PDA

View Full Version : Manziel's NCAA Punishment

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-28-2013, 05:45 PM
So.... Manziel gets a 30 minute suspension? (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9609389/johnny-manziel-texas-aggies-suspended-1st-half-season-opener-rice-owls) The NCAA really is spineless. Amazing.

Thank goodness games are finally going to start.

brevity
08-28-2013, 11:44 PM
So.... Manziel gets a 30 minute suspension? (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9609389/johnny-manziel-texas-aggies-suspended-1st-half-season-opener-rice-owls) The NCAA really is spineless. Amazing.

Thank goodness games are finally going to start.

He should sign autographs during the first half. Just set up a table by the sidelines. Charge the going rate for a signed photo. And charge a premium rate for a signed copy of the NCAA's strongly worded letter.

Meanwhile, Jay Bilas has a few things to say about this on Twitter. When it comes to Manziel's punishment, we are only being told half the story (https://twitter.com/JayBilas/status/372823587192700928/photo/1).

JasonEvans
08-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Must read column (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--johnny-manziel-s-suspension-exposes-ridiculousness-of-ncaa-s-double-standards-012517037.html) by Dan Wetzel on how truly absurd the NCAA's ruling is. He points out a pretty hysterical double-standard at play here...

the NCAA couldn't prove Manziel was paid by memorabilia dealers to sign his own name on pictures of himself. They instead hit him because it was obvious that the thousands of items he autographed were certainly going to be sold.

(Apparently, the "he-said-it-was-for-his-sick-nephew" excuse works with the NCAA on only the first 500 or so items.)

Johnny Manziel was punished – lightly, but still punished – by the NCAA because he knew someone was going to make money off his likeness and he didn't stop it.

It sure is a good thing the NCAA is cracking down on that kind of activity from nefarious entities interested in profiting off "Johnny Football" T-shirts, sweatshirts, posters, etc., not to mention using his image to promote a commercial product to be sold … you know, nefarious entities like the NCAA, the SEC, the BCS, Texas A&M, Nike, EA Sports, CBS, ESPN, Yahoo! Sports and heaven knows how many other "partner" businesses.

-Jason "it would be awesome if Johnny had a huge autograph signing session on the sidelines during the first half... great idea!" Evans

MCFinARL
08-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Must read column (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--johnny-manziel-s-suspension-exposes-ridiculousness-of-ncaa-s-double-standards-012517037.html) by Dan Wetzel on how truly absurd the NCAA's ruling is. He points out a pretty hysterical double-standard at play here...

-Jason "it would be awesome if Johnny had a huge autograph signing session on the sidelines during the first half... great idea!" Evans

As if we needed it, even more prove that it isn't about preserving "amateurism," it's about protecting the NCAA revenue stream from competition.

PS the Jay Bilas tweet linked above by brevity is hilarious. I am not a fan of Twitter, which, 90% of the time, seems like a colossal timesuck, but Bilas's tweets are almost always worth the time it takes to read them.

matt1
08-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Something does not make sense. The NCAA said that it found no infractions but still suspended him (albeit for only a half). I think that there was a deal that we will never know about.

devildeac
08-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Something does not make sense. The NCAA said that it found no infractions but still suspended him (albeit for only a half). I think that there was a deal that we will never know about.

He probably promised to attend class/es and not drive more than 28 MPH over the speed limit:rolleyes:.

Channing
08-29-2013, 01:21 PM
did the NCAA suspend Manziel or did Texas A&M propose the suspension and the NCAA just agreed? Its ridiculous if the NCAA came up with the half game, but if the NCAA wasn't going to suspend him, and Texas A&M proposed a half game, its a little more palatable.

Also, what did AJ Green do a few years ago to get suspended? I thought he gave someone a jersey for them to sell, which seems basically like the same thing.

Dev11
08-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Logistically, how does it work on game day for Manziel? Does he come out hours before the game and warm up with his team, then head back to the locker room, suit up, and just sit around waiting for halftime? Can he come on the field while he is suspended, or sit with the coordinators upstairs?

I agree, it's a silly punishment. I'd bet that A&M offered it, as in, "we'll keep Johnny out of the first half, just stop trying to dig for details and put this behind everybody." That scenario is definitely shady, but in the end, I don't think Manziel hurt anybody or gave his team an unfair advantage if he did make a few bucks signing autographs.

hurleyfor3
08-29-2013, 06:03 PM
So extrapolating, PJ Hairston's punishment will be to sit out the Holy Cross game until the first teevee timeout.

devildeac
08-29-2013, 10:48 PM
So extrapolating, PJ Hairston's punishment will be to sit out the Holy Cross game until the first teevee timeout.

Sounds about right because if it was until ol roy's first time out, that suspension could last considerably longer:rolleyes:.

Buckeye Devil
08-30-2013, 07:59 AM
"In addition to the suspension, Manziel will speak to his teammates about lessons learned from the situation and A&M will educate its athletes about signing multiple items for individuals."

Rumor has it that Manziel will do a video addressing his teammates during the 1st half of the Rice game with signed copies available at the next home game. In addition to these important life lessons Manziel will also provide instructions on how to avoid behaviors that result in getting kicked out of parties at UT. The beat goes on with SEC infractions being ignored.

A-Tex Devil
08-30-2013, 11:59 AM
I want to see the kid play and have to go a second time around against the SEC (for better or for worse), so for selfish reasons, I'm glad it's light.

The infraction was "allowing" his signed images to be sold by/fall into the hands of brokers. But I agree, it was a HUGE double standard, especially since the Cam Newton loophole has been closed.

By suspending him for one half, the NCAA/A&M basically admitted there was wrongdoing, but also admitted they don't want to risk the ratings/ticket sales for the 'Bama game in College Station in 2 weeks.

Myck Kabongo and every other basketball player that has sat waiting for the NCAA to make a decision while its team self-suspended the player have to be shaking their heads right now.