and the pick 6 in the second half. I think they misses a FG after one INT.

devildeac
09-21-2013, 06:47 PM

Sadly, in some ways, Cut's too loyal. We were horrible the last 4 (6?) games of the year last year giving up 45-50 PPG and ~500 YPG. I thought he should have been polishing that CV after the second half of last season.

devildeac
09-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Sigh..... :(

Well, as one of the few students who stayed the entire game, I can't say I'm all that disappointed, actually. Am I bummed that we lost? Yes. Am I soaking wet? Yes. However, I feel like our guys showed tremendous heart and resolve in coming nearly all the way back. Teams that are 23 points down with 18 minutes to play normally don't give themselves a chance to win the game.

As for Connette, he was up and down today, which is better than last week, when he was only down. He showed, at times, comfort and confidence in the offense we were running, and executed more reliably leading to some pretty big plays (of note, that fake-bubble-one-way-bubble-the-other-way 73 yard TD to Crowder that was called back on a penalty; I think the awesomeness of that play blew the flags right out of the refs' pants). At other times, however, he looked unsure like he did last week and tried to force something. Unfortunately, this week his inaccuracy lead to four picks whereas last week it was primarily incompletions (or sacks). Oh well, tis the luck of the draw. If Connette keeps improving at this rate though, we should be ready for Navy in two weeks (we should roflstomp Troy next week).

As for the rain, that was fun! Props to the ~20 students that stayed the entire game with me. I know DBR's Native was one of them.
Sidenote on the rain: In the 4th when the rain came intermittently, we seemed to have much better fortune when it was raining than when it was not. So on that final Pitt drive when it momentarily cleared up, I was internally going, "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Something randomly sucky is gonna happen!" And then, the Pitt wideout made a great grab on the sidelines on 3rd down to end the game. Grrrr, stupid rain.

Congrats to you and the other 19 students who stayed. I was ready to leave/put a bag over my head at 7-27 and/or 38-51 but we stayed until 0:00. Our guys made a remarkable/tremendous effort. I especially liked the 85 guys (or more) in the huddle after the ill-fated/advised final onside kick.

devildeac
09-21-2013, 07:15 PM
This game reminds me of the Wake game in the rain several years ago at Wake Forest when we lost 48-54 and folks here blamed the offense for the loss. The key play was a bad snap on a punt that we turned into 7 points for them instead of falling on it near midfield and making them work for their TD. I'm trying to repress that memory/game so I'd bet I have a bit of a fuzzy recollection:o.

I felt much the same way today during and after the game. 4 INT that led to 17 points if I am remembering correctly today. Plus, a TD called back on not one but 2 penalties, one of which my son-in-law, after watching the replay, thought was a great block. The second (or first?) was an offensive holding. Plus, we had another nice KO return for 40-50 yards that was negated by another holding or block in the back flag. That had us start a drive in side our 10 instead of around midfield. The pick 6 occurred after a media TO AND our TO with about 20 seconds to go on the play clock. That hurt badly. I've already posted what I thought about the punter pass with 4th and short from our 35 that lost 5 yards and the second onside kick with about 3:43 to go.

We made a lot of huge plays, too. Defense pursued and covered well except when we left a guy wide open at about our 15 for a first down AND a guy wide open in the end zone for the TD that followed several plays later. They scored 21 in the second half but I thought that drive was our only bad series. We gave them a short field after our 4th and short and the 3rd (4th?) pick led to their other TDs. Their WR made a helluva catch on 3rd and long for the 1st down after our second failed onside kick.

JNort
09-21-2013, 07:21 PM
4 interceptions makes an offense look bad while 1000 total yards and nearly 60 points given up makes the defense look bad.

There is no silver lining to this loss. this is a bad loss to a bad team at home.

To brush this off as "well, we tried our best but it's all good" proves the cliche that Duke Fans aren't serious Football fans.

I'm sorry but as a fan of football in general pro and college I can not agree with that first line. Yes in a perfect world your defense would shut them out or make them go 3 and out on every possession. However this is not a perfect world or an upper echelon team or even a good defensive one so I would expect the defense to look even worse than normal when your offense gives 4 free possessions.

