PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 28, Memphis 14

Reilly
09-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Duke's favored by 6 right now. Was thinking it might've been more.

Season opener (and home opener obviously) for Memphis.

subzero02
09-02-2013, 03:42 PM
I just took Duke... Thanks for the heads up. I agree, I was expecting Duke to be a 9 or 10 point favorite

mkline09
09-02-2013, 09:58 PM
I have been told by a Memphis fan that this team is different. He also expects there to be some 44,000 in the stands. I'll honestly be shocked if that happens given how bad Memphis has been. Perhaps the team is better and this could be a competitive game, much more so than NCCU, but not expecting a huge fan turnout. Still a lot of question marks for this Duke team. The Memphis game will tell us more I think.

Bob Green
09-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Memphis Head Coach Justin Fuente discusses the upcoming game against Duke:

http://www.gotigersgo.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090213aad.html

On what he expects from Duke offensively
"I expect them to get the ball to No. 3 (junior wide receiver Jamison Crowder). He is a special playmaker for them. I feel like watching them, that Crowder is their electric play-making kid. Their quarterback (junior Anthony Boone) is a dynamic playmaker. He will carry the ball a little bit, and make some plays with his feet and his arm. A lot of that for them starts up front. They are experienced up front, and they are pretty darn good."

A lot more thoughts available in the article.

loran16
09-03-2013, 01:24 PM
I have been told by a Memphis fan that this team is different. He also expects there to be some 44,000 in the stands. I'll honestly be shocked if that happens given how bad Memphis has been. Perhaps the team is better and this could be a competitive game, much more so than NCCU, but not expecting a huge fan turnout. Still a lot of question marks for this Duke team. The Memphis game will tell us more I think.

I'm not sure they'll sell out, but I'd be unsurprised if they had a lot of fans there at first: Even duke's Roof teams had plenty of fans show up for game 1 - attendance AFTERWARDS was the problem.

That said, I'm not buying Memphis as a solid team this year - They're starting a RS Frosh at QB apparently, so expect the kid to be more than a little raw, and the team again was terrible last year and was the only offense Duke managed to hold under 250 yards - hell, Duke held em to just over 150 yards! Even Central did better last year.

Memphis did win their last 3 games last year, and was significantly better at home (3-3) than on the road (1-5). Course those last 3 wins were against awful teams (team records: 0-12, 3-9, 2-10).

In short, I think 6 points is a fair line for this game considering it's on the road (meaning the oddsmakers think us 9 points better). That'd make Memphis substantially better than last year, but we still did crush them last year. Memphis is obviously a step up from Central, but they're not a huge step up (that'll be GTech) and we SHOULD beat them, but I wouldn't assume anything.

subzero02
09-03-2013, 11:27 PM
That said, I'm not buying Memphis as a solid team this year - They're starting a RS Frosh at QB apparently, so expect the kid to be more than a little raw, and the team again was terrible last year and was the only offense Duke managed to hold under 250 yards - hell, Duke held em to just over 150 yards! Even Central did better last year.

Memphis did win their last 3 games last year, and was significantly better at home (3-3) than on the road (1-5). Course those last 3 wins were against awful teams (team records: 0-12, 3-9, 2-10).

In short, I think 6 points is a fair line for this game considering it's on the road (meaning the oddsmakers think us 9 points better).

I hope you're right about this redshirt freshman QB being raw because I saw one on Monday night that played like a cross of Michael Jordan, Paul Bunyan and Zeus.

OldPhiKap
09-03-2013, 11:45 PM
I hope you're right about this redshirt freshman QB being raw because I saw one on Monday night that played like a cross of Michael Jordan, Paul Bunyan and Zeus.

According to Cut, he beat out the returning guy and the only ape we have is from HS. I am with you, I assume the kid can play and possibly beat us until proven otherwise.

loran16
09-04-2013, 12:19 AM

Winston was the #2 ranked QB and a 5 star recruit :-P Not quite the same as a 2 star recruit lol.

But I'm not suggesting Duke will take it easy because of him. But this is likely to be a poor football team we're facing again.

