PDA

View Full Version : Miami preview

Olympic Fan
09-10-2013, 04:32 PM
There's one major flaw in Jim's Miami preview on the front page today.

Kansas State transfer Angel Rodriguez is almost certainly NOT going to be eligible this year. The Miami staff is working and planning on him being eligible next season, along with Texas transfer Sheldon McClellan.

It looks like 5-9 Belgium import Manu Lecomte will be the starting point guard.

You can see by this link to the Miami website that Rodriguez will sit out this season:

http://www.hurricanesports.com/pdf9/2411485.pdf?SPSID=658437&SPID=103777&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=28700

Jim Gober
09-11-2013, 10:05 AM
When I wrote my 16 ACC previews several months ago, I did some guessing about which players will be eligible, healthy, etc. in October. My news about recruits surely will be dated by the time it appears on DBR, and some other information will need to be corrected or updated. So, my preview of Miami is based upon a guess about Rodriguez and my thought that a player who wants to be closer to his family for some good reason has at least as much of a case for immediate eligibility as a player like Dez Wells.

When I wrote about Miami, the word was:

Angel Rodriguez, a transfer point guard from Kansas State, has applied for a waiver to play immediately in 2013-14. Should he be granted this waiver, he will be a Junior in 2013-14, and a Senior in 2014-15. If he is not granted this waiver, he will redshirt the '13-'14 season, and be a Junior beginning in the '14-'15 campaign.

You may be correct that the Rodriguez waiver request has been denied officially by the NCAA, but I have not seen any confirmation unless the Miami website is that confirmation.

Edouble
09-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Miam is such a great team because there's no "i" in Miam.

OK, wait, maybe just one "i"...

Olympic Fan
09-11-2013, 04:03 PM
When I wrote my 16 ACC previews several months ago, I did some guessing about which players will be eligible, healthy, etc. in October. My news about recruits surely will be dated by the time it appears on DBR, and some other information will need to be corrected or updated. So, my preview of Miami is based upon a guess about Rodriguez and my thought that a player who wants to be closer to his family for some good reason has at least as much of a case for immediate eligibility as a player like Dez Wells.

When I wrote about Miami, the word was:

Angel Rodriguez, a transfer point guard from Kansas State, has applied for a waiver to play immediately in 2013-14. Should he be granted this waiver, he will be a Junior in 2013-14, and a Senior in 2014-15. If he is not granted this waiver, he will redshirt the '13-'14 season, and be a Junior beginning in the '14-'15 campaign.

You may be correct that the Rodriguez waiver request has been denied officially by the NCAA, but I have not seen any confirmation unless the Miami website is that confirmation.

The argument that "Rodriguez wanted to be closer to his family" is an example of how slippery (and inconsistent) the NCAA transfer waivers have been i9n recent years. Miami IS closer to his family -- but Rodriquez's family is still more than 1,000 miles away from Miami in Puerto Rico. I know he has some distant relatives in the Miami area, but is moving to be close to an uncle or a cousin or to cut your plane trip home down from six hours to three hours a reasonable basis for a transfer?

The Miami web site I linked to lists Rodriguez (along with McClellan) as ineligible this season. I've heard Coach Larranaga say that Rodriguez won't play this season.

That's the best information at the moment.

Stats
10-01-2013, 08:30 PM
There's one major flaw in Jim's Miami preview on the front page today.

Kansas State transfer Angel Rodriguez is almost certainly NOT going to be eligible this year. The Miami staff is working and planning on him being eligible next season, along with Texas transfer Sheldon McClellan.

It looks like 5-9 Belgium import Manu Lecomte will be the starting point guard.

You can see by this link to the Miami website that Rodriguez will sit out this season:

http://www.hurricanesports.com/pdf9/2411485.pdf?SPSID=658437&SPID=103777&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=28700

This announcement on Sept. 28 before Miami's first practice confirms Olympic Fan's correction.

It remains to be seen who will replace Shane Larkin as starting point guard for the University of Miami men’s basketball team this season, but one player who won’t be running the floor — at least not until next season — is Angel Rodriguez, a Kansas State transfer who played at Miami Krop High.
Coach Jim Larrañaga said Friday before the Hurricanes’ first official practice that the school will not appeal to the NCAA for a waiver to expedite Rodriguez’s eligibility because Rodriguez is recovering from tendinitis in his knees, and the player said he would rather sit out this season, learn the new system and come back 100 percent for his final two years of eligibility.
Larrañaga said that UM team doctors examined Rodriguez upon his arrival and “shut him down the entire summer” because the tendinitis was that severe.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/28/3655618/canes-will-not-seek-waiver-for.html#storylink=cpy