I know you are not referring to me on the second point sense I never said that or implied that but I think you are missing the point of others. No body is saying that what we saw out there today is good or even good enough. People are saying "look our defense has looked better so far this year and we shouldn't go all to pieces because of one atrocious game." If it happens again next week or multiple times this year then yes we should panic and reevaluate our recruiting, our coordinators, our schemes, our play calling and even placing new guys in the starting lineup.

Yes I am upset, but not at our defense alone. I'm upset at the product as a whole today even though we did make it a game and only lost by 3.

dukeofcalabash
09-21-2013, 07:22 PM
This game reminds me of the Wake game in the rain several years ago at Wake Forest when we lost 48-54 and folks here blamed the offense for the loss. The key play was a bad snap on a punt that we turned into 7 points for them instead of falling on it near midfield and making them work for their TD. I'm trying to repress that memory/game so I'd bet I have a bit of a fuzzy recollection:o.

I felt much the same way today during and after the game. 4 INT that led to 17 points if I am remembering correctly today. Plus, a TD called back on not one but 2 penalties, one of which my son-in-law, after watching the replay, thought was a great block. The second (or first?) was an offensive holding. Plus, we had another nice KO return for 40-50 yards that was negated by another holding or block in the back flag. That had us start a drive in side our 10 instead of around midfield. The pick 6 occurred after a media TO AND our TO with about 20 seconds to go on the play clock. That hurt badly. I've already posted what I thought about the punter pass with 4th and short from our 35 that lost 5 yards and the second onside kick with about 3:43 to go.

We made a lot of huge plays, too. Defense pursued and covered well except when we left a guy wide open at about our 15 for a first down AND a guy wide open in the end zone for the TD that followed several plays later. They scored 21 in the second half but I thought that drive was our only bad series. We gave them a short field after our 4th and short and the 3rd (4th?) pick led to their other TDs. Their WR made a helluva catch on 3rd and long for the 1st down after our second failed onside kick.

Duke's pass defender's got beat several times, but you've got to have a couple of DE's that can put the pressure on the QB. Duke has not had that pressure.

OZ
09-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Sigh..... :( Well, as one of the few students who stayed the entire game...

Actually, from where I was sitting, there didn't look to be more than twenty students there.... (excluding the band). I thought, considering the weather threat, that the crowd wasn't too bad. However, I was really surprised and disappointed at the low student turn out. That has to be somewhat demoralizing for your fellow students not to be there for you.

uh_no
09-21-2013, 07:47 PM

so the big stops down the stretch, the coming back from huge deficits twice? 5.9 yrds/carry? those aren't silver linings?

graybead
09-21-2013, 08:37 PM

Does anyone have a video of this pass interference NO CALL that they could post? I was at the game and I was livid! I heard some boos, but don't understand why everyone wasn't livid like I was. These coaches sure have more self control that I do, because I would have been thrown out of the game. Close calls don't both me much anymore, but calls (or no calls) like this drive me nuts. I think there need to be more fines or suspensions for officials who miss obvious calls.

Scorp4me
09-21-2013, 08:47 PM
What a game! Every time I thought we were out of it, we did something to come back. I wish some had posted more about Connette, looks like every time they posted something negative about Connette he came back to prove them wrong. Fact is no "one" thing lost this game.

Those saying that Connette cannot play against an ACC defense certainly got a show. 4 int's are bad for sure, but the kid put some impressive numbers. And the 2nd int was more a product of a great defensive play than any fault of his. Yes, the defense did not do well, perhaps it had to do with the sickness going around I don't know. But the fact is we got burned for big plays (oh the defensive secondary...a complaint of mine since I can remember), but then the qb had all the time in the world to throw because there was usually little pressure up front. So can't lay it all one section. How about the missed pass interference calls? They had to practically tackle the guy before we got a call. Or the Crowder touchdown that was called back for holding and then promptly followed up with the pick 6. And maybe we should have punted instead of faking or kicking it long instead of onside or how about we just stop them before the half. Just about any of those things goes our way and we win this game.

It was exciting I'll give you that and it was disappointing I'll give you that too. We should have won I think. I think Ga Tech had more to do with Connette's woes last week than Connette. This week all facets had their woes, but you don't have to look hard to find some positives too.

Oh to be a Duke football fan. Hate we let that one get away from us.

bbosbbos
09-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Many holdings and PI were not called. Very strange, nobody challenged the ref. Cut complained several times. That is it.