Dukehky
09-04-2013, 09:53 PM
This game is important for Duke's bowl hopes this year. Also, it's important for Duke to win the games they're supposed to win when thinking about program building. I certainly hope that it's not even close, but we'll just see I guess. I hope the kids aren't looking forward to the tough ACC opener they have on the 14th against Tech. I just want Duke to stay healthy and work out things they need to improve on to be competitive in the division this year. The schedule certainly provides an opportunity for Duke to do very well this year; however, it's also potential for us to do poorly record-wise in the ACC, so it's important to win these non-conference games since Duke set them all up to be winnable this year unlike the Stanford game we played the past few years.

matt1
09-04-2013, 10:57 PM
What if Sports only gives us a 61% chance of winning, with a projected score of 27-23. I am much more confident than that, but Memphis must be an improvement from last year's team.

http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=2013CFB_Week2Picks

Reilly
09-05-2013, 07:40 AM
... the only ape we have is from HS. ....

Not true. We have upperclassmen defensive linemen, too.

wilson
09-05-2013, 09:31 AM
...the only ape we have is from HS.3579

alteran
09-05-2013, 09:58 AM
...the only ape we have is from HS.

What, did something happen to Ozzie?

Bob Green
09-06-2013, 03:49 PM
When Duke takes the field against Memphis, in Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium, on Saturday afternoon, there are six things I will be looking to see besides the obvious one which is Duke having more points than Memphis when the clock hits all zeroes. Here are the six in no particular order as they are all equally important:

1. Duke has publicly stated the team is committed to running the football in 2013 so I look for the Blue Devils to establish the running game. We ran for 177 yards against the Tigers in 2012 and ran for 257 yards against NCCU last week. Can we run for 200+ yards against Memphis in 2013? Obviously, a strong performance from the offensive line will be required.

2. Coach Cutcliffe has commented on numerous occasions that it is all about getting the ball into the hands of play makers so I look for Duke to maximize Jamison Crowder's touches. Against NCCU, Crowder recorded six receptions and returned five punts for 11 total touches. I expect he will touch the ball at least 10 times against Memphis. Crowder's total touches will be impacted by how many times Memphis is forced to punt the ball.

3. The defense has been maligned by fans and in the press after last season's disaster, but they were solid against NCCU in fact they were better than solid they were exceptional. I'll be looking for another solid defensive performance especially from the front six. Duke's defense must win, or at a minimum, break even, on the line of scrimmage. Football games are won in the trenches so Memphis' offensive line cannot be allowed to dictate up front.

4. Linebacker play is so important I'm giving it double exposure in this list by including the linebackers in item three and giving them their own item here in number four. The team's leading tacklers last week were linebackers Kelby Brown (7) and David Helton (7), while Kyler Brown had three including a quarterback sack and Deion Williams contributed two tackles. Those numbers represent solid play from the linebacking corps so I will be looking to see the linebackers impact the game again this week.

5. Anthony Boone was solid in the season opener completing 16 of 20 passes for 176 yards, but the part of his performance that stands out is not the statistics it is how smooth and poised he looked running the offense. With the exception of one poorly thrown pass, Brandon Connette also turned in a solid performance in the season opener. Connette was five of eight for 55 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. Additionally, the two quarterbacks combined to rush the ball 11 times for 46 yards. Therefore, I'll be looking for solid quarterback play in Week 2.

6. Special teams play is my final item as special teams frequently are the difference between winning or losing a close ball game. Memphis returned a kick 95 yards to set-up one of their two touchdowns in last year's game. Duke is solid with punter Will Monday and placekicker Ross Martin although Martin did miss a short field goal attempt and hook a kick-off out of bounds last week. The aforementioned Jamison Crowder is a dynamic punt returner, while the jury is still out on the kick return game as Duke did not return a kick in the season opener (side effect of a shutout). Solid special teams performance needs to take place week in and week out so I'll be looking for it in Week 2.

So what will other DBR posters be watching for tomorrow afternoon? I'm interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts. There is so much going on during the course of a football game it is impossible to keep up with it all. Let's talk some football!

