PDA

View Full Version : FB: Georgia Tech 38, Duke 14

JBDuke
09-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Please use this thread for discussions related to Duke's upcoming game vs. Georgia Tech.

OldPhiKap
09-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Please use this thread for discussions related to Duke's upcoming game vs. Georgia Tech.

I thought Memphis's offensive set with the slot guy looping back before the snap may have given us some practice for the GT option. Hope so, at least.

We need our crowd to be strong and loud.

Wish we had Anthony, but gotta go with what we have. Which is still pretty good.

Tough game, but we can do this.

PDDuke85
09-08-2013, 12:32 PM
If ever the Duke offense needed a balanced attack with long, time consuming drives, this is the game. The best defense against the Tech offense is keeping them on the bench.

TruBlu
09-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Will not be able to attend this game, as the females in my family decided to pick this weekend to have a family get together (in Atlanta, no less).:(

Everyone at Wade will need to pick up the rowdiness to compensate for my son and I not being there.

Henderson
09-08-2013, 03:00 PM
A program doesn't progress beating NCCU and Memphis and losing to every big. Big test for the boys in [dark] blue next weekend. GT didn't play this week, after pounding The Elon Institution for Anorexic Girls 70-0 the previous week. We'll be hosting a well-rested and confident GT squad.

Bob Green
09-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Linebacker play will be critical to stopping Tech's option running attack. The linebackers must pursue the ball and make sure tackles. Kelby Brown and David Helton have looked good the first two games, and Kyler Brown appears more physical this year, at least to my untrained eye. Hopefully, C.J. France will be back and ready to go on Saturday as we need All Hands On Deck to stop the Yellow Jackets. The defensive line cannot allow themselves to be pushed backwards.

This will be a Litmus Test for the defense. It is time to knock that smug look right off Paul Johnson's face!

CameronBornAndBred
09-08-2013, 04:16 PM
This is a game I think we can win, and in fact I have it as a predicted win in my season outcome. (Shades of Ozzie's Optimism). I was worried when Boone went down, and Connette cleared any doubt away that I had. Our D is the best we have seen in a while, even though we are playing against a different scheme than we (or most any other team) is used to going against. Memphis gave the option a try a few times, with little success. We will be ready, and for the first time in a long time I think our D is prepared to execute. Having your game plan and being able to execute your game plan are two different things; I foresee us executing and really giving GT fits all day.
It should be fun. I don't have any doubts that Georgia Tech will score, but I think we'll be able to do it more than them. My prediction....
Duke 27 - GT 20

Bob Green
09-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Duke opens as a 10 point underdog with the over/under set at 55:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

I'm liking Duke and the under.

Edouble
09-08-2013, 06:03 PM
A program doesn't progress beating NCCU and Memphis and losing to every big. Big test for the boys in [dark] blue next weekend. GT didn't play this week, after pounding The Elon Institution for Anorexic Girls 70-0 the previous week. We'll be hosting a well-rested and confident GT squad.

Jokes involving anorexia are not appreciated. It's a serious and seriously misunderstood disease.

loran16
09-08-2013, 08:58 PM
This is a game I think we can win, and in fact I have it as a predicted win in my season outcome. (Shades of Ozzie's Optimism). I was worried when Boone went down, and Connette cleared any doubt away that I had. Our D is the best we have seen in a while, even though we are playing against a different scheme than we (or most any other team) is used to going against. Memphis gave the option a try a few times, with little success. We will be ready, and for the first time in a long time I think our D is prepared to execute. Having your game plan and being able to execute your game plan are two different things; I foresee us executing and really giving GT fits all day.
It should be fun. I don't have any doubts that Georgia Tech will score, but I think we'll be able to do it more than them. My prediction....
Duke 27 - GT 20

GT's scoring against us in the Cut-Johnson eras (started coaching at their respective schools the same years):

That 27 was a 27-0 smackdown in 08-09 by the way. I'm skeptical the run D will handle the D better than ever, and certainly not 22 points better than last year. We can win, but I'd bet the over.