BlueDevilBrowns
09-21-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm sorry but as a fan of football in general pro and college I can not agree with that first line. Yes in a perfect world your defense would shut them out or make them go 3 and out on every possession. However this is not a perfect world or an upper echelon team or even a good defensive one so I would expect the defense to look even worse than normal when your offense gives 4 free possessions.

I know you are not referring to me on the second point sense I never said that or implied that but I think you are missing the point of others. No body is saying that what we saw out there today is good or even good enough. People are saying "look our defense has looked better so far this year and we shouldn't go all to pieces because of one atrocious game." If it happens again next week or multiple times this year then yes we should panic and reevaluate our recruiting, our coordinators, our schemes, our play calling and even placing new guys in the starting lineup.

Yes I am upset, but not at our defense alone. I'm upset at the product as a whole today even though we did make it a game and only lost by 3.

If this was just a one game "fluke" I'd be right there with everyone else as far as "don't freak out", but the facts are it's a trend. Our defense has looked poor for several SEASONS let alone just one game. Why? That's a question that shouldn't be downplayed.

so the big stops down the stretch, the coming back from huge deficits twice? 5.9 yrds/carry? those aren't silver linings?

Those could be silver linings if you look at this game as a single snapshot in time. I'm looking at it from a longer-term program perspective, as in "We should be past the Silver Lining Stage with Duke Football now".

Look at it this way, do you think NC State or GTech or even PITT would be looking at the glass half full after giving up 58 points on your home field to a less than stellar team? Probably not. I'm just saying our expectations should be higher at this point, at least mine are anyway. I believe Coach Cutcliffe is a solid coach and an amazing offensive mind, so I expect Duke to perform somewhat more consistent by year 6 of his tenure.

Let me make this clear - I am in no way "bashing" or "trash-talking" the effort the players put out their today. They played HARD, without a doubt. They could have easily folded and the players showed heart, so good for them. Having said that, I'm looking at Duke with a more critical eye this year than in the past, because I feel it's time we do so.

This was a Bowl team last year that very nearly won their Division, now it's time to sustain and build on that success.

throatybeard
09-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Oh to be a Duke football fan.

Well, of all the problems we've had in the last five decades, losing 58-55 has got to be a new one?

devildeac
09-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Duke's pass defender's got beat several times, but you've got to have a couple of DE's that can put the pressure on the QB. Duke has not had that pressure.

Agreed. I'm not how many sacks we had today but I know Anunike had a key one in the second half as we made our comeback. We put precious little pressure on the QB most of the first half and he had waaaay too much comfort time in the pocket.

Acymetric
09-21-2013, 11:11 PM
Well, of all the problems we've had in the last five decades, losing 58-55 has got to be a new one?

Think we set the record for most points scored in an ACC loss against Wake with a similar scoreline not long ago.

throatybeard
09-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Think we set the record for most points scored in an ACC loss against Wake with a similar scoreline not long ago.

I need to lie down.

Acymetric
09-21-2013, 11:33 PM
I need to lie down.

I kind of wonder if we didn't break our own record, but I don't have the heart to look.

-bdbd
09-21-2013, 11:44 PM
I kind of wonder if we didn't break our own record, but I don't have the heart to look.

I really thought that we were done late in the third. I give the guys a lot of credit for "Never Say Die" attitude. That was a great comeback. Very proud of the late effort. Didn't like the coaching decision on the fake punt around our own 30 (and it was poorly executed -- why throw to a guy 4 yards behind the line with a defender draped on him... I'd assume there was a secondary option, no?).

I was also astonished at the lack of protest over a really inconsistently reff'd game.

I know the weather was a big factor, but a 3/4-empty stdium didn't look good in a broadly televised game. (We had it on a local channel, 20, here in the DC area.)

Let's hoppe BC has finally found his confidence/groove....

throatybeard
09-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Define "broadly televised."

Like most Duke FB games, I could only get this pooch on a crappy watchespn.com feed. Which, I'm not complaining, so, like that's better than nothing.

killerleft
09-22-2013, 12:50 AM
I really thought that we were done late in the third. I give the guys a lot of credit for "Never Say Die" attitude. That was a great comeback. Very proud of the late effort. Didn't like the coaching decision on the fake punt around our own 30 (and it was poorly executed -- why throw to a guy 4 yards behind the line with a defender draped on him... I'd assume there was a secondary option, no?).