OldPhiKap
09-06-2013, 04:25 PM
When Duke takes the field against Memphis, in Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium, on Saturday afternoon, there are six things I will be looking to see besides the obvious one which is Duke having more points than Memphis when the clock hits all zeroes. Here are the six in no particular order as they are all equally important:

1. Duke has publicly stated the team is committed to running the football in 2013 so I look for the Blue Devils to establish the running game. We ran for 177 yards against the Tigers in 2012 and ran for 257 yards against NCCU last week. Can we run for 200+ yards against Memphis in 2013? Obviously, a strong performance from the offensive line will be required.

2. Coach Cutcliffe has commented on numerous occasions that it is all about getting the ball into the hands of play makers so I look for Duke to maximize Jamison Crowder's touches. Against NCCU, Crowder recorded six receptions and returned five punts for 11 total touches. I expect he will touch the ball at least 10 times against Memphis. Crowder's total touches will be impacted by how many times Memphis is forced to punt the ball.

3. The defense has been maligned by fans and in the press after last season's disaster, but they were solid against NCCU in fact they were better than solid they were exceptional. I'll be looking for another solid defensive performance especially from the front six. Duke's defense must win, or at a minimum, break even, on the line of scrimmage. Football games are won in the trenches so Memphis' offensive line cannot be allowed to dictate up front.

4. Linebacker play is so important I'm giving it double exposure in this list by including the linebackers in item three and giving them their own item here in number four. The team's leading tacklers last week were linebackers Kelby Brown (7) and David Helton (7), while Kyler Brown had three including a quarterback sack and Deion Williams contributed two tackles. Those numbers represent solid play from the linebacking corps so I will be looking to see the linebackers impact the game again this week.

5. Anthony Boone was solid in the season opener completing 16 of 20 passes for 176 yards, but the part of his performance that stands out is not the statistics it is how smooth and poised he looked running the offense. With the exception of one poorly thrown pass, Brandon Connette also turned in a solid performance in the season opener. Connette was five of eight for 55 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. Additionally, the two quarterbacks combined to rush the ball 11 times for 46 yards. Therefore, I'll be looking for solid quarterback play in Week 2.

6. Special teams play is my final item as special teams frequently are the difference between winning or losing a close ball game. Memphis returned a kick 95 yards to set-up one of their two touchdowns in last year's game. Duke is solid with punter Will Monday and placekicker Ross Martin although Martin did miss a short field goal attempt and hook a kick-off out of bounds last week. The aforementioned Jamison Crowder is a dynamic punt returner, while the jury is still out on the kick return game as Duke did not return a kick in the season opener (side effect of a shutout). Solid special teams performance needs to take place week in and week out so I'll be looking for it in Week 2.

So what will other DBR posters be watching for tomorrow afternoon? I'm interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts. There is so much going on during the course of a football game it is impossible to keep up with it all. Let's talk some football!

Excellent break-down.

From my simple perspective, we should be able to put up points against most teams and I agree that it helps to have a balanced attack. The questions for me are (1) can we consistently stop teams from converting on 3rd and long and all 4th downs; and (2) do we have fewer turnovers than the other team. I think those two factors, more than anything, make the difference in how we do this year.

subzero02
09-06-2013, 06:45 PM
What if Sports only gives us a 61% chance of winning, with a projected score of 27-23. I am much more confident than that, but Memphis must be an improvement from last year's team.

http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=2013CFB_Week2Picks

Many books now have us a 4 point favorite...

killerleft
09-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Of major concern to me is the pressure we put on the Memphis quarterback. Last week wasn't too bad, but we really need to give our defensive backfield a chance to make some big plays. Hurried quarterbacks are going to make mistakes. Now's the time to develop some very good habits!

Go Duke!

OZZIE4DUKE
09-06-2013, 07:45 PM
What, did something happen to Ozzie?
Huh? What? I'm here and eagerly anticipating tomorrow's game! I'm expecting a solid win for us tomorrow! :cool:

moonpie23
09-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Reporter: "hey Coach, what do you think will determine the outcome of the game today?"

