PDA

View Full Version : Coach K crush

OldPhiKap
09-10-2013, 10:31 PM
This cannot be real:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/coach-k-duke-university-mike-krzyzewski-is-madly-in-love-with-beyonce-091013

JNort
09-11-2013, 01:07 AM
In case anyone is wondering its an article about a celebrity Coach K has always wanted to meet and his interaction with her to get a photo. Kinda funny and not who I would have thought

ricks68
09-11-2013, 03:01 AM
Well, I tried it and it has been taken down already. I guess maybe Mickie got it removed.;)

If it somehow reappears somewhere, please post where I can try it again. It sounds like a fantastic dialogue.

ricks

brevity
09-11-2013, 03:07 AM
Sorry, but I call foul. No one, especially Coach K, should say they are "madly in love" with Beyonce. You have to be crazy in love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViwtNLUqkMY).

The best part of the article is how he mentions that his wife and daughters aren't worrying too much about it.

Dev11
09-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Well, I tried it and it has been taken down already. I guess maybe Mickie got it removed.;)

If it somehow reappears somewhere, please post where I can try it again. It sounds like a fantastic dialogue.

ricks

CBS has it, with transcription:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23577711/video-coach-k-shares-his-beyonce-story-admits-im-madly-in-love

gumbomoop
09-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Likely to be unrequited. Probably for the best.

Mike Corey
09-11-2013, 09:54 AM
As ever, Coach has excellent taste.

Billy Dat
09-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Further evidence that the man is one-of-a-kind and showing no signs of slowing down.

"So it's LeBron, Jay, and K. It's on Twitter, Instagram, I don't know, was Vine going then? It's on all that crap. I mean in Hong Kong, Beijing, Moscow. My ****'s going all over the place. I am the coolest 65-year-old [inaudible]."

JasonEvans
09-11-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm sorry, but the best part about that video is the beginning when K says he met Jay-Z and he wanted to say, "Hi J, I'm K."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4XqaYWlLmk

-Jason "it is personable, honest, funny stories like this that make K such a great speaker. How can any recruit resist his charm?" Evans

Edouble
09-11-2013, 03:27 PM
This cannot be real:[/url]

Why? Beyonce is, pretty much, universally considered a sex symbol.

OldPhiKap
09-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Why? Beyonce is, pretty much, universally considered a sex symbol.

No, my incredulity had more to do with how the article devolves to this:

"The event's over, and this is where my street cred, like, was bouncing all over the world. . . . So it's LeBron, Jay, and K. It's on Twitter, Instagram, I don't know, was Vine going then? It's on all that crap. I mean in Hong Kong, Beijing, Moscow. My @#$#'s going all over the place."

Didn't sound like K's public speaking to me.

(Note, the article I originally linked did not have a video, or if it did I did not see it. Have not watched the one in the new linked article, yet)

roywhite
09-11-2013, 05:23 PM

"The event's over, and this is where my street cred, like, was bouncing all over the world. . . . So it's LeBron, Jay, and K. It's on Twitter, Instagram, I don't know, was Vine going then? It's on all that crap. I mean in Hong Kong, Beijing, Moscow. My @#$#'s going all over the place."

(Note, the article I originally linked did not have a video, or if it did I did not see it. Have not watched the one in the new linked article, yet)

I think this falls somewhere between K's public speaking, where he can be eloquent and refined, and his private or work speech (like in the huddle) where he can be eloquent, but blunt and profane. His language was colorful, but seemed to fit the occasion and was well received by his audience.

Dev11
09-11-2013, 05:30 PM

It's from his speech to the grad students during Campout. He's trying to relate to the students to encourage them to attend games. I suspect many college basketball coaches are savvy to pop culture because they spend a lot of their time with 18-22 year olds, and another chunk of time trying to convince 15-18 year olds that they are cool enough to play for.

Edouble
09-12-2013, 01:13 AM
It's from his speech to the grad students during Campout. He's trying to relate to the students to encourage them to attend games. I suspect many college basketball coaches are savvy to pop culture because they spend a lot of their time with 18-22 year olds, and another chunk of time trying to convince 15-18 year olds that they are cool enough to play for.

Yeah, I am reminded of the Q&As (I think it was called a "Team Meeting" [with the 6th man]) the nights the UNC home game, when Coach K speaks very off the cuff (e.g. on the Fab Five: "They didn't win sh*t").

When I was at Duke, he would preface his remarks by saying that while there were not supposed to be media in the building, if there were any in attendance, everything that he says is between him and his team, and is off the record.

I guess he didn't preface his remarks with that caveat on this occasion.

Bluedog
09-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I am reminded of the Q&As (I think it was called a "Team Meeting" [with the 6th man]) the nights the UNC home game, when Coach K speaks very off the cuff (e.g. on the Fab Five: "They didn't win sh*t").

When I was at Duke, he would preface his remarks by saying that while there were not supposed to be media in the building, if there were any in attendance, everything that he says is between him and his team, and is off the record.

I guess he didn't preface his remarks with that caveat on this occasion.