Bob Green
09-10-2013, 05:04 AM
Here is a random thought early in the morning, prior to me starting my daily trek to the salt mines. Once the game previews start popping up at various internet sites, we will probably start reading about how Brandon Connette will be making his first career start in place of injured Anthony Boone. Well, technically, that is not true. Connette started the Miami game his freshman season:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205013284

Miami fumbled the opening kick-off with Duke recovering on the seven yard line so Coach Cutcliffe went with the "Connette Package" to start the game. We settled for a field goal. Of course, Renfree played the majority of the game, and threw five interceptions, in a 13-28 loss. Connette was 4-6 for 30 yards.

So, this weekend against Georgia Tech, Brandon Connette will be starting his second game as the Duke quarterback.

PSurprise
09-10-2013, 08:52 AM
I think it'll be important for our offense to click well against GT. It seems that in recent years against good/better teams that our defense has played well for 3 quarters or so, but ran out of gas late in the game. If the offense can stay on the field for a few sustained drives, hopefully rest our D a bit, we've got a much better chance at stopping GTech. Hopefully our offense will be our best defense.

budwom
09-10-2013, 09:54 AM
I guess we'll see if our defense really is improved (as it shows signs of being).

In years past we'd hold Tech fairly well at times, then they'd throw a 60 yard pass to a guy who had
no defender near him. The Calvin Johnson (?) year was the worst...something like eight completed passes,
all to Johnson, for around 200 yards (yeah, he is pretty good, but still...)

Hopefully we play well and don't incur more injuries.

roywhite
09-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Playing against a Paul Johnson team strikes me as:

Coach Cut vs Cut Blocking

Be nice to win this one (and avoid injuries).

TruBlu
09-10-2013, 01:44 PM
I guess we'll see if our defense really is improved (as it shows signs of being).

In years past we'd hold Tech fairly well at times, then they'd throw a 60 yard pass to a guy who had
no defender near him. The Calvin Johnson (?) year was the worst...something like eight completed passes,
all to Johnson, for around 200 yards (yeah, he is pretty good, but still...)

Hopefully we play well and don't incur more injuries.

Thanks for this reminder of one of the more frustrating Duke games I witnessed. :mad: Even when the speedy 7' 10 " Calvin Johnson (with a 61" vertical) was covered, it was by one of our 4' 8" defenders (wearing shoes made out of concrete). Then our offensive scheme for overcoming a growing deficit in the second half was to run the ball up the middle three times for 1 yard gains so that we could use our best offensive weapon (punter).

On a positive side, I discovered five really good bars between Grant Field and my house in the 'burbs on the way home.

**The above is only slightly exaggerated for emphasis.

dukeofcalabash
09-10-2013, 07:28 PM
All I'll say is that Duke is due for the bounces to go it's way in a game where they are the decided underdog. This game could be it.

matt1
09-10-2013, 07:35 PM
I am surprised that ESPN's ACC bloggers did not include this game on Upset Watch, especially in a week without compelling options.

CameronBornAndBred
09-10-2013, 11:11 PM
I am surprised that ESPN's ACC bloggers did not include this game on Upset Watch, especially in a week without compelling options.

I noticed that, and I liked it. When they do put us on the watch, not much happens the way we would like to see. (However, HD has now replaced WF in her bowl predictions with the Blue Devils, so I am appeased.)

matt1
09-10-2013, 11:39 PM
I noticed that, and I liked it. When they do put us on the watch, not much happens the way we would like to see. (However, HD has now replaced WF in her bowl predictions with the Blue Devils, so I am appeased.)

I noticed that too. I think that we are better than Troy, Navy, Wake, UVa, Pitt, and State. Even without pulling this (or any other) upset, it would get us to 8 wins and easily to a bowl. We even have 2 "freebies", but I want to have the winning season wrapped up before the bowl game.

A win on Saturday would mean a lot. I know it was against Elon, but GT possesses the most lopsided victory of the season. If we beat them, I would consider the possibility that we could win the ACC Coastal, although I would still call Miami the favorite. Ultimately, I think we lose but make it a game.

Olympic Fan
09-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Just for fun, I rated Duke's 12 football opponents, strongest to weakest. I know it's just MHO, but this is the way I see it.