Coach Bum Phillips: "oh, probably the score"

Newton_14
09-06-2013, 10:19 PM

Great post Bob. In simpler terms, here are my 4 keys for this weekend, and every game this year.
1. Establish the run and run the ball effectively all game
2. Stop the run
3. Win the Turnover battle
4. Win the Special Teams battle

We need to run for over 200 yards and not let Memphis run effectively. We have to turn them over and not turn it over ourselves. Need to be really good in the kicking game, making our FG's, punting well, and cover punts and kickoffs well. Don't allow big plays on returns.

Crowder needs to be electric on punt returns. He does not need big holes, just small windows. If the guys hold their blocks effectively, Jamison will take advantage of the least little space he sees. Just a special talent.

Offensively, I am confident we can and will move the ball effectively on the ground and through the air. One of these days Isaac Blakeney is going to have a coming out party at receiver. Tomorrow is just fine by me.

Bob Green
09-07-2013, 08:08 AM
It's Game Day, my favorite day of the week! Laura Keeley has a preview up where she predicts a 38-21 Duke victory:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/game-preview-duke-at-memphis

The strength of the Tigers’ offense, though, is their power-run game, which is frequently executed with two-back sets.

Our defensive front six need to set the pace today.

ArnieMc
09-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Reporter: "hey Coach, what do you think will determine the outcome of the game today?"

Coach Bum Phillips: "oh, probably the score"George Welsh (UVA): "If our defense can hold them, and our offense can put points on the board, we have a chance."

CameronBornAndBred
09-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Anyone having issues getting goduke feed to play?

OldPhiKap
09-07-2013, 04:12 PM
I stream on ESPN, but kickoff is 4:30 so it is not on yet.

riverside6
09-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Live stats and play analysis for Duke/Memphis...

http://www.scacchoops.com/FB_ViewHDGame.asp?hGame=2941

mattman91
09-07-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm a fan of Mr. Boone!

matt1
09-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Good defensive stand. When was the last time we were unscored upon this late in a season?

PDDuke85
09-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Good stand but their big QB is a load and quick

ChrisP
09-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Terrible throw. Promising drive undone by a penalty :(

arnie
09-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Terrible throw. Promising drive undone by a penalty :(

Think we are physically superior, just self destructed on a couple plays. Should be ok.

ChrisP
09-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Agreed that we are the better team but...dumb penalties and turnovers will doom us. Hopefully, just jitters from first road game.

jjasper0729
09-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Boone going to the locker room with 2 minutes to go in the half (without pads). Favoring his right shoulder.

ChrisP
09-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Boone looks done for the day. Ugh. This looks like a game we should win but...odds are getting longer.

arnie
09-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Boone going to the locker room with 2 minutes to go in the half (without pads). Favoring his right shoulder.

Yea if he doesn't come back we could be toast. Running game not that strong yet and doubt Connette can drive full field. Defense has looked great though.

mattman91
09-07-2013, 05:47 PM
I sure home Anthony is ok...who got the ball in the 1st half?

matt1
09-07-2013, 05:49 PM
I sure home Anthony is ok...who got the ball in the 1st half?

Our ball to start the second half.

mattman91
09-07-2013, 05:51 PM
I have faith in Connette, but to win this game we need to get our running backs some big plays. We have the depth at RB to be able to grind it out in this weather. The D has looked great, if they can keep it up and we are successful in the ground game, we should be ok.

Bob Green
09-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Our ball to start the second half.

Memphis gets the ball to start the 2nd half.

jafarr1
09-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Memphis gets the ball to start the 2nd half.

Given the everything-that-can-go-wrong nature of this game so far, I'd believe it if there were a one-time rule change to give the home team the ball to start both halves.

However, Memphis got the ball first in the first half. Duke forced a three-and-out and scored on their next possession.

Highlander
09-07-2013, 05:57 PM
I have faith in Connette, but to win this game we need to get our running backs some big plays. We have the depth at RB to be able to grind it out in this weather. The D has looked great, if they can keep it up and we are successful in the ground game, we should be ok.

Duke outplaying Memphis so far, but one underthrow and poor field position has meant it is tied at halftime. Connette looks serviceable so far as a backup, but I would sure feel better if Boone could come back in. Connette has not looked good on passing third downs.