I was also astonished at the lack of protest over a really inconsistently reff'd game.

I know the weather was a big factor, but a 3/4-empty stdium didn't look good in a broadly televised game. (We had it on a local channel, 20, here in the DC area.)

Let's hoppe BC has finally found his confidence/groove....

You are incorrect about the lack of protest over the bad calls. The coaches and fans protested vigorously on several occasions. What did you want, a duel?

killerleft
09-22-2013, 01:10 AM
After such a weird game, it takes a while to process things. While we gave up 468 yds. in the first half, we only gave up 130 in the second. We had 530 total yards of offense ourselves. Brandon Connette's four interception tosses ultimately cost us the game, but his leadership and play otherwise was special. Jamison Crowder's 275 (very close, I forget the exact yardage) all-purpose yards was nothing short of amazing, what a talent!

Bob Green
09-22-2013, 06:19 AM
First things first, the team deserves a huge round of applause for a gutty performance. There is no quit in this team. I'll admit I walked out with 8 minutes to go after the Pick 6 which made it 58-41. I quit, the football team did not!

On to a recap of the Keys to the Game:

I'm going to keep my comments relatively short this week as I believe this game will be decided by a few factors:

1. Performance on 3rd down:
2. Pressuring the quarterback:
3. Balance and versatility on offense:

1. No. We held Pitt to 7-17 conversions, but we only achieved 5-11 on offense. We didn't execute on 3rd down on both sides of the ball.

2. A big no here. Pitt QB Tom Savage had time to sitback and wait for one (or two) of his talented receivers to become open. He picked our secondary apart, but the defensive line deserves at least 50% of the blame.

3. My assessment is a yes on this one. We ran for 213 yards and passed for 319. Four passing touchdowns, three rushing touchdowns and one touchdown on a punt return. However, Connette's four interceptions ultimately cost us the game.

So by my take, and I understand others will rightfully disagree or view the game from a different angle, we failed in two of three key areas, but managed to almost pull off a heroic comeback.

Jamison Crowder deserves a major shout out for his performance. He had 109 yards on punt returns including an 82 yard touchdown; 141 yards receiving including a 62 yard touchdown; 29 yards rushing including a seven yard touchdown; 279 all purpose yards and three touchdowns is a fantastic performance.

I'll be back in my seat in Wallace Wade next week rooting hard for a Blue Devil victory. That's all any of us can do.

devildeac
09-22-2013, 06:44 AM

I'll check in the N&O this AM but sadly, I think you are correct. We are Duke:rolleyes:.

devildeac
09-22-2013, 06:46 AM
You are incorrect about the lack of protest over the bad calls. The coaches and fans protested vigorously on several occasions. What did you want, a duel?

You should have watched the game with our group. We are a tough bunch. Several of us wanted an execution. (Kidding, folks, kidding.)

devildeac
09-22-2013, 06:48 AM
After such a weird game, it takes a while to process things. While we gave up 468 yds. in the first half, we only gave up 130 in the second. We had 530 total yards of offense ourselves. Brandon Connette's four interception tosses ultimately cost us the game, but his leadership and play otherwise was special. Jamison Crowder's 275 (very close, I forget the exact yardage) all-purpose yards was nothing short of amazing, what a talent!

Plus he had another 60-70 yards negated with two penalties on the same play. He is a dangerous player.

Bob Green
09-22-2013, 06:59 AM
I saw it on ESPN last night, 55 points in a loss is a school record.

DU82
09-22-2013, 08:15 AM

Credit to the coaching staff (yes, Kurt Roper) for coming up with ways to get him the ball since the traditional passing plays (precision passes in coverage) isn't a strength right now. On his rushing TD, he went in motion and ended up positioned as a running back, and our one "trick" play that worked was a double reverse to him. I thought the play calling was really good, mixing up things to give Connette a chance to play to his strengths. I thought the fake punt was a decent call with the misdirection. Yes, it telegraphed that it was a fake, but overloading the right side and then throwing back to the left was a good call. Credit to the Pitt players who stayed in his coverage. We need to try it against a team that's not as smart or disciplined (the Heels?)

With the two quick picks early that Connette threw into traffic, the coaches then went to some "safe" passes to give him a chance to get comfortable.