Or somebody ignored his request. It's typically a known fact that these are supposed to be for students only and not recorded. The initial person who posted to YouTube probably realized that too since it was taken down relatively quickly, but obviously copies had already been made by that point...Not that Coach K said anything that inappropriate - just that he would obviously speak a bit differently if it was for the media.

Billy Dat
09-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Or somebody ignored his request. It's typically a known fact that these are supposed to be for students only and not recorded. The initial person who posted to YouTube probably realized that too since it was taken down relatively quickly, but obviously copies had already been made by that point...Not that Coach K said anything that inappropriate - just that he would obviously speak a bit differently if it was for the media.

Considering that every smartphone is a self-contained broadcast device, the notion that any public speech is "off the record" is quaint. Besides, I really hope, at this point in his career, the line between public K and private K starts to disappear because private K, when he gives us glimpses like this, is a lot more fun, and probably more attractive to recruits who like to keep it trill.

uh_no
09-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Considering that every smartphone is a self-contained broadcast device, the notion that any public speech is "off the record" is quaint. Besides, I really hope, at this point in his career, the line between public K and private K starts to disappear because private K, when he gives us glimpses like this, is a lot more fun, and probably more attractive to recruits who like to keep it trill.

i would "off the record" is still an important aspect of journalism professionalism....if some actual media person (not a random student) were to report something known to be "off the record" i'd imagine they'd find their access to K and the program shut down pretty quickly. Boeheim made that very clear a few years ago in perhaps not the most appropriate way. I'd imagine there is a lot of trust among K and certain members of the media who have good access which the latter parties would work hard to not betray.

That said, if a coach gets screwed by assuming something "off the record" will never get reported, then that is their own naivete. Even though K says the meetings are off the record, he obviously doesn't say anything that would be in any way ruinous if it were reported ("oh yeah we pay our players!")

i'm not a member of the media, so i have no real idea, but i can only take a guess as to its functioning in today's media world

Billy Dat
09-12-2013, 11:23 AM
i would "off the record" is still an important aspect of journalism professionalism....if some actual media person (not a random student) were to report something known to be "off the record" i'd imagine they'd find their access to K and the program shut down pretty quickly. Boeheim made that very clear a few years ago in perhaps not the most appropriate way. I'd imagine there is a lot of trust among K and certain members of the media who have good access which the latter parties would work hard to not betray.

That said, if a coach gets screwed by assuming something "off the record" will never get reported, then that is their own naivete. Even though K says the meetings are off the record, he obviously doesn't say anything that would be in any way ruinous if it were reported ("oh yeah we pay our players!")

i'm not a member of the media, so i have no real idea, but i can only take a guess as to its functioning in today's media world

I agree that, in terms journalistic integrity, "off the record" is a hugely important concept. My point is that if you are Coach K speaking in public to a large smartphone wielding crowd, its likely going on social media within seconds, and its viral spread will be determined by the novelty of the content. In this case, it's interestingly reflexive because his talk about going viral prompted a subsequent round of him going viral. His recounting the Beyonce story got more coverage than the original Instagram photo. With every major sports site employing 3-4 college basketball bloggers, it is guaranteed that stories like this will get reported. I guarantee K knows it and, in telling that story in that forum, knew that it would probably get covered. I am not saying that he pre-planned it to that degree, but he's not naive. I hope that he keeps letting his hair down because the guy is smart and very funny in a clever and edgy way.

SupaDave
09-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Excuse me, I hate to interrupt this thread but Beyonce had the greatest video of all time!!

OldPhiKap
09-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Excuse me, I hate to interrupt this thread but Beyonce had the greatest video of all time!!

It can NOT be better than "Hey, Mickey!" by Toni Basil. Not humanly possible.

throatybeard
09-13-2013, 03:23 AM

Ima let K finish.

slower
09-13-2013, 08:31 AM
It can NOT be better than "Hey, Mickey!" by Toni Basil. Not humanly possible.

You're probably joking. But yes, there are many, many videos that are better than anything by Beyonce. It's all a matter of personal preference.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2013, 08:44 AM
You're probably joking. But yes, there are many, many videos that are better than anything by Beyonce. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Probably.

slower
09-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Probably.

Well, Toni Basil has a small, yet VERY devoted, fan base. :)

OldPhiKap
09-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Well, Toni Basil has a small, yet VERY devoted, fan base. :)

True.

Her video, though, pales in comparison to Men Without Hats' "Safety Dance." Pure production value genius right there.

I must admit that I am not too familiar with Beyonce's body of artistic work, but I was impressed by her halftime show at the Superbowl. WAY better than the Black Eyed Peas, which was awful.

Edouble
09-13-2013, 08:33 PM
True.

Her video, though, pales in comparison to Men Without Hats' "Safety Dance." Pure production value genius right there.

I must admit that I am not too familiar with Beyonce's body of artistic work, but I was impressed by her halftime show at the Superbowl. WAY better than the Black Eyed Peas, which was awful.

ZZTop and Peter Gabriel still have the best non-cheerleader videos.