Bob Green
09-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Given the everything-that-can-go-wrong nature of this game so far, I'd believe it if there were a one-time rule change to give the home team the ball to start both halves.

However, Memphis got the ball first in the first half. Duke forced a three-and-out and scored on their next possession.

My short term memory fails me again. :cool:

DukeSean
09-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Boone out for rest of game

davekay1971
09-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Very strong defensive stand followed by a strong drive for Duke. Good way to start the second half. The guys just need to keep it calm and stop putting themselves in bad positions!

Indoor66
09-07-2013, 06:24 PM
On that last series I almost thought I saw Steve Jones running the ball again!

ChrisP
09-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Great drive by Duke! Connette looked good on that one. Let's hope our D can continue to dominate

DukeSean
09-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Defense has been leading this game the entire time. Good drive by Connette and something we needed badly to get us back into the right mentality.

ChrisP
09-07-2013, 06:34 PM
I missed the beginning of 2nd half - what was our 3rd TO?

DukeSean
09-07-2013, 06:44 PM
I missed the beginning of 2nd half - what was our 3rd TO?

Catch and fumble. looked really close, like knee touched and fumble at the same time, but call on the field was fumble, review result was play on the field stands

ChrisP
09-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks. Bummer about all these to's today

DukeSean
09-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks. Bummer about all these to's today

without those TOs we honestly should be up 3 scores IMO

ChrisP
09-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Nice fumble recovery!

ChrisP
09-07-2013, 06:49 PM
without those TOs we honestly should be up 3 scores IMO

Totally agree!

ChrisP
09-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Losing Boone is certainly a blow but..we really have not helped ourselves with all these dumb penalties & turnovers. Great punt though!

ChrisP
09-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Not impressed with Blakeney at wr..

ChrisP
09-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Umm...nevermind :)

DukeSean
09-07-2013, 07:12 PM
I love how they thought it was a good idea to throw to Cockrell's end twice in that drive. Yup. That's our NFL guy.

PDDuke85
09-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Wow! Thank you replay official.

El_Diablo
09-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Boone out for rest of game

It looks like he has his right arm in a sling on the sideline.

matt1
09-07-2013, 07:36 PM
A win is a win, and our defense looked great, but I worry about Anthony Boone's health for our game against Georgia Tech next week.

It will sure be nice to watch on an actual TV, though!

davekay1971
09-07-2013, 07:39 PM
A sure sign of the growing strength of our program that we can go on the road, lose our starting QB for the second half, have our offense play nowhere close to our best game, and still come out with a 2 touchdown win (beating the Vegas line by about 8 points). Connette stepped up, and our defense stepped up HUGE today. Congrats to Duke for a very solid non-conference road win!

NYBri
09-07-2013, 07:40 PM
It looks like he has his right arm in a sling on the sideline.

not a good sign.

OZ
09-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Yea if he doesn't come back we could be toast. Running game not that strong yet and doubt Connette can drive full field. Defense has looked great though.

Is there anything better than "toast" with a little crow sprinkled on top :)
Connette may not be the most efficient passer in the world, but there are none tougher. I'll go to battle with him any time.

NYBri
09-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Connette may not be the most efficient passer in the world, but there are none tougher. I'll go to battle with him any time.

Agreed, but Boone gives us a big play option.

Bob Green
09-07-2013, 07:45 PM
The Game Ball goes to the defense! What a huge effort all afternoon.

DukeSean
09-07-2013, 07:49 PM
The Game Ball goes to the defense! What a huge effort all afternoon.

Amen to that! 8 quarters, 1 TD allowed. They are playing very well, and Cockrell came up huge when it mattered

killerleft
09-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Whew! That finally turned into a good win. I thought Connette did well, but hopefully Anthony's injury is not serious. Any more injuries? I don't recall any. Please, Devils, no turnovers next week.

ESPN3 worked well for me for a change, but I got awfully tired of hearing both announcers leaving the second 'c' out of David Cutcliffe's name.