Regarding the running game, Snead played a lot, after being sick last week. Was Thompson sick? I don't recall seeing him in at all.

loran16
09-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Credit to the coaching staff (yes, Kurt Roper) for coming up with ways to get him the ball since the traditional passing plays (precision passes in coverage) isn't a strength right now. On his rushing TD, he went in motion and ended up positioned as a running back, and our one "trick" play that worked was a double reverse to him. I thought the play calling was really good, mixing up things to give Connette a chance to play to his strengths. I thought the fake punt was a decent call with the misdirection. Yes, it telegraphed that it was a fake, but overloading the right side and then throwing back to the left was a good call. Credit to the Pitt players who stayed in his coverage. We need to try it against a team that's not as smart or disciplined (the Heels?)

With the two quick picks early that Connette threw into traffic, the coaches then went to some "safe" passes to give him a chance to get comfortable.

Regarding the running game, Snead played a lot, after being sick last week. Was Thompson sick? I don't recall seeing him in at all.

Juwan was in a few times to block, but did not get a run. Meanwhile, Jela Duncan had one great drive....and then was never seen again. 5 carries. I do not get at all what the heck Cut is doing with the RBs, although Snead was pretty effective.

------------------------
Regarding the D, blaming the scores on the interceptions is bogus.

The D allowed 7.6 yards per play, and it would've been worse if not for Pitt lying down and deciding not to pass downfield in the 4th quarter until the final play - it was over 10 yards (a first down!) through 3 quarters. This is inexcusable.

The Run D on plays up the middle is improved. That's basically the only area where this D is improved from last year. And Pitt is NOT a great offense.

Something has to change, because this is year in and year out under Cut a problem. The offense under Cut is tremendously improved, but we will not get much farther with this kind of defensive play and there is absolutely no sign of any change.

We should still win 5 games this year in Troy, Navy (although their weaker triple option could still be a problem), and Wake. But those 3 aren't a given and with this D, well, winning any of the others is going to be incredibly hard.

EDIT:

Agreed. I'm not how many sacks we had today but I know Anunike had a key one in the second half as we made our comeback. We put precious little pressure on the QB most of the first half and he had waaaay too much comfort time in the pocket.

Yeah but that sack came on a play late in the game where Pitt was trying to burn clock, and I got the feeling that Pitt's QB was instructed to take the sack and keep the clock going rather than throw the ball away.

killerleft
09-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Juwan was in a few times to block, but did not get a run. Meanwhile, Jela Duncan had one great drive....and then was never seen again. 5 carries. I do not get at all what the heck Cut is doing with the RBs, although Snead was pretty effective.

------------------------
Regarding the D, blaming the scores on the interceptions is bogus.

The D allowed 7.6 yards per play, and it would've been worse if not for Pitt lying down and deciding not to pass downfield in the 4th quarter until the final play - it was over 10 yards (a first down!) through 3 quarters. This is inexcusable.

The Run D on plays up the middle is improved. That's basically the only area where this D is improved from last year. And Pitt is NOT a great offense.

Something has to change, because this is year in and year out under Cut a problem. The offense under Cut is tremendously improved, but we will not get much farther with this kind of defensive play and there is absolutely no sign of any change.

We should still win 5 games this year in Troy, Navy (although their weaker triple option could still be a problem), and Wake. But those 3 aren't a given and with this D, well, winning any of the others is going to be incredibly hard.

EDIT:

Yeah but that sack came on a play late in the game where Pitt was trying to burn clock, and I got the feeling that Pitt's QB was instructed to take the sack and keep the clock going rather than throw the ball away.

That bolded statement, is that some revisionist bunk used to bolster your argument, or did you have rain in your eyes? Anunike chopped down the quarterback with malice, and that quarterback was not begging for it. In no way was that quarterback even fantasizing about what a good play he was making by getting chopped down in a Paul Bunyan-esque manner. I would venture that if time had allowed it, that quarterback would have thrown the ball away before Kenny got real close to him. But time did not permit, and that quarterback was buzz-sawed. Buzz.