1. Georgia Tech
2. Miami (I know some would argue that Miami should be No. 1 -- they did beat GT in overtime last season. But it was early in the year when GT's defense was a mess and I think GT has a better core back. And I think Vad Lee is the best QB Paul Johnson has ever had).
3. Virginia Tech -- the great VPI defense is back, but the offense is terrible. Logan Thomas has to be the most overrated player in the ACC.
4. Navy
5. North Carolina
6. Pitt
7. N.C. State (if Brandon Mitchell is back at QB when we play them, move them up a spot)
8. Virginia
9. Wake Forest
10. Troy
11. Memphis
12. NCCU

We've beaten the two weakest teams on our schedule and we're about to face what I think is the best team on our schedule this weekend. Luckily, we don't play the two best teams in the ACC -- Clemson and FSU.

gep
09-11-2013, 12:36 AM
We've beaten the two weakest teams on our schedule and we're about to face what I think is the best team on our schedule this weekend. Luckily, we don't play the two best teams in the ACC -- Clemson and FSU.

Well... not until the ACC Championship game... if Clemson or FSU make it that far... :cool:

Bob Green
09-11-2013, 05:10 AM
Jim Young at the ACC Sports Journal has Duke ranked #8 in his latest ACC Power Rankings:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/acc-football-power-rankings-sept-10

Future opponents N.C State (9), Virginia (10), Pittsburgh (12) and Wake Forest (14) are all beneath the Blue Devils.

CameronBornAndBred
09-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Just for fun, I rated Duke's 12 football opponents, strongest to weakest. I know it's just MHO, but this is the way I see it.

1. Georgia Tech
2. Miami (I know some would argue that Miami should be No. 1 -- they did beat GT in overtime last season. But it was early in the year when GT's defense was a mess and I think GT has a better core back. And I think Vad Lee is the best QB Paul Johnson has ever had).
3. Virginia Tech -- the great VPI defense is back, but the offense is terrible. Logan Thomas has to be the most overrated player in the ACC.
4. Navy
5. North Carolina
6. Pitt
7. N.C. State (if Brandon Mitchell is back at QB when we play them, move them up a spot)
8. Virginia
9. Wake Forest
10. Troy
11. Memphis
12. NCCU

Here's how I would put mine...
1. Miami
2. Georgia Tech
3. Virginia Tech
4. North Carolina
5. Virginia
6. Navy
7. Pitt
8. NCSU
9. Memphis
10. Wake Forest
11. Troy
12. NCCU

I think Wake is going to have a bad year, they have looked terrible. UVA has surprised me. NCSU seems average. Memphis was not the same team we saw last year, I consider our win to be a pretty solid one, especially given our mid game QB situation. I could swap VT and GT, but since we have had far more trouble with GT than VT, the Wreck gets the nod. I still think we can beat GT. Miami is way out of our league this year.

Bob Green
09-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Saturday's Georgia Tech game will be a big test for the defense. We are going to know a lot more about how much progress the team has made once this one is in the books.

1. The defense must contain the Georgia Tech running game. I said "contain" not stop. In passing situations, young quarterback Vad Lee must feel the pressure.

2. Finishing defensive sets by executing on 3rd and 4th down is a must. GT was 13 of 20 on 3rd down and 4 or 4 on 4th down last year. It was a 28-24 game at the end of the 3rd quarter, but our defense was wore out which resulted in GT winning the 4th quarter 14-0 for a 42-24 final.

3. We must take care of the ball - no extra opportunities for the GT offense. It sure would help if our defense and/or special teams could force a couple of turnovers giving Brandon Connette and company extra opportunities.

4. Execute on offense with multi-play, points producing drives. Our best defense could be our offense. The goal is to keep GT's defense on the field for huge chunks of time, while our defense rests.

This one is going to be won in the trenches. Duke's experienced offensive and defensive line players must out perform their GT counterparts. Who wants it more?

Dev11
09-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Make Vad Lee rue the day he picked Paul Johnson over David Cutcliffe. Sean Renfree knew better.

chrishoke
09-13-2013, 04:38 PM
This is an effort game - who wants it more. I sure wish we were going to have a sell out crowd. Our team is going to need that kind of support. How many really good teams do you see get beat in a half empty stadium?