TKG
09-07-2013, 07:54 PM
That is the way to play four quarters worth of football boys. Way to finish!!!

sagegrouse
09-07-2013, 08:06 PM
A great win under considerable adversity ... loss of starting QB, heat in the mid 90's, sun side of the field, road game. Great way to finish, guys! Very strong on offense in the fourth quarter.

Anyone (else) have grim forebodings when Memphis went 70 yards in three plays to tie the game 14-14?

sagegrouse

arnie
09-07-2013, 08:08 PM

Missed the 2nd half. But will accept the crow on my toast!

dpslaw
09-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Cut just said Boone's injury is a broken collarbone.

loran16
09-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Great Job by Connette to come in and lead Duke to victory - certainly surprised me with how effective he was. He'll be better if Boone's out for a while (my sad suspicion) due to having more time to prep with the starters. So I won't complain about him in this post.

The Good:
1. Run D: For the most part, the Run D was amazing all game, limiting Memphis to under 3 yards per carry. Memphis also ran a bunch of option plays on a few drives in the second half, and the team for the most part (see below) snuffed them out. Well done.

2. Connette for obvious reasons.

3. The run game's persistence late in pounding through the tired Memphis D. They were a bit weak at first, but really manned up for over 170 yards overall.

The Bad:
1. Turnovers ugh. The interception was bad but fine it happens, but the two fumbles were inexcusable. HOLD ON TO THE BALL GUYS is your firstmost priority - remember the Belk bowl? I appreciate fighting for extra yards, but unless it's to get a first down, just GO DOWN.

2. Penalties: A few players made a bunch of dumb penalties. Two false starts hurt, as did an illegal block and offensive PI which both derailed drives. Can't do that against a better opponent. This will get better hopefully as the team gets more practice.

3. Handling Option like run plays: At one point, Memphis started to look like a drunken version of the triple option, with QB keepers and pitches coming regularly. We had massive issues with QB keepers all game, and GT will run those a lot. Need to work on that for next week.

Overall: Despite the way too close score, this was a good road win considering our starting QB played only 1Q. Next Play.

Class of '94
09-07-2013, 08:20 PM

Does anyone have an idea of what the timeframe is for a player to recover from a broken collarbone? Are we basically looking at him being out for most if not all of the regular season?

PDDuke85
09-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Does anyone have an idea of what the timeframe is for a player to recover from a broken collarbone? Are we basically looking at him being out for most if not all of the regular season?

4-6 weeks I'm thinking

DukeSean
09-07-2013, 08:53 PM
4-6 weeks I'm thinking

It really depends on the severity. Reading it could be 4 weeks, but up to 4 months too

53n206
09-07-2013, 08:54 PM
May be a little less if non-displaced and can be pinned. Probably depends on soft tissue damage present.

Orthopod?

dukeofcalabash
09-07-2013, 08:57 PM
It really depends on the severity. Reading it could be 4 weeks, but up to 4 months too

Which collarbone is it? Right or left?

gep
09-07-2013, 08:59 PM
If 4+ months... can he still get a medical redshirt?

TKG
09-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Boone = redshirt?

DukeSean
09-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Which collarbone is it? Right or left?

If i recall correctly, when he was headed to locker room in the 1st half without pads he was favoring the right side.

gls6
09-07-2013, 09:09 PM

Oh that's terrible news. Hopefully he can be back by the UVA game.

6th Man
09-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Oh that's terrible news. Hopefully he can be back by the UVA game.

I hate to hear the news about Boone. I really hope Connette gained confidence with his passing in the 4th quarter. His accuracy has been very suspect, but he came through when it mattered today. Duke football can't seem to catch a break. Sirk and now Boone. I should know, but who steps in if Connette goes down?

gep
09-07-2013, 09:21 PM
If i recall correctly, when he was headed to locker room in the 1st half without pads he was favoring the right side.

His right arm was in a sling in the 2nd half... does that mean the right-side collarbone? (I don't know :confused:)

sagegrouse
09-07-2013, 09:41 PM

4-6 weeks I'm thinking

May be a little less if non-displaced and can be pinned. Probably depends on soft tissue damage present.

Orthopod?

Billy is an orthopedic surgeon and our Board expert.

sagegrouse

doctorhook
09-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Boone = redshirt?