The Connette interceptions were instrumental, certainly, in the horrid defense we showed in the first half. We kept our defense on the field enough without the turnover help. But the second half was very different. The two interceptions were crucial for Pitt, they didn't much move the ball otherwise.

loran16
09-22-2013, 12:06 PM
[/B]

That bolded statement, is that some revisionist bunk used to bolster your argument, or did you have rain in your eyes? Anunike chopped down the quarterback with malice, and that quarterback was not begging for it. In no way was that quarterback even fantasizing about what a good play he was making by getting chopped down in a Paul Bunyan-esque manner. I would venture that if time had allowed it, that quarterback would have thrown the ball away before Kenny got real close to him. But time did not permit, and that quarterback was buzz-sawed. Buzz.

The Connette interceptions were instrumental, certainly, in the horrid defense we showed in the first half. We kept our defense on the field enough without the turnover help. But the second half was very different. The two interceptions were crucial for Pitt, they didn't much move the ball otherwise.

Neither? It was a good sack. I don't disagree about that at all. But the QB didn't move out of the pocket at all and given the moment, a sack to them was better off than an incompletion given that there was 4:34 left in the game at that point. I would be stunned if the QB would throw it away, even if he had decided to scramble. (The only reason Duke didn't suffer in field position was that the fumbled punt was the next play).

For the record, the second half is broken into two parts:
3Q: 132 yards on 20 plays. In other words, 6.6 yards per play - horrendous.
and the 4Q which was successful at D. It certainly looked to me that Pitt in the 4th Q though was milking a lead and just not taking any big risks.

But again, blaming the interceptions for the D's yard per play is stupid considering that there were no such INTs in the 3rd Quarter and they were still very successful.

The D is terrible. It has been for the entire Cutcliffe era. I don't understand what it will take for people to see that - another last place finish in D Yards allowed in the ACC?

jimsumner
09-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Duke had two sacks, one by Cockrell, one by Anunike. I do not believe either was in the Pitt game plan.

Duke lost to Wake 54-48 in 2010, the previous record for most points in a loss.

Not a record I especially wanted to challenge. I hope it stays where it is.

Then again, conventional wisdom is that fans in any sport want offense. So, Wade should be at capacity next week. :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-22-2013, 12:54 PM
I've noticed that there are times the casual fans and self-appointed coaching experts may indulge in scenarios and explanations which the players and coaches would never even think, let alone consider.;)

arnie
09-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Duke had two sacks, one by Cockrell, one by Anunike. I do not believe either was in the Pitt game plan.

Duke lost to Wake 54-48 in 2010, the previous record for most points in a loss.

Not a record I especially wanted to challenge. I hope it stays where it is.

Then again, conventional wisdom is that fans in any sport want offense. So, Wade should be at capacity next week. :)

Considering that Troy gave up 62 points to Miss State yesterday, offense next Saturday shouldn't be an issue. Doubt that produces a Wade sellout though.

Against average ACC teams, our D has to step up early. When we give up tons of yards in 1st half it puts us in catchup passing mode; our strength w/o Boone will be running the ball. Also stats are deceiving when we play late game catchup & other team plays conservative ball.

devildeac
09-22-2013, 02:42 PM
I saw it on ESPN last night, 55 points in a loss is a school record.

Not surprising. Probably an ACC record, too. We held the old record of 48 points, IIRC, from 2010 in our loss to WFU, until last year when the cheaters eclipsed it with a 68-50 beating at the hands of GT. Glad we could oblige and take over the "top" spot again. We are Duke. Setting new standards/records in the ACC:rolleyes::o!

devildeac
09-22-2013, 02:57 PM
We got the top billing in the sports section of the Raleigh N&O over the cheaters this AM:o. The actual print headline is:

DEFENSELESS

The on-line article is a bit more kind with its headline.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/09/21/3215394/pittsburgh-holds-off-duke-in-58.html

Scorp4me
09-23-2013, 04:23 PM
...Brandon Connette's four interception tosses ultimately cost us the game...

Really? Cause I can name quite a few other things that "ultimately" cost us the game. How about a holding penalty that called back a touchdown...and replaced it with an interception a few plays later. How about getting killed in the secondary with long passes play after play. Missed pass interference calls? I'm disappointed in the interceptions (although to his credit the second was just a great defensive play and I'll concede it's balanced out by the terrible pick six), but I don't think there was any one thing that ultimately cost us the game. Instead of whole lot of one things that ultimately cost us the game. The fact that any of a number of them go the other way and we win is kind of impressive...and depressing.