SupaDave
09-13-2013, 06:10 PM
I went to the last Duke/Tech game at Duke and Duke was competitive in the first quarter. Let's see how much the team has progressed. If the team makes it into the second half even only down by 7 - that would be ridiculous improvement. Tech is vulnerable this year. Lots of young talent.

We all know Tech is gonna run it. The key to the game will be - can Duke stop it?

ChrisP
09-13-2013, 06:38 PM
After reading the front page article about Ted Roof's return, I'm a bit more concerned about this game than I was previously. Ted can coach him some "D"! Before, I was worried about our ability to slow/stop Tech's offense, but now I'm worried about our ability to put up points. I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow, but there are few times I'd rather beat than a Paul Johnson-coached one!

Edouble
09-13-2013, 08:27 PM
After reading the front page article about Ted Roof's return, I'm a bit more concerned about this game than I was previously. Ted can coach him some "D"! Before, I was worried about our ability to slow/stop Tech's offense, but now I'm worried about our ability to put up points. I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow, but there are few times I'd rather beat than a Paul Johnson-coached one!

If we lose this game, it will not be because of Ted Roof.

uh_no
09-14-2013, 12:21 AM
This is an effort game - who wants it more. I sure wish we were going to have a sell out crowd. Our team is going to need that kind of support. How many really good teams do you see get beat in a half empty stadium?

we can want it an awful lot and still not beat what amounts to a talented GT team....especially since we're tossing out our backup quarterback, who, in reality, is nowhere near the passing threat boone is.

Edouble
09-14-2013, 01:31 AM
we can want it an awful lot and still not beat what amounts to a talented GT team....especially since we're tossing out our backup quarterback, who, in reality, is nowhere near the passing threat boone is.

I'm hoping he's the slightly off-his-rocker, but talented bad*ss who never got a fair shot, like the backup always is in the movies.

DukeSean
09-14-2013, 10:08 AM

He may be the backup QB, but that doesn't mean he can't throw the ball. Boone def has the stronger arm, but the more accurate one? or the better decision making? That's up for debate. Once Connette settled down last week, he looked pretty good to me.

killerleft
09-14-2013, 10:18 AM
If we can run, Connette's day gets easier by the minute. Here's to ramblin' and wreckin' the best-laid plans of Paul Johnson!

Go Duke! And get to Wally Wade if you can.

DukeSean
09-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Does anyone have a link to watch the game? My cable package apparently doesn't include ESPNU...

jimsumner
09-14-2013, 12:41 PM
I think this one will be won in the trenches. I want Duke's OL to dominate and enable Duke to do to GT what GT does to everyone else; e.g. long, time-consuming, soul-sucking touchdown drives. We've heard lots and lots about Duke's offensive line, big and deep and experienced. On paper.

And they have indeed looked pretty good so far. But this is a step up in class. A big opportunity.

OldPhiKap
09-14-2013, 01:56 PM
I think this one will be won in the trenches. I want Duke's OL to dominate and enable Duke to do to GT what GT does to everyone else; e.g. long, time-consuming, soul-sucking touchdown drives. We've heard lots and lots about Duke's offensive line, big and deep and experienced. On paper.

And they have indeed looked pretty good so far. But this is a step up in class. A big opportunity.

Indeed.

We need to make our drives productive -- no turnovers, and if we have to punt get good field position and hold it. A bonus would be getting ahead and forcing GT to have to pass, although they are supposedly better at that this year than the typical option team of past years.

Go Duke, Squash the Bees, Go to Hell Carolina!!!!!!!

Indoor66
09-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Indeed.

We need to make our drives productive -- no turnovers, and if we have to punt get good field position and hold it. A bonus would be getting ahead and forcing GT to have to pass, although they are supposedly better at that this year than the typical option team of past years.

Go Duke, Squash the Bees, Go to Hell Carolina!!!!!!!

The last clause of this post is ALWAYS called for.

riverside6
09-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Live stats and play analysis for Duke/GT....

