PDA

View Full Version : How badly does UNC Football lose tonight?

FerryFor50
08-29-2013, 04:27 PM
I fully expect Jadeveon Clowney to terrorize the Tarholes. I also expect the ol' Ball Coach to pour it on, due to the Duke connection. What will be the final margin?

matt1
08-29-2013, 04:36 PM
48-10. Clowney gets a few good hits on Carolina players, but, unfortunately, nothing quite as good as his hit against Michigan on New Year's.

Duvall
08-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Hard to see South Carolina coming out sharp in the first game of the season, so UNC escapes with a narrow loss to the 13-point spread, maybe 35-17 or so.

Clowney still gets his trophy though.

hurleyfor3
08-29-2013, 06:09 PM
The poll closes tomorrow :p

wilko
08-29-2013, 06:12 PM
As long as they get embarrassed in the most imaginable way possible... I'm not going to quibble over numbers.

TruBlu
08-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Doesn't matter if UNC loses by 70 points, they will erect a billboard and hang a banner claiming 2nd place.

OldPhiKap
08-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Spurrier wouldn't dream of running up the score, would he?

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Spurrier wouldn't dream of running up the score, would he?
The game plan is simple: score early; score often.

FerryFor50
08-29-2013, 06:37 PM
The poll closes tomorrow :p

I wanted to give UNC a fighting chance. :p

Duvall
08-29-2013, 07:00 PM
UNC scores, this game is no longer scoreboard photo-worthy.

FerryFor50
08-29-2013, 07:02 PM
UNC scores, this game is no longer scoreboard photo-worthy.

Aided greatly by a phantom facemask call.

OldPhiKap
08-29-2013, 07:20 PM
UNC with the cheap head shot at a defenseless player. The Carolina Way lives on.

brevity
08-29-2013, 07:23 PM
UNC gets annihilated and Clowney takes home a powder blue helmet as a trophy

Head inside optional.

ChemGod
08-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Sitting in the "Light Horse" in Old Town Alexandria VA...Tar Hole fans seem to be pretty chipper down 10...and not really that close.

FerryFor50
08-29-2013, 07:33 PM
UNC with the cheap head shot at a defenseless player. The Carolina Way lives on.

No flag either. But they sure saw that borderline block in the back against SC on the same play!

OldPhiKap
08-29-2013, 08:10 PM
No flag either. But they sure saw that borderline block in the back against SC on the same play!

Exactly. ACC ref unit.

Good hold by SC on the first drive of second half, but boy their D looks tired.

Edit: as soon as I hit send . . . .

FerryFor50
08-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Lightning delay?

I guess Zeus is a Carolina fan, too...

OldPhiKap
08-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Another tar hole cheap shot -- must have decided to amp it up during the delay.

moonpie23
08-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Final: 27-10 USC.....

dirty plays: UNC 3- USC 0

brevity
08-30-2013, 01:32 AM
Final: 27-10 USC.....

I'm so glad that this in-state rivalry (http://deadspin.com/ny-post-declares-carolina-its-own-state-1223773623) came to a proper conclusion.

matt1
08-30-2013, 01:57 AM
I would have loved it if South Carolina could have completed that last pass!

oldnavy
08-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Just read the link on the front page and the SC coaches comments about the game and his defense being winded due to the fast pace UNC plays. I understand the advantage of running a hurry up offense that doesn't give the defense time to substitute based on offensive subs, butt...

it has always seemed to me that this would cut both ways with regard to fatigue. If the offense is running without rest (linemen, QB, and often receivers), why should fatigue only affect the defense?

Bottom line, I think it is just a matter of conditioning and game prep.

You can say we weren't as prepared for their sets, or we couldn't adjust as quickly on the line of scrimmage as we would have liked, or whatever, but saying it was "fatigue" because the other team played fast is just an excuse IMO because the other guys were playing fast too....

I get the feeling that USC thought they would/should roll all over UNC and that Clowney would make EVERY tackle for a loss. Maybe Clowney is human after all and isn't an ALL NFL player... just yet?

OldPhiKap
08-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Just read the link on the front page and the SC coaches comments about the game and his defense being winded due to the fast pace UNC plays. I understand the advantage of running a hurry up offense that doesn't give the defense time to substitute based on offensive subs, butt...

it has always seemed to me that this would cut both ways with regard to fatigue. If the offense is running without rest (linemen, QB, and often receivers), why should fatigue only affect the defense?

While I think there is a lot of truth to this, the offense does have some advantages. For example, it can choose when to substitute personnel -- the defense cannot really do it unless the offense does it first. So the offense has the ability to set the pace (assuming no incomplete passes) and take advantage of mismatches. Also, the offensive players know where they are supposed to go on a called play, which is more efficient than a defender who has to expend energy anticipating that every play is coming their way.

But yeah, the knock on Clowney is conditioning and there were whispers that he did not really dedicate himself fully over the summer. We will see next week in Athens.

oldnavy
08-30-2013, 03:57 PM
While I think there is a lot of truth to this, the offense does have some advantages. For example, it can choose when to substitute personnel -- the defense cannot really do it unless the offense does it first. So the offense has the ability to set the pace (assuming no incomplete passes) and take advantage of mismatches. Also, the offensive players know where they are supposed to go on a called play, which is more efficient than a defender who has to expend energy anticipating that every play is coming their way.

But yeah, the knock on Clowney is conditioning and there were whispers that he did not really dedicate himself fully over the summer. We will see next week in Athens.

I agree that there is a small advantage to the offense. But rarely do you see the offense subbing in linemen who are the largest and most susceptible to getting winded...

Back in the day we played both ways, and I don't remember one being any more taxing than the other.... I actually preferred defense, of course that was a thousand years ago so I could be a little fuzzy on the details!! :confused:

OldPhiKap
08-30-2013, 04:00 PM
I agree that there is a small advantage to the offense. But rarely do you see the offense subbing in linemen who are the largest and most susceptible to getting winded...

Back in the day we played both ways, and I don't remember one being any more taxing than the other.... I actually preferred defense, of course that was a thousand years ago so I could be a little fuzzy on the details!! :confused:

I think the NFL just had a settlement about fuzzy details from former players . . . . ;>)

subzero02
08-30-2013, 11:08 PM

You can say we weren't as prepared for their sets, or we couldn't adjust as quickly on the line of scrimmage as we would have liked, or whatever, but saying it was "fatigue" because the other team played fast is just an excuse IMO because the other guys were playing fast too....

I get the feeling that USC thought they would/should roll all over UNC and that Clowney would make EVERY tackle for a loss. Maybe Clowney is human after all and isn't an ALL NFL player... just yet?

Have you watched Oregon's offense within the last 5 years. A few years ago several teams had defensive players fake injuries in order to slow their break neck pace.

Des Esseintes
08-30-2013, 11:43 PM

I think it's generally accepted that playing defense is more taxing than playing offense. Look at college football overtimes, for instance, in which teams seem to take turns scoring on each other at will. I'm sure offenses get exhausted, too, but they gain a big net benefit from running a ton of plays and keeping the D on the field. My guess: 1) weariness leads to mistakes and blown assignments, and 2) blown assignments pose have a *much* greater potential for catastrophic outcomes on the defensive side of the ball.

subzero02
08-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Also, generally speaking, offensive linemen tend to cause more fatigue for defensive linemen than vice a versa. This is primarily due to offensive linemen having a size advantage.