And yes I know there are a ton of things that could have gone the other way for Pitt as well (such as the missed punt, blocked fieldgoal, etc.)

killerleft
09-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Really? Cause I can name quite a few other things that "ultimately" cost us the game. How about a holding penalty that called back a touchdown...and replaced it with an interception a few plays later. How about getting killed in the secondary with long passes play after play. Missed pass interference calls? I'm disappointed in the interceptions (although to his credit the second was just a great defensive play and I'll concede it's balanced out by the terrible pick six), but I don't think there was any one thing that ultimately cost us the game. Instead of whole lot of one things that ultimately cost us the game. The fact that any of a number of them go the other way and we win is kind of impressive...and depressing.

And yes I know there are a ton of things that could have gone the other way for Pitt as well (such as the missed punt, blocked fieldgoal, etc.)

Ask Connette. But, of course, you make a fair point. We still had our chances, despite all of the negatives. Which is a positive I can take from this game. And Connette's own ability to play extremely well, which I noted before, absent the picks. That was impressive.

nyesq83
09-23-2013, 04:59 PM
How about the normally extraordinary Ross Cockrell? He himself stated he uncharacteristically allowed two scores - ordinarily, he would have batted away that corner TD, although it was a perfect pass and he could have been called for a penalty, almost.

Sandman
09-23-2013, 06:04 PM
I think one positive coming out of the Pitt game was what looked to me to be a noticeable improvement in Connette's confidence. He seemed much more comfortable as a passer, even though his reads were not the greatest. Hopefully, as he gets more experience as a starter he will significantly improve. If not, this could be a looong season.

Overall, we were very competitive against Pitt. We have had some tremendous battles against Pitt over the years. I recall talking to some of our players after the '59 Pitt game that Mike Ditka played against us, and they said Pitt physically beat the snot out of us (Pitt 13, Duke 0). Cut has improved the program so that now we are physically able to compete, which we weren't for several decades pre-Cut.

DU82
09-23-2013, 08:30 PM
How about the normally extraordinary Ross Cockrell? He himself stated he uncharacteristically allowed two scores - ordinarily, he would have batted away that corner TD, although it was a perfect pass and he could have been called for a penalty, almost.

I thought it was a push-off by the Pitt receiver on the corner TD, although I certainly could be remembering it through my Duke sunglasses http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Licensed-NCAA-Sunglasses-Blade/dp/B005OSI2DA/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1379982588&sr=1-1

dukeofcalabash
09-23-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm thinking that there are plenty of Duke players who felt like they "cost" Duke the game.

devildeac
09-23-2013, 10:28 PM
I thought it was a push-off by the Pitt receiver on the corner TD, although I certainly could be remembering it through my Duke sunglasses http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Licensed-NCAA-Sunglasses-Blade/dp/B005OSI2DA/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1379982588&sr=1-1

I must have had on similar glasses. I thought Ross received a nice forearm to his head a second or two before the catch:mad:.

El_Diablo
09-23-2013, 10:45 PM
When the Pitt receiver went out of bounds with 2:05 left, why didn't the game clock stop? It just kept running down until 1:38, when Pitt false-started on 1st and 10.

jv001
09-24-2013, 08:04 AM
I must have had on similar glasses. I thought Ross received a nice forearm to his head a second or two before the catch:mad:.

Yes, yes, yes. The receiver did push off on that play. But that play is hardly ever called any more and I don't know why. GoDuke!

nyesq83
09-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Yes, yes, yes. The receiver did push off on that play. But that play is hardly ever called any more and I don't know why. GoDuke!

Oh I agree, I didn't mention it because of that.

The receiver initiated contact with both hands, pushing Ross, or pushing himself, away. Right after that, Ross appeared to extend his arm and hand up to block the receiver's view, as well...then the ball arrived.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-24-2013, 11:32 AM
When the Pitt receiver went out of bounds with 2:05 left, why didn't the game clock stop? It just kept running down until 1:38, when Pitt false-started on 1st and 10.

That's a new rule last year (?) to speed up the game. The game clock only stops when you go out of bounds with less than 2 minutes on the clock at the end of the first half and the end of the game.

El_Diablo
09-24-2013, 10:45 PM
That's a new rule last year (?) to speed up the game. The game clock only stops when you go out of bounds with less than 2 minutes on the clock at the end of the first half and the end of the game.

Ah, thanks.

That was a clutch catch and great toe-tap. If only we had a couple more time-outs left...