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=3007

gep
09-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Why did Spencer Rogers punt? Anything up with Will Monday?:confused:

Mabdul Doobakus
09-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Was it a different punter? It was a terrible punt that led to 3 points for Georgia Tech.

Operating at Chip Kelly warp speed on this 2nd drive, and we've been surprisingly effective (surprising to me, anyway). First and goal. Punch it in.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-14-2013, 03:48 PM
We punched it in.

Very impressive drive.

4Gen
09-14-2013, 03:49 PM
I'd rather eat a turd than tackle Jela Duncan.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-14-2013, 03:53 PM
I'd rather eat a turd than tackle Jela Duncan.

I'm torn on this one. Maybe a turd sandwich.

4Gen
09-14-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm torn on this one. Maybe a turd sandwich.

I might have a chance with one of those options.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Duke stopped on a 4th and 1 just around the Georgia Tech 20. Don't really disagree with the decision. A play action fake may have yielded a TD there...everyone was expecting another power run.

DukeSean
09-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Duke stopped on a 4th and 1 just around the Georgia Tech 20. Don't really disagree with the decision. A play action fake may have yielded a TD there...everyone was expecting another power run.

I don't think we needed to go for it so soon in the game, esp when in very manageable FG range. Would've preferred the FGA myself

Duvall
09-14-2013, 04:34 PM
I don't think we needed to go for it so soon in the game, esp when in very manageable FG range. Would've preferred the FGA myself

No, Duke needed the points. They won't stop GT enough for FGs to matter.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-14-2013, 04:34 PM

My thinking is just that Georgia Tech is likely to put up a lot of points, and we're only gonna keep pace by scoring TDs. It was less than a yard. If it were even 4th and 2 I'd say kick the FG. But I certainly understand why some might want the FG in that spot.

DukeSean
09-14-2013, 04:46 PM
No, Duke needed the points. They won't stop GT enough for FGs to matter.

That might indeed be the case that our D cannot stop them, but that early in the game, I'd rather give them a chance with the game tied than put the pressure back on them.

NYBri
09-14-2013, 04:55 PM
...on the board before the half.

moonpie23
09-14-2013, 04:58 PM
tech rolling.....

another td.... :(

Mabdul Doobakus
09-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Poor half of football.

Silver lining: I can probably stop flipping between this game and the Alabama game.

Duvall
09-14-2013, 05:10 PM
It's almost like it's hard to beat a ranked* team with your third-string quarterback.

* GT isn't ranked now, but after they dispose of UNC and VT they will be.

devildeac
09-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Pretty inept 2Q. Radio saying Cut and our OC (name omitted intentionally:rolleyes:) need to figure out what Roof did 2Q to adjust.

devildeac
09-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Plus 4 huge penalties have killed us: holding on a nice drive (I think), block in back on fine KO return and 2 PF giving GT gift yardage without wrapping paper and/or a ribbon/bow:mad:.

GoDuke2004
09-14-2013, 05:49 PM
This is looking more like pre-Cutcliffe era football. Lots of penalties and inadequate defense.

ChrisP
09-14-2013, 07:10 PM
If we lose this game, it will not be because of Ted Roof.

Really? 254 of Total offense and a pathetic 21% conversion rate on 3rd down indicates pretty good defense to me. Of course, I'm aware that we were without our starting QB and yes, our D didn't seem to difficult to shred, but man, Tech STUFFED our offense for most of the day. Roof has proven himself an excellent defensive coordinator. I think I was right to be worried with regard to having to face his D today.

arnie
09-14-2013, 07:34 PM
This is looking more like pre-Cutcliffe era football. Lots of penalties and inadequate defense.

There's a reason we were picked last in the Coastal again-simply not enough talent. Cut has brought us up to where we can beat lower level Acc teams (see WF) and an increasingly weak OOC schedule. Just don't see us winning against the top 2/3 of the conference-UNC last year being the one exception. It's OK, bball coming soon.

sagegrouse
09-14-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm lazy, so I thought I'd focus on the positives of our thrashing at the hands of the Yellow Jackets.

- Jela Duncan is a heckuva runner, and Cut kept him largely under wraps the first two weeks.

- Kelby Brown can play some linebacker, and it is good to have a playmaker in the box.

- While our defense was challenged, giving up tons of yardage and beaucoup points, there were some good stands, and a better and more consistent offense would have helped a lot. GT makes a lot of defenses look bad.

- With some better decision-making, Connette will improve substantially.

- Russ Cockrell is.... well... Russ Cockrell. Enuf said.

- Issac Blakeney was wonderfully effective in the first Q. GT changed its defense to better control him after that.

This was gonna be a difficult game, even with Boone at QB. A win and good showing against Pitt next week is a must.

sagegrouse

Richard Berg
09-14-2013, 08:51 PM
4th & 1 on your own 40, 1:45 left in the first half, game not (yet) completely out of hand, though your dog-tired defensive unit has looked like swiss cheese all quarter. All of the announcers (and apparently Cut too) say it's "obvious" you have to punt. Can someone explain the logic? I think the EVs are close, at bare minimum, and you don't need to assume especially favorable probabilities to make going for it the clear winner.

Duvall
09-14-2013, 08:53 PM
4th & 1 on your own 40, 1:45 left in the first half, game not (yet) completely out of hand, though your dog-tired defensive unit has looked like swiss cheese all quarter. All of the announcers (and apparently Cut too) say it's "obvious" you have to punt. Can someone explain the logic? I think the EVs are close, at bare minimum, and you don't need to assume especially favorable probabilities to make going for it the clear winner.

I didn't see much from the Duke offense today to suggest that the probabilities were favorable.

chrishoke
09-14-2013, 09:22 PM
I didn't see much from the Duke offense today to suggest that the probabilities were favorable.

Nor did I.

Listen to Quants
09-14-2013, 09:38 PM

With a poor Duke offense, the probability of making it 4th and 1 are perhaps low. Nonetheless, that is the offense ya got, if it is totally dysfunctional and you are behind ... you lose regardless. I've seen the numbers before but admit I didn't retain them, only that the expected values are strongly in favor of going for it anywhere near midfield with a 1-3 yard 'to-go.'

Richard Berg
09-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Let's be very pessimistic: say 10% chance we drive into FG range, 30% chance we get the 1st but are forced to run out the clock, 60% chance we turn over on downs. Versus a 100% chance we give them the ball about 70yd out. Under these assumptions, punting makes sense if 0.1*3 - 0.6*EV(GT from 40) < -EV(GT from 70).

For an NFL-level offense with no time constraints, those EV are about 2.5 points and 1 point respectively, making the decision a toss-up. (Note: the absolute values don't matter nearly as much as the spread, since the positive EV we've given to Duke's offense is negligible.) For a run-oriented college offense with under 2 minutes, the spread should widen a bit; but Duke D was giving up like 8 yards per play in the previous few series, and GT still had timeouts, so I think assigning a 1.5pt spread to the 30yd difference in field position is still pretty close to the mark, albeit with higher absolute values.

Bottom line: as poorly as things were going, this feels like a worst-case analysis, and the numbers are still very close. Add in the remote chance of a Duke TD, or merely raise our 1st down probability from 40% into the 50-60% range, and it's a no brainer.

uh_no
09-14-2013, 09:57 PM
He may be the backup QB, but that doesn't mean he can't throw the ball. Boone def has the stronger arm, but the more accurate one? or the better decision making? That's up for debate. Once Connette settled down last week, he looked pretty good to me.

The biggest thing that turned us from moving the ball on a more consistent basis was third-down production, And a lot of that was just me being inaccurate on third down and missing guys that were open.

Love that the guy goes out there in a tough situation and tries to win us the ballgame, but I feel at least somewhat vindicated. He's simply not a passing threat. He doesn't have the accuracy of Boone, doesn't have as good awareness of where his receivers are, and isn't as good about knowing when he needs to get rid of the ball. GT went single coverage all day and we were unable to exploit it. This allowed GT to stuff the box, stop the run, and keep our defense on the field.

Do we win this game with boone? probably not...but we at least keep the defense honest and keep our own defense off the field for longer stretches...and we looked good for the first strech of the game....but you can't allow the other team 40 minutes of possession and expect your D to hold them with any success.

Fortunately our schedule lightens with pitt and troy for two weeks, and hopefully connette, who isn't BAD, he just isn't boone, can have a performance similar to Memphis, and our O line (which I think played a pretty good game) can enable us to run it down their throats. Then we can only hope we get Boone back before the meat of the ACC season.

Acymetric
09-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Love that the guy goes out there in a tough situation and tries to win us the ballgame, but I feel at least somewhat vindicated. He's simply not a passing threat. He doesn't have the accuracy of Boone, doesn't have as good awareness of where his receivers are, and isn't as good about knowing when he needs to get rid of the ball. GT went single coverage all day and we were unable to exploit it. This allowed GT to stuff the box, stop the run, and keep our defense on the field.

Do we win this game with boone? probably not...but we at least keep the defense honest and keep our own defense off the field for longer stretches...and we looked good for the first strech of the game....but you can't allow the other team 40 minutes of possession and expect your D to hold them with any success.

Fortunately our schedule lightens with pitt and troy for two weeks, and hopefully connette, who isn't BAD, he just isn't boone, can have a performance similar to Memphis, and our O line (which I think played a pretty good game) can enable us to run it down their throats. Then we can only hope we get Boone back before the meat of the ACC season.

Pitt is probably worse than GT but I'm still not sure I like our chances...lets see how Memphis fares the rest of the season and we can revisit all the praise people were trying to heap on our team after a "tough" win against a "good" team. We still have a real opportunity to go bowling with our schedule but after today's performance I am no longer excited about the season...reality check.

Bob Green
09-15-2013, 06:51 AM
We still have a real opportunity to go bowling with our schedule but after today's performance I am no longer excited about the season...reality check.

It is too early for the fan base to give up on the excitement. It is just one game so I opt to give credit to Georgia Tech and chalk this one up as a learning experience. We have a stretch of winnable games coming up: Pittsburgh, Troy, Navy, Virginia, Virginia Tech, N.C. State. Next week is an important game against newcomer Pitt who I don't know a lot about - learning more is this week's project.

Let's keep the faith Blue Devil fans!

Faison1
09-15-2013, 07:54 AM
It is too early for the fan base to give up on the excitement. It is just one game so I opt to give credit to Georgia Tech and chalk this one up as a learning experience. We have a stretch of winnable games coming up: Pittsburgh, Troy, Navy, Virginia, Virginia Tech, N.C. State. Next week is an important game against newcomer Pitt who I don't know a lot about - learning more is this week's project.

I wasn't at the game, and I haven't really seen enough to make any kind of judgment....so I ask the following question:

Are we in trouble at the quarterback position?

arnie
09-15-2013, 08:24 AM

We drew 21k fans on a beautiful day with low humidity. Neither UNC or NC State played yesterday. Coupled with 2-0 start and bowl appearance, a perfect storm for a capacity crowd. Is tv killing it or just limited interest until we start fast in conference play?

Bob Green
09-15-2013, 08:46 AM

I believe it is premature to say we are in trouble; however, Connette must be more accurate in future games. He threw a lot of passes either low or behind receivers yesterday.

DukeSean
09-15-2013, 11:21 AM

I have to say, Connette proved you right yesterday, unfortunately. I was hoping for a better performance from him, but too often he held onto the ball way too long. It's almost as if he forgot that he's got some legs when the coverage was tight.

killerleft
09-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Given the way the game unfolded, I can't much fault the coaches' playcalling yesterday. But, when we scored our second touchdown, it seemed obvious to me that we should go for two points to get the deficit down to 16. It turned out to be inconsequential (though the psychological boost might have been useful at the time).

Oh, and let's schedule some practice time to improve the onside-kick execution a tiny bit.:o

grossbus
09-15-2013, 12:05 PM
given Cut's reputation for developing QB's, why are we so thinly talented at this position now, especially from a passing perspective? i admit i don't follow FB recruiting, but don't we need someone who can spin it, at least a little.

sagegrouse
09-15-2013, 12:13 PM
given Cut's reputation for developing QB's, why are we so thinly talented at this position now, especially from a passing perspective? we need someone who can spin it, at least a little.

The loss of the top two QBs would hurt any program. In addition to the loss of Boone, redshirt freshman Thomas Sirk ruptured his achilles tendon in spring practice.

I am not giving up on Brandon Connette, but had Sirk and Boone been available, Brandon would have been the QB only in certain situations.

I expect reps will lead to an improvement in Connette. Otherwise, look for Parker Boehme, a true freshman.

sagegrouse

devildeac
09-15-2013, 02:05 PM
I believe it is premature to say we are in trouble; however, Connette must be more accurate in future games. He threw a lot of passes either low or behind receivers yesterday.

Bob is correct and Connette fell on the sword for it, too, based on his quotes.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/09/14/3195288/georgia-tech-beats-duke-38-14.html

"A lot of that was just me being inaccurate on third downs, missing guys that were open or throwing a little bit behind or a little bit low," quarterback Brandon Connette said. "I’ve got to be more accurate and more consistent on third downs in order to keep our offense on the field longer."

Cut tries to salve the wounds:

"It was just one of those really tough days. I felt for him." head coach David Cutcliffe said of Connette. "I wanted to help him somehow, someway."

devildeac
09-15-2013, 02:09 PM
The loss of the top two QBs would hurt any program. In addition to the loss of Boone, redshirt freshman Thomas Sirk ruptured his achilles tendon in spring practice.

I am not giving up on Brandon Connette, but had Sirk and Boone been available, Brandon would have been the QB only in certain situations.

I expect reps will lead to an improvement in Connette. Otherwise, look for Parker Boehme, a true freshman.

sagegrouse

Buried in the N&O today, Cut discussed that option and (paraphrasing) said that with a limited number of series, he decided to hold him out yesterday and, with another week or two of practice at #2 on the depth chart, he would get a lot of reps and might see action soon.

dukeofcalabash
09-15-2013, 06:37 PM
I wasn't at the game, and I haven't really seen enough to make any kind of judgment....so I ask the following question:

JMO, but anytime you lose the starting quarterback, and especially at the beginning of the year, it's trouble. Connette has a lack of experience and that usually relates to losses. Winning 3 of the next 6 games would be an accomplishment unless there is a huge surprise in the offense to make up for the loss of Boone's abilities and leadership.

6th Man
09-15-2013, 09:19 PM
One of these seasons we are going to stop having crucial injuries and Duke football is going to take off. When I watched Connette against NCCU throw 2 picks in a row...I thought the only thing that could hurt this team is if Boone goes down with Sirk already out. UGH!!! I was impressed with Connette in the 4th quarter against Memphis so I was hoping that maybe he could sling the ball OK. The Georgia Tech game was concerning as he waited too long at times and was inaccurate with others. It also hurts us with the deep threat of one of the more dynamic playmakers we have had in a LOOONG time with Jamison Crowder. Vernon was a stud, but Crowder has a great ability to make plays that you usually see on national TV on Sat. night. We completely lose the deep threat and Georgia Tech just teed off on the run and the short dump passed that Connette apparently must only be able to throw.

Having said all that as a long time Duke football watcher/sufferer, Duke as a football program is so far ahead of where it was when Cut arrived that it is not even funny. Our schedule was favorable this year so I really hate the injuries to Boone and Sirk. Very unfortunate, but still headed in the right direction. Definitely not time to throw in the towel on the program. Football is very important to athletic departments so we should all be pulling hard for Duke to succeed. Obviously Duke basketball is a unique and special brand, but Duke athletics will greatly benefit from a ramped up football program.

jv001
09-15-2013, 10:08 PM
It might be that the Pitt game is the biggest Connette and Duke will face this year. We need this win badly and our backup QB needs to pass the ball better in order for our running game to work. Our running backs are the best we've had as a group in a very long time. It would be terrible if we wasted the opportunity to run the ball because the defense stacked the line to stop the run. The best way to keep them from doing this is to complete some big passes. I hope Connette has a great game and we beat Pitt soundly. GoDuke!