He is already a red-shirt junior, can he get another? Don't think so but not sure.

jimsumner
09-07-2013, 09:59 PM
He is already a red-shirt junior, can he get another? Don't think so but not sure.

Only if the first redshirt was due to injury, which was not the case.

Duke has two true freshmen quarterbacks, Parker Boehme and Quay Chambers and two walk-ons, Robert Collins and Mackenzie Sovereign. Duke had hoped to redshirt both freshmen but that will not happen. Boehme almost certainly will become the second-team QB until the return of Boone and/or Sirk.

loran16
09-07-2013, 10:00 PM

Only with special clearance from the NCAA, and hopefully he'll be back by midseason.

jimsumner
09-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Only with special clearance from the NCAA, and hopefully he'll be back by midseason.

Special clearance would only be granted if the first redshirt was medically-related. That was not the case with Boone, so it's a non-starter.

Kennny Anunike is a sixth -year senior because he was granted two medical redshirts.

loran16
09-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Special clearance would only be granted if the first redshirt was medically-related. That was not the case with Boone, so it's a non-starter.

Kennny Anunike is a sixth -year senior because he was granted two medical redshirts.

Thanks for clearing that up. So yeah, hopefully it's not that bad.

OldPhiKap
09-08-2013, 08:29 AM
I really dislike vigil threads, so I won't start one for Anthony. But I am really bummed about his injury, here is hoping for a full and quick recovery!

Indoor66
09-08-2013, 08:35 AM

I seem to remember seeing his right arm in a sling during the second half sideline shots.

billy
09-08-2013, 09:51 AM
N&O reports it's his throwing arm.

Also reports he's going to have a MRI; I'm honestly not sure why that would be needed for a clavicle fracture other than any time an athlete so much as stubs a toe everyone expects a MRI to be done. I hope it doesn't mean other damage to the shoulder is suspected.

As far as timeline for return, there's huge variability. Is it a hairline fracture or suspected fracture not well visualized on X-ray (hence the MRI)? If so, perhaps as little as 6 weeks (earlier would be conceivable but risky). If a more severe fracture could be several months if the fracture doesn't heal quickly. Surgery probably doesn't affect the timetable much; it again depends on biology, i.e. how quickly he heals. It will certainly be several months until it achieves it's maximum strength. There is some risk with playing before that occurs; not saying he won't play, just that there is some risk associated with doing so.

Not sure I added much to the timeline speculation. I've had athletes return as early as 6 weeks and some who've missed more than 3 months.

devildeac
09-08-2013, 02:43 PM

I really dislike vigil threads, so I won't start one for Anthony. But I am really bummed about his injury, here is hoping for a full and quick recovery!

Shoot, I'm waiting for someone to start the "It's Over" thread:rolleyes:. (kidding, folks, kidding)

jimsumner
09-08-2013, 04:12 PM
N&O reports it's his throwing arm.

Also reports he's going to have a MRI; I'm honestly not sure why that would be needed for a clavicle fracture other than any time an athlete so much as stubs a toe everyone expects a MRI to be done. I hope it doesn't mean other damage to the shoulder is suspected.

As far as timeline for return, there's huge variability. Is it a hairline fracture or suspected fracture not well visualized on X-ray (hence the MRI)? If so, perhaps as little as 6 weeks (earlier would be conceivable but risky). If a more severe fracture could be several months if the fracture doesn't heal quickly. Surgery probably doesn't affect the timetable much; it again depends on biology, i.e. how quickly he heals. It will certainly be several months until it achieves it's maximum strength. There is some risk with playing before that occurs; not saying he won't play, just that there is some risk associated with doing so.

Not sure I added much to the timeline speculation. I've had athletes return as early as 6 weeks and some who've missed more than 3 months.

Thanks for the informed post.

Henderson
09-08-2013, 04:40 PM
I thought it was interesting that the 6 point spread in favor of Duke was 4 points by game time. That's quite a shift, and I wonder what pushed that line so much. Nobody but the wise guys would bet down a Memphis-Duke line like that. And they got burned. What a shame.

"That's how you're going to beat 'em Butch. They keep underestimating you."
--